ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

heavy-rain-night
71°
Few Showers
H 76° L 71°
  • heavy-rain-night
    71°
    Current Conditions
    Few Showers. H 76° L 71°
  • rain-day
    74°
    Evening
    Few Showers. H 76° L 71°
  • rain-day
    73°
    Morning
    Showers. H 78° L 71°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National
Lawsuit: 2-year-old drank beverage contaminated by Starbucks barista’s blood
Close

Lawsuit: 2-year-old drank beverage contaminated by Starbucks barista’s blood

VIDEO: Toddler Drank Starbucks Beverage Allegedly Contaminated By Barista's Blood

Lawsuit: 2-year-old drank beverage contaminated by Starbucks barista’s blood

A California family has filed a lawsuit against Starbucks after they claim their toddler daughter drank a beverage that had been contaminated by a barista’s blood.

Amanda and Louis Vice, of Redlands, filed suit regarding a Feb. 6, 2016, visit to a Starbucks coffee shop in San Bernardino, according to a news release from the Frish Law Group in Los Angeles. The couple, their then-2-year-old daughter and Louis Vice’s mother visited the location and ordered drinks that they took home with them.

After drinking the beverages, they noticed a red smear on one of the signature Starbucks cups, as well as a strong metallic odor, the news release said. There was also a red stain on another of the cups, from which two of them, including the little girl, had been drinking. 

Amanda Vice told KTLA in Los Angeles that she didn’t see anything at first.

“Once we drank it, then we could see on the inside of the rim that there was blood,” Vice told the news station, adding that her daughter had been licking the lid and eating whipped cream from the inside of the cup.

After determining that no one in the family was bleeding, the Vices called Starbucks, at which point they “confirmed that there was, in fact, an employee who was bleeding, but had since been removed from the sales floor,” the law firm’s news release stated.

“My wife and my baby just drank someone’s blood,” Louis Vice told KTLA. “It was bad.”

The Vices were offered free drinks for a week, but were “extremely concerned” that they, their daughter or Louis Vice’s mother could become sick if the employee had any diseases communicable by blood, such as HIV, the couple’s lawyer, Stan Pekler, said in the news release. The manager initially agreed, but never followed through with having the employee get a blood test to reassure the family of their safety.

“The family was then left to schedule their own blood tests, causing extreme distress for the parents, as they had to watch their daughter be poked with a needle and agonizingly wait for the results,” Pekler said

Though the initial results were all negative, the family had to be retested again six months later to ensure that no HIV antibodies popped up after the round of tests. 

“This caused the family stress, nervousness, fright, anguish, grief, anxiety, worry and shock for several months while awaiting the second round of test results,” Pekler’s statement read. 

>> Read more trending news

Pekler and the family began negotiating with Starbucks for a proper resolution to the situation, and the company offered each family member $1,000 for their trouble, the statement said. 

“This does not begin to compensate the family for suffered injuries and damages for which Starbucks is liable,” the news release stated. “Immediately upon learning they had consumed beverages that contained human blood, the family experienced suffering, as well as feelings of anguish, fright, horror, nervousness, grief, anxiety, worry, shock, humiliation, and shame. They endured additional distress because Starbucks seemed to not care about their well-being and refused to direct the employee to undergo a blood test to ensure the family's safety.”

“We felt sick to our stomachs,” Amanda Vice told KTLA. “We shouldn’t have to worry about going to get something to drink and there being blood in our drink where we could get sick.”

The lawsuit seeks damages on claims of failure to warn the family, negligence, breach of express and implied warranty, fraud, intentional infliction of emotional distress, battery, assault, negligent hiring and negligent training and supervision, Pekler said

A Starbucks representative told KTLA that the company is aware of the lawsuit and is prepared to present its own case in court. 

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • Law enforcement is asking for the public’s help to find two Ohio prisoners who escaped Saturday night from the Community Correctional Center in Turtlecreek Township. Deputies from the Warren County Sheriff’s Office responded around 8:30 p.m. to the area of 5234 State Route 63, the CCC, for a report of two men running through a field. They jumped into an older model silver minivan and fled the area. >> Read more trending news  The men, identified as Daniel Hatfield Jr. and Jeremy Mink, were confirmed to have escaped from the facility run by the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation & Correction, according to the Sheriff’s Office. Hatfield, 27, stands 5 feet 6 inches, weighs 186 pounds, has blue eyes and brown hair. He was last seen wearing tan pants and a white shirt. He is sentenced to CCC after being convicted of a probation violation for drug offenses out of Butler County. Mink 28, stands 6 feet, 1 inch, weighs 195 pounds has blue eyes and brown hair. He was last seen wearing tan pants and no shirt. He was sentenced to CCC after being convicted of drug offenses out of Clermont County. Anyone with information on either man’s whereabouts is urged to contact the Warren County Sheriff’s Office at 513-695-1280.
  • Central Floridians can expect to see rain all day Sunday, starting in the overnight hours and continuing in through the evening. 'You’ve probably learned to keep your umbrella handy with the recent rains, and Sunday will be no different,' said WFTV meteorologist George Waldenberger.  Watch live: Doppler 9 HD Some areas will see heavy showers as early as sunrise Sunday.  Periods of rain will continue throughout the day, with isolated lightning.  Some areas will see as much as 2-3' of rainfall.    Uh, did you see the #rainbow tonight as the sun set? Wow! #WFTV #Florida #Orlando #EolaSouth #ThorntonPark pic.twitter.com/5chTP4GkvW — George Waldenberger (@GWaldenWFTV) May 20, 2018 Flood advisories  Localized flooding will be a possibility as wet weather continues to move through a saturated Central Florida.  Flood advisories were issued for parts of southern Lake and western Orange counties Saturday afternoon as storms continued to drench an already saturated Central Florida.  Isolated 3-4' rainfall totals and it's still coming down... How much in your neighborhood?#WFTV #Florida #Orlando pic.twitter.com/KloroMNeTm — George Waldenberger (@GWaldenWFTV) May 19, 2018 *Please do not drive through #flooded roadways* Western Orange and Southern Lake Counties have been added to the areas under a flood advisory, this one until 4:30pm, due to the threat for minor flooding. #WFTV #Florida #Orlando pic.twitter.com/hUXKnhTpoc — George Waldenberger (@GWaldenWFTV) May 19, 2018 According to the flood advisory, some areas that could experience flooding are Apopka, Ocoee, Winter Garden, Tavares and Mount Dora. The flood advisory was in effect until 4:30 p.m.  Eastern Seminole and central Volusia counties were also under a minor flood advisory until 4:15 p.m.  Weekend's forecast The storms' pattern will change on Saturday, as the high over the Atlantic will skid west and the 'tropical moisture highway' will be rechannel right over Florida.    Do you see the high moving west? Well, you can thank it for driving the moisture stream back over #Florida. Pronounced showers & storms this weekend. Saturday will start out dry, then storms develop mainly E to W. Outdoors in the morning inland, move indoors by noon. #stormalert9 pic.twitter.com/5Tz3OHGdpA — Irene Sans (@IreneSans) May 19, 2018   Showers and storms during Saturday morning will be focused along the coast. By the beginning of the afternoon the storms will arrive to inland counties and continue to affect most of Central Florida during the rest of the afternoon. The rain-showers will gradually decrease after sunset. If you have plans outdoors inland, make sure to stay weather aware, lightning and torrential rain can arrive quick.  Send us your weather pics using #stormalert9 The shower and storm pattern will be mainly south to north on Sunday. Showers will be present through the late morning and then, intermittent storms will develop starting early afternoon through the early evening.   Even *more* storm energy rolls into central Florida this weekend, with heavy rain and possible flooding. Ugh. pic.twitter.com/vf76dVJd4o — tom terry (@TTerryWFTV) May 19, 2018   Threats Lightning will be the main threat this weekend. Lightning can strike 10 miles away from a thunderstorm's base, make sure to stay weather aware.  << Download the free WFTV Weather app to receive lightning alerts when lightning strikes within 8 miles from your location >> This week some parts of Central Florida have received over 8 inches of rain. After this weekend, 12 inches of rain in total are possible. Expect amount to range between two to four inches through the weekend. With the already saturated ground, any showers could really produce flooding. Stay away from flooded roadways. Six inches of accumulated rain could make a car stall out and 12 inches can make most cars float away.  Watch Channel 9 Eyewitness News starting at 5 a.m. meteorologist Eboni Deon will be tracking the showers and thunderstorms developing across Central Florida.
  • Houston police Chief Art Acevedo is calling for gun reform, after 10 people were shot and killed and 10 more hurt in a shooting at Santa Fe High School in Santa Fe, Texas. >>Read: Santa Fe High School shooting: 10 dead, 10 injured, suspect arraigned on capital murder charges The gunman was identified as Dimitrios Pagourtzis, a 17-year-old student at the school. Pagourtzis was arraigned on capital murder and aggravated assault charges Friday.  >>Read: Texas shooting: Who is Dimitrios Pagourtzis, suspect in the Santa Fe High School attack In the post on his Facebook page, Acevedo said that he has hit “rock bottom” after this deadly shooting. “Today I spent the day dealing with another mass shooting of children and a responding police officer who is clinging to life. I'm not ashamed to admit I've shed tears of sadness, pain and anger,” Acevedo posted. “I know some have strong feelings about gun rights but I want you to know I’ve hit rock bottom and I am not interested in your views as it pertains to this issue.” >> Read more trending news  School resource officer John Barnes was injured in Friday’s shooting. He remains in critical condition, the University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) tweeted Saturday. According to CNN, Barnes is a former officer with the Houston Police Department. Acevedo also called “shame” to those in power who are not speaking out against gun violence, in a post on Twitter. Acevedo has been vocal about gun control in the past. According to CNN, Acevedo urged others to join him to change legislation after the deadly massacre in Las Vegas last year were 58 people were killed.  Acevedo is the first Hispanic to lead the department. Before that, he was chief of the Austin Police Department, according to the Houston police department website.  He was sworn in as Houston police chief in 2016.
  • A malfunctioning valve is believed to have caused an explosion and fire at a Texas chemical plant Saturday morning, officials said. >> Read more trending news  The incident took place Kuraray America Eval factory in Pasadena, KHOU reported.  The La Porte Police Department told KHOU that 22 people were injured. Two people suffered serious burn injuries, while the other injuries were not considered life-threatening, KHOU reported. All employees have been accounted for, company officials said. City officials said there was no danger to the public. The fire has been extinguished. The plant specializes in making chemicals, fiber and resin, The Associated Press reported.
  • Everyone who walks through the doors of this weekend's gun show in Orlando is being put on notice of a new gun sale ordinance. The gun show, which started Saturday, is the first in Orange County since the new ordinance was put in place requiring a three-day waiting period on private sales.  Orlando police said Thursday they would be enforcing the new ordinance, since the gun show is in their jurisdiction.  “Listen, it's our intention to comply with the law. We're not here to buck the system,” said Jorge Fernandez, who manages Florida Gun Shows, which is organizing this weekend’s event.  He said buyers and sellers will notice significant changes, because of the new ordinance.  Earlier this month, commissioners voted to crack down on private sellers at these events, by requiring them to also conduct background checks and wait three days to give guns to buyers.  There are flyers throughout the fairgrounds explaining requirements for private sellers.  “They have to go through a federally licensed firearms dealer to conduct that transaction,” said Fernandez.  That way, the dealer can do a background check with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and hold the gun for the buyer.  “They come back in three days and you can pick up the firearm at the store,” said Fernandez.  Fernandez said his staff will keep a close eye on all their vendors, but also on anyone who walks through these doors.  At previous events, attendees could sell guns among themselves without a background check or waiting period.  Now, that's not allowed either.  “And I foresee that we're going to ban them in all our shows as more ordinances pop up,” said Fernandez.  Orlando police said if they they catch someone breaking the new law, that person could face a 60-day jail sentence, six months of probation and/or a $500 fine.