On Air Now

Listen Now

Weather

clear-day
71°
Partly Cloudy
H 74° L 55°
  • clear-day
    71°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 74° L 55°
  • cloudy-day
    57°
    Morning
    Partly Cloudy. H 74° L 55°
  • clear-day
    68°
    Afternoon
    Sunny. H 70° L 51°
Listen
Pause
Error

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Local
Senator Rick Scott returns to Orlando to promote Hurricane preparedness
Close

Senator Rick Scott returns to Orlando to promote Hurricane preparedness

Senator Rick Scott returns to Orlando to promote Hurricane preparedness

Senator Rick Scott returns to Orlando to promote Hurricane preparedness

Senator Rick Scott visited Orlando Wednesday to promote Hurricane preparedness ahead of the start of the 2019 Hurricane Season on June 1st.

The Senator visited Toole’s University Ace Hardware, 3755 Alafaya Trail in Oviedo, and encouraged residents to stock up on supplies during upcoming tax free shopping days which takes place from Friday May 31, through June . 

Senator Scott was joined by local officials and representatives from the Small Business Administration, the Department of Housing and Urban Development and the American Red Cross to share resources and tools available to Floridians ahead of storm season. 

Scott visited Pensacola yesterday and will be in Jacksonville and Tampa Thursday.

Visit our Hurricane preparedness guide by clicking  right here. 

Read More

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • The rock band Kiss has been known to perform in large venues for thousands of fans for more than four decades. However now, they have a new audience waiting for them in Australia: Great White sharks! According to Live Science, the band will take the stage today on a boat in the Indian Ocean and blast their music through underwater speakers. Meanwhile 8 people on a second boat with a glass viewing panel will watch as the sharks respond to the sounds of rock and roll. This concert is part of a 12 hour tour to an offshore spot near Port Lincoln, which is a known feeding ground for the sharks.  Why, you may ask? Airbnb, who is presenting the concert, says that this experience was created 'to educate people and show them that sharks are worthy of respect, empathy and protection.' A documentary on Discovery Channel back in 2015 also says that sharks have been known to be attracted to the sounds of heavy metal.  Interestingly enough, since sharks don't have outer ears, they rely on their inner ears through a hole on each side of their head and use an extra sensory system called the lateral line to detect vibrations in the water. Just in case you were wondering what songs would be a part of the playlist, guitarist Paul Stanley told the Rolling Stone that it would include 'Lick It Up' and 'I Want You'.
  • Four people died Sunday night after at least two gunmen opened fire at a family party in a backyard in Fresno, California, according to police. >> Read more trending news  Police continue to search for suspects in the shooting, which left six other people injured with gunshot wounds. Pao Yang, chief executive officer for the nonprofit community group The Fresno Center, said the victims included two people who were well-known in the local Hmong community. Here are the latest updates: Update 3:15 p.m. EST Nov. 18: At a news conference Monday, police Chief Andrew Hall said Sunday's shooting 'was not a random act.' 'It appears that this incident was a targeted act of violence against this residence,' Hall said. Police were investigating a possible connection between the shooting and an incident involving some people who were at the family party on Sunday night. 'We do have information that possibly some people at this party were involved in a disturbance earlier this week,' Hall said. He later added that 'everybody that (was) at this event are truly victims, however, we don't know everybody that was there.' At least two gunmen used an unlocked side gate to get into the backyard Sunday night. Hall said they appeared to have fired into the crowd in the backyard at random. 'It does not appear that they were targeting any individuals,' Hall said. 'Once they fired their rounds, they left.' He said it was pure luck that no women or children were injured in the attack, as temperatures had cooled shortly before the shooting and prompted them to go inside. About 16 men remained outside to watch a football game, Hall said. Bullets struck 10 people between the ages of 28 and 40. Hall identified the slain victims as a 23-year-old man, a 31-year-old man, a 38-year-old man and a 40-year-old man, though he declined to release their names until after all family notifications were completed. Pao Yang, chief executive officer for the nonprofit community group The Fresno Center, said the victims included two people who were well-known in the local Hmong community. He said the 40-year-old victim, 'came out almost every month to sing to our mental health clients.' Officials are offering a $5,000 cash reward for anyone with information leading to the arrest of the people responsible for Sunday's shooting. Update 2:20 p.m. EST Nov. 18: Authorities in Fresno are holding a news conference to update the public on Sunday night's deadly shooting. Update 3:23 a.m. EST Nov. 18: According to the Fresno Bee, the shooting occurred shortly before 8 p.m. outside a home on East Lamona Avenue.  'Everyone was watching football this evening when unknown suspects approached the residence, snuck into the backyard and opened fire,' Fresno police Lt. Bill Dooley said late Sunday. The slain victims were all men in their mid-20s to mid-30s, the Bee reported. Five others who were shot are being treated at Community Regional Medical Center, while a sixth victim who suffered 'a graze wound' was taken to a different hospital, CNN reported. Police have not released any information about possible suspects or a getaway vehicle, the outlets reported. Original report:  A family gathering was disrupted by gunfire when a shooter opened fire, striking at least nine people during a backyard football watch party in California, police say.  An unknown suspect snuck into the backyard and started firing indiscriminately while multiple people were watching a football game around 7 p.m., KMPH reported.  Several people were taken to the hospital.  This is a developing story. Check back for updates. 
  • A Florida woman is facing charges of child neglect after authorities said she left three young children home alone for weeks in a room bereft of furniture. >> Read more trending news  One of the children told police on Nov. 8 that he hadn't had contact with Maria Trinidad Perez, 32, in at least two weeks. He said the only times he saw her was when she was dropping off food. Perez's roommate called authorities Nov. 8 to report he hadn't seen her in three weeks. He led police to a back bedroom where officers found three children, described in a probable cause affidavit as a 'pre teen aged boy, (an) elementary aged boy and a small child.' Authorities said they appeared to be dressed for school, though it was already 11:15 a.m. by the time officers found them. A school social worker told deputies the children were absent from classes for the three days prior to the police report and that they were late to school in the three days before that. The social worker added that the children 'have missed 15 days total this year,' according to authorities. The oldest child told investigators he last saw Perez around 6 p.m. the day before, when she met him in the carport to give him food from McDonald's to give to the other children. He said she was with a woman he didn't recognize and that after she left, he was unable to reach her. Deputies discovered the youngest child, a 3-year-old boy who was asleep when authorities found him, sweating profusely with a temperature of 99.1 degrees. He had a small cut on his forearm, which came from an exposed pipe that was sticking out of the floor, investigators said. '(One of the children) said on the weekends, the (redacted) sit in the room alone as there is not much for them to do,' according to the probable cause affidavit. 'He said they have not had furniture in a few days. He said laundry had not been done for them in about a week.' Deputies were eventually able to get hold of Perez, who told police she was at work. Her roommate, however, told police she had no job and that he didn't know where she went every day. When Perez arrived at the home, deputies noted she 'appeared disheveled.' 'I asked her why (redacted) were late to school and she said it was because he (redacted) broke his arm three months ago and has a doctor's note,' a Palm Beach County deputy wrote in the probable cause affidavit. 'I asked her why the (redacted) have not had breakfast and she said she was coming to take them. I asked how she was going to do that when she was at work and she said she was going to bring them after. I reminded her it was almost noon and she shrugged.' On Nov. 8, deputies arrested Perez on three counts of neglect of a child without great bodily harm, according to jail records. She was released on bail the following day.
  • Students and staff at a local Orange County  high school are safe after an attempted robbery at a nearby bank forced them into a lockout Monday morning. Orange County deputies say it happened around 11:18 a.m. outside a Trustco Bank on South John Young Parkway located near Freedom High School. The lockout meant no one was allowed to come in or leave the campus, but school operations did resume as normal inside the school.  Deputies say they did not see a weapon during the attempted robbery, and that the suspect managed to escape, and they are still actively looking for that suspect. The principal confirms that since then, the lockout has been lifted and that everyone at the school is okay.
  • A worker at a major Orlando theme park claims he was watching porn when investigators came to his home in Kissimmee with a search warrant. According to a criminal complaint filed last week, investigators with the Department of Homeland Security found evidence that Nicholas Bishop had uploaded and shared hundreds of videos and pictures of child pornography across the web. The complaint says the children involved ranged from toddlers to preteens.  Bishop told investigators that he works in crowd control at a 'major theme park in the Orlando area frequented by children', but did not reveal which major theme park he works for. Investigators say when they first asked him about the child porn, he said he was looking online to bust pedophiles, but later confessed that he was looking up the inappropriate material and traded them for his own enjoyment.  The complaint also states that he started watching the video as early as November 14, the day investigated showed up at his door, and that he even stole a 6 year old's used underwear from another state and brought it with him here to Florida. Bishop denied any abuse, but confessed to taking photos of two children. Bishop now faces charges of possession of child pornography.

Washington Insider

  • With Democrats on a House panel offering lawyers for President Donald Trump ten extra days to submit legal arguments to the U.S. Supreme Court on a subpoena to his accounting firm for his tax returns, Chief Justice John Roberts on Monday granted a temporary stay of an appeals court order requiring that those financial documents be provided to Congress on Wednesday. 'IT IS ORDERED that the mandate of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, case No. 19-5142, is hereby stayed pending receipt of a response, due on or before Thursday, November 21, 2019, by 3 p.m. ET, and further order of the undersigned or of the Court,' the Chief Justice wrote in a Monday order. The move came after the House Oversight and Reform Committee filed a letter agreeing to give the President's legal team extra time to deal with the case. Without such action, the appeals court order for the President's accounting firm, Mazar's, to produce the financial documents requested by Congress would have taken effect on Wednesday. The move by the Chief Justice was what is known as an 'administrative stay' - not really getting to the merits of the matter. 'This is a totally standard procedural move, nothing more,' tweeted Steve Vladeck, a law professor at the University of Texas. It's likely the broader issues could be considered at a regularly scheduled conference meeting on Friday, where the Justices consider whether to take up certain cases before the High Court. The Supreme Court has several options - the Justices could allow the lower court ruling to stand, which ordered Mazar's to abide by the subpoena, and turn over the President's documents. Or, the Justices could decide to hold a special set of arguments on the case. President Trump's legal team has already asked the U.S. Supreme Court to intervene and block a similar subpoena from prosecutors in New York City, who are also seeking the President's financial records from Mazar. The Supreme Court has not taken any action with respect to that New York case.  As for the matter involving the House Oversight Committee, lower courts have ruled against the President's bid to block a subpoena to his accounting firm as well. In the New York case, the President's lawyers told the Supreme Court last week that Mr. Trump has 'absolute immunity' from any criminal investigation while in office.