On Air Now

Listen Now

Weather

cloudy-day
60°
Cloudy
H 69° L 63°
  • cloudy-day
    60°
    Current Conditions
    Cloudy. H 69° L 63°
  • cloudy-day
    67°
    Afternoon
    Cloudy. H 69° L 63°
  • cloudy-day
    66°
    Evening
    Mostly Cloudy. H 69° L 63°
Listen
Pause
Error

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

State & Regional
Trump's Florida Mar-a-Lago resort in Hurricane Dorian's path
Close

Trump's Florida Mar-a-Lago resort in Hurricane Dorian's path

Trump's Florida Mar-a-Lago resort in Hurricane Dorian's path
Photo Credit: Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

FILE - In this Nov. 24, 2017, file photo shows President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach, Fla. Trump’s prized resort in Florida is potentially sitting directly in the path of Hurricane Dorian, which is forecast to become an extremely destructive storm. The resort, which is currently closed for the summer, is on the wealthy barrier island of Palm Beach. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)

Trump's Florida Mar-a-Lago resort in Hurricane Dorian's path

PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) - President Donald Trump's prized Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida could be directly in the path of Hurricane Dorian , which is forecast to become an extremely destructive storm.

The National Hurricane Center's most recent track for Dorian places Mar-a-Lago in the crosshairs of a fierce storm with winds of almost 140 mph (225 kph). The center said on Friday evening that Dorian had just reached "extremely dangerous" Category 4 status with winds already clocking 130 mph (215 kph).

The forecasters said the hurricane poses a menace to millions, particularly along Florida's heavily populated eastern coast, though they also noted that some of the more reliable computer models are predicting a late turn northward that would have Dorian hug the coast, delivering a glancing blow to the state.

The resort, currently closed for the summer, is on the wealthy barrier island of Palm Beach. No activity could be seen there Friday afternoon and the Trump Organization did not return a call seeking comment.

On Friday, Trump was asked how concerned he was about the hurricane threat to his resort and responded: "Well, you know I haven't even thought about until the question was just broached a little while ago. Yeah, it would look like Mar-a-Lago is dead center but look Mar-a-Lago can handle itself. That's a very powerful place."

He added: "The thing I'm worried about is the state of Florida because ... this could be a record-setting hurricane. Now maybe things change. We're hoping for one element that might happen and that's that it makes a right turn and goes up north just prior to or equal to hitting shore. That would be great, but that's a pretty small percentage at this point."

Mar-a-Lago, which dates from the 1920s, was built by cereal heiress Marjorie Merriweather Post, with the main mansion containing 126 rooms. Trump bought the place in 1985, after efforts to make it into a national park didn't work out.

During the cooler months, Trump visits the property frequently and has held several high-level meetings there with world leaders, such as Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe and China's Xi Jinping.

Hurricanes have always been a part of Mar-a-Lago.

In 2005, Trump said he received a $17 million insurance payment for hurricane damage to the resort, but an Associated Press investigation found little evidence of such large-scale damage.

At the time, Trump said he didn't know how much had been spent on repairs, but acknowledged he pocketed some of the money. He transferred funds into his personal accounts, saying that under the terms of his policy "you didn't have to reinvest it."

"Landscaping, roofing, walls, painting, leaks, artwork in the - you know, the great tapestries, tiles, Spanish tiles, the beach, the erosion," he said of the storm damage. "It's still not what it was."

Trump is a climate change skeptic whose policies have infuriated many environmentalists. Separately, when Dorian appeared headed to Puerto Rico he tweeted the American island is "one of the most corrupt places on earth. Their political system is broken and their politicians are either Incompetent or Corrupt."

Those sentiments led many Trump critics to publicly hope the storm steers toward Mar-a-Lago - although that would also mean disaster for nearby middle-class and low-income neighborhoods.

"I'm rooting for a direct hit on Mar a Lago!" former Canadian Prime Minister Kim Campbell tweeted Wednesday. Campbell, who served as prime minister for four months in 1993, later dialed that back, tweeting, "I know Palm Beach well and am sorry if it gets a big hit." Still, she said she hoped Dorian would "shake up Trump's climate change denial."

Eric Trump, the president's son, replied Friday to Campbell on Twitter: "Our family is rooting for the safety of millions of homes, businesses, families and wonderful people in a great State of Florida."

Meanwhile, local governments across Florida, including in Palm Beach County, are gearing up to deal with rising sea levels and possibly more intense hurricanes. If sea-level rise predictions even at the lower end come to pass, Mar-a-Lago could have ocean water lapping on its lawns in the not-too-distant future.

___

Anderson reported from Fort Lauderdale. AP reporter Terry Spencer in Fort Lauderdale contributed to this report.

___

For AP's complete coverage of the hurricane: https://apnews.com/Hurricanes .

Read More

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • Break out the sweaters and possibly the scarves, cool windy conditions have moved into Central Florida and showers are possible all morning. WFTV Meterologist Brian Shields says this is our “Florida Fall and many of us won’t get out of the 60s!” Here is the basic information Brian says you need to know:  A cold front moves over Central Florirda and low temperatures will mark into the upper 50s Wednesday morning. Isolated showers are possible through the morning hours, and then mainly along the coast on Wednesday afternoon. Cool Wednesday: The high temperatures on Wednesday won’t make it out of the 70s. Temperatures will feel colder because of the strong wind from the north. Pleasant rest of the week: Temperatures are set to stay in the 70s and 60s to close out the week only low chances of rain until Friday when another front is set to blow through.
  • Law enforcement officials said a Florida mother and two children who were abducted at gunpoint in Titusville have been found safe as of 5:50 a.m. Wednesday. >> Read more trending news  Here are the latest updates: Update 7:02 a.m. EST Nov. 13: The Florida Department of Law Enforcement canceled the Amber Alert issued for the children, and the Titusville Police Department confirmed that their mother, Melanie Martin, 30, was also found safe. Original report: An Amber Alert was issued Wednesday morning after police said a Florida woman and her two young children were abducted at gunpoint by the children's father in Titusville. Titusville police said Melanie Martin, 30, and her children Angel Burson, 5, and Lloyd Burson Jr., 3, were kidnapped by Lloyd Burson, 35, around 11:30 p.m. Tuesday in the area of the 1000 block of Third Avenue. Police said Martin and the children were last seen in a blue SUV driven by Burson headed north on I-95 toward Volusia County. Investigators said Burson is considered armed and dangerous. Anyone with information about this crime is urged to call the Titusville Police Department at 321-264-7800, or they can remain anonymous and be eligible for a reward by contacting CrimeLine at 1-800-423-TIPS. – Visit WFTV.com for the latest on this developing story.
  • Officials with the Orlando Fire Department announced late Tuesday evening that they arrested John Huff for arson in connection to the fire early that same morning at the Beefy King Restaurant. Huff was transported to the Orange County Jail. Investigators suspected arson when the saw the fire started outside the building near the back of the building rather than inside.  Additionally, surveillance footage from a nearby business shows a car in the parking lot of Beefy King at the time the fire started. In the meantime, firefighters said the damage to the building on Bumby Avenue is “fixable” and the owner of the iconic establishment known for its sandwiches says the will re-open as soon as possible.  The good news is there was minimal damage and no one was hurt. 
  • A Pennsylvania man whose baby boy suffered critical injuries in an October shooting purposely brought the infant along during drug deals to deter others from opening fire, authorities said. >> Read more trending news  According to the Philadelphia Inquirer and WPVI-TV, police arrested Nafes Monroe, 25, on Saturday, three weeks after his 11-month-old son, Yazeem Jenkins, was shot multiple times in north Philadelphia. Prosecutors said Monroe was trying to use counterfeit money to purchase drugs Oct. 19 when the suspected gunman, 29-year-old Francisco Ortiz, began shooting, the Inquirer reported. Yazeem, who was in a car with Monroe, his girlfriend and a second man, was hit in the chest, head and buttocks, authorities said. Afterward, Monroe took Yazeem to a home, then dropped the baby off at a nearby hospital, according to Anthony Voci of the Philadelphia District Attorney's Office. The boy's condition is still listed as critical, KYW-TV reported. Voci said Monroe had brought Yazeem with him during other drug purchases, as well, 'with the idea or belief that if someone saw that he had a child in the car, that they would not fire upon him,' the Inquirer reported. 'A 'human shield' is probably the term that I would use,' Voci said, according to the newspaper. Monroe now faces charges of endangering a child's welfare and reckless endangerment, WPVI reported. Ortiz remains jailed on attempted murder, aggravated assault and other charges, the Inquirer reported.
  • The Tampa Bay Ray’s baseball field is being transformed into a 90,000 sq foot maze of Christmas magic. Tropicana Field will be home to the World’s Largest Christmas Light Maze this holiday season and the lights will be on November 22 through December 29.  The main attraction will be the maze which is called “The Great Search.” The interactive adventure asks you to search for all nine of Santa’s reindeer after a mischievous elf set them free.  Enchant Christmas says on its website that the adventure is like a living storybook that features larger than life light sculptures and decadent delights with snow falling everywhere.  At the center of the temporary attraction is an 80-foot Christmas tree.  App users click here to watch the video. Visitors will also have a chance to ice skate through the lights and visit with Mr.Claus himself and pick up some gifts at a Christmas Market.  Additionally on December 1 and 16  you can bring your pooch to the attraction, but you will have to purchase a dog ticket. Tickets start at $20 for adults and $15 for children ages 4 and up, 3 and under are free.   There is a military and senior discount.  Tickets are limited, click here for more information. 

Washington Insider

  • The first day of impeachment hearings against President Donald Trump will feature two State Department witnesses who raised questions about actions in Ukraine by the President's personal lawyer, with one alarmed by Rudy Giuliani's efforts to undermine the former U.S. Ambassador in Ukraine, and another who saw Giuliani leading an effort to press for investigations desired by Mr. Trump. 'Mr. Giuliani was almost unmissable starting in mid-March,' Deputy Assistant Secretary of State George Kent testified, saying Giuliani conducted a 'campaign of slander' against former Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch. 'I worried about what I had heard concerning the role of Rudolph Giuliani,' said William Taylor, now the top U.S. diplomat in Ukraine, who said he was worried about entering a 'snake pit' involving Giuliani. Here is some of what we might expect from these two witnesses in the first day of impeachment hearings. DEPUTY ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF STATE GEORGE KENT - After working at the U.S. embassy in Ukraine, Kent returned to the State Department in the second half of 2018, taking on a post where he was responsible for Ukraine and five other eastern European nations often targeted by Russia. It was in that position where Kent said he witnessed the media attack which unfolded, spurred by Giuliani and conservative news media organs. In his impeachment deposition, Kent said an article by conservative journalist John Solomon spurred a sudden attack on Ambassador Yovanovitch and the U.S. embassy in Ukraine in general, which was then amplified by Fox News hosts Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham. Kent said much of what was alleged, that Yovanovitch was bad mouthing President Trump, that she was working against Ukraine prosecutors, was simply false. 'It was, if not entirely made up in full cloth,' Kent testified, 'it was primarily non-truths and non-sequiturs.' Kent described how U.S. diplomats were blindsided by what was clearly a concerted campaign against the U.S. Ambassador and the U.S. embassy in Ukraine, spread over four days in March of 2019. It started first with arrows aimed at Ambassador Yovanovitch, but then spread to accusations against former Vice President Biden and his son Hunter, along with other charges mentioning conservative bogeyman George Soros - all of it given a push by President Trump, his son, conservative websites, and Fox News. The attacks on Yovanovitch came two weeks after she had been asked by the State Department to stay on in Ukraine until 2020 - but her extension would not survive the conservative media attacks against her. 'I was then abruptly told in late April to come back to Washington from Ukraine 'on the next plane,'' Yovanovitch told Congressional investigators. She will testify on Friday. + WILLIAM TAYLOR, U.S. Chargé d'Affaires IN UKRAINE. With the recall of Ambassador Yovanovitch, Taylor is the top-ranking U.S. diplomat in Ukraine - basically the acting Ambassador. Several months after Yovanovitch had been ousted, Taylor described how the work of Giuliani had seemingly led to a situation where U.S. military aid for Ukraine was being withheld - in an effort to gain a quid pro quo - where the government of Ukraine would launch investigations sought by President Trump. 'By mid-Ju1y, it was becoming clear to me that the meeting President Zelensky wanted was conditioned on investigations of Burisma and alleged Ukrainian influence in the 2016 elections,' Taylor said, referring to a focus on the Bidens, and the debunked theory that Ukraine - and not Russia - was behind the hacks of Democrats in 2016. Taylor said the impetus for the situation was obvious. 'It was also clear that this condition was driven by the irregular policy channel I had come to understand was guided by Mr. Giuliani,' Taylor said in his closed door deposition. Mr. Taylor said he had determined that link in 'mid-July' - it was on July 25 that President Trump spoke with the leader of Ukraine, and spelled out the need for Ukraine to launch investigations into the Bidens, and the Ukraine-2016 elections theory, which included the evidence-free allegation that the hacked computer server from the Democratic National Committee was being hidden in Ukraine. Some Republicans have mocked the choice of Taylor as an opening witness, saying he has no firsthand knowledge of why the President would want investigations conducted related to the Bidens or the 2016 elections. 'No, I've never talked to the President,' Taylor said in his deposition. Look for Rep. Lee Zeldin (R-NY) to bring this up during the first day of questioning with Taylor. Three hearings have also been set for next Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, with eight different witnesses.