On Air Now

Listen Now


H 86° L 54°
  • cloudy-day
    Current Conditions
    Cloudy. H 86° L 54°
  • cloudy-day
    Cloudy. H 86° L 54°
  • cloudy-day
    Partly Cloudy. H 58° L 46°

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00


The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00


The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Watch: Black bear found chilling in Montana lodge’s ladies room

Watch: Black bear found chilling in Montana lodge’s ladies room

VIDEO: Black bear found chilling in Montana lodge’s ladies room

Watch: Black bear found chilling in Montana lodge’s ladies room

Staff members at a Montana lodge got quite a surprise Saturday night when they found a young black bear lounging in a restroom inside the lobby.

“We heard a bit of a racket in the lobby,” David O'Connor, co-owner and general manager of Buck’s T-4 Lodgetold CNN. “Sure enough, the bear had found a window with enough of an opening to get into the ladies room by the lobby.”

O’Connor told the network the window was too high for the yearling to climb back out. The animal, estimated to be between 1 and 2 years old, didn’t seem to mind.

“He just hung out on the counter where it was cool, and literally went to sleep,” O’Connor told CNN.

O’Connor and his staff captured the adventure on camera and posted the footage on the lodge’s Facebook page, as well as on YouTube.

Buck's T-4 Lodge
Staff members at Buck’s T-4 Lodge in Big Sky, Montana, got quite a surprise Saturday, Aug. 31, 2019, when they found a black bear lounging in a restroom inside the lobby. Wildlife experts were able to tranquilize the bear and safely remove it.

Bear in bathtub

Photo Credit: Buck's T-4 Lodge
Staff members at Buck’s T-4 Lodge in Big Sky, Montana, got quite a surprise Saturday, Aug. 31, 2019, when they found a black bear lounging in a restroom inside the lobby. Wildlife experts were able to tranquilize the bear and safely remove it.

>> Read more trending news 

“Huge shout-out to Gallatin County Sheriff's Office and Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks for keeping our guests safe, while recognizing what a once-in-a-lifetime experience it was,” the post read.

The post described officials as professional and safe and said they “provided a great opportunity for folks to learn a little bit about wildlife management.”

Sheriff’s Office officials, in turn, posted Buck’s T-4 Lodge’s video on the department’s own Facebook page.

“Teamwork keeps people and wildlife safe,” the post read.

State FWP officials wrote that the bear appeared comfortable napping in the restroom and showed no signs of leaving.

“Game wardens, along with Gallatin County sheriff’s deputies, tranquilized the bear and carried it safely outside. FWP plans to release the young bear in a more remote area,” authorities said on social media.

No one was injured in the incident and the hotel reported no damage.

Watch the video from Buck's T-4 Lodge below.

Followers on the lodge’s Facebook page joked that the bear had heard the lodge was a good place to get a good meal and a solid night’s rest.

“Nice digs, little bear,” one woman wrote. “I have stayed there a few times myself.”

“Bears need reservations, too,” a man wrote.

Others talked about what a shock it must have been to the person who first found the bear.

“I would have to forget what I went in there for,” a woman wrote.

O’Connor told CNN the lodge’s proximity to Yellowstone National Park makes encounters with a variety of wildlife the norm. Bear encounters, however, can be potentially dangerous.

The FWP website warns that bears who become too familiar with people, or who are fed by humans, will end up euthanized nine out of 10 times because they can no longer fend properly for themselves in the wild. It is against Montana law to intentionally or inadvertently feed bears.

“Sometimes people find young bears and other species and think they are abandoned or orphaned. This is often not true,” the agency’s website says. “If you care, leave them there.”

Wildlife officials also offer tips for how to stay safe during a bear encounter:

Carry bear pepper spray at the ready and know how to use it;

Always maintain a safe distance from bears;

Stay calm;

Immediately pick up small children and stay in a group;

Behave in a non-threatening manner;

Speak softly;

Do not make eye contact;

Throw a backpack or other object, like a hat or gloves, on the ground as you move away to distract the animal’s attention;

Slowly back away, if possible. Keep a distance of at least 100 yards;

Do not run from a bear. Running may trigger a natural predator-prey attack response and a grizzly can easily outrun the world’s fastest human; and

Don’t climb a tree unless you are sure you can get at least 10 feet from the ground before the bear reaches you. Experts recommend against climbing trees in most situations.

Montana law allows campers to use a gun on a black or grizzly bear, but only in self-defense. The killing is required to be reported to authorities within 72 hours.

If attacked while camping, use whatever you have handy as a defense weapon or deterrent.

“The bear may be seeking food rather than trying to neutralize a threat, so fight back to show the bear you are dangerous,” the website reads.

Read More

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • An investigation is underway in Orange County after a family of four was found dead inside a home Thursday night in a suspected murder-suicide, according to Sheriff John Mina. A U.S. Customs and Border Protection agent assigned to the Orlando International Airport reportedly shot and killed three family members before turning the gun on himself, according to the Orange County Sheriff’s Office.  Deputies responded to the home on Corner Glen Drive Thursday evening after the agency said it had not heard from their employee for a while, Sheriff Mina said during a news conference. According to the Sheriff, some of the residents of the home had not been seen since last week.  Mina said their preliminary investigation has revealed the man shot and killed his wife and two teenage sons, before turning the gun on himself. He was reportedly a Customs and Border Protection agent working at Orlando International Airport.   Their names have not been released.
  • The death toll attributed to the 2019 novel coronavirus continues to rise, with tens of thousands of people sickened and thousands of others killed by the virus, mostly in China. The coronavirus, dubbed COVID-19 by the World Health Organization, was discovered late last year in Wuhan, China. Here are the latest updates: 11 of 13 people evacuated to Omaha test positive for COVID-19  Update 11 p.m. EST Feb. 20: Federal experts confirmed that 11 of 13 people evacuated to an Omaha hospital from a cruise ship in Japan have tested positive for COVID-19, Nebraska officials announced Thursday night. The University of Nebraska Medical Center said the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had verified test results completed Monday by the Nebraska Public Health Lab. Ten of those people are being cared for at the National Quarantine Unit while three are in the nearby Nebraska Biocontainment Unit. The medical center said only a few of the patients were showing symptoms of the disease. All 13 people were passengers of the Diamond Princess cruise ship who were evacuated to the U.S. on Feb. 17. China reports fall in new virus cases, 118 deaths  Update 10 p.m. EST Feb. 20: China reported a further fall in new virus cases to 889 as health officials expressed optimism over containment of the outbreak that has caused more than 2,200 deaths and is spreading elsewhere.  New infections in China have been falling for days, although changes in how it counts cases have caused doubts about the true trajectory of the epidemic.  China’s figures for the previous 24 hours brought the total number of cases to 75,465. The 118 newly reported deaths raised the total to 2,236. More than 1,000 cases and 11 deaths have been confirmed outside the mainland. 4 Americans who tested positive for COVID-19 sent to hospital in Spokane, Washington  Update 7:30 p.m. EST Feb. 20: Four Americans who tested positive for the new virus that caused an outbreak China are being sent to a hospital in Spokane, Washington, for treatment, officials said Thursday.  The four were passengers on the Diamond Princess cruise ship and were flown back to the U.S. over the weekend, according to a spokeswoman for the Department of Health and Human Services. They were being transferred from Travis Air Force Base in California, hospital officials said.  Two patients arrived at the hospital Thursdayin satisfactory condition with two more expected soon, said Christa Arguinchona, who manages a special isolation unit at Sacred Heart Medical Center. The hospital is one of 10 in the nation funded by Congress to treat new or highly infectious diseases.  “The risk to the community from this particular process is zero,” said Bob Lutz of the Spokane Regional Health District at a briefing Thursday at the hospital. WHO: ‘This is no time for complacency’ Update 2:25 p.m. EST Feb. 20: World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Thursday that recent declines in the number of new coronavirus cases being reported in China were encouraging, but he warned, “this is no time for complacency.” As pf 6 a.m. Geneva time Thursday, 74,675 people in China and 1,076 people in order parts of the world had been sickened by coronavirus, according to WHO. Officials said 2,121 people in China and seven people outside of the country have died thus far of the viral infection. 'This is the time to attack the virus while it is manageable,” Tedros said, according to The Washington Post. “You will get sick of me saying that the window of opportunity remains open for us to contain this COVID-19 outbreak.” CDC warns travels to take precautions for travel to Japan, Hong Kong Update 12:20 p.m. EST Feb. 20: The Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued new coronavirus-related travel advisories Thursday for Americans visiting Japan or Hong Kong. The advisories warned travelers to avoid contact with sick people, avoid touching their eyes, noses or mouths with their unwashed hands and recommended using soap and water often to wash hands for at least 20 seconds. Officials said Thursday that it remained unnecessary to postpone or cancel trips to Japan or Hong Kong due to the virus. However, the CDC advisories noted “multiple instances of community spread' in both locales, meaning people “have been infected with the virus, but how or where they became infected is not known.” Officials with the CDC previously issued an advisory warning travelers to avoid non-essential travel to China. According to Japanese health officials, authorities have seen 73 confirmed cases of the coronavirus in the country. One person in Japan has died of the viral infection. Health official in Hong Kong have confirmed 65 cases of coronavirus. Japan reports 12 new coronavirus cases, Singapore confirms 1 more  Update 11 a.m. EST Feb. 20: Officials in Japan have reported a dozen new confirmed cases of the coronavirus, CNN reported, citing the Japanese health ministry. The new cases include two government officials who worked on board the Diamond Princess cruise ship, according to CNN. Thousands of people were quarantined on the ship for two weeks as it was docked off the coast of Japan due to coronavirus fears. Hundreds of people on the ship ended up testing positive for the viral infection.  Officials with the Singapore Ministry of Health said Thursday that a new case of coronavirus had been confirmed in the country. The case, involving a 36-year-old Chinese national who was in Singapore on a work pass, is the 85th reported in Singapore.  Global death toll hits 2,126  Update 7:40 a.m. EST Feb. 20: More than 2,120 people have died globally and thousands of others have fallen ill due to the 2019 novel coronavirus, according to multiple reports.  At least 2,126 people globally have died from coronavirus, CNN reported Thursday. A majority of the deaths have been reported in China, where health officials announced 114 more deaths and 394 more confirmed cases of the illness. Overall, 75,730 coronavirus cases have been reported worldwide, including 74,576 in China, according to CNN.
  • Add some style to your paranoia! A designer in San Francisco is planning to produce “Resting Risk Face” masks that aim to protect people from viruses while keeping their facial identity.  Designer Danielle Baskin’s website for the product asks people to upload a picture of their face, tweak it to fix any alignment issues, and then order a mask with the picture on it. “Then we do our printing magic,” the website boasts.  “We’ll also match the mask’s elastic band to your skin tone.” (Tap here to see examples of the Resting Risk Face masks) Face masks have been in the news lately as there’s been a worldwide shortage blamed on fears of the coronavirus. Baskin tells CNET that mask would also let people unlock their phone without having to lower the mask.  She said more than 1,000 people are currently on a waiting list to buy one. She also said she does not plan to produce them during the global mask shortage. (Tweet from creator)
  • A judge sentenced political consultant Roger Stone, a confidant of President Donald Trump, to 40 months in prison Thursday following his conviction last year on charges of lying to Congress, witness tampering and obstruction. Update 3:40 p.m. EST Feb. 20: Trump told a crowd gathered Thursday in Las Vegas that he believes Stone “has a very good chance of exoneration, in my opinion.” “I want the process to play out. I think that’s the best thing to do. Because I’d love to see Roger exonerated,” Trump said while delivering a commencement speech at HOPE for Prisoners Graduation. “I personally think he was treated very unfairly. During the 2016 campaign, Stone mentioned in interviews and public appearances that he was in contact with WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange through a trusted intermediary and hinted at inside knowledge of the group’s plans to release hacked emails damaging to Hillary Clinton. Testimony revealed that Stone, while appearing before the House Intelligence Committee, named comedian Randy Credico as his intermediary and pressured Credico not to contradict him. After Credico was contacted by Congress, he reached out to Stone, who told him he should “stonewall it” and “plead the fifth,” he testified. Credico also testified during Stone’s trial that Stone repeatedly told him to “do a ‘Frank Pentangeli,’” a reference to a character in “The Godfather: Part II” who lies before Congress. Credico and Stone have had a working relationship for more than dozen years, beginning in 2002 while Credico was working on a third-party candidate’s campaign in that year’s gubernatorial election in New York, according to Politico. “They talk about witness tampering, but the man that (Stone) was tampering didn’t seem to have that much of a problem with it,” Trump said Thursday. “They’ve known each other for years. It’s not like the tampering that I see on television, when you watch a movie -- that’s called tampering, with guns to people’s heads and lots of other things.” Update 12:55 p.m. EST Feb. 20: Judge Amy Berman Jackson on Thursday sentenced Stone to serve a total of 40 months in prison. According to Courthouse News, Jackson sentenced Stone to 40 months in prison for obstruction, 12 months for each of five counts of making false statements and 17 months for witness tampering. The sentences were all set to run concurrently, Courthouse News reported. Stone is expected to remain free for the next few weeks, Mother Jones reported. Update 12:35 p.m. EST Feb. 20: Judge Amy Berman Jackson has sentenced Roger Stone to serve 40 months, according to Vox. Update 12:30 p.m. EST Feb. 20: Judge Amy Berman Jackson said Thursday that Trump’s tweets in support of Stone “were totally inappropriate,” but she said she wouldn’t hold the 67-year-old accountable for the president’s actions, according to Mother Jones. Last week, Trump took to Twitter to slam a sentencing proposal from DOJ prosecutors, which called for between seven and nine years behind bars, as “horrible and very unfair.” Update 12 p.m. EST Feb. 20: Judge Amy Berman Jackson told Stone on Thursday that the case against him wasn’t politically motivated but instead “arose because Roger Stone characteristically inserted himself smack in the middle of one of the most incendiary issues of the day,” Courthouse News and Mother Jones reported. Stone’s sentencing hearing is ongoing. Update 11:25 a.m. EST Feb. 20: Judge Amy Berman Jackson has called for a brief recess in Stone’s sentencing hearing, Courthouse News reported. Update 10:35 a.m. EST Feb. 20: Trump questioned the fairness of the case against Stone again Thursday in a tweet as the political consultant appeared in a Washington courthouse for sentencing. Trump compared Stone’s case to accusations that former FBI director James Comey and former deputy director Andrew McCabe lied to Congress, allegations they’ve denied. The president’s tweets were posted as Stone appeared before Judge Amy Berman Jackson in Washington. Original report: The sentencing is scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. Thursday. The action in federal court comes amid Trump's unrelenting defense of his longtime confidant that has led to a mini-revolt inside the Justice Department and allegations the president has interfered in the case. Trump last week criticized a sentencing proposal from DOJ prosecutors, which called for between seven and nine years behind bars, as “horrible and very unfair.” Afterward, U.S. Attorney General William Barr backed off the sentencing recommendation, though Justice Department officials said the decision had been made Monday night — before Trump's tweet — and that prosecutors had not spoken to the White House about it. A jury convicted Stone in November on several charges connected to special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election. Prosecutors said he lied to protect the Trump campaign from embarrassment and scrutiny in its quest for emails hacked by Russian officials and disseminated by WikiLeaks during the election. Stone was a prominent figure in Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign. He and Trump have been friends since the 1980s, according to The Washington Post. Rumors have swirled since his conviction that Trump might issue a pardon for him, though he said in December that he hadn’t considered it, USA Today reported. 'I think it’s very tough what they did to Roger Stone compared to what they do to other people, on their side,' the president added, according to the newspaper. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Washington Insider

  • Ignoring declarations from President Donald Trump that the prosecution of his friend Roger Stone had been a 'disgrace,' a federal judge in Washington on Thursday sentenced Stone to 3 years and 4 months in prison for obstructing efforts by Congress to probe the Trump-Russia investigation. 'He was not prosecuted, as some have claimed, for standing up for the President,' said Judge Amy Berman Jackson of Stone. 'He was prosecuted for covering up for the President.'  “The truth still exists. The truth still matters,” the judge added. Stone was convicted in November of obstructing a Congressional investigation, making false statements to Congress, and engaging in witness tampering to stop testimony which would undercut his defense. Democrats in Congress praised the sentence, and warned President Trump not to pardon Stone. “He did it to cover up for Trump,” said Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA), the lead House impeachment prosecutor, and Chairman of the House Intelligence Committee.  “It should go without saying, but to pardon Stone when his crimes were committed to protect Trump would be a breathtaking act of corruption,” Schiff tweeted. “The President should not further taint this process by using his pardon power as a Get Out of Jail Free card,” said Rep. David Cicilline (D-RI). As the sentencing hearing got underway, President Trump was out in Las Vegas - but paying attention to the story of the morning from back in Washington. “I'd love to see Roger exonerated,” the President said at a “Hope for Prisoners” event, as he complained the foreperson on the Stone jury and the prosecution in general. “This has not been a fair process,” Mr. Trump added. But the President indicated he would not make any quick decision about clemency for Stone. “I'm going to watch the process, and watch it very closely, and some point, I'm going to make a determination,” Mr. Trump said. Republicans quickly made clear they would not oppose such a move for Stone. “Under our system of justice President Trump has all the legal authority in the world to review this case, in terms of commuting the sentence or pardoning Mr. Stone for the underlying offense,” said Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC), a key Trump ally. The sentencing played out days after an extraordinary twist in the case, as the Justice Department withdrew its original sentencing recommendation for Stone, as four prosecutors then resigned from the case. That recommendation urged a sentence of between seven and nine years in jail. During the court proceedings on Thursday, Judge Jackson indicated she thought that was excessive.