Sct Thunderstorms
H 92° L 76°
  • clear-night
    Current Conditions
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 92° L 76°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 92° L 76°
  • cloudy-day
    Partly Cloudy. H 91° L 75°

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00


The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00


The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Disturbing details emerge as Toronto serial killer Bruce McArthur admits killing 8 men

Disturbing details emerge as Toronto serial killer Bruce McArthur admits killing 8 men

Disturbing Details Released After Toronto Serial Killer Bruce McArthur Admitted to Killing 8 Men

Disturbing details emerge as Toronto serial killer Bruce McArthur admits killing 8 men

A Toronto landscaper who killed eight men and buried their body parts in potted plants and a ravine at one of his job sites took photos of his victims, whom he posed naked and unconscious, sometimes wearing a fur coat or hat and holding a cigar between their slack lips, a Canadian court heard Monday

Bruce McArthur, 67, pleaded guilty Jan. 29 to murdering Skandaraj Navaratnam, Abdulbasir Faizi, Majeed Kayhan, Soroush Mahmudi, Kirushnakumar Kanagaratnam, Dean Lisowick, Selim Esen and Andrew Kinsman, according to CTV News Toronto. McArthur, who is gay, picked up several of his victims in Toronto’s Church-Wellesley Village area, a predominantly gay downtown neighborhood that is also known as Gay Village.  

“Mr. McArthur intended and caused all of their deaths,” Crown attorney Michael Cantlon said during McArthur’s Jan. 29 plea hearing. “After he murdered the men, Mr. McArthur, in an effort to avoid detection, dismembered their bodies.”

The majority of the men’s remains were hidden inside large outdoor planters at a home where he worked, according to a statement of facts filed with the Superior Court of Justice. The rest were buried in a ravine adjacent to that property.  

The owner of the home, Karen Fraser, last week pointed out to a CTV News crew eight trees the City of Toronto has planted along the ravine to honor the men -- two of whom she said she met when they accompanied McArthur as he worked on her property. She said the McArthur who killed the victims is not the man she and her husband knew.

“We call it ‘Bruce A’ and ‘Bruce B,’” Fraser told the news agency. “‘Bruce A’ was a man who seemed to have made decisions about his life and was very happy with it. He enjoyed his job. He enjoyed his clients.”

“(He) never got bored with the plants. He was very talented at it. He was very fond of his children. He was a great grandfather. He was the best friend, neighbor, relative that anyone could want. That was ‘Bruce A.’ ‘Bruce B,’ who was that? I don’t know.”


Police recover, ID remains of 8th victim attributed to Toronto serial killer

‘The news crushed me’

Most of McArthur’s victims were gay and had immigrated to Canada from the Middle East or South Africa. Several family members and friends spoke of their loss during the first few days of the sentencing hearing, which began Monday. 

“I don’t know that I can properly describe the pain and suffering that I and my family have gone through over the years, and I believe that this suffering will continue to affect us forever,” Kayhan’s brother, Jalil Kayhan, wrote in a statement, according to The Canadian Press

Describing his family as “very traditional,” Kayhan wrote that his slain brother has two children, three grandchildren and a number of nieces and nephews.

“This has impacted all of their health and well-being,” he wrote.

Jean-Guy Cloutier, a friend who reported McArthur’s first victim, Navaratnam, missing in 2010, said he was devastated by his friend’s disappearance, and then once again when he learned his fate.

“The news crushed me,” Cloutier said, according to The Canadian Press. “When a person goes missing, it brings up another level of anxiety and a loss that is hard to describe. Having someone that I loved dearly killed is another level of loss, and life-changing.”

Alexandra Newbould/The Canadian Press via AP
In this artist's sketch, admitted serial killer Bruce McArthur, center, attends the first day of his sentencing hearing in Toronto on Monday, Feb. 4, 2019. McArthur, a 67-year-old landscaper, has pleaded guilty to eight counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of men he picked up in and around Toronto's Gay Village neighborhood.

Disturbing details emerge as Toronto landscaper admits to 8 serial killings

Photo Credit: Alexandra Newbould/The Canadian Press via AP
In this artist's sketch, admitted serial killer Bruce McArthur, center, attends the first day of his sentencing hearing in Toronto on Monday, Feb. 4, 2019. McArthur, a 67-year-old landscaper, has pleaded guilty to eight counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of men he picked up in and around Toronto's Gay Village neighborhood.

Kanagaratnam, who, like Navaratnam, was from Sri Lanka, fled to Canada to escape violence in his homeland, a friend, Paranavan Thangavel, told the court. Kanagaratnam was denied refugee status just a couple of months before he disappeared. 

“Torture and murders like these are incidents that occur all too frequently in Sri Lanka,” Thangavel said. “For us now to hear of such a horrible death, we who live in this world as refugees feel like there is no safety for us anywhere in the world.”

Mahmudi’s widow, Umme Fareena Mazook, sobbed as a Crown attorney read her statement in court, The Canadian Press reported. She and Kareema Faizi detailed their struggles to make ends meet after their husbands vanished. 

Faizi told the court she works 18 hours a day to provide for her daughters, who were 6 and 10 when their father was killed in 2010. 

“They pretend to be strong in front of me,” Faizi said of her daughters. “But when they are alone in their room, they take a picture of their father with them. I hear them crying constantly.”

Read more of the victims’ impact statements here

Photos and other trophies of death

Prosecutors last week shared publicly for the first time some of the evidence they uncovered during searches of McArthur’s home and van. That evidence included what could be considered McArthur’s “murder kit” -- a duffel bag holding duct tape, a surgical glove, rope, zip ties, a bungee cord and syringes, the statement of fact said

Investigators also found objects with victims’ DNA on them inside McArthur’s van, along with the weapon used to kill at least two of the victims. The public learned Monday, the first day of McArthur’s sentencing hearing, that the murder weapon was a metal bar that had a rope attached to it to fashion a garrote. 

“This created a mechanism whereby rotating the bar would turn the knot, increasing pressure on the neck,” another statement of facts in the case said, according to CTV News

All of McArthur’s victims died of ligature strangulation. 

Cantlon told the court that photos found on the hard drive of McArthur’s laptop were some of the most disturbing evidence -- photos of the victims, naked and either unconscious or dead. The murder weapon could be seen around the necks of some of the men, CTV News reported

Some of the photos showed the unwitting models wearing a fur coat or fur hat, with unlit cigars placed in their mouths, the court heard. 

The photos indicated that the victims were restrained and sexually assaulted before they were killed, Cantlon said. The photos were separated into eight folders, each labeled with a victim’s name, on McArthur’s computer. 

Tijana Martin/The Canadian Press via AP
In this July 5, 2018, photo, members of the Toronto Police Service excavate a ravine behind a Mallory Crescent home connected to admitted serial killer Bruce McArthur. McArthur, a 67-year-old landscaper, pleaded guilty Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2019, to eight counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of men he picked up in or around Toronto’s Gay Village neighborhood. 

Police recover, ID remains of 8th victim attributed to Toronto serial killer

Photo Credit: Tijana Martin/The Canadian Press via AP
In this July 5, 2018, photo, members of the Toronto Police Service excavate a ravine behind a Mallory Crescent home connected to admitted serial killer Bruce McArthur. McArthur, a 67-year-old landscaper, pleaded guilty Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2019, to eight counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of men he picked up in or around Toronto’s Gay Village neighborhood. 

There was a ninth folder labeled “John,” the name of McArthur’s potential ninth victim, who investigators said was found tied up on McArthur’s bed when police busted into his home Jan. 18, 2018, to arrest him. Investigators had McArthur under surveillance and grew concerned when he took a young man up to his apartment. 

CTV News reported that the court heard Monday that John had been invited to McArthur’s home, where he’d been told to undress quickly because McArthur’s son or roommate might come home soon. After he was naked, he was handcuffed to the bed and a black bag was placed over his head, prosecutors said. 

McArthur refused to remove the bag and, when the man got it off his head himself, McArthur then tried to tape his mouth shut.

“A forensic analysis of Mr. McArthur’s computer showed that on the day of Mr. Kinsman’s murder, Mr. McArthur had searched for John and downloaded photographs of him from social media,” Cantlon said, according to CTV News

Detectives also found some of the victims’ belongings in McArthur’s home. They found a bracelet belonging to Navaratnam, 40, who became McArthur’s first known victim when he vanished from Gay Village in September 2010. 

They also found jewelry belonging to Lisowick, a 47-year-old homeless man who they believe was killed in April 2016, CTV News reported. A notebook belonging to Esen was also found.

Esen, 44, was reported missing in April 2017.

A timeline of murder

One statement of facts obtained by the news agency detailed a timeline of the murders:

Navaratnam was killed on or about Sept. 6, 2010. During the investigation, detectives found a piece of leather lacing in McArthur’s van that contained Navaratnam’s DNA. His bracelet was found in McArthur’s bedroom.

Faizi, 42, was killed on or about Dec. 29, 2010, after disappearing from Gay Village. His abandoned vehicle was found near a home to which McArthur had access at the time of the slaying. 

Kayhan, 58, was killed on or about Oct. 18, 2012, in a murder described as “sexual in nature.” Like Faizi and Navaratnam before him, Kayhan vanished from Gay Village. His body was one of the ones staged for photos after the killing.

Toronto police investigators in 2012 established Project Houston, a task force that sought to solve the disappearances of Navaratnam, Faizi and Kayhan, but it was disbanded after 18 months, the Toronto Star reported last year.

Mahmudi, 50, was killed on or about Aug. 15, 2015, another victim of a sexual killing. The statement of facts said evidence was found that McArthur used ligatures to bind Mahmudi and, after killing him, staged his body. A coat found in McArthur’s van held Mahmudi’s DNA. 

Kanagaratnam, 37, was killed under similar circumstances as Mahmudi on or about Jan. 6, 2016. According to CTV News, he was never reported missing and had no clear ties to the LGBTQ community. 

Kanagaratnam was identified after investigators released a heavily touched-up photo of a victim in a public effort to identify the man. 

Frank Gunn/The Canadian Press via AP
A police forensics tent sits in the backyard of a house on Mallory Crescent in Toronto on Tuesday, Jan. 30, 2018. Police found human remains of eight men buried in potted plants at the home, as well as in an adjacent ravine, while investigating the case against admitted serial killer Bruce McArthur. The 67-year-old landscaper pleaded guilty Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2019, to eight counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of the men, who he picked up in and around Toronto’s Gay Village neighborhood.

Remains of at least 6 people found in potted plants in Canadian serial killer probe

Photo Credit: Frank Gunn/The Canadian Press via AP
A police forensics tent sits in the backyard of a house on Mallory Crescent in Toronto on Tuesday, Jan. 30, 2018. Police found human remains of eight men buried in potted plants at the home, as well as in an adjacent ravine, while investigating the case against admitted serial killer Bruce McArthur. The 67-year-old landscaper pleaded guilty Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2019, to eight counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of the men, who he picked up in and around Toronto’s Gay Village neighborhood.

Lisowick was killed on or about April 23, 2016. Again, the killing was sexual in nature, Lisowick was bound with a ligature and there was evidence of staging after his death. 

Esen was killed on or about April 16, 2017, in a sexual killing. Detectives found evidence that he had been bound with rope when he was killed, and Esen’s DNA was found in McArthur’s van. The murder weapon found in the vehicle also had Esen’s DNA on it. 

Kinsman, 49, was the final victim, killed on or about June 26, 2017, the date on which his calendar had a notation -- “Bruce.” Kinsman, who provided the link to McArthur that authorities needed to solve the case, also died in a sexual killing and was bound with rope during his slaying. 

Video surveillance obtained by authorities showed Kinsman getting into McArthur’s van outside his home the day he disappeared, the court document said. Kinsman’s DNA was found in the vehicle, as well as on the garrote used to kill him. 

Despite the 2012 investigation into the disappearances of McArthur’s first three victims, he was not on police detectives’ radar until Kinsman’s disappearance, CTV News reported. LGBTQ advocates in Toronto have accused police and city officials of not taking the disappearances of the victims, most of whom were gay immigrants, seriously enough. 

McArthur is expected to be sentenced Friday, according to The Canadian Press.  

Read More

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • The trial of Everett Miller, the ex- U.S. Marine accused of murdering two Kissimmee police officers began Monday. Miller is facing first-degree murder charges in the 2017 shooting deaths of Officer Matthew Baxter and Sgt. Sam Howard.  The judge said he expects it will take a week to a week and a half to seat a jury in the high-profile case.  The court continues to work through the first set of 76 potential jurors who were called in Monday morning, another 76 potential jurors will be called in after that.  Miller was dressed in civilian clothes as he sat in front of potential jurors, after the judge last week denied his request to wear his military uniform at trial.  It will be up to the judge and attorneys on both sides to find 12 jurors and four alternates who will decide Miller's fate.
  • Police were searching for the man they dubbed the “Foul Mouth Bandit.” Detectives in Portland, Oregon, were trying to identify the man responsible for four bank and credit union robberies and the robbery of a bar in April 2017 when the name Tyrone Lamont Allen came across their radar. There was a problem with Allen as the suspect, however. Allen, 50, has multiple elaborate, prominent tattoos on his forehead, cheeks and neck, as seen in April 18, 2017, booking photos shot following his arrest on unrelated warrants. The tattoos include several clearly readable names on his forehead. >> Read more trending news  Only two of the four bank tellers who encountered the robber earlier that month recalled seeing tattoos, court records show. One mentioned tattoos on the man's hands and the other mentioned faded tattoos on the man's neck. None of the four witnesses noted tattoos on the robber's forehead or cheeks, which according to surveillance images of the man, were clearly visible -- and clearly bare of ink. A police forensic criminalist testified last week about how investigators solved the problem. They turned to Photoshop. 'I basically painted over the tattoos,'' Mark Weber testified, according to The Oregonian. 'Almost like applying electronic makeup.' Only then did investigators present Allen's photo to the witnesses in a photo lineup, the newspaper reported. None of the witnesses were told the photos had been altered -- which the newspaper reported is a violation of U.S. Department of Justice and other law enforcement agencies' protocols on how to handle photo lineups. According to court records, two of the four witnesses picked Allen out of the array. One said he did not see the robber in the six photos he was shown and another picked a different man's photo. Allen was subsequently charged with three counts of robbery and one count of attempted robbery. Because the targets were banks and credit unions, he is charged with federal crimes. The Innocence Project, an organization dedicated to helping exonerate wrongly convicted inmates, reports that mistaken witness identifications have contributed to about 71 percent of the more than 360 wrongful convictions in the U.S. overturned by post-conviction DNA analysis. Allen’s defense attorney, who last month filed a motion asking a judge to suppress the witness identifications at trial, argued in federal court last week that the police were trying to “rig the outcome” of the lineups by making his client look more like the man who robbed the banks and credit unions, The Oregonian reported. “This is a very, very slippery slope given the advent of technology,’’ attorney Mark Ahlemeyer said. “We don’t know where this may end.” The prosecutor in the case, Assistant U.S. Attorney Paul Maloney, defended the actions of police. “The whole idea was to make Mr. Allen blend in so his photo wouldn’t stand out,’’ Maloney argued, according to the newspaper. “These procedures were prudent. They were appropriate.’’ Maloney said the mugshot was altered to make Allen’s photo look like the disguises the robber wore, The Oregonian said. The affidavit of Brett Hawkinson, the Portland Police Bureau detective on the robbery case, states that investigators found several items of clothing in Allen’s 1998 Dodge Intrepid that looked similar to items worn by the robber depicted in surveillance footage from the crime scenes. Nowhere does Hawkinson say authorities found makeup or other tools Allen may have used to cover up his facial tattoos. Hawkinson noted the absence of the tattoos when he first looked at Allen’s booking photos and compared them to the surveillance images, his affidavit says. “The robber and Allen looked like the same person, minus the presence of Allen’s facial tattoos,” Hawkinson wrote. Nevertheless, after meeting with Allen in person at the Multnomah County Jail, Hawkinson wrote that he was certain Allen was his suspect. “After having the chance to see Allen in person and interact with him close up, I have no doubt in my mind that he is the same person depicted in the surveillance images as the robbery suspect from the OnPoint Community Credit Union, Wells Fargo Bank, Bank of the West and Advantis Credit Union robberies as described above,” Hawkinson’s affidavit states. Three days after that meeting, on May 20, Hawkinson released images from the bank robberies to the public in an effort to identify the “Foul Mouth Bandit,” who got the name from the language he used while holding up the tellers. Read Allen's motion to suppress the witness identifications below.  Tyrone Lamont Allen Motion to Suppress by National Content Desk on Scribd According to the charges against Allen, he is accused of going to OnPoint Credit Union in Portland the afternoon of April 3, 2017, and approaching a teller. The alleged robber handed the teller a $20 and asked for change, a pattern that later emerged in other robberies, as well. As the teller chatted with the man, the man leaned forward and opened a white plastic shopping bag. “Give me your (expletive) money! I have a gun! I will blow your head off,” the man said, according to court documents. The robber got away with about $6,000 that day. Similar robberies, in which the surveillance footage from each appeared to show the same man, took place the following day at a Wells Fargo branch and on April 7, 2017, an attempted robbery at Bank of the West and a successful robbery at Advantis Credit Union. In total, the man walked away with about $14,000 from the four robberies, court records show. According to Hawkinson’s affidavit, the teller in the first incident noticed tattoos on the robber’s hands. The Wells Fargo teller told detectives the man in that case had faded tattoos on his neck. There is no mention of any tattoos on the robber in either the Bank of the West or Advantis Credit Union heist. In none of the bank or credit union robberies did witnesses see a weapon. During the investigation, Hawkinson spoke with another Portland detective who was working a separate series of armed robberies in north Portland. The suspect in that case, a black man with tattoos, went to a Subway, a Papa Murphy's pizza shop, a Walgreens and a 7-Eleven and robbed each using a semi-automatic pistol. The detective, William Winters, was also investigating the robbery of Sting Tavern in Portland. Winters told Hawkinson the video surveillance from the tavern showed the robber wearing a red sweatshirt similar to the one worn by the man who robbed the Advantis Credit Union. The weight, height and build of each robber was also similar. Winters led Hawkinson to an unnamed informant who came forward and told police about a person he suspected in a series of robberies. That person was Allen. The man, identified only as the 'known person' in court records, told investigators that he met Allen through a mutual friend, who showed him Allen's April 18, 2017, mugshot alongside the robbery surveillance images later broadcast on the TV news. He said both he and the mutual friend suspected it was Allen, who they said had a violent past. 'When asked how he knew the surveillance picture on Channel 12 was Allen, the known person stated he did not know, but then he immediately changed his statement and said he knew it was Allen because it looked just like him except for no tattoos.' Hawkinson wrote that the victim in the OnPoint Community Credit Union robbery was shown a photo lineup including Allen’s photo, but said he did not see the man who robbed him. The same day, the Bank of the West victim picked a different photo from the array, but said she was unsure of her selection. The victim from Advantis Credit Union picked Allen’s photo that same day, as did the Wells Fargo victim the following day, May 3. Ahlemeyer’s motion to suppress the identifications of his client argue that none of the police reports document now the lineups were put together. Nowhere does Hawkinson’s affidavit mention that Allen’s mugshot was altered prior to it being shown to the witnesses. “The novel question in this case is whether the government can materially alter a suspect’s photograph in a way that makes him look more like the perpetrator, then secure an eyewitness identification based on that manipulated photo, and ultimately present that positive identification to a jury,” Ahlemeyer’s motion states. “The court should reject this type of fabricated evidence either as a violation of due process or under the court’s inherent supervisory power to ensure the integrity of the judicial process.” The defense attorney also argues that the identifications were “unconstitutionally suggestive” and, therefore, unreliable. “The Fifth Amendment right to due process bars the introduction of identification evidence where it was procured or tainted by unnecessarily suggestive law enforcement procedures that created a substantial likelihood of misidentification,” the motion states. The Oregonian reported that it was Ahlemeyer who first discovered his client’s mugshot had been altered. Though no police reports referenced the change, Ahlemeyer spotted the anomaly in the photo array after it was handed over as part of the discovery process. Testimony in court last week showed the order to remove the tattoos from Allen’s mugshot came from Hawkinson, an 18-year police veteran assigned to the FBI’s task force on bank heists. It was in that role that he was assigned the case. Hawkinson testified that Allen could have worn makeup during the robberies to mask the tattoos. According to The Oregonian, he said he sought to rule Allen in or out as the suspect and to determine if people who contacted investigators with information were credible. Read the criminal complaint against Tyrone Allen below. Warning: The document contains graphic language.  Tyrone Lamont Allen Criminal Complaint by National Content Desk on Scribd Hawkinson also testified that the victims were shown the photos in a double-blind lineup -- a lineup in which an officer unaware of who the suspect might be shows the photos to a witness one at a time. The technique is a way to help ensure a lack of suggestibility on the part of investigators. The double-blind lineup is one of a number of reforms the Innocence Project has endorsed to help improve eyewitness accuracy. Oregon is one of 24 states that have implemented those reforms. Finding ways for the suspect to not stand out from the “fillers,” or the people whose photos are shown alongside that the of the suspect, is another. Prosecutor Maloney argued last week that the tattoos were removed from Allen’s photo for that purpose. The Oregonian reported that Justice Department rules adopted in January 2017, just a few months before Allen’s arrest, suggest finding “filler” photos of people with attributes similar to those of the suspect. If the unique attribute cannot be replicated, investigators should black out the attribute and put similar black marks on the filler photos. On cross-examination, Hawkinson admitted that altering a suspect’s photo is not part of the bureau’s protocol, but said it is “standard practice among investigators,” the newspaper reported. “The purpose of any alteration is not to change the physical attributes but to mask things that would stand out,” Hawkinson said. “You don’t consider tattoos to be physical attributes?’’ Ahlemeyer asked. Weber, the forensic criminalist, told the court he did not write a report about the alterations he made to the photo because it wasn’t part of the bureau’s operating procedures. He admitted that he’s changed suspects’ photos in connection with past investigations. “It is hard to fathom any photo array conduct that is more ‘suggestive’ than altering a source photograph for the sole purpose of making the investigation target look more like the perpetrator,” Allen’s attorney told the court. U.S. District Judge Marco A. Hernandez told parties in the case he would issue his written ruling soon, The Oregonian reported.
  • An airport security screener was fired after handing a traveler a note with a rude message scrawled on it. >> Read more trending news  Neal Strassner was going through the Greater Rochester International Airport when the security guard handed him a torn piece of paper with the words “you ugly” written on it. 'I got handed something. I really didn't look at the thing, I kept going,” Strassner told WHAM. 'She called back to me a few times, asked me if I was going to read the note or open it or something. I look at it, look at her and kind of shrug my shoulders ... and she laughed.' The incident took place in late June. Strassner waited more than a month for the video after filing a Freedom of Information request for it, WROC reported.  The employee works for VMD Corp. a security company based in Virginia, contracted through the TSA. VMD did not comment. TSA confirmed the employee was fired, WROC reported.  “TSA holds contractors to the highest ethical standards and has zero tolerance for this type of behavior,” the agency said in a statement. “This instance, which involved a contract employee, was investigated immediately upon receiving the complaint by the traveler. The employee has since been terminated by the contractor.” Strassner was not bothered by the note, but he did notice at the end of the video the woman appears to write another one.  “I’m really curious what the other notes said,” Strassner told WROC. “I travel a lot, and the airport normally is spectacular. This was a totally weird event that they (VMD Corp.) seemed to handle properly. I travel a lot and just want to make sure they get some credit to their organization and don’t let one lady trash their whole reputation.”
  • Police asked for the public's help Tuesday identifying a suspect wanted after a retired administrator was stabbed to death Monday on a college campus in Southern California. >> Read more trending news  Authorities said they found the victim, identified as Steven Shek Keung Chan, 57, with several stab wounds in a parking lot on the California State University, Fullerton, campus just before 8:30 a.m. Monday. Police said he was pronounced dead at the scene. Investigators asked for help locating the suspect, described as an Asian man with black hair in his mid-20s. Police said he wore a black windbreaker and black pants at the time of the attack. Update 12:55 p.m. EDT Aug. 20: Police released a sketch Tuesday of the man suspected of stabbing 57-year-old Steven Shek Keung Chan to death one day earlier in a parking lot at Cal State Fullerton. Authorities said the man was last seen running northbound on Langsdorf Drive and then eastbound on Nutwood Avenue. Police believe he might have been injured in the attack and might have lacerations to one or both of his hands. Police said officers recovered a backpack which they believe belonged to the suspect during their investigation. It was found under Chen's vehicle and contained 'an incendiary device along with numerous items that were consistent with a kidnapping attempt or plot, including zip ties, wigs and other disguise materials,' police said. The bag also contained a knife separate from the one used in Monday's attack, according to authorities. Police believe Chan, who recently returned to the school as a special consultant after retiring as an administrator in 2017, was specifically targeted in the attack, according to authorities and the Los Angeles Times. Police continue to investigate. Original report: Authorities are searching for a suspect after a retired administrator was stabbed and killed Monday on a Southern California college campus. According to the Los Angeles Times, authorities said Steven Shek Keung Chan, 57, of Hacienda Heights, had several stab wounds when police found him in his car, which was parked in a lot on California State University's Fullerton campus, about 8:30 a.m. Monday. Police also discovered an 'incendiary device,' which did not go off, nearby, the newspaper reported. Police believe the assailant specifically targeted Chan, who recently returned as a special consultant after retiring as director of budget and finance and student services for extended education in 2017, the Times reported. In a tweet, university police described the suspect, who reportedly fled the scene and was still on the run late Monday, as an Asian man in his mid-20s with black hair. He was wearing black pants and a black shirt, authorities said. No further information was immediately available. In a letter to students, faculty and staff, university President Framroze Virjee called the attack 'tragic and senseless.' 'As the investigation into Steven’s death is ongoing, we are unable to provide information beyond what the Fullerton Police share publicly,' the letter read. 'What I can do, however, is join all of you in adding to the tremendous outreach of love and support that has already embraced our Titan Family during this tragic and difficult time. That begins with pausing in thought and prayer for Steven, his family, and all Titans who are grieving and grappling with the reality of such an unspeakable act and tragic loss in our community.' >> Read the full letter here Read more here.
  • A North Carolina man is accused of strangling his 15-year-old daughter before slitting her throat during a weekend visit at his home, sheriff’s deputies said. Joshua Lee Burgess, 32, of Monroe, is charged with first-degree murder in the death of Zaria Joshalyn Burgess. Zaria was visiting her father when she was slain. Union County Jail records show Burgess is also facing one count each of statutory rape of a person 15 years old or younger, first-degree statutory sexual offense, first-degree kidnapping and first-degree sexual exploitation of a minor. “The details of this murder are indescribable,” Union County Sheriff Eddie Cathey told WSOC in Charlotte. “Every officer and detective involved in this case is feeling the effects of what happened to this child. There is no logical answer to explain why this man did what he is accused of doing. Our hearts and prayers are with Zaria’s mom and her family.” Union County Sheriff’s Office officials said in a news release that Burgess walked into the agency’s lobby just before 9:30 a.m. Sunday and told a dispatcher he was there to turn himself in. The dispatcher began searching for warrants in Burgess’ name. “He stopped her. He said, ‘You’re not going to find my name. I just killed someone,’” Tony Underwood, chief communications officer for the Union County Sheriff’s Office, told WSOC. “At that point, the red flags started to go off.” After Burgess gave details of the killing and told them where to find Zaria’s body, deputies went to Burgess’ home at 5102 Hampton Meadows Road, near Wesley Chapel. Inside, they found the slain teen, authorities said. A reporter with WSOC was in the courtroom Monday for Burgess’ first court appearance, where authorities offered gruesome details of the girl’s death, including how her father reportedly killed her. Reporter Tina Terry said there was a “collective gasp” when the details were revealed, according to the news station. “It’s just pure evil,” Underwood said. Cathey on Tuesday told the news station the medical examiner found that Zaria died of a “sharp force injury to the neck.” No motive for the slaying was given. Burgess' Facebook page is filled with photos of his daughter, who he called his “mini-me.” “I love this little angel more than anything. Nothing beats quality time with my daughter,” he wrote on a post from 2015. >> Read more trending news  Zaria’s cousin, Dytaysha Wadsworth, told WSOC the victim was a sweet girl who loved her family. She was about to start her freshman year at Monroe High School. “She was just the type of kid that would come in a room or come in a house and say, ‘Hey everybody’ -- just wanting to make everybody smile,” Wadsworth said. “She was so young, and nobody deserves to leave this world like that, especially by someone they thought was gonna protect them and be there for them.” Burgess is being held without bond in the Union County Jail.

Washington Insider

  • With the Prime Minister of Denmark making it clear that she was not interested in selling Greenland to the United States, labeling the idea 'absurd,' President Donald Trump said Tuesday night that he would cancel his scheduled visit to the NATO ally in early September. 'Denmark is a very special country with incredible people, but based on Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen’s comments, that she would have no interest in discussing the purchase of Greenland, I will be postponing our meeting,' the President tweeted on Tuesday evening. In interviews this week, Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen had made clear that Greenland was not for sale, even as she welcomed the idea of closer relations between Denmark and the United States. But that wasn't enough for President Trump. On Sunday, President Trump had downplayed the issue as he returned to the White House. 'It’s not number one on the burner, I can tell you that,' the President told reporters when asked about the idea of buying Greenland. The decision obviously came as a surprise to U.S. diplomats in Denmark, as the U.S. Ambassador had put out a tweet a few hours earlier about the President's scheduled state visit. The President and First Lady had been invited by the Queen of Denmark earlier this summer for a two day state visit. Democrats mocked the President for canceling his stop in Denmark. “Embarrassing,” said Rep. Jackie Speier (D-CA). 'What a shame when Greenland could be covered with sand traps, water holes and lots of beautiful putting greens,' said Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-VA), referring to the President's golfing.