ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

clear-day
77°
Partly Cloudy
H 85° L 74°
  • clear-day
    77°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 85° L 74°
  • cloudy-day
    80°
    Evening
    Partly Cloudy. H 85° L 74°
  • clear-night
    75°
    Morning
    Mostly Clear. H 88° L 73°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Local
Magic's Redick to donate $25k to Russell Home
Close

Magic's Redick to donate $25k to Russell Home

Magic's Redick to donate $25k to Russell Home

Magic's Redick to donate $25k to Russell Home

Orlando, Fla.Orlando Magic guard J.J. Redick will present the Russell Home with a check for $25,000 on Wednesday. 

Along with Redick, the children will also receive a visit from STUFF the Magic mascot.

Redick’s donation to the Russell Home is part of winning the 2011-12 Rich and Helen DeVos Community Enrichment Award.  Each year, the Orlando Magic honors a player who has dedicated his efforts off the court for the purpose of enhancing others’ lives at the annual Orlando Magic Youth Foundation Black Tie and Tennies Gala. In addition to receiving the award, the player is granted $50,000 from the Richard and Helen DeVos Foundation to donate to the charity of his choice.  Redick will donate the other $25,000 to another organization in Central Florida at a later date.

Russell Home was the first non-profit institution in the country for brain-damaged children.  Mrs. Russell first opened her home to the first child on Nov. 13, 1951 to “see if it would work out.” Since then, the home has opened its doors to hundreds of youngsters, sometimes after hearing pleas from desperate parents, and in more than one instance, finding them just left on the doorstep.  The physical home consists of a nursery, dormitory wing, playrooms, living room areas, kitchen and large laundry room.

Redick and his Magic opening training camp on Monday at Amway Center.

 

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • Iran tested a new ballistic missile that reportedly is capable of carrying multiple warheads, CNN reported Saturday, citing the nation's state-run broadcaster announced. >> Read more trending news “Iran has released footage of the successful test-launch of its new ballistic missile, Khorramshahr, a few hours after it was unveiled during a military parade in the capital city of Tehran,” Press TV said. “The Khorramshahr missile has become smaller in size and more tactical and it will be operational in the near future.” The missile was launched from an unknown location, CNN reported. Called the Khorramshahr missile, the weapon has a range of 1,250 miles and can carry multiple warheads, according to Press TV. That would make it capable of reaching Israel and Saudi Arabia, CNN reported. Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said Friday that the country would press ahead with strengthening its missile capabilities and military defenses, Press TV reported. “We will promote our defensive and military power as much as we deem necessary,' Rouhani said. “We seek no one's permission to defend our land.” “Whether you like it or not we are going to help Syria, Yemen, and Palestine, and we will strengthen our missiles.”
  • With Friday’s decision by Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) to oppose a last-ditch GOP proposal to overhaul the Obama health law, Republicans have almost run out of time to make substantive changes to Obamacare by a September 30 deadline for action under a special expedited procedure that did not allow for a Senate filibuster, again dealing the President and GOP leaders a bitter defeat on an issue they’ve campaigned on for the last seven years. Here’s what can still happen over the next week – and in coming months on Capitol Hill. 1. There could still be a vote on Graham-Cassidy. While Sen. McCain has made clear that he won’t vote for the plan from Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) and Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-LA), it’s possible that the Senate could still go on the record on the matter. Aides to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said earlier this week that he planned to force a vote, and that could still happen, to clearly show who was for the plan, and who was not. But for now, it seems like the GOP will fail to get anything done on this signature campaign issue, with McCain, Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) definitely against the plan – and two others, Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) and Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) leaning against. I cannot in good conscience vote for Graham-Cassidy. A bill impacting so many lives deserves a bipartisan approach. https://t.co/2sDjhw6Era pic.twitter.com/30OWezQpLg — John McCain (@SenJohnMcCain) September 22, 2017 2. It could re-start bipartisan health talks. Up until last week, when GOP interest suddenly surged in the Graham-Cassidy plan, there had been increasing efforts to find some kind of agreement between Senators in both parties on ways to make some short term improvements in the Obama health care system for those in the individual and non-group insurance market. Those efforts were put on the shelf in recent days, but now this development leaves an opening for Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN) and Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA). I'm proud of you, John. It's time for the resumption of the bipartisan Alexander/Murray plan, and I'm ready to help however I can. https://t.co/xu2e3higf3 — John Kasich (@JohnKasich) September 22, 2017 3. GOP health care efforts are certainly not dead. Just because the Graham-Cassidy plan has seemingly fallen short, that doesn’t mean Republicans will give up on their plans to change the Obama health law. For the next fiscal year, the GOP wants to use the budget reconciliation process to pass something on tax cuts and tax reform. Well – there is no reason that they can’t also try to add a health care bill onto that measure as well. One Senate official told me exactly that a few weeks ago. So, this battle is not over. But waiting to do health care on next budget reconciliation bill would give CBO time to fully analyze #GrahamCassidy's impact — Manu Raju (@mkraju) September 22, 2017 4. Republicans just weren’t ready for this process. Maybe the biggest lesson from the after-action report on GOP health care bills over the last nine months is a simple one – Republicans were not ready with their own plan to replace the Obama health law, even though they had been talking about this for seven straight years. Ever since the law was signed by President Obama, Republicans had promised to repeal it, and do something different. As a slogan it sounded great – but as we saw in recent weeks, getting the exact details was something different. The GOP has had 7+ years to come up with a healthcare bill. They've also had a full majority for 8 months. And still nothing. Embarrassing! — Mitch Drabenstott (@mitchdwx) September 22, 2017 5. Democrats have also had 7 years to make improvements. Just as the GOP failed in rallying around a single plan, Democrats also didn’t exactly ring the bell in recent years on how best to improve the Obamacare system. Yes, they admit, things aren’t working perfectly, but they certainly haven’t been talking about what exactly should change, or might be changed. Could we see something different now that Graham-Cassidy seems to be dead? Or will Democrats still just sort of circle the wagons to protect President Obama’s top legislative accomplishment? This is the time for bipartisan action – but that’s easier said than done. McCain's advice for Congress: Republicans and Democrats must work together to improve health care. — Cary Weldy (@caryweldy) September 22, 2017
  • A Foxborough, Massachusetts, man shot and killed his 6-year-old son Thursday night before turning the gun on himself and committing suicide, the Norfolk County District Attorney said Friday morning. Around 11:30 p.m. Thursday, the Foxborough Police Department received a 911 call from a neighbor to report what appeared to be a medical emergency. >> Read more trending news “First responders came to the scene and located 6-year-old Anthony Scaccia suffering from a single gunshot wound,” District Attorney Michael Morrissey said at a news conference Friday morning. “He was taken to Norwood Hospital where he was pronounced dead.” First responders also located William Scaccia Jr., 49, Anthony’s father, dead from a single gunshot wound to the head, Morrissey said. >> Related: Mother feared father would kill son, self, affidavit says “As far as we know he was not living at that house,” Foxborough police Chief William Baker said. “The occupants of the house, including this child, had a family relationship with him and had lived there previously.” Baker said the police department had previous run-ins with William Scaccia. “The history recently led me to deny him a pistol permit in July of this year,” Baker said. “He appealed that denial to the District Court in Wrentham. On Sept. 8, the judge in the District Court supported my denial, preventing him from being licensed from having a firearm.” Baker reiterated the fact that they had previous history with William Scaccia, which were described as “family and domestic relationships,” which, he said, were complicated. One of those run-ins with police, Baker said, led to his arrest on Sept. 16. The incident is under investigation by state and local authorities, and Morrissey said a weapon and shell casings were recovered from the scene. “There was also some evidence that an accelerant was spread through parts of the house and in a hallway area and upstairs,” Morrissey said.  The boy’s grandmother was asleep in the home and awoke to smoke and flames. She was able to extinguish the fire before first responders arrived. Baker said the most important part of this incident, in his opinion, was the killing of Anthony Scaccia. He said that in his previous jurisdictions the police department created public service announcements pleading to “people on the edge” to reach out to clergy or other resources to get them the help they need.  “Seek help rather than make a horrific decision like this, to take the life of an innocent child,” Baker said.  Foxborough Public Schools Superintendent Debbie Spinelli said the entire community was shaken. “Our hearts go out to this sweet little boy who was just starting his educational journey and to those who loved and cared for him,” Spinelli said in a statement. “Counselors are available at school (Friday) morning for our students and staff, and will continue next week.”
  • Orange County Commissioner Jennifer Thompson is leading a relief effort on September 30, while the Florida Hispanic Chamber of Commerce is also collecting supplies for hurricane victims in Puerto Rico this weekend. Thompson is asking people to assemble what she calls “boxes of love” that contain mostly personal hygiene products packed in study boxes that can be stacked and shipped to the island. Her goal is collect enough supplies to fill two shipping containers. At the same time, Florida’s Hispanic Chamber of Commerce is heading up collection efforts around the state, particularly in Central Florida where most Puerto Ricans have settled. Melao Bakery, 2001 Consulate Drive, is the drop off point. “There is an urgent request for power plants and gas-powered chain saws,” explained Pastor Gary Berrios. He said the bakery itself has donated 60 generators to the effort. Donations of personal items are also being accepted. A small plane has been secured to fly back and forth to Puerto Rico, perhaps as soon as next week, Berrios explained. Click here to learn how to contribute to the chamber’s relief drive. 
  • Melbourne Beach is now home to Florida’s newest temporary tourist attraction: the “ghost ship.” An unoccupied 45-foot sailboat named “Cuki” washed ashore and was spotted Tuesday morning at Spessard Holland South Beach Park by a jogger. Don Walker with Brevard County said it could take at least a few more weeks and up to two months to remove the vessel. “We don’t know how it got here other than the fact that it must’ve hit the current, come up the east coast and ended up on our shoreline,” Walker said. Walker said even though the stern says “New Rochelle, New York,” it was traced back to an owner in Key West who is currently in jail. “It’s actually become kind of a post-storm landmark because it’s such an eye-catcher so to speak,” he said. Walker says the Coast Guard already inspected it.  They still have to take fuel and propane off of it.  The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is doing a report on it. Walker says ultimately it’ll end up in Brevard County’s hands to remove it. “It’s a public hazard so the sooner the better,” he said.