ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

clear-night
77°
Sct Thunderstorms
H 92° L 76°
  • clear-night
    77°
    Current Conditions
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 92° L 76°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    89°
    Afternoon
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 92° L 76°
  • cloudy-day
    85°
    Evening
    Partly Cloudy. H 92° L 76°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National
Boy loses hand, suffers burns after 2 men toss lit firework at him, family says
Close

Boy loses hand, suffers burns after 2 men toss lit firework at him, family says

Boy loses hand, suffers burns after 2 men toss lit firework at him, family says
Photo Credit: picture alliance via Getty Images
A dummy is used to demonstrate the explosive effect of fireworks in a 2015 photo taken in Hamburg, Germany. A California 10-year-old lost a hand on July 6, 2019, his 10th birthday, after two adult neighbors allegedly tossed a lit firework at him.

Boy loses hand, suffers burns after 2 men toss lit firework at him, family says

Aaron Carreto was enjoying his 10th birthday, playing outside his Compton home on July 6 when two neighbors tossed a lit, homemade firework at him, his family said.

The boy reflexively grabbed the illegal firework, which exploded in his left hand, destroying four fingers and most of his palm, the Los Angeles Times reported. Aaron also lost a finger on his right hand and suffered burns on both hands, his face and his torso.

One of the neighbors, Walter David Revolorio, 27, was arrested and charged with felony child cruelty and possession of a destructive device, the Times reported.

The investigation is ongoing, but no charges had been filed against a second neighbor as of Monday. Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department officials had no immediate comment on the status of the investigation.

Aaron told Fox 11 in Los Angeles he was playing outside in his neighborhood when he walked over to the neighbors to say hello. At one point, the men called out his name.

“They said my name, and then I turned and my hand flipped over, so that’s when they handed the firework to me,” Aaron said. “I was about to throw it and it exploded in my hand.”

The explosion was so great, it rocked nearby cars, Fox 11 reported.

>> Read more trending news

The Times reported that Aaron was immediately taken to Long Beach Memorial Medical Center, where he underwent a series of emergency surgeries. Doctors at UC Irvine Medical Center attached his left arm to his stomach to hopefully preserve nerve and skin tissue they can use to reconstruct his hand.

Aaron’s older sister, Adriana Carreto, said doctors also reattached the finger her brother lost on his right hand.

Carreto wrote on a GoFundMe page set up to help with Aaron’s medical expenses that he has a long recovery ahead, including at least two additional surgeries. Photos and video of the boy on the fundraising page, as well as on social media, show him with burns on his face and his left arm hidden under a hospital gown.

Pain is etched on the boy’s face.

“This incident changed his life, (his) way of living, but not his spirits,” Carreto wrote. “Everyone knows him as a social butterfly, always friendly to his teammates on the soccer team. He’s very caring and aware of other people’s needs.”

Carreto wrote that her brother loves riding his bike with neighborhood friends and playing the popular online video game "Fortnite" with classmates over their summer break.

“Now with his new disability, he’ll find it difficult to adjust to his day to day lifestyle,” Carreto wrote.

As of Monday afternoon, donors had raised more than $47,000 of the page's $50,000 goal to help Aaron and his family.

Carreto said along with the physical pain her brother is in, he is also psychologically scarred.

“He tells his family how he feels betrayed by those people around us and wants to start a new life far away from where he grew up,” Carreto wrote on the GoFundMe page.

As of Monday, Aaron had been released from the hospital to continue his recovery at home.

“I been reading all the positive and kind words to Aaron from his donors and he said he appreciates all the help and support,” Carreto wrote. “He said he feels happy with each and every one of you guys.”

The distraught sister told ABC 7 she, however, is angry.

“I’m angry because those two guys are adults and one of them has kids,” Carreto told the news station. “I’m pretty sure if it was his kid, he wouldn’t have let that happen.”

Aaron told KTLA he wants to see both men punished for what they did to him.

“Those guys who did this, I don’t want to see them no more,” Aaron told the news station. “I just wish that they could be in jail.”

Revolorio remained Monday at the Los Angeles County Jail, where records show he is being held in lieu of $630,000 bond.

The second neighbor accused in the incident has not been publicly identified.

Close

Boy loses hand, suffers burns after 2 men toss lit firework at him, family says

Read More

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • A trio of local lawmakers successfully worked to double the amount of money the City of Orlando will receive in anti-terrorism funding from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Central Florida Representative Stephanie Murphy, Val Demmings, and Darren Soto secured $3.25 million after they convinced DHS to revise its allocation formula to consider factors like daily visitors, high-profile events and so called ‘soft targets’ like theme parks. “Orlando is one of our nation’s most popular destinations and home to a vibrant community that has endured tragedy and loss. Residents and visitors alike should know the federal government is providing the support needed to protect them from terrorist threats,” Rep. Murphy said in a press release. The money will be allocated by by the Urban Area Work Group, which is headed by Orange County Sheriff's Office. It’s part of $590 million in funding granted to 31 cities across the nation, including Orlando, Tampa and Miami.  The money can be used to purchase homeland security equipment, conduct training exercises, train and pay first responders, and enhance security in order to protect high-profile locations like stadiums, public transit, and theme parks. The city received $1.5 million last year but received zero dollars from fiscal years 2015 through 2017.  “Our ongoing advocacy efforts to increase federal resources have paid off as we continue improving security against terrorism in our Central Florida region,” said Soto. “Orlando metro has faced multiple threats in the past years, adding alarming risks to the safety and well-being of our community. More than 75 million people visited Orlando in 2018 and recently the Orlando International Airport was named the busiest in the state.  The city has also been the target of an attack at the Pulse Nightclub in 2016, where 49 people were killed. “I am grateful that Central Florida is receiving the funding we need to ensure that our communities remain safe places to live, work, worship, and visit,” said Demings. “Security is our top priority, and with these grants, the federal government is doing its part to help ensure we remain ahead of those seeking to do harm.”In addition, because Orlando is receiving  Urban Area Security Initiative funding, non-profit organizations in the city are eligible for Nonprofit Security Grants from DHS. Three non-profit organizations that predominantly serve the Jewish community in Orlando applied for, and received, a total of $270,000.
  • The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is asking for your help as they face an unknown condition threatening our big cats. The disorder has, so far, seemed to affect Florida panthers and bobcats. The abnormality causes the cats to stumble, seemingly unable to coordinate their back legs. The FWC writes: As of August 2019, the FWC has confirmed neurological damage in one panther and one bobcat. Additionally, trail camera footage has captured eight panthers (mostly kittens) and one adult bobcat displaying varying degrees of this condition. Videos of affected cats were collected from multiple locations in Collier, Lee and Sarasota counties, and at least one panther photographed in Charlotte County could also have been affected.” They are testing for toxins, including rat pesticide, as well as infectious diseases and nutritional deficiencies. The organization is also asking the public for video, if they have it, of stumbling big cats and to submit those videos to the FWC. Mobile users see video here. The more footage they have, the better their investigation, which quickly needs solved. Florida panthers are an endangered species in the state. Biologists estimate there are about 200 left in the wild. Mobile users see Instagram post here.
  • Mark your calendars and grab your sunglasses, the Florida Strawberry Festival has announced its new theme for the 85th annual event in 2020 — 'Our Perfect Vision! A new theme is created for the festival each year, and this year the marketing geniuses played up the year 2020 and the Festivals “Perfect Vision” for fun. Mr. Berry is sporting a FSF fedora and sunglasses with 2020 on the lenses. The iconic mascot is also carrying a plate of strawberry shortcake. Each year, more than 500,000 people enjoy the 11-day community event which celebrates the strawberry harvest of Eastern Hillsborough County. The festival features headline entertainment, youth livestock shows, exhibits of commerce and, of course, its strawberry shortcake. The 2020 Florida Strawberry Festival is set for February 27 - March 8 in Plant City. For more information, visit www.flstrawberryfestival.com. 
  • The Highlands County Sheriff’s Office shared what they call a “sensitive” arrest on their Facebook page writing, “You could even say it’s kinda nuts.” Deputies responded to a 911 hang-up call at a Sebring home Sunday, to discover Gary Van Ryswyk had just performed a castration on another man he met on the dark web at a sight for people with a castration fetish. Deputies found the victim on the bed with a towel over his groin, which was bleeding heavily. Nearby, there was a pink container which held two body parts that deputies say,  “had recently been much closer to the victim.” The Sheriff said in the Facebook post that “Van Ryswyk had dropped the ball on this one.” The victim was taken to the hospital and was later flown to a regional medical center where  he is listed in stable condition. Van Ryswyk admitted to investigators that he told the victim he had experience performing the procedure on animals and had even removed one of his own testicles in 2012. Deputies say Van Ryswyk had planned to operate on the victim a week earlier, but had to delay it after trying to sanitize the area. He also said he had done a similar procedure on a man in a local motel a few years ago, which also did not turn out well. Van Ryswky could not remember the name of that victim, who he said also went to the hospital, but law enforcement was not notified. The 74-year-old was arrested Monday and charged with practicing medicine without a license resulting in bodily injury, a second-degree felony. His bond was set at $250,000. Anyone who has information about Van Ryswyk is asked to call Det. Roger St. Laurent at 863-402-7250 or email detectives@highlandssheriff.com. Tips can also be left anonymously on the Highlands County Sheriff’s Office app or through Heartland Crime Stoppers at 1-800-226-TIPS or www.heartlandcrimestoppers.com.
  • When Stephanie Oyen donned a blue blazer and glasses, she knew she looked like Massachusetts senator and 2020 Democrat Elizabeth Warren. She hoped to draw a few smiles with the outfit but never expected the attention that would end up drowning her. “I thought it would get some giggles,” Oyen told the Star Tribune. “Then people started yelling, ‘Senator Warren!’ People were clapping and running up to me to take photos. I kept saying ‘I’m not her!’ but I looked up and hundreds of people were staring at me.” The attention got to be so much, she ended up taking off the spectacles and sweater, just so she could have a break. “It got weird very fast,' she explained. 'I talk with my hands and shake my head, which only made me look more like Elizabeth Warren. I was saying ‘I’m not her!’ but I could have been saying ‘Medicare for all!’ ” “I’m not a prankster,” she continued, “I really thought people would know, but then they started running up and saying ‘You’re my hero!’ and taking photos. I felt so bad.” But it all peaked when Oyen came face to face with Senator Warren. Warren reportedly told her “We need to talk!” as she pointed to Oyen's outfit. Mobile users see tweet here. “I couldn’t tell if she recognized I was dressed like her or if she thought, ‘Here’s a weird lady dressed like a stereotypical politician,’ ” Oyen laughed. The Massachusetss candidate later tweeted a photo of the two together, writing, it 'would've been even better if she'd brought her own Bailey,' aka Warren's golden retriever and campaign companion.

Washington Insider

  • With the Prime Minister of Denmark making it clear that she was not interested in selling Greenland to the United States, labeling the idea 'absurd,' President Donald Trump said Tuesday night that he would cancel his scheduled visit to the NATO ally in early September. 'Denmark is a very special country with incredible people, but based on Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen’s comments, that she would have no interest in discussing the purchase of Greenland, I will be postponing our meeting,' the President tweeted on Tuesday evening. In interviews this week, Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen had made clear that Greenland was not for sale, even as she welcomed the idea of closer relations between Denmark and the United States. But that wasn't enough for President Trump. On Sunday, President Trump had downplayed the issue as he returned to the White House. 'It’s not number one on the burner, I can tell you that,' the President told reporters when asked about the idea of buying Greenland. The decision obviously came as a surprise to U.S. diplomats in Denmark, as the U.S. Ambassador had put out a tweet a few hours earlier about the President's scheduled state visit. The President and First Lady had been invited by the Queen of Denmark earlier this summer for a two day state visit. Democrats mocked the President for canceling his stop in Denmark. “Embarrassing,” said Rep. Jackie Speier (D-CA). 'What a shame when Greenland could be covered with sand traps, water holes and lots of beautiful putting greens,' said Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-VA), referring to the President's golfing.