On Air Now

Listen Now


Mostly Cloudy
H 79° L 59°
  • cloudy-day
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Cloudy. H 79° L 59°
  • cloudy-day
    Mostly Cloudy. H 79° L 59°
  • cloudy-day
    Partly Cloudy. H 82° L 66°

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00


The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00


The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Report: DCFS failed to remove boy from home, despite court order weeks before death

Report: DCFS failed to remove boy from home, despite court order weeks before death

DCFS Failed to Remove Boy From Home, Despite Court Order Weeks Before Death

Report: DCFS failed to remove boy from home, despite court order weeks before death

A 4-year-old California boy who reportedly begged not to live with his parents was allowed to remain in their home despite a court order to remove him. Noah Cuatro died weeks later under suspicious circumstances.

His parents, Jose and Ursula Cuatro, are now under investigation in his death, according to the Los Angeles Times.

>> Read more trending news 

Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said during a news conference Tuesday that deputies received a call around 4 p.m. on July 5 about a child drowning in a community pool at their apartment complex in Palmdale.

“Paramedics did lifesaving measures, transported the child to Palmdale Regional Center, and the child was ultimately transferred to Children’s Hospital in L.A., where he was subsequently pronounced dead,” Villanueva said.

Noah died early Saturday morning.

Lt. Joe Mendoza, one of the investigators on the case, said that, upon Noah’s arrival at the hospital, trauma was observed on his body that was inconsistent with drowning. The department’s Special Victims Bureau was called in to investigate.

“We’re beginning a very exhaustive, lengthy investigation to find out what happened with the tragic, untimely passing of baby Noah,” Villanueva said.

Noah’s siblings, who family members told KTLA in Los Angeles include an older brother, a 2-year-old sister and a 1-month-old brother, have been taken into protective custody.

Mendoza said investigators were in the process of compiling all of Noah’s records from his involvement with the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services.

County Supervisor Kathryn Barger, who represents Los Angeles County’s 5th Supervisorial District, called Noah’s death heartbreaking.

“I see this as an open criminal investigation and I am eager to see what results (from) the investigation by law enforcement and what appropriate criminal charges may follow,” Barger said. “These and other facts gathered by the county will inform us of our next steps.”

Barger said she and her staff would be monitoring the investigation closely to ensure the transparency and accountability she said Noah deserves.

Watch the news conference with Los Angeles County officials below. 

The Times reported that Noah, at the time of his death, was under active supervision by DCFS workers. The supervision stemmed from at least 13 calls over the years to both the agency’s child abuse hotline and local police officials, all reporting suspected abuse of Noah and his siblings.

Child welfare workers in 2014 substantiated an allegation that Noah’s mother fractured the skull of a female child related to her, the Times said. No criminal charges were ever filed.

Noah was removed from the home in 2016 and remained in foster care for two years before being returned to his parents, the newspaper reported.

“Although reunification of a child with his parents is our ultimate goal when we have foster children, sadly, there are times when reunification is not viable for a variety of reasons,” Barger said.

Noah spent time in multiple foster homes, including Bithiah's House, a residential treatment center for chilren in foster care who also need medical care. Michelle Thompson, a co-founder of the facility, told ABC 7 in Los Angeles she remembers Noah well.

The then-2-year-old boy was malnourished and could not walk when he arrived. By the time he left seven months later, he was thriving, she said.

He was such a joy," Thompson told the news station. "He had this crazy wild brown hair and he was so joyful."

Noah’s great-grandmother, Eva Hernandez, also served as a foster parent for Noah before he was sent back to his parents. Hernandez told KTLA when social workers sought in November to return the boy to his parents, he begged not to go.

“I told the social workers, ‘Please, he doesn’t want to leave. He wants to stay here. He begged me,’” Hernandez, 72, told the news station. “He would hold on to me and say, ‘Don’t send me back, Grandma.’ I don’t know. I couldn’t do anything. I just had to send him back.”

Hernandez said Noah’s parents kept him away from her until about three months ago, when she saw him one last time before he died. She told KTLA she sensed her great-grandson wanted to confide in her but couldn’t because his mother was in the room.

“He would say, ‘Grandma,’ then he would just shut down. I kept saying, ‘What’s wrong? Tell me, baby,’ and he wouldn’t say it,” Hernandez said. “He was not the same little boy anymore. He looked so sad and withdrawn.”

More reports of suspected abuse came after Noah was returned home, the Times reported. A caseworker who saw the boy in February noted that he was lethargic and withdrawn, the newspaper said.

Caseworkers received three additional referrals in March and April. In one instance, Noah was seen at a hospital in Sylmar with bruises on his back, the Times said.

Sources told the newspaper a May 13 call alerted caseworkers that Jose Cuatro had a drinking problem and had been seen kicking his wife and children in public. The caller said Cuatro, when drunk, would express doubt that Noah was his son.

A caseworker filed a request with the court the next day seeking an order to remove Noah from the home. A judge granted the request May 15, the Times reported.

Despite the order, and despite allegations that Noah had been sodomized while in his parents’ care, the boy remained in the home, according to the paper.

Barger, who spoke at the news conference before the Times’ report detailing DCFS’ alleged failings in Noah’s case, declined an interview request after the report was published, the newspaper said.

At Tuesday’s news conference, Barger said Noah’s case, like most that rise to city officials’ attention, was a complex one. She pointed out that she stood before the public last year in a similar situation, in which a child’s life was cut short.

“We are here again. It is a chilling reminder that government alone cannot do this,” Barger said.

She urged everyone, from families to civic leaders, to get involved in the fight to keep children safe.

“Child welfare is a shared responsibility,” Barger said.

KTLA reported that Noah’s death is the third high-profile child death in recent years in the Antelope Valley in which the child died in a home where he had been placed by DCFS. Gabriel Fernandez, 8, was tortured and killed in 2013 in a slaying a judge described as “worse than animalistic, (because) even animals know how to take care of their young,” the news station said.

Gabriel was hospitalized with a fractured skull and broken ribs and had BB pellets in his lung and groin, KTLA reported. He died two days later.

Gabriel’s mother, Pearl Fernandez, has been sentenced to life in prison and her boyfriend, Isauro Aguirre, is on death row.

In the Anthony Avalos case, the 10-year-old’s mother and her boyfriend face capital murder charges in his June 2018 torture and death.

Authorities allege Anthony was starved and then force-fed, had hot sauce poured on his face and mouth, was hit with a cord and belt and was held upside down repeatedly before being dropped on his head, KTLA said.

DCFS Director Bobby Cagle said Wednesday he could not go into detail about Noah’s history with the agency due to privacy restrictions. He did offer his condolences in a statement to the news station.

“We join with the community in expressing our deep sadness over the tragic death of this child,” Cagle said, according to KTLA.

Hernandez told the Times that Noah was a sweet boy with “such character, so much charisma.”

“Anywhere we went, he would stop and talk to people,” Hernandez said. “We would be in the market and he would say, ‘My name is Noah. What’s your name?’”

She lamented the fact that Noah’s own desperate wishes for a safe home were not heeded.

“If they would have taken him out of there, he would still be here,” Hernandez told KTLA.

Read More

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • The FHSAA football playoffs continue Friday night with a full slate of games, featuring several of central Florida’s biggest schools vying for a state title. Starting with the Class 5A Region finals, Jones High School is hosting Ocala Vanguard tonight. In the Class 7A Region finals, Edgewater High School is hosting Niceville High School, in Edgewater’s first home playoff game in over a decade. News 96.5 WDBO spoke with Edgewater’s head coach Cameron Duke about tonight’s matchup. “To play a quality team like the Niceville Eagles, they’re undefeated.  And they’ve been a successful program for a very long time in this state, so we’re looking forward to it,” said Duke.  In Sanford, Apopka High School and Seminole High School square off to decide their own Class 8A Region final. All games kick off at 7:30 p.m. For a complete schedule of games and brackets for each division from Class 1A through 8A, click HERE.
  • The teenager who opened fire last week on classmates at Santa Clarita's Saugus High School, fatally wounding two students before turning the gun on himself, used an untraceable 'ghost gun' in the attack, Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said Thursday. >> Read more trending news  Authorities said Nathaniel Tennosuke Berhow, 16, pulled a .45-caliber, 1911-model replica semi-automatic pistol from his backpack in the open-air quad at Saugus High School on Nov. 14. He shot five students at random, police said. Gracie Anne Muelberger, 15, and Dominic Blackwell, 14, were killed in the attack. Investigators said Berhow saved the last bullet for himself. He died from a head wound the next day. Authorities are working to determine who built the gun used in the attack, which included a partially built receiver, meaning it lacked a serial number, The Los Angeles Times reported. 'They're sold as a kit,' Villanueva told KABC-TV. 'You can legally buy it, assemble the weapon yourself and then you have a gun that is not registered, and no one knows that you have it. … That is very dangerous.' Authorities in Los Angeles have noted an increase in recent years in the use and proliferation of ghost guns. The guns are crafted from parts which require no background checks to purchase and so they lack serial numbers, officials with the Los Angeles Police Department and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said. Officials with the ATF are assisting Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies as they work to trace the gun used by Berhow and several other registered and unregistered firearms seized last week from his home, according to KNBC and KCBS-TV. Six of the seized guns belonged to Berhow's late father, according to KCBS-TV. The motive behind last week's shooting remained unclear Friday, despite a search of Berhow's home and police interviews with 45 people. Authorities said Berhow had shown no signs of violence and didn’t appear to be linked to any ideology or terrorist group. He ran cross country, was a Boy Scout and had a girlfriend. Villanueva told KABC-TV that authorities were working to unlock Berhow's cellphone in an effort to gain more information. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • Disney is sharing a behind the scenes snapshot of their new Cirque du Soleil show coming to Disney Springs in 2020. They posed the video on their Disney Park Blog Thursday. It explains the yet to be named show’s theme, which combines animation and acrobatics as a young girl discovers her art. “We’ve discovered in our research that animation is very physical,” creation director Fabrice Becker said in the video. The video shows performers rehearsing as creator’s outline the theme.  The audience can expect to see acrobatics, choreography,  music and fun characters. 'It's a show based on love,' writer and show director Michael Laprise said.  Tickets can be purchased here , the first available is March 17, 2020.  The show replaces La Nouba, which permanently closed in 2017. App users click here to watch the video.
  • The family of a Navy veteran is looking for answers after his body was found on the floor of his Texas apartment nearly three years after his death. >> Read more trending news  A medical examiner has determined Ronald Wayne White had been dead in the apartment since communications with his mother in New York ended abruptly three years ago, WFAA reported. 'My son would call me at least twice a month,' Doris Stevens told WFAA, adding, 'He would call me from Egypt. He would call me from the Philippines. He would call me right from Dallas.” White, who worked for a defense contractor following his military service, traveled frequently and would have been 51 at the time of his death, the news station reported. An officer with the DeSoto Police Department told People magazine White’s body was found last week on the kitchen floor of his DeSoto Town Center apartment when maintenance workers entered the premises to investigate a water issue. “Maintenance men were trying to get into the apartment because they noticed that the water usage was non-existent for some time, so they suspected that there was some type of issue with the water main,” the officer told People. Stevens, who lives in Long Island, New York, told WFAA multiple police departments explained to her over the years that because White was an adult who was known to travel frequently they could not pursue her concerns as a missing persons case. “My biggest question is, how in the world could my son have been dead in that apartment and nobody knows anything?” Stevens told the news station. According to WFAA, DeSoto police have determined White had a month-to-month lease on the apartment paid through an automatic withdrawal from an account linked to his Navy retirement. The new, well-insulated dwelling was located on the third floor with all windows locked and sealed tightly. 'The way he was found, the way the apartment was arranged and so forth, there was zero indication of foul play,' Pete Schulte, a detective with the DeSoto Police Department, told the news station. In addition, police investigators found diabetes medications inside the apartment – dated 2016 – and the family confirmed White was a diabetic, People reported. Read more here or here.
  • At 5:30 this  morning, NASA began their coverage of a spacewalk to repair the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer, an instrument seeking to unlock the mysteries of dark matter. Astronauts Luca Parmitano of the European Space Agency (ESA) and Andrew Morgan of NASA will venture outside the International Space Station for the second in a series of five planned spacewalks to repair the particle physics experiment outside the orbiting laboratory. The duo is scheduled to spend six and a half hours in space today.  Their spacewalk is scheduled to begin at 7:05 a.m. App users click here to watch it live. 

Washington Insider

  • Fifty-six years ago, it was just another Friday. On November 22, 1963, my father had walked the one block home from his job on Capitol Hill to eat lunch with my mother, who was just days away from giving birth to her first child. After having his lunch, my dad was enjoying a little down time on the couch, listening to the radio. That's when the news arrived from Dallas, Texas. “KENNEDY SERIOUSLY WOUNDED PERHAPS SERIOUSLY PERHAPS FATALLY BY ASSASSINS BULLET,” read the bulletin on the UPI wire that was quoted by newscasters around the nation. As soon as he heard the report, my father bolted out the door, running down C Street, S.E. to the Cannon House Office Building, where he worked for a member of Congress from Illinois. “We heard the news on the radio. It was all horrible news,” my mother remembered. “Jim quickly went back to the office.” As my dad rushed towards the Cannon building, a cab pulled up with Ted Henshaw, a future Clerk of the House, and my father's friend and drinking buddy, John Mahoney, who worked with Henshaw at the Democratic National Congressional Committee. 'As we were walking up the steps to the building, your father came running down the street and he said to me - and I will never forget,' Mahoney said – ‘The president has been shot, perhaps fatally!'” Back then, there weren’t walls of televisions in every office. But in Mahoney’s office, there was a teletype machine that brought in news from around the world. “We all tore into the office of course and sure enough, there it was - Merriman Smith had filed a story for UPI,” said Mahoney. “We literally tore the subsequent bulletins off the tape before they made it on the air,” my father said. Like news of Pearl Harbor and the 9/11 attacks, November 22, 1963 was seared on the memory of many of my father’s fellow aides on Capitol Hill. “I was in the cafeteria having lunch and someone ran in and said, 'The President's been shot!' and all hell broke loose,' said Abe Boni, a longtime friend of my parents. “I jumped up out of my chair - I don't know where the hell I thought I was going - but I jumped up,” Boni said many years later, like it was yesterday. When the news broke, Roll Call newspaper founder Sid Yudain was downtown at the time, in a most peculiar place for any reporter. “I was in the ladies room at the Meridian Hill Hotel, which was the hotel for girls at that time,” said Yudain, who had been out to lunch with the hotel owner, a real estate mogul who ran ads in Roll Call. There was no men’s room, so the manager took him to the ladies room and locked the door. “The next thing I know, his name was Goldberg (the manager), and he came in banging on the door and said, ‘You better get out of there! JFK has just been shot!’” Yudain scrambled back to Capitol Hill, stopping first for a drink and to watch the television at the 116 Club, a local political watering hole on the Senate side that most people probably still don’t know even exists. “Then I went to (Speaker) McCormack's office,” said Yudain, but staffers would not let him in at first because of stepped up security for the Speaker in the aftermath of the assassination. Earlier, one of Yudain's reporters had found the Speaker - standing by himself - in the House Press Gallery, doing the same thing my father was doing across the street, reading the reports coming in on the newspaper wire machine. But things didn't stay calm for long for the Speaker, or the Congress. “I remember the state of panic,” said Mahoney, who also was drawn to the Capitol in the immediate aftermath of the news. “I saw the Secret Service flooding the Hill and they came to get Speaker McCormack,” said Mahoney. “I saw him, he was absolutely ashen, I mean he was white panic in his face, and I will never forget that. It left me cold.” “This was Mr. Confidence, he ran the House like some piece of machinery and all of a sudden there he was in the arms of the Secret Service,” said Mahoney. The view from outside the U.S. was also interesting, and that came in a late 1963 letter to my father from his college friend Larry Russell, who recounted what it was like to get the news overseas. Russell was working at the U.S. Embassy in Algeria, where he worked for the State Department as a top aide to Ambassador William J. Porter. “I can add nothing to what your own thoughts and reactions must have been and will not try. In the cold, bleak dawn of another day, however, you might be interested in knowing what this sort of thing does to a small segment of the President’s staff overseas. 'I was attending a cocktail party for Walter Reuther at the Ambassador’s residence when the U.P.I. called to give the old man (the Ambassador) the news of the attempt. He took it rather calmly, came back to the main room and announced it to us all, and the party went on. The Ambassador then excused himself and went upstairs to turn on his radio (he is a HAM operator), dragging me along with him. He tuned in on a broadcast direct from the States, left me to listen and returned to his guests. 'It was thus that I had the very unfortunate job of bringing the final news to the old man. They were fairly good friends, the Porters hailing from Massachusetts and having a summer home very near that of the Kennedys, and the Ambassador took it like a blow to the stomach. He then had to announce the news to his guests, and the party broke up. Then the Ambassador wept. That was certainly my most difficult moment. 'You can’t imagine what Kennedy meant to the career Foreign Service officer, particularly the men like Bill Porter who knew him personally.' To my father, it was obvious what Kennedy meant. Years later, there were still pictures of the 35th President in my dad's office. In a note to his friends nine years ago, it was clear there was still pain. “The effect on this still somewhat idealistic Congressional aide who had been privileged to know and work with some of the top Kennedy people, was devastating,' my father wrote; 'things never seemed to have that same brightness and élan again.' The next few days after Kennedy was assassinated, hundreds of thousands converged on the U.S. Capitol to pay their respects, as they filed through the Rotunda in the bitter November cold. 'I wanted to go there, but Jim wouldn't let me stand in the cold,' my mother remembered years later, noting that she was days away from giving birth. “It was a horrible time for everyone,' she said.  Note: This is an updated version of an article written by Jamie Dupree in 2013.