On Air Now

Listen Now


H 69° L 49°
  • clear-day
    Current Conditions
    Clear. H 69° L 49°
  • clear-night
    Clear. H 69° L 49°
  • cloudy-day
    Partly Cloudy. H 75° L 58°

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00


The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00


The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Memphis riot: 36 officers, deputies hurt after U.S. Marshals shoot and kill man, officials say

Memphis riot: 36 officers, deputies hurt after U.S. Marshals shoot and kill man, officials say

What You Need to Know: The U.S. Marshals Service

Memphis riot: 36 officers, deputies hurt after U.S. Marshals shoot and kill man, officials say

One man is dead and a community is looking for answers after a deadly officer-involved shooting in Memphis, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation said. 

According to a news release sent from the TBI around 3 a.m. Thursday, the shooting happened around 7 p.m. Wednesday.

Officers with the United States Marshals Service confronted a man wanted on multiple warrants outside a home in the 2700 block of Durham Street. 

The suspect was getting into a vehicle, authorities said.

>> Read more trending news

The charges he was wanted on have not been released. 

"While attempting to stop the individual, he reportedly rammed his vehicle into the officers’ vehicles multiple times before exiting with a weapon," the TBI said. 

Officers then used deadly force, shooting and killing the suspect, authorities said. 

Shelby County Commissioner Tami Sawyer posted on social media identifying the victim as Brandon Webber. 

Hours later, the TBI confirmed his name. 

>>On Fox13Memphis: Who is Brandon Webber?: Man shot and killed by U.S. Marshals identified by TBI


Posts across social media echo the name. Searching #BrandonWebber on Twitter yields hundreds of posts identifying him as well.

After the shooting, chaos erupted in Frayser as hundreds gathered near the scene. 

>> On Fox13Memphis.com: Chaos erupts after deadly shooting involving U.S. Marshals in Memphis

Memphis police, Shelby County sheriff's deputies and agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives tried to control the crowd. 

Officers were seen in full riot gear and used megaphones to try and disperse the group. 

Rocks reportedly were thrown at officers. Memphis police cars were hit with chairs as rows of law enforcement officers tried to control the madness, authorities said.

FOX13 Memphis 

MPD Police Chief Michael Rallings said at least 25 officers and deputies were injured during the violent confrontation. He said the injuries were mostly minor., however, a few were "serious."

Police later updated that total to 36 officers and deputies combined from the agencies who responded who suffered injuries. 

However, they confirmed all of the officers have been released from the hospital.

Three people were arrested and charged with Disorderly Conduct and Inciting a Riot. 

The Mayor of Memphis, Jim Strickland took to Facebook early in the morning to release the following statement. 

As I monitored tonight’s fatal shooting involving the US Marshal’s, I was proud of our first responders. I’m impressed...

Posted by Mayor Jim Strickland on Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Visit Fox13Memphis.com for the latest on this developing story.

Read More

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • A strong earthquake was reported Tuesday afternoon in the Caribbean Sea between Cuba and Jamaica, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. The earthquake was reported around 2:10 p.m. EST, according to officials. It was centered about 78 miles south-southeast of Lucea, Jamaica and 87 miles east-northeast of Niquero, Cuba. There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage caused by the temblor. Reports to USGS showed the earthquake was felt as far away as South Florida. In Miami, fire officials ordered a precautionary evacuation of the Stephen P. Clark Government Center, where some reported feeling the quake, according to the Miami Herald. Officials with the National Weather Service’s Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said the earthquake posed no tsunami threat. Tuesday’s temblor is the fourth magnitude 7 or above quake felt in the Caribbean since 2000, USA Today reported. Officials with the USGS initially said the earthquake had a magnitude of 7.3.
  • A California sex offender already in prison on unrelated charges has been accused of torturing and killing five of his own infant children over a nine-year span between 1992 and 2001, authorities said. Paul Allen Perez, 57, was arrested on five counts of premeditated murder Monday, days before he was due to be paroled from prison. According to California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation records, Perez has been in Kern Valley State Prison in Delano since August 2010. He was arrested on the murder charges at Kern Valley, Yolo County Sheriff Tom Lopez said during a news conference Monday morning. “The fact that he was not allowed to walk out of that prison a free man cannot be overlooked,” Lopez said. Perez is accused in the deaths of Nikko Lee Perez, Kato Allen Perez, Mika Alena Perez, Kato Krow Perez and another infant named Nikko Lee Perez, who was born the year after the brother who shared his name. His murder charges include the special circumstances of lying in wait, torture and multiple victims. According to The Associated Press, he also faces charges of assault on a child under 8 and criminal enhancements due to his prior convictions. Lopez described the alleged slayings as acts of “unspeakable evil” that “ignited a resolve in the hearts of all involved to bring justice to the vulnerable and innocent victims of this case.” Perez, a convicted sex offender, became a murder suspect after investigators took a look at the cold case of a slain infant found March 29, 2007, in an irrigation slough just east of Woodland. According to the AP, the baby boy was wrapped in a Winnie the Pooh blanket and a layer of plastic before being placed in a metal cooler. The cooler was weighed down with heavy objects and submerged in the slough, located about 15 miles northwest of Sacramento. The infant, who was about 3 months old when he died, suffered a fractured skull and other blunt force trauma, the AP reported. He also had healing fractures, including broken ribs, that showed a pattern of abuse. Lopez said having the unsolved case on the books haunted investigators in the Yolo County Sheriff’s Office. The case remained unsolved until October, when DNA testing identified the boy as Nikko Lee Perez, who was born Nov. 8, 1996, in Fresno. The sheriff did not go into details of how Nikko’s DNA led to his identification. Fresno is about 190 miles from where the infant’s body was found. It was not immediately clear if his body was in the slough the entire nine years before it was found or if he was hidden elsewhere and dumped there more recently. Watch the news conference with Yolo County law enforcement officials below.  “His identification is the result of extraordinary work done by the Yolo County Coroner’s Office and the California Department of Justice (Bureau of) Forensic Services’ Jan Bashinski DNA Laboratory in Richmond,” Lopez said. “What began as a single unsolved homicide has become so much more. “Sadly, we learned during this investigation that Nikko was not an only child.” Detectives discovered that Nikko had at least four siblings, including Kato Allen Perez, who was born in 1992 in Merced and was known to have died. Kato’s cause and manner of death were not detailed Monday morning. The whereabouts of the other three siblings -- Mika, who was born in 1995; the second Nikko, who was born in 1997; and Kato Krow, born in 2001 -- are unknown, but investigators believe they, too, are dead. “All are now believed to have been murdered as infants,” Lopez said. The fisherman who discovered Nikko’s remains in 2007 told the AP he has never forgotten what he saw that day. “When I opened that box, I was 99 percent sure it was a human body, but I wanted to hold onto the belief that maybe it wasn’t,” Brian Roller said. “When I saw one of the officers (at the scene) start to cry, I knew right then that what I was thinking was true.” Roller told the news agency he was relieved to learn the long-ago mystery had been solved. Lopez said while DNA testing provided the break in the case, it was the “human element” that ultimately led to Perez’s arrest. He said a team of investigators “determined to learn the truth” spent countless hours on the case. “While I am proud of the efforts of my investigators and coroner’s office, this is not a day that will bring joy to any one of us,” Lopez said in a written statement. “In my 40 years in law enforcement, I cannot think of a case more disturbing than this one. There can be no victim more vulnerable and innocent than an infant, and unfortunately this case involves five.” Lopez told reporters he could not answer questions Monday about the case, which is still extremely active. In particular, he said he could not discuss anything regarding additional family members of either Perez or the slain children. Yolo County District Attorney Jeff Reisig, who also spoke at Monday’s news conference, said Perez is eligible for the death penalty. His office is still reviewing the case to determine if it will seek it. The AP reported that Perez was first sent to prison in 1990, sentenced to two years for assault with the intent to commit a sex offense. He was released the following year, according to California’s sex offender registry. He has also served time for vehicle theft, possession of a deadly weapon by an inmate and fleeing while on parole, according to the AP. Anyone with information on Perez or the slain infants is urged to contact the Yolo County Sheriff’s Office at 530-668-5280 or 530-666-8282. Anonymous tips can be called in at 530-668-5248.
  • Butler County and Miami University officials are investigating two possible cases of coronavirus at Miami. Miami officials informed the Butler County General Health District about the possible cases on Tuesday. The people had recently traveled to and returned from China, officials said. They are in isolation and “not severely ill,” officials said in a news release. Samples from their tests were sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Monday. Officials said that, unless someone has recently traveled from China or been near someone ill with the new virus, their risk is low. In an email to the Miami community, officials said a student went to the Student Health Services with “very mild symptoms” on Monday after recently traveling to China. The student “met the criteria for 2019-Coronavirus testing,” and officials expect results from the CDC “in the coming days.” The student and his traveling companion are being isolated in their residence that is away from campus awaiting the test results, the email said. About a dozen Miami University Regional campus students in Hamilton and Middletown list their residence near the area in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China, where the outbreak began in December, according to school officials. It’s unclear how many of those students returned home for winter break and how many remained in the U.S. Officials are asking those who traveled to China and are experiencing symptoms to contact their doctor before traveling to the doctor’s office. The Butler County General Health District has produced a fact sheet about the virus. “This is what public health does and why we train,” Jennifer Bailer, health commissioner for the Butler County General Health District, said in a news release. “Our staff, officials at Miami University and the Ohio Department of Health are taking every precaution to keep the community safe. “The same precautions that protect against catching and spreading the flu are likely to be helpful for this respiratory virus: Wash your hands regularly, avoid touching your nose and eyes, cover your mouth when you cough and sneeze and don’t go to work if ill. Displaying compassion to all people will be vital as the situation evolves.”
  • Authorities in Pennsylvania have filed charges against a 21-year-old man accused of pouring hot sauce into a 7-month-old girl’s mouth and attacking her mother Monday, according to multiple reports. Johnstown police arrested David Jones, 21, on charges of aggravated assault on a person under 6, strangulation, simple assault and harassment, WNEP reported. In a criminal complaint obtained by The Tribune-Democrat, authorities said they were called around 3 a.m. Monday to a home on the 200 block of Ohio Street. A woman told police Jones hit her child, poured hot sauce into the infant’s mouth and sat on the girl, the newspaper reported. The woman said that when she tried to intervene, Jones grabbed her by the neck, threw her against a wall and choked her for about 30 seconds, The Tribune-Democrat and WTAJ reported. Authorities said the woman managed to flee to a neighbor’s home, where she called 911, according to WNEP. “(Police) found the baby responsive with a very clear red rectangular line on her stomach consistent with the foot of the bassinet,” The Tribune-Democrat reported. The child was taken to Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center for evaluation of her injuries, according to WTAJ. A judge ordered Jones held in Cambria County Prison on a $10,000 bond, according to The Tribune-Democrat. Records from Cambria County showed he remained jailed Tuesday.
  • Lots of people associate dip with he Super Bowl, so it's appropriate that Bush's has created a 70-layer bean dip, weighing 1,087 pounds in honor of the upcoming Super Bowl. They say the dip has '10 unique 7-layer bean dip recipes' stacked on top of one another, and was officially recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records last week. (More)

Washington Insider

  • With Republican Senators facing uncertainty over whether to call witnesses like former national security adviser John Bolton, President Donald Trump's legal team wrapped up its opening arguments in the President's impeachment trial on Tuesday by calling on the Senate to reject the case from House Democrats. 'It is time for this end end here now,' said White House Counsel Pat Cipollone. 'We urge the Senate to reject these articles of impeachment.' After almost completely ignoring the question of whether Bolton could tell a story about the President's actions regarding Ukraine, the Trump legal team took on Bolton directly on Tuesday afternoon. 'Nothing in the Bolton revelations, even if true - even if true - would rise to the level of abuse of power or an impeachable offense,' said the President's personal lawyer Jay Sekulow. 'You cannot impeach a President on an unsourced allegation,' Sekulow concluded, as he said the President's defense was 'compelling.' Originally, the White House legal team seemed to be ready to go until close to dinner - but instead used less than two hours of arguments in their third and final day before the Senate. Bubbling underneath the surface of the final summary by the White House legal team was the question of whether GOP Senators would agree to call Bolton - and others as witnesses. Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) said there would not be a scenario where just one witness would be called by the Senate in this impeachment trial. 'If people want witnesses, we're going to get a lot of witnesses,' Graham told reporters before Tuesday's impeachment session began, as he said the GOP would be interested in calling Joe Biden, Hunter Biden, the whistleblower and more. Democrats felt like the White House wrap up was lacking. 'It's clear that they are still reeling from the revelations of John Bolton's book,” said lead House manager Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA).