ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
87°
Isolated Thunderstorms
H 88° L 74°
  • cloudy-day
    87°
    Current Conditions
    Isolated Thunderstorms. H 88° L 74°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    78°
    Evening
    Isolated Thunderstorms. H 88° L 74°
  • cloudy-day
    75°
    Morning
    Mostly Cloudy. H 85° L 74°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National
Former longtime Louisiana sheriff charged with rape, incest
Close

Former longtime Louisiana sheriff charged with rape, incest

Ex-Louisiana Sheriff Charged with Rape, Incest

Former longtime Louisiana sheriff charged with rape, incest

A former longtime Louisiana sheriff has been charged with multiple sex crimes, including rape and incest, authorities said. 

Rodney Jack Strain Jr., 56, of Abita Springs, is charged with two counts of aggravated rape, two counts of aggravated incest, indecent behavior with a juvenile and sexual battery, according to St. Tammany Parish Jail records. He is being held in lieu of $2.4 million bond. 

>> Read more trending news

Strain is in the same jail he once presided over as St. Tammany Parish sheriff. Warren Montgomery, district attorney for Louisiana’s 22nd Judicial District, said Strain faces life in prison on the aggravated rape charges.  

Montgomery said during a news conference Tuesday that Strain, who NOLA.com reported served as St. Tammany sheriff for 20 years, had been under investigation for 18 months after investigators with the Louisiana State Police, the FBI and the Internal Revenue Service presented his office with evidence of the alleged sex crimes. 

NOLA.com reported the allegations surfaced during a separate investigation in which FBI agents were looking into an inmate work release contract Strain awarded in 2013. The company that was awarded the contract was in the names of the children of two of Strain’s deputies, the news site said

Both former St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office captains pleaded guilty for their part in the business scheme in February. 

Meanwhile, the sex abuse investigation of Strain continued. 

“Over the following months, we conducted a joint investigation, brought in the U.S. Postal Inspection Service and used the grand jury to confirm and corroborate the allegations,” Montgomery said. “The results of that investigation were presented to the grand jury, which returned an indictment this morning.”

Watch District Attorney Warren Montgomery's news conference below. 

Strain is accused of abusing a total of four victims, Montgomery’s staff said in a news release. He is accused of committing aggravated rape on one victim between June 1979 and July 1980, and a second victim between January 1975 and September 1981. 

The third and fourth alleged victims were relatives of his. He is accused of aggravated incest against both victims, one between 1996 and 2002. Strain is also accused of indecent behavior with the third victim, the news release said

The fourth victim, who was reportedly abused in 2004, was also a victim of sexual battery, according to Montgomery’s office

Strain’s indictment, which was obtained by NOLA.com, indicates two of the four victims were under the age of 12 when the abuse took place. Strain himself would have been 12 years old in 1975, when the time frame for one of the alleged crimes began, the news site pointed out

“I have a duty to pursue justice when a crime has been committed,” Montgomery said during Tuesday’s news conference. “The grand jury also has a duty, and when presented with evidence (of sexual misconduct by Mr. Strain) that made a determination of probable cause evident to them, they returned an indictment in this matter. 

“Mr. Strain deserves a speedy and fair trial by an impartial jury, and for that reason, I will have no further comment or answer any questions.”

Strain, who started his law enforcement career with the Abita Springs Police Department, was first elected sheriff in St. Tammany Parish in 1996, NOLA.com said. He remained in office through 2014 before being defeated by current Sheriff Randy Smith. 

Smith issued a statement Tuesday, in which he said the allegations against Strain are “disgraceful and shocking,” NOLA.com reported

Residents of tiny Abita Springs also expressed shock in December, when the allegations against their one-time police chief first surfaced publicly. 

“We never saw him as that person,” resident Evette Randolph told the news site. “He was always a well-mannered guy to be around. From growing up around him, it just doesn’t sound like the guy we knew then.”

Aside from the mandatory life sentence if convicted of the aggravated rape charges, Strain faces up to 20 years for each aggravated incest charge, up to 10 years on the sexual battery charge and up to seven years on the indecent behavior charge, according to Montgomery’s office

Read More

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • A Springfield, Ohio, man who pleaded guilty to killing his neighbor’s dog with a baseball bat in April avoided jail time and was sentenced to community service. Jeffrey Sagraves was ordered to 40 hours of community service and to pay $300 in fines for burglary and cruelty to a companion animal. >> On WHIO.com: Springfield man accused of killing dog with baseball bat He was facing a maximum of 18 months in jail for burglary and 12 months for cruelty to a companion animal. In October, Sagraves called 911 to report that there were two pit bulls in his backyard attacking his cat, according to Clark County Common Pleas Court documents. During the call, he reportedly told dispatchers that the dogs belonged to his neighbor and threatened to kill the dogs if police didn’t show up soon The cat died during the attack, according to court records. >> Read more trending news  Minutes later, a neighbor, Lisa Marie Everhart, called 911 and said a man identified as Sagraves reportedly broke into her home and hit her dog in the head with a wooden bat. She was visibly upset, as well as her young children, who were screaming and crying, according to a court affidavit. Everhart was charged with a misdemeanor for failing to confine her dogs.
  • President Donald Trump took to Twitter on Saturday to slam The New York Times for its report that the United States has increased cyberattacks on Russia's power grid. >> Read more trending news  'Do you believe that the Failing New York Times just did a story stating that the United States is substantially increasing Cyber Attacks on Russia,' Trump tweeted shortly after 9 p.m. Saturday. 'This is a virtual act of Treason by a once great paper so desperate for a story, any story, even if bad for our Country.' He continued: 'ALSO, NOT TRUE! Anything goes with our Corrupt News Media today. They will do, or say, whatever it takes, with not even the slightest thought of consequence! These are true cowards and without doubt, THE ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE!' >> See the tweets here Earlier Saturday, the newspaper, citing 'current and former government officials,' reported that the U.S. 'is stepping up digital incursions into Russia's electric power grid.'  The news comes at least seven years after U.S. officials began putting 'reconnaissance probes' in Russia's grid, the Times reported. 'But now the American strategy has shifted more toward offense, officials say, with the placement of potentially crippling malware inside the Russian system at a depth and with an aggressiveness that had never been tried before,' the Times reported, adding that the move is part-warning, part-preparation for launching U.S. attacks 'if a major conflict' with Russia develops. Two unnamed officials with the Trump administration said they did not think the president had received detailed briefings about the U.S. implants in the Russian electric system, according to the Times.  Officials have hesitated to give him the details over worries that he might divulge information to foreign officials or react unfavorably, sources told the Times. Read more here.
  • Its going to be a busy day in Central Florida this Tuesday as Orlando prepares for President Trump's arrival and re-election rally at the Amway Center. As expected, there will be both supporters and protesters who show up to this event. In anticipation of this rally, some protesters have launched a Go Fund Me campaign to bring what they call a V.I.P.( or very important protester) to Orlando's Win With Love Rally.  They are hoping to raise $3,500 to bring the Baby Trump balloon to Orlando. You may remember this balloon was flown over London back in July of 2018 in protest while President Trump made a visit to the United Kingdom.  The funds will not only cover the costs to transport, set up, anchor, and staff the balloon, but also to cover interpretation and Real Time Captioning services for those who are hard of hearing and for non English monolingual speakers.  You can see the funds that have been raised so far here. You can also find out more information about the anti-Trump rally on Facebook here.
  • The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating a deputy involved shooting Saturday morning that put a man in the hospital. They say at 1 a.m., Osceola County deputies found an abandoned black 2016 Dodge Ram parked on the shoulder of Poinciana Boulevard near the intersection by Reeves Road. The car reportedly still had the keys in the ignition. After further investigation, they found a man, identified as 41 year old Zachary Aaron Dollar hiding in the wooded area on the northbound side of the Boulevard.  Police say Dollar hid behind a concrete telephone pole and then ran out aggressively towards the deputy. After failing multiple commands from the deputy to stop, that's when Dollar was shot in the abdomen by the deputy. After he was hit, he then began to obey and deputies were able to help him. An opened folding knife was reportedly found in the area that the deputy met Dollar.  So far, Dollar's injuries are non-life threatening and the empty car is registered in Dollar's name. The deputy involved in the shooting is on administrative while with pay as the FDLE continues their investigation.
  • The wait is finally over! Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure, the latest addition to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal's Islands of Adventure is now open. The ride made its debut on Thursday, with some fans claiming they had to wait up to 10 hours just for a chance to ride it.  The 300 million dollar attraction certainly has a lot to cater to fans of the franchise. The ride takes you on a journey through the Forbidden Forest and allows you to encounter some creatures that are both seen and never been seen in the films. It also takes you backwards and forward with speeds up to 50 miles per hour and a free fall that feels like a 17 foot drop.  However, reactions on social media have been mixed:   Some people on social media say that the park offered free water and allowed people to save their place in line as they used the bathroom. Since Friday, the park has begun using a virtual queue in its official park app so goers wont have to wait in massive lines. They will simply be notified on their phone when its time to go back in line. However, during Friday's run, riders experienced mid-way stops and a nearly 3 hour maintenance delay.  Long wait times continue to stretch up to 8 hours throughout Father's Day weekend and are expected to remain so for a while. Park leaders warn people who attend that it may reach capacity before the end of the day, so its always best to arrive early to try and get a spot in line.

Washington Insider

  • NBC News and the Democratic National Committee unveiled the lineups for the first two night debate in late June, setting the stage for the first group face off of the large Democratic field for 2020, with three top candidates getting paired together on the second night. The first night - Wednesday June 26 - features Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), while former Vice President Joe Biden, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigeg, and Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA) are grouped together on Thursday. Here are the lineups as announced Friday by NBC News, which is hosting this first debate in Miami. The lineup means that four of the top five candidates - in terms of overall polling right now among Democrats - will be in the second debate, with Warren the only one of those leaders going on Wednesday.