ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

clear-day
83°
Sct Thunderstorms
H 93° L 75°
  • clear-day
    83°
    Current Conditions
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 93° L 75°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    88°
    Afternoon
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 93° L 75°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    81°
    Evening
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 90° L 75°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

The Latest from News 96.5 WDBO

    Oviedo Mayor Dominic Persampiere announced that he will not seek reelection today, after more than 20 years in city government. Persampiere said the decision is because he wants to spend more time with his family, and work on growing his business. Previously, he had served as an Oviedo city councilman before running for mayor. He’s been serving as Mayor since 2011.  Two months ago, Persampiere was involved in a dispute with a neighbor that led to police involvement, but a judge dismissed an injunction filed against him.
  • Disney World is hiring part-time workers to operate it's Disney Skyliner, set to debut in late September. The new transportation system will connect Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios and four nearby resort hotels.  Skyliner workers will be responsible for greeting guests, loading and unloading the gondolas, as well as, monitoring the gondola system and providing audience control, according to a job posting.  The starting pay will be $12 an hour according to the posting, but Skyliner workers will be eligible for Disney's new starting rate of $13 as of September 29, 2019  Click here to apply
  • President Trump continues his public criticism of House democrats Ayanna Pressley, Rashida Tlaib, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Ilhan Omar. He tweets, “The “Squad” is a very Racist group of troublemakers who are young, inexperienced, and not very smart. They are pulling the once great Democrat Party far left, and were against humanitarian aid at the Border...And are now against ICE and Homeland Security. So bad for our Country!” These comments come after President Trump last week said those four freshman House Democrats should 'go back to the crime infested places' from which they came. This also comes after a crowd at a Trump campaign rally in North Carolina chanted 'send her back.
  • A tropical wave churning off shore has a low chance of developing further into a tropical system this upcoming week. This system could potentially bring a surge in moisture to Florida.  Considering its position, movement and forward speed, this tropical wave is expected to be near or at our latitude by Tuesday.  As for Monday's forecast, WFTV Channel 9 meteorologist Brian Shields said there's 50 percent chance of scattered rain and storms, mainly in the afternoon. The high temperature will still be toasty, clocking in at 93. By Tuesday, the few models currently available forecast the tropical system to be parallel to Central Florida. How close to Central Florida will it be? That will all depend on the high pressure system over the Atlantic Ocean.  Currently, we are monitoring this wave closely. The wave seems to be moving fast toward Florida, not giving it time to further develop as it gets close to Florida. We can expect high rain chances to start the week, especially Tuesday.  Temperatures will remain seasonably hot, with highs in the low 90s and lows in the mid-70s.
  • The Bachelorette finale is set for July 29, 2019 on our sister station WFTV channel 9 Eyewitness News, but Florida’s contender has another date, this one in court.  Tyler Cameron, aka Tyler C., is scheduled to appear in Palm Beach County court on Aug. 6, 2019. Police reports show he was involved in a car crash in his hometown of Jupiter, on May 21, about two weeks after the reality TV show would have stopped filming. The report shows construction at the time was causing traffic to stop and merge, but Cameron was unable to stop in time before he rear-ended a truck stopped in front of him.  A third car was also involved in the crash that caused an estimated $19,000 in damages to all three vehicles. Jupiter police cited Cameron for careless driving and fined him $166, but records show he did not pay the fine within the 30 day time period.  Court Documents show that Cameron’s driver’s license was suspended for almost a month for not paying the ticket. Just last week, Cameron pleaded not guilty to the careless driving charge and paid a $23 late fee to reinstate his license. A pre-trial hearing for his case is scheduled for Aug. 6, by then we will know if he has another date - this one at the alter!
  • Bud Light is getting on the fun surrounding the 'Area 51 raid' that's been in the news recently. First, the brand distanced itself, tweeting, 'We'd like to be the first brand to formally announce that we will not be sponsoring the Area 51 raid' early last week. But on Thursday (July 17th) Bud Light changed its tune, tweeting, 'Screw it. Free Bud Light to any alien that makes it out.' They followed that by announcing a special edition beer, the Area 51 Special Edition. The top of the can reads, 'Greetings Earthlings. This is the famous Area 51. We know of no space beer by any other life form which is brewed and aged to be more refreshing. Our cryogenic aging produces a light-bodied space lager with a fresh tastes, a crisp, clean finish, and a smooth drinkability. Take us to your leader...for drinks.
  • The heat is on across the nation and as the mercury continues to hover near the century mark the only relief, it seems, is to react on social media. You may have seen the post from the Montgomery County Fire Department in Maryland with what looked like corn popping on the stalk.  That turned out to be fake news and in a latter tweet the fire department admitted they had not actually seen the corn, but did reiterate that people should take the heat seriously.  The fire department is not the only one getting in on the trend, police are asking criminals to hold off on crime until the heat subsides. @breaking 911 shared a post which warns, “Conducting criminal activity,  in this extreme heat is next level henchmen status, but also very dangerous.” Meantime, people are worried about their pets who also are not fond of the heat. Many people showing their dogs cooling off in backyard pools or just opting not to go out at all. This tweet of a cat in front of a fan caught our eye, @raggapegs reminding everyone to check on each other and remember the furry friends are hot too.   In the meantime, some are embracing the hot weather,like this mother who posted her daughters new melted crayon art. And the National Weather Service decided to cook biscuits in on a car dashboard writing after eight hours, “The max temp on the pan was 185!” If all else fails, you can join the crew of Married with Children in the freezer section of your local grocery store. @trublueheel posting a picture of the Bundy family relaxing on lawn chairs saying, “Ya’ll want to join me in aisle 12 to cool off?”
  • Plastic straws get a lot of bad press these days and communities across the U.S. are now adopting rules to ban their use altogether but new research suggests cigarette butts are actually the worse things we as humans leave behind. A study on the long term environmental impact of cigarette butts was recently published in the journal Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety. Researchers with the University of Cambridge determined that cigarette butts can affect the germination success and growth of some plants.  They closely examined the affect of cigarette butts on clover and grass. Roots of clovers were particularly affected by cigarette butts which can cause concentrations of Chorophyll-a in clover.  The filters can also affect root biomass and root-to-shoot ratios of white clover.
  • Police in Orlando say they are investigating a shooting that happened at a 7-Eleven gas station near Universal Sunday night.  They say it happened around 10:30 pm, where they found a man with a gunshot wound. The victim, now identified as 23 year old Thiago Neves was taken to the hospital were he was pronounced dead. During the investigation, detectives focused the majority of their attention on a red car parked at a gas pump.  Police say this is an isolated incident and they are working to identify the people involved in the shooting.  Meanwhile, they are asking anyone who know any information about this incident to call Crimeline at 800-423-TIPS.
  • The Miss World America organization has stripped its Michigan pageant winner of her title, which she says was because of tweets she made about Muslims and black people. Kathy Zhu was crowned the pageant’s Michigan winner last week. She’s a University of Michigan conservative who’s active with a group called Chinese Americans for Trump, but also spent time at the University of Central Florida. In since-deleted tweets from the last two years, Zhu alluded to Muslim women wearing hijabs as “being oppressed under Islam” and disparaged black people for “blaming others” in regard to crime. Many of the tweets have been deleted but a Facebook post about a “try a hijab booth” on U.C.F. campus is still active. The booth was sponsored by a student Muslim group on World Hijab Day. In the post, Zhu asks if a hijab is a religious thing, a fashion accessory or a way to oppress women. App users click here to see the post.  Many called for disciplinary action after the post but U.C.F. officials said Zhu did not violate any rules of conduct. She later transferred to the University of Michigan. Fast forward to the current controversy, where Zhu posted a letter online in which pageant officials described her tweets as “offensive” and “inappropriate.” Zhu calls the decision discriminatory and defends the tweets. Pageant officials didn’t respond to a Sunday message seeking comment. It’s unclear who’ll represent Michigan in Miss World America’s October competition in Las Vegas. Miss World America is separate from the more widely-known Miss America contest.

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • Oviedo Mayor Dominic Persampiere announced that he will not seek reelection today, after more than 20 years in city government. Persampiere said the decision is because he wants to spend more time with his family, and work on growing his business. Previously, he had served as an Oviedo city councilman before running for mayor. He’s been serving as Mayor since 2011.  Two months ago, Persampiere was involved in a dispute with a neighbor that led to police involvement, but a judge dismissed an injunction filed against him.
  • Disney World is hiring part-time workers to operate it's Disney Skyliner, set to debut in late September. The new transportation system will connect Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios and four nearby resort hotels.  Skyliner workers will be responsible for greeting guests, loading and unloading the gondolas, as well as, monitoring the gondola system and providing audience control, according to a job posting.  The starting pay will be $12 an hour according to the posting, but Skyliner workers will be eligible for Disney's new starting rate of $13 as of September 29, 2019  Click here to apply
  • Aaron Carreto was enjoying his 10th birthday, playing outside his Compton home on July 6 when two neighbors tossed a lit, homemade firework at him, his family said. The boy reflexively grabbed the illegal firework, which exploded in his left hand, destroying four fingers and most of his palm, the Los Angeles Times reported. Aaron also lost a finger on his right hand and suffered burns on both hands, his face and his torso. One of the neighbors, Walter David Revolorio, 27, was arrested and charged with felony child cruelty and possession of a destructive device, the Times reported. The investigation is ongoing, but no charges had been filed against a second neighbor as of Monday. Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department officials had no immediate comment on the status of the investigation. Aaron told Fox 11 in Los Angeles he was playing outside in his neighborhood when he walked over to the neighbors to say hello. At one point, the men called out his name. “They said my name, and then I turned and my hand flipped over, so that’s when they handed the firework to me,” Aaron said. “I was about to throw it and it exploded in my hand.” The explosion was so great, it rocked nearby cars, Fox 11 reported. >> Read more trending news The Times reported that Aaron was immediately taken to Long Beach Memorial Medical Center, where he underwent a series of emergency surgeries. Doctors at UC Irvine Medical Center attached his left arm to his stomach to hopefully preserve nerve and skin tissue they can use to reconstruct his hand. Aaron’s older sister, Adriana Carreto, said doctors also reattached the finger her brother lost on his right hand. Carreto wrote on a GoFundMe page set up to help with Aaron’s medical expenses that he has a long recovery ahead, including at least two additional surgeries. Photos and video of the boy on the fundraising page, as well as on social media, show him with burns on his face and his left arm hidden under a hospital gown. Pain is etched on the boy’s face. “This incident changed his life, (his) way of living, but not his spirits,” Carreto wrote. “Everyone knows him as a social butterfly, always friendly to his teammates on the soccer team. He’s very caring and aware of other people’s needs.” Carreto wrote that her brother loves riding his bike with neighborhood friends and playing the popular online video game 'Fortnite' with classmates over their summer break. “Now with his new disability, he’ll find it difficult to adjust to his day to day lifestyle,” Carreto wrote. As of Monday afternoon, donors had raised more than $47,000 of the page's $50,000 goal to help Aaron and his family. Carreto said along with the physical pain her brother is in, he is also psychologically scarred. “He tells his family how he feels betrayed by those people around us and wants to start a new life far away from where he grew up,” Carreto wrote on the GoFundMe page. As of Monday, Aaron had been released from the hospital to continue his recovery at home. “I been reading all the positive and kind words to Aaron from his donors and he said he appreciates all the help and support,” Carreto wrote. “He said he feels happy with each and every one of you guys.” The distraught sister told ABC 7 she, however, is angry. “I’m angry because those two guys are adults and one of them has kids,” Carreto told the news station. “I’m pretty sure if it was his kid, he wouldn’t have let that happen.” Aaron told KTLA he wants to see both men punished for what they did to him. “Those guys who did this, I don’t want to see them no more,” Aaron told the news station. “I just wish that they could be in jail.” Revolorio remained Monday at the Los Angeles County Jail, where records show he is being held in lieu of $630,000 bond. The second neighbor accused in the incident has not been publicly identified.
  • President Trump continues his public criticism of House democrats Ayanna Pressley, Rashida Tlaib, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Ilhan Omar. He tweets, “The “Squad” is a very Racist group of troublemakers who are young, inexperienced, and not very smart. They are pulling the once great Democrat Party far left, and were against humanitarian aid at the Border...And are now against ICE and Homeland Security. So bad for our Country!” These comments come after President Trump last week said those four freshman House Democrats should 'go back to the crime infested places' from which they came. This also comes after a crowd at a Trump campaign rally in North Carolina chanted 'send her back.
  • A California woman and her boyfriend have been charged in connection with their newborn son’s death after investigators learned they strangled the boy at the hospital shortly after he was born, authorities said. Andrea Torralba, 20, and David Villa, 21, both of Oxnard, are being held in the Ventura County Jail on suspicion of felony assault on a child causing death, Oxnard Police Department officials said. Jail records show Villa, who is described as a field worker, is being held in lieu of $5 million. ABC 7 in Los Angeles reported that Torralba’s bail was set at $1 million. >> Read more trending news  Oxnard police investigators said officers were called just before 8 a.m. Friday to St. John’s Medical Center, where they learned a newborn boy was in critical condition with serious injuries. The boy was found unresponsive and despite all medical efforts, he died of his injuries. Detectives from the department’s Family Protection Unit learned that Torralba and Villa strangled the newborn until he lost consciousness, police officials said. Oxnard police Sgt. Brandon Ordelheide told ABC 7 that the couple, when questioned by detectives, admitted they did not want the baby. Both were arrested and charged in the boy’s death.

Washington Insider

  • In a dramatic expansion of a process known as 'expedited removal' of illegal immigrants in the United States, the Trump Administration will start applying that everywhere in the United States - to anyone who has been in the U.S. illegally for less than two years - as critics quickly said they would challenge the change in federal court. 'The effect of that change will be to enhance national security and public safety,' the Department of Homeland Security states in a new rule set to go into effect on Tuesday, which the notice says will allow 'DHS to address more effectively and efficiently the large volume of aliens who are present in the United States unlawfully.' Up until this change, expedited removal was only used for illegal immigrants who were detained within 100 miles of the border - now it can be enforced anywhere in the U.S. Under the Immigration and Nationality Act, the Trump Administration argues the Acting Homeland Security Secretary has the 'sole and unreviewable discretion' to change 'the scope of the expedited removal designation,' shifting it from the 100 mile policy to one that applies nationwide. Critics denounced the immigration policy change, with some vowing to challenge the move in court. 'One of the major problems with expedited removal is that the immigration officer making the decision virtually has unchecked authority,' said the American Immigration Council, as the process does not involve an immigration judge or any type of court hearing. 'We will sue to end this policy quickly,' said Omar Jadwat of the American Civil Liberties Union, who charged that deportations could occur with 'less due process than people get in traffic court.' 'This is a massive and dangerous change,' said Aaron Reichlin-Melnick of the American Immigration Council, which is joining in the ACLU legal challenge to the new policy. The announcement marked the second straight week that the Trump Administration had rolled out a new immigration policy - last Monday, the feds announced a new plan to restrict asylum claims by migrants from Central America. Those plans are also facing a legal challenge from the ACLU and other groups.