ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
80°
Partly Cloudy
H 93° L 75°
  • cloudy-day
    80°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 93° L 75°
  • cloudy-day
    89°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 93° L 75°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    86°
    Evening
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 92° L 76°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National
22-month-old boy found alive days after vanishing from his eastern Kentucky home
Close

22-month-old boy found alive days after vanishing from his eastern Kentucky home

Authorities Searching for Missing 22-Month-Old Boy in Kentucky

22-month-old boy found alive days after vanishing from his eastern Kentucky home

Crews searching for a 22-month-old boy who vanished over the weekend from his home in Magoffin County, Kentucky, located the child alive on Wednesday, according to sheriff’s deputies.

>> Read more trending news 

Family members of 22-month-old Kenneth Howard reported he disappeared around 7:30 p.m. Sunday, according to WKYT. Family members said they believed he might have walked out the back door of his home, WYMT reported.

Update 3 p.m. EDT May 15: Crews searching for Kenneth found the toddler after they heard him crying, WLEX-TV reported. He was found in a "cliff area" about 2,000 feet from his home, according to the news station.

In a news release obtained by WKYT, Kentucky State Police said Kenneth was found at an old strip mine on the Magoffin-Floyd county line. Search crews had expanded their search to include the area earlier Wednesday.

Officials said Wednesday that Kenneth was being treated for dehydration. WKYT reported he was being taken to a hospital to be checked out. His parents have been notified that he’s been found, according to the news station.

Update 2:40 p.m. EDT May 15: Officials with the Magoffin County Sheriff’s Office confirmed Kenneth had been found in a statement posted Wednesday on Facebook.

Citing Magoffin County Search and Rescue Chief Carter Conley, deputies said Kenneth was being treated for dehydration but that he was “in remarkably good condition.”

“Thanks to all who prayed, searched and helped in any way!” Magoffin County sheriff’s deputies wrote on Facebook. “This is the best news ever !!!”

Additional details about how he was discovered were not immediately released.

Update 2 p.m. EDT May 15: Authorities on Wednesday widened the area they were searching to include an old, overgrown strip mine in Floyd County in hopes of finding Kenneth, WYMT reported

Magoffin County Search and Rescue Chief Carter Conley said crews are using dogs, ATVs, helicopters and drones with thermal cameras to search the rugged terrain. Kentucky State Police also brought in horses to assist in the search, WYMT reported.

Kenneth’s family members have said the boy went missing Sunday night from his family’s home in Magoffin County. Kentucky State Police spokesman William Petry said there’s no evidence of foul play and a kidnapping would be odd in such a rural area, but police aren’t ruling out anything.

Update 3:55 p.m. EDT May 14: Kenneth’s father, Elden Howard, told WYMT that he’s offering a $5,000 reward for anyone who brings his son home.

“I would just like to see him come home safe,” Howard told the news station. “I guess it’s adrenaline. I can’t rest, can’t eat. I’ve ate one bologna sandwich since Sunday.”

Crews searched Magoffin County for hours Monday in hopes of finding Kenneth. However, the search was called off late last night without any sign of the boy. The search was resumed Tuesday, WKYT reported.

“We’ve searched everywhere we can think of ...(and)  nothing’s showing up,” Howard told WYMT. “It’s just like he disappeared. No sign, no nothing. That’s the reason I’m starting to think, if we can’t find him, somebody’s picked him up.”

The search for Kenneth resumed Tuesday.

 

Original report: A Kentucky toddler who reportedly disappeared from his Magoffin County home Sunday still has not been found, authorities said Monday night.

According to WKYT, 22-month-old Kenneth Howard vanished about 7:30 p.m. Sunday, his family said.

"I think the dad may have been on the front porch talking with maybe one of his brothers," Magoffin County Emergency Management Director Robert Prater, a friend of Kenneth's family, told WYMT. "I think the child slipped out the back door."

Kenneth's family members called police after searching for the boy on their own, officials told WKYT. The Magoffin County Rescue Squad was alerted about 8:30 p.m.

Since then, crews have been searching a 1/2-mile area around the boy's home, which is surrounded by wooded terrain and a steep hillside, the news station reported.

 

"We've had to use a rope at a couple of places and tie off so they could go down into a ravine and do their search in that situation," said Magoffin County Search and Rescue Chief Carter Conley. "So it is very dangerous."

Helicopters, police dogs, off-road vehicles and drones have been used in the search, WLEX reported.

"There is no limit to the effort being made to find this sweet child," the Magoffin County Sheriff's Department said in a Facebook post Monday afternoon.

>> Read the post here

On behalf of the Magoffin County Sheriff's Dept. and Sheriff Carson Montgomery, we want to thank everyone for their...

Posted by Magoffin County Sheriff Department on Monday, May 13, 2019

Authorities suspended search efforts Monday night, but volunteers continued to look for Kenneth, who has blond hair and blue eyes, according to WKYT.

Officials are urging anyone with information about the case to call the Sheriff's Department at 606-349-2914.

"There is no greater tragedy than not knowing the whereabouts of a child, and we will continue to do everything humanly possible to ensure he is found safe and sound and returned home to his family," the Sheriff's Department said.

Read more here or here.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read More

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • A 48 year old woman has been charged with DUI manslaughter for a crash that killed a toddler on a family bicycle ride.  According to the Altamonte Springs Police Department, Shona Wallace, was arrested and charged in connection with with a crash June 2 on State Road 414.   The Zisa family was on a bike ride to help 17-month-old Adalyn fall asleep when deputies say a car jumped the curb and struck the trio, killing the toddler and seriously injuring her parents.   In addition to DUI manslaughter, Wallace is also charged with DUI with serious bodily injury, possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.
  • A self-identified California survivalist was sentenced Monday to three consecutive life sentences, without the possibility of parole, in the murders of a couple sleeping on a beach in 2004, as well as the 2017 murder of his own brother. Shaun Michael Gallon, 40, pleaded no contest last month to the murders of Lindsay Cutshall, 22, and Jason Allen, 26, who were shot to death between Aug. 14 and Aug. 16, 2004, as they slept on Fish Head Beach near Jenner in Sonoma County. The case remained unsolved until 2017, when Gallon was accused of using a rifle to kill his younger brother, 36-year-old Shamus Gallon, in the Forestville home they shared with their mother. Following his arrest, Shaun Gallon confessed to the Allen-Cutshall homicides. He pleaded no contest June 13 to all three killings. At the time, Sonoma County officials said there was no apparent motive for Gallon to shoot his brother. “There doesn’t appear to be an altercation of any significance that led to the shooting,” Sgt. Spencer Crum told the Press Democrat. Even prior to his brother’s slaying, Shaun Gallon’s name had long been on law enforcement’s radar. The San Francisco Chronicle reported he was well-known for his erratic behavior, and his rap sheet was a long one. He was convicted in 2009 of assault with a deadly weapon for shooting an arrow at a man in Guerneville, the Chronicle reported. His Facebook page shows multiple photos of homemade bows and arrows, as well as a photo of hiself with a spear he made. “Further, Gallon was also alleged to have attempted to kill a Monte Rio man in June 2004 by using a disguised homemade explosive device, and seriously injuring a second unintended victim when it detonated,” a news release from the Sonoma County District Attorney’s Office read. Gallon was charged in 2017 with felon in possession of a firearm and ammunition, as well as possession of an illegal assault rifle, the district attorney said. The charges to which Gallon pleaded no contest are lengthy, court records show. “There were multiple special allegations and enhancements alleged against Gallon, including that he murdered multiple victims, that he committed great bodily injury on those victims, that he used a firearm to inflict great bodily injury on each of his murder victims and that he had suffered a prior ‘strike’ conviction in 2009 for assault with a deadly weapon,” Ravitch’s news release said. “In his change of pleas, Gallon admitted all charges and enhancements.” Gallon waived all rights of appeal by entering into the plea agreement. Ravitch said the agreement was reached after a review of the records, a review of mitigating material offered by the defense and talks with the victims’ families, as well as the surviving victims of Gallon’s prior crimes. Photos recovered from their camera shows they took photos of one another in front of the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz, the newspaper reported. They then headed north in Cutshall’s red 1992 Ford Tempo for the Sonoma coast, where they found themselves in Jenner, a village Allen had visited a few years earlier. Several witnesses, some conflicting, reported seeing the couple along the way as they stopped for gas and other items. A front desk clerk at the Jenner Inn told police the couple showed up there either Friday, Aug. 13, or the following night. Though the couple ate at the inn, there were no available rooms, so they said they would camp outdoors instead, the Chronicle said. The manager, who declined to give her name, said she chatted with the couple again the following morning when they came in for breakfast. “I asked them if they were having fun,” the woman told the newspaper. “They said they stopped in San Francisco. They were just a happy couple trying to get away for the weekend.” Various accounts indicate Allen and Cutshall were told Fish Head Beach would be a good spot to camp, even though it was illegal to sleep on the beach there.  Police believe it was the night of Aug. 14, 2004, when the couple parked Cutshall’s Tempo in a pullout along nearby Highway 1 before setting up their gear on the beach. According to Sonoma magazine, both made notations in a visitor’s log kept near the beach. “As I stir this mac and cheese, I think to myself, ‘What a wonderful life,’” Allen wrote. “I’ve just spent two awesome days with my fiancée, Lindsay. Can life ever be so perfect? Only with a person who is so great. God gives me this privilege in life and He has given me a wonderful woman to enjoy it.” “The sun is going down in the horizon,” Cutshall wrote, according to the magazine. “All I see is the beams shining on the cliff face. And I know that God is awesome. I look around and I see his creation all around me.” Authorities believe the couple was killed, each by a single rifle shot to the head, that night or early the following morning as they slept in their sleeping bags, their Bible nearby. Family and friends grew concerned when the couple had not turned up back at the Christian camp by Sunday. According to the Chronicle, Lindsay was due to fly home a week later to begin planning her wedding. A missing person report was filed Monday, Aug. 16, by friends at the camp. The couple's bodies were found two days later, first spotted by deputies in a Sonoma County Sheriff’s Department helicopter sent up to search for a man stuck on a cliff near Jenner, the Chronicle reported. Instead, the spotters saw two bodies in bloodstained sleeping bags. With no apparent motive -- there were no signs of robbery or sexual assault at the scene -- detectives were stymied for years. It would take another 13 years before investigators learned what happened or why. ‘I went crazy’  A Sonoma County Probation Department report, obtained by the Press Democrat, paints a disturbing portrait of Gallon’s life and shows ways in which his family shielded him from arrest before he killed his brother. Gallon’s father, David Gallon, admitted to police he got rid of his son’s guns in 2004, a week after Allen and Cutshall were found slain. Shaun Gallon, who had been arrested on unrelated weapons charges, called his father and asked him to dispose of the weapons. David Gallon told investigators he did so “because he feared (Shaun) Gallon was unstable,” the document says. The records show Shaun Gallon became a potential suspect in the double homicide on the beach after deputies found him near a beach in Guerneville with a loaded, stolen gun in the pocket of his camouflage jumpsuit.
  • President Donald Trump plans to nominate lawyer Eugene Scalia, son of late Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, to serve as his next labor secretary, according to an announcement posted Thursday on Twitter. >> Read more trending news  Scalia, 55, is a partner in the Washington office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, where he specializes in administrative law and handles cases related to labor and employment, according to The Washington Post and NPR. He previously served as solicitor of the U.S. Department of Labor under President George W. Bush. He also served as special assistant to Attorney General William Barr during his previous tenure as Bush's attorney general. 'I am pleased to announce that it is my intention to nominate Gene Scalia as the new Secretary of Labor,' Trump wrote Thursday in a Twitter post.  'Gene has led a life of great success in the legal and labor field and is highly respected not only as a lawyer, but as a lawyer with great experience working with labor and everyone else.'  Scalia has long represented companies that have pushed back against unions and strengthening labor laws, The New York Times reported. In 2005, he was hired by Walmart after former employees sued the company, claiming they had been illegally fired for whistle-blowing, according to NPR. His nomination is likely to get some pushback from Democrats, though he's expected to be easily confirmed in the Republican-controlled Senate, according to the Times and the Post. If confirmed, Scalia will replace outgoing Labor Secretary Alex Acosta, who announced his resignation last week amid criticism of his handling of a secret 2008 plea deal with Jeffrey Epstein. The deal, which came under renewed scrutiny after federal authorities revealed new sex trafficking charges against Epstein last week, allowed the 66-year-old to avoid significant jail time and federal prosecution after he was accused of molesting teenage girls. Acosta's deputy, Patrick Pizzella, will serve as acting secretary of labor after his resignation goes into effect Friday. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission shared photos of Bago the manatee’s return to the wild.  The 800-pounder was rescued from the cold waters of Lake Griffin State Park in January. He spent the last six months recovering from stress at SeaWorld's Marine Animal Rescue in Orlando Central Florida News 13 reported that the sea cow was hesitant to leave the plush environment and go back to the wild.  App users click here to see the video.  Officials eventually were able to get Bago to cooperate and released him in the St. Johns River near Palatka.  But not before he was fitted  with a tracking device so that researchers can follow his progress.
  • A cruise line worker is accused of trying to smuggle himself out of the U.S. in a case that spans from Port Canaveral to the Canadian border. Investigators said Kenyan national Fuwad Nassir was barely on the job two weeks when he jumped ship. The Florida Department of Law Enforcement said Nassir told Canadian officials he was seeking asylum Nassir saw a judge Thursday afternoon, but it's not clear who will prosecute this case. It could be the Brevard or Seminole State Attorney's Office or the statewide prosecutor. With a half-million-dollar bond, Nassir isn't likely to be going anywhere anytime soon. Nassir was in a Brevard County courtroom Thursday, facing a charge of conspiracy to commit human smuggling after investigators said he deserted his position aboard the Carnival Liberty at Port Canaveral back in October in violation of his visa. FDLE said he then caught a ride with an in-law who flew into Florida from Utah to pick him up and drove him to New York state, where he attempted to cross into Canada by way of the Rainbow Bridge point of entry.  Officials there refused him entry and turned Nassir over to U.S. Customs and Border Protection. He remained in federal detention until his return to Brevard County.  Carnival Cruise Lines officials said the company would not comment specifically on this case. 

Washington Insider

  • A day after distancing himself from a campaign rally crowd which chanted, 'Send her back' about Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN), President Donald Trump on Friday had more tough words for Omar from the Oval Office, making it clear he's not backing away from his criticism of a group of minority women Democratic lawmakers in the Congress. 'I'm unhappy when a Congresswoman goes and says, 'I'm going to be the President's nightmare,'' Mr. Trump said on Friday, as he called those attending his North Carolina campaign rally, 'incredible people and incredible patriots.' 'She's lucky to be where she is,' the President said of Omar, who called Mr. Trump a 'fascist' on Thursday. 'The things that she has said are a disgrace to our country,' the President added. Just as the President hasn't backed off his criticism of Omar, who emigrated to the U.S. from Somalia as a child, the freshmen from Minnesota hasn't pulled any punches with Mr. Trump in recent days. 'We have said this President is racist,' Omar told reporters outside the Capitol on Thursday. 'We have said he is fascist.' As Omar arrived back in Minneapolis, a crowd of supporters greeted her at the airport 'When I said I was the president's nightmare, well you're watching it now,” Omar told a cheering crowd. “Because his nightmare is seeing a Somali-immigrant refugee rise to Congress,” she added. Some Republicans have joined the President in going after Omar, especially targeting her positions on Israel. 'When will the Left condemn this rank anti-Semitism and take some responsibility?' said Sen. Josh Hawley (R-MO). 'It’s official - Omar is a loon & utterly ignorant of history,' tweeted former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.