On Air Now

Listen Now

Weather

cloudy-day
82°
Mostly Cloudy
H 84° L 68°
  • cloudy-day
    82°
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Cloudy. H 84° L 68°
  • cloudy-day
    69°
    Morning
    Mostly Cloudy. H 84° L 68°
  • cloudy-day
    79°
    Afternoon
    Cloudy. H 81° L 73°
Listen
Pause
Error

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National
Dayton, Ohio, shooting: 17 people injured by gunshots in mass shooting
Close

Dayton, Ohio, shooting: 17 people injured by gunshots in mass shooting

Dayton, Ohio, shooting: 17 people injured by gunshots in mass shooting
Photo Credit: AP Photo/John Minchillo, File
This Aug. 4, 2019 file photo shows shoes piled outside the scene of a mass shooting around Ned Peppers bar that killed multiple people in Dayton, Ohio.

Dayton, Ohio, shooting: 17 people injured by gunshots in mass shooting

Authorities in Ohio said Tuesday that 17 people were injured by gunshots in a mass shooting that killed nine people in Dayton's Oregon District early Sunday morning.

>> Read more trending news 

Dayton Police Chief Richard Biehl reported the three additional injuries at a news conference Tuesday.

The injuries bring the total up from 14 to 17 people who were treated for gunshot wounds.

Biehl also provided an updated timeline to the shooting, saying that gunman was at Blind Bob’s and then went to Ned Peppers for roughly half an hour before returning to his car.

The shooter was behind Newcom’s and Heart Mercantile for roughly 10 minutes before he went down an alley beside Blind Bob’s and open fire.

Police showed surveillance video from various sources in the Oregon District that showed the gunman’s movement in the time leading up to the shooting.

The shooter is seen walking back to his car around 12:45 a.m. and then returning to the Oregon District in a dark hoodie and with a backpack.

Video showed people on the patio at Blind Bob’s ducking for cover as the gunman walked through the alley beside the patio and started shooting.

Another video showed the Dayton police officers as they first engaged the gunman.

Police believe the shooting lasted 32 seconds, with officers engaging the gunman about halfway through those seconds.

Beihl said that it was clear the gunman was familiar with the area and that the shooting had been previously planned. However, there are no indications that anyone was assisting him.

He added that the gunman was aware of where his sister was because they had been communicating in the time they were apart. Biehl also said he doesn't think any interactions at Blind Bob's or Ned Peppers caused the shooter to return to his car and get his gun.
It is still not clear if he knew he had shot his sister.
The gunman was also in the Oregon District the night before the shooting, but police are still working to determine how far in advance that he starting planning the shooting.
The way the shooter was wearing body armor was not the most protective, according to Biehl, and left him vulnerable to police's response.

Fourteen law enforcement agencies responded to the shooting, according to Dayton City Manager Shelley Dickstein.

The agencies consisted of federal, state and county first responders and they assisted with CPR, tourniquets and treating victims of the shooting.

Dickstein said that outside of Dayton police officers who responded to the scene, there were hundreds of other first responders who provided support.

Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley asked everyone to keep the victims’ families in their hearts as the families continue to mourn their loved ones.

She also said that support for the Dayton Foundation tragedy fund continues to be strong.

The Oregon District mass shooting left nine people dead.

The Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.

Read More

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • The U.S. and Turkey agreed Thursday to a five-day ceasefire in Syria, Vice President Mike Pence announced at a news conference in Turkey. >> Read more trending news  Pence said military operations will be paused for 120 hours on the border between Turkey and Syria to give U.S.-allied Syrian Kurds time to withdraw from the area. 'The Turkish side will pause Operation Peace Spring in order to allow for the withdrawal of YPG forces from the safe zone for 120 hours,' Pence said. 'All military operations under Operation Peace Spring will be paused, and Operation Peace Spring will be halted entirely on completion of the withdrawal.' The announcement came after a high-level delegation, including Pence and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, met with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Ankara. Trump praised the announcement Thursday while speaking with reporters in Forth Worth, Texas. He credited his threat of sanctions on Turkey as 'tough love' that led to the ceasefire. 'This is an incredible outcome,' Trump said. 'It's a great day for the United States. It's a great day for Turkey.' Erdogan announced Turkey launched a military operation in northern Syria last week, days after Trump pulled U.S. troops out of the region. Trump disavowed the decision in statement, saying he 'made it clear to Turkey that this operation is a bad idea.' The Associated Press reported the agreement, 'essentially gives the Turks what they had sought to achieve with their military operation in the first place.' Kurdish forces were not party to the agreement, and it was not immediately clear whether they would comply. Ankara has long argued the Kurdish fighters are nothing more than an extension of the Kurdistan Workers Party, or PKK, which has waged a guerrilla campaign inside Turkey since the 1980s and which Turkey, as well as the U.S. and European Union, designate as a terrorist organization. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • The next Group of Seven summit will be held in June at Trump National Doral Miami, one of President Donald Trump's golf resorts in Florida, acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney announced Thursday. >> Read more trending news  Mulvaney said officials considered about a dozen different locations for the meeting, which will be held June 10-12. 'Doral was far and away the best physical facility for this meeting,' Mulvaney said, adding that a site selection official told him, 'It's almost like they built this facility to host this type of event.' The site was chosen despite ongoing investigations into whether Trump has used his office for personal gain. Mulvaney said Thursday that he was unconcerned by the appearance of a conflict of interest. He told reporters Doral was chosen partially because the site was dramatically cheaper than others officials considered. 'There's no issue here on him profiting from this in any way, shape or form,' Mulvaney said. Trump has touted his resort, saying it's close to the airport, has plenty of hotel rooms and offers separate buildings for every delegation. When the United States has hosted the summit before, it has been held in Puerto Rico; Williamsburg, Virginia; Houston; Denver; Sea Island, Georgia; and Camp David, the presidential retreat in Maryland. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • Tropical storm warnings are in place along the Florida Panhandle for a tropical system that doesn’t even have a name yet. Potential Tropical Cyclone 16 is currently off the coast of Mexico in the southwest Gulf of Mexico.  In recent days, meteorologists at the National Hurricane Center have increased the storm’s chances of tropical development to 90-percent as of the NHC’s latest advisory. The storm is not expected to reach hurricane strength, but it is forecast to make landfall this weekend over the Panhandle as Tropical Storm Nestor. News 96.5 WDBO spoke to the National Weather Service office in Melbourne about what impacts Central Florida could see from the storm.  Meteorologist Scott Kelly says it could impact your weekend plans. “It looks like it will mainly be a rain producer for us with some embedded strong thunderstorms.  We’re not expecting a lot of strong winds with it, although there could be some strong winds with the thunderstorms that come through early on this weekend,” said Kelly. 
  • Authorities in Mississippi on Thursday announced a pair of toddlers reported missing one day earlier had been found safe. >> Read more trending news  The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation issued an Amber Alert on Wednesday after Dior Wade, 3, and Zarie Wade, 1, vanished from Copiah County. Update 12:15 p.m. EDT Oct. 17: Police canceled an Amber Alert issued for Dior Wade, 3, and Zarie Wade, 1, on Thursday after the toddlers were found safe. Authorities did not immediately provide more details about the circumstances surrounding their recovery on Thursday. Original report: Authorities in Mississippi are searching for two missing children. According to an Amber Alert, Dior Wade, 3, was last seen in Copiah County. She is 3 feet tall with brown eyes and brown hair, authorities said. She was wearing a black shirt, leopard-print pants and black boots, the alert said. Zarie Wade, 1, is also missing, according to authorities. He is 3 feet tall with brown eyes and brown hair with twists. Zarie was last seen wearing camo pants, a turquoise shirt and brown shoes, the Amber Alert said. Dior and Zarie were last seen around 4:39 p.m. Wednesday, authorities said. Investigators believe they could be traveling north toward Hinds County. They are accompanied by Teanna Dixon, 28, and Derek Young, 29, the alert said. They were driving at 2016 silver Lincoln MKZ with Georgia license plate RTI 3239, authorities said. The Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.

Washington Insider

  • Brushing aside questions about the ethics of hosting the G-7 summit at one of President Donald Trump's own  golf properties, the White House announced Thursday that the 2020 meeting of the G-7 will take place at the President's Doral resort in Miami, Florida. “Doral was by far and away - far and away - the best physical facility for this meeting,” said Acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney. Pressed repeatedly by reporters in a rare Q&A in the White House Briefing Room, Mulvaney gave the back of the hand to any ethical concerns. Democrats in Congress said the decision just screamed self-dealing by the President. “This is corruption in the open,” said Rep. Ted Lieu (D-CA). “Corruption in plain sight is still corruption,” said Rep. Seth Moulton (D-MA). “Unbelievably brazen. Taxpayer and foreign money funneled right to his own club as a result of a decision he is making as President,” tweeted Rep. Gregory Meeks (D-NY). “This is just open corruption,” said Rep. Ruben Gallego (D-AZ). “Congress should block any taxpayer money from going to G7 while it's at Trump's resort,” said Rep. Tim Ryan (D-OH). “This is a textbook case of unconstitutional conduct,” said Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-MD). “By holding G7 summit at his own resort, the President is using his office to enrich himself,” said Rep. Stephanie Murphy (D-FL). “This is corruption, plain and simple,” said Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), who is running for President. Outside ethics watchdog groups chimed in immediately. “By treating the G7 summit like a commercial for his businesses, inviting foreign governments to line his pockets and hold their next meeting at his Doral, FL golf course next year, he mocks the Constitution he swore to uphold,” said Constitutional Accountability Center President Elizabeth Wydra.