ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
54°
Clear
H 59° L 42°
  • cloudy-day
    54°
    Current Conditions
    Clear. H 59° L 42°
  • clear-night
    53°
    Evening
    Clear. H 59° L 42°
  • clear-night
    43°
    Morning
    Clear. H 59° L 40°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National
What is an ‘incel?’ A look at the anti-women movement behind multiple terror attacks
Close

What is an ‘incel?’ A look at the anti-women movement behind multiple terror attacks

What Is An Incel

What is an ‘incel?’ A look at the anti-women movement behind multiple terror attacks

A terrorist attack a month ago in Toronto, in which 10 people were struck down by a man in a rental van, has brought the term “incel” -- short for “involuntarily celibate” -- to the global stage, but what is an incel and how did the misogynistic, sometimes violent movement begin?

Canadian authorities allege that Alek Minassian, 25, of Richmond Hill, drove a Ryder rental van up onto a Toronto sidewalk April 23 and plowed into a group of pedestrians. According to additional charges filed against Minassian earlier this month, a total of 10 people died and another 16 were injured. 

Most of the dead were women. 

What is an incel?

The term “incel” began with a Toronto woman in 1993. The woman, identified only as Alana, told Elle in March 2016 that as a sexually inexperienced college student at Carleton University in Ottawa, she was trying to create a “movement that was open to anybody and everybody.” 

She created a website, Alana’s Involuntary Celibacy Project, as a way for single people who were lonely to come together. Eventually, she turned the site over to someone she did not know and abandoned the project.

The movement was ultimately co-opted by what The Washington Post described as an “online misogynistic subculture of men who blame women for their sexual frustration.”

Alana learned that in February 2015, when she read about Elliot Rodger, the 22-year-old self-described “incel” who stabbed and shot to death six people and injured 14 others May 23, 2014, near the University of California’s Santa Barbara campus before taking his own life. 

In a video he shot in his BMW shortly before shooting himself, Rodger complained about his social life, saying that he was still a virgin and had “never even kissed a girl.”

A 141-page manifesto Rodger sent to about two dozen friends and acquaintances before he killed himself further detailed his deep hatred of women, whose rejection he blamed for his predicament, the BBC reported. In the document, he called himself an “ideal magnificent gentleman” and said he could not understand why women did not want him. 

Men who subscribe to the incel movement have taken Rodger as a sort of folk hero. Alexandre Bissonnette, who killed six people and wounded 19 more at a Quebec City mosque on Jan. 29, 2017, searched the web for information about Rodger less than 24 hours before opening fire, The Globe and Mail reported

Toronto police officials also confirmed that Minassian posted a message on Facebook in which he praised Rodger just minutes before he is accused of driving his rented van into the crowd of pedestrians in Toronto. 

“As has been reported in the media, the accused is believed to have posted a cryptic public message on Facebook minutes before he began driving the rented van southbound on Yonge Street and onto the crowded sidewalks,” Toronto police Detective Sgt. Graham Gibson said shortly after the tragedy. “He drove, deliberately striking pedestrians on the sidewalk and roadway with his vehicle.”

Minassian, a failed Canadian military recruit who called himself “Private (Recruit) Minassian Infantry 00010” in the Facebook post, wrote that he wished to speak to “Sgt. 4chan.” The website 4chan, which has been linked to a variety of internet subcultures, is believed to be where Minassian became radicalized, New York magazine reported

He also stated in the post that ‘the Incel Rebellion has already begun.”

“We will overthrow all the Chads and Stacys!” the post stated, according to the BBC. “All hail the Supreme Gentleman Elliot Rodger!”

According to the Institute for Family Studies, incels refer to attractive, sexually available women as “Stacys.” The small number of alpha males they believe dominate the dating field, they call “Chads.”

David Futrelle, a writer and blogger who explores misogyny on the internet, described incels as seeing “Chads” as stereotypically attractive man, or Ken dolls, and “Stacys” as the Barbies to those Kens. 

“This all may seem a bit ridiculous, but it's no exaggeration,” Futrelle told Glamour magazine in April. “This is how they think. I'm convinced that they literally visualize Chads as characters in ‘80s teen flicks.”

Futrelle said a lot of the incels he’s run across are young and that he believes their belief system stems from adolescent insecurities and anger over being rejected by girls in their youth. 

“Instead of growing out of this, they turn it into a lifestyle,” Futrelle said. 

Facebook removed Minassian’s account within minutes of the attack, The Globe and Mail reported

Minassian, who was arrested near the scene of the mass homicide seven minutes after the initial 911 call was placed, has been charged with 10 counts of murder and 16 counts of attempted murder. 

The Institute for Family Studies reported that incels tend to believe that women have become more sexually promiscuous, but only date “Chads,” which leaves them, the incels, out. 

The rate of men who are unmarried and have reported not having sex in the past year has increased over the past several years -- but it is not because the self-titled incels are being shunned, the institute reported. Instead, it is driven by the declining marriage rate, which for men between ages 22 and 35 is at its lowest rate since at least 1880, the year for which data first became available. 

AP Photo/Wikimedia Commons
Elliot Rodger, left, and Marc Lépine are pictured. Rodger, 22, shot and stabbed six people to death and wounded 13 others May 23, 2014, in an attack near the University of California's Santa Barbara campus. Lépine, 25, killed 14 female students and injured 13 others at École Polytechnique, an engineering school in Montreal, on Dec. 6, 1989. Both men, who shot and killed themselves afterward, targeted women.
Close

What is an ‘incel?’ A look at the anti-woman movement behind multiple terror attacks

Photo Credit: AP Photo/Wikimedia Commons
Elliot Rodger, left, and Marc Lépine are pictured. Rodger, 22, shot and stabbed six people to death and wounded 13 others May 23, 2014, in an attack near the University of California's Santa Barbara campus. Lépine, 25, killed 14 female students and injured 13 others at École Polytechnique, an engineering school in Montreal, on Dec. 6, 1989. Both men, who shot and killed themselves afterward, targeted women.

Incel movement’s basis in history

The acts of violence allegedly perpetrated by Minassian and Rodger are not the first linked to the misogynistic ideals behind the incel movement. In 1989, 14 female students were shot to death and another 13 injured at École Polytechnique, an engineering school in Montreal. 

The killer, Marc Lépine, blamed feminism for the ills of his life, including his rejection from the school where he found his victims, The Guardian reported. Lépine, who armed himself with a rifle and a knife, previously told a shop owner he was hunting “small game,” the newspaper said. 

Like Rodger, Lépine turned his gun on himself when he was through. 

>> Read more trending news

Melissa J. Gismondi wrote for the Post that the incel movement is fairly new, but is based in the ancient history of patriarchal societies that have long given men free reign over women’s bodies. Gismondi, a historian in North American history, explained that women, for the majority of American history, were bound in more than name to their husbands. 

Crimes against a woman, including rape, were seen as crimes against the husband. If a slave-owner raped a slave and got her pregnant, that child also became his property. 

It was 1979 before marital rape became a crime in the United States, the Post reported. It was not until 1993 that it became a crime in all 50 states.

President Donald Trump’s embattled personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, tried as recently as 2015 to deflect old rape accusations against Trump by saying husbands could not rape their wives. Cohen’s remarks were in response to the then-presidential candidate’s sexual misconduct controversy, during which there was a resurfacing of allegations made by Ivana Trump in the 1990s, in which she said that Trump raped her while they were married.  

Cohen later apologized. 

The belief that men are owed sex from women helped form the basis of today’s incel movement, experts say. 

A Reddit incel subgroup that boasted 40,000 members was shut down in November after several posts promoted rape and other violence against women, USA Today reported. Keegan Kankes, a senior intelligence analyst with hate group watchdog the Southern Poverty Law Center, told the newspaper in April that misogyny is often a precursor to other, more radical extremism.

“There is a willingness in these communities to say horrible things -- women should be raped, women should be killed,” Hankes said. “In these communities, the rhetoric is among the worst that I see online.”

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • Detectives with the Orange County Sheriff’s Office Sex Crimes Division are investigating a case where a man tried to lure a child from an apartment complex. It happened in the afternoon Wednesday, December 5, at the Buena Vista Place Apartments off Reams Road in Windermere. Over the weekend, the sheriff’s office released a composite sketch of the man wanted for questioning. The suspect is described as a white or Hispanic male, between 50 and 80 years of age, balding with gray hair and a mustache. He was last seen driving a green Ford pick-up truck. Anyone with information about the incident is urged to call Crimeline at 1-800-423-TIPS (8477).
  • About 200 firefighters worked Monday to extinguish a massive five-alarm blaze at a Philadelphia apartment building, WPVI reported early Monday. >> Read more trending news  Update 9 a.m. EST Dec. 10: Fire Commissioner Adam Thiel said the fire was contained Friday morning. “Under control doesn't mean that the fire is out, it just means the fire has been contained to the area in which it's burning,” he said. The blaze was contained six hours after firefighters were called to an apartment complex near the intersection of 63rd and Jefferson streets around 2:15 a.m. At least two firefighters suffered minor injuries while battling the blaze, KYW-TV reported. Original report: Officials said the fire broke out about 2:15 a.m. at the Overbrook Gardens apartments, according to KYW-TV. At least two firefighters suffered minor injuries, authorities said.  About 50 people have been displaced by the fire, WPVI reported. WPVI’s Jeannette Reyes tweeted just before 7 a.m. that fire officials said they are “nowhere near done” battling the blaze and can’t get inside the building because it may collapse.  Read more here or here.
  • Three days after federal prosecutors in New York said the President directed his former personal lawyer to pay off two women in an effort to keep them quiet before the 2016 election, President Donald Trump rejected the assertion that the thousands of dollars funneled through Michael Cohen could be construed in any way as a violation of federal campaign election laws, a matter which some experts believe could put the President in legal jeopardy. “Democrats can’t find a Smocking Gun,” the President tweeted before sunrise on Monday. “So now the Dems go to a simple private transaction, wrongly call it a campaign contribution.” But in a sentencing memo released Friday evening, federal prosecutors from the Southern District of New York argued that Cohen ‘played a central role’ – in a plan directed and coordinated by the President – to suppress the stories of two women who claimed they had affairs with Mr. Trump, and “thereby prevent them from influencing the election.” “Cohen acted with the intent to influence the 2016 presidential election,” the SDNY wrote in their sentencing memo. “Cohen coordinated his actions with one or more members of the campaign, including through meetings and phone calls, about the fact, nature, and timing of the payments.” On Fox News, legal analyst Andrew McCarty – often a sympathetic voice for the President on the Russia investigation – left the hosts of ‘Fox and Friends’ stunned by openly predicting that President Trump would be indicted on that charge. “It’s clear that Trump is the target, and that he’ll be indicted eventually,” McCarthy said. In his Monday tweet – as in past tweets – the President denied the payoffs orchestrated by Cohen to porn star Stormy Daniels, and former Playboy model Karen McDougal, had anything to do with his campaign. Back in May, the President characterized the payment going to Stormy Daniels as a non-disclosure agreement – a ‘private contract’ – similar to the language he used today, in calling it a ‘private transaction.’ But federal prosecutors allege it was all tied to the Trump Campaign, with the President fully involved in the decisions. “In particular, and as Cohen himself has now admitted, with respect to both payments, he acted in coordination with and at the direction of Individual-1,” the SDNY wrote, using the legal moniker for President Trump in court documents. The President ridiculed that notion. “Democrats can’t find a Smocking Gun tying the Trump campaign to Russia after James Comey’s testimony. No Smocking Gun…No Collusion.” @FoxNews That’s because there was NO COLLUSION. So now the Dems go to a simple private transaction, wrongly call it a campaign contribution,… — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 10, 2018 ….which it was not (but even if it was, it is only a CIVIL CASE, like Obama’s – but it was done correctly by a lawyer and there would not even be a fine. Lawyer’s liability if he made a mistake, not me). Cohen just trying to get his sentence reduced. WITCH HUNT! — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 10, 2018 The President has repeatedly said that Cohen is lying to prosecutors, in order to get his sentenced reduced. Some critics of the President have said the SDNY evidence – from Cohen’s own guilty plea – basically makes the President an unindicted co-conspirator at this point. “It looks like a pretty good case,” said George Conway, the fierce Trump critic – and husband of Trump aide Kellyanne Conway.
  • A 15-year-old Pennsylvania boy was killed in New Castle after a gun in the hand of a 19-year-old discharged, according to police.  >> Watch the news report here Police were dispatched to the 400 block of Liberty Street around 1:36 a.m. Saturday for an unresponsive male. When they arrived, officers saw Zach Mulford, 15, lying on the ground with an apparent gunshot wound. A friend of Mulford was still on scene and attempted CPR, but Mulford died from his injuries. Police said Mulford and his friend went to a residence to hang out with other friends. When they knocked on the door, 19-year-old Kyle Harris opened the door holding a gun.  >> Read more trending news  When Harris realized who was knocking, he lowered his gun and let them both in, police said. As Harris removed the magazine from the gun and began to clear the chamber, the weapon discharged and a bullet struck Mulford. Harris fled before officers arrived. Police said he subsequently turned himself in and provided a matching statement to a witness at the scene.  He also showed officers where the gun was. Police said it was stolen. Harris is being charged with involuntary manslaughter, aggravated assault and receiving stolen property. Mulford's family has set up a GoFundMe page to help with funeral expenses. Zach’s mother, Stacy Mulford, held back tears as she spoke about him with Channel 11, saying she just wanted people to know that Zach was a good kid. “He’d get so excited and he’d just be so happy because he was getting to do something with his hands and build it. He just loved it,” she said. “This is hard. He had his future planned out and now he doesn’t have his future anymore.”
  • Five children are dead after a fire broke out at a home in Youngstown, Ohio, late Sunday, multiple news outlets are reporting. According to WFMJ, firefighters responded to 434 Parkcliffe Ave. after a neighbor reported the fire about 11:30 p.m. Sunday. The children’s mother, who jumped from a window to escape the blaze, said five children were trapped inside, authorities said.  >> Read more trending news  Three children were removed from the home but later died at a nearby hospital, rescuers said. The two other children died inside the house, WKBN reported. Fire officials said the children ranged from 1 to 9 years old. The two youngest were twins, according to WKBN. The mother and one firefighter were hospitalized for injuries, WKBN reported. Another firefighter was hurt and treated at the scene, officials said. Officials don’t know yet what caused the blaze but said foul play is unlikely, WKBN reported. Read more here or here.