On Air Now

Listen Now

Weather

cloudy-day
81°
Sct Thunderstorms
H 88° L 75°
  • cloudy-day
    81°
    Current Conditions
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 88° L 75°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    83°
    Evening
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 88° L 75°
  • cloudy-day
    76°
    Morning
    Partly Cloudy. H 90° L 69°
Listen
Pause
Error

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National
Alabama man kills plumber working at home, claims no memory of shooting
Close

Alabama man kills plumber working at home, claims no memory of shooting

Man kills plumber working at home, claims no memory of shooting

Alabama man kills plumber working at home, claims no memory of shooting

An Alabama man shot and killed a plumber working at his home over the weekend and told authorities he had no memory of committing the crime.

Orva Kyle McDonald Jr., 61, of Gadsden, was charged Saturday with murder in the death of Douglas Dewayne Sparks, 49, of Anniston, Etowah County Sheriff’s Office records showAccording to WBRC in Birmingham, McDonald is being held in lieu of $1 million bond.

>> Read more trending news 

A judge ordered that McDonald be subjected to a psychological evaluation before being released on bond, the news station reported.

AL.com reported that Etowah County sheriff’s deputies were called to McDonald’s home around 7:20 p.m. Saturday for reports of a shooting. They found Sparks lying dead in the side yard.

McDonald and his wife were the only people at the home with Sparks at the time of the killing.

Sparks’ coworkers at First Action Plumbing Services in Anniston addressed his death Sunday on Facebook.

“All of us at First Action Plumbing are saddened and shocked at the untimely, unfortunate and senseless death of our employee, co-worker and friend Doug Sparks,” the statement read. “The details of what took place last night are still very unclear. Please join us in support and prayer for his wife, children, family and friends.”

Sparks’ widow, Diana Sparks, wrote on social media that he was and always will be the love of her life.

“He had a big heart and loved everyone, especially his family,” she wrote. “I love you always and forever.”

Diana Sparks shared a private message her husband sent her on their January anniversary, in which he thanked her for a wonderful life together and said she would always be his greatest love.

“I love you so much, hope you have a great anniversary,” Doug Sparks wrote. “In my eyes, you will always be the best wife ever.”

He ended the note by saying she made him the “happiest person in the world.”

Sparks is survived by his wife, five children, his parents, a brother, and several grandchildren, according to his obituary.

“He was a loving husband, father, brother, uncle and friend that would do anything for his family and friends and will be greatly missed,” the obituary read.

Detectives learned that the McDonalds had hired Sparks to repair a clogged sink a week before the shooting, AL.com said. McDonald, who did not know Sparks prior to that job, then hired him to replace the plumbing at the house, authorities said.

Sparks had been working on that job most of the day Saturday and the McDonalds even fed the man, Etowah County Sheriff Jonathon Horton said.

“Shortly after arriving home, which was just, you know, within an hour of the incident occurring, (McDonald) had fixed the gentleman a sandwich,” Horton told WBRC. “And he appears to have been eating that sandwich at the time of the shooting.”

McDonald, who has no criminal record, told investigators he does not remember the shooting or what may have preceded it, Horton told AL.com.

McDonald’s wife was on the front porch of the home when she heard gunshots. She did not see the killing, the news site reported.

“It’s a mystery,” Horton said.

Investigators have seized home surveillance footage, hoping it will shed light on what took place.

McDonald remained jailed Thursday morning.

Read More

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • News 96.5 WDBO’s sister station Star 94.5 is hosting a special health fair this weekend in Kissimmee. The 17th annual Tom Joyner’s Take a Loved One to the Doctor Day is Saturday at the Kissimmee Civic Center. News 96.5 WDBO spoke with Star’s news and community affairs director Monica May about the event. “We’re bringing in free screenings for the simple things, blood pressure, glucose and BMI, but those are things that people don’t always check and those are things that lead to high cholesterol.  They can lead to heart disease,” said May. “We also have screenings for vision and dental.  We’ll be giving flu shots that day, prostate exams and mammograms,” said May. For more information on the event click HERE.
  • A road construction worker was killed and three others were hurt after being hit by a suspected drunken driver near Concord Mills Mall in North Carolina early Saturday, police said. >> Read more trending news  Danyel Middleton was charged with felony death by a motor vehicle, and police said she could face more charges. She spent her 22nd birthday in jail and will face a judge Monday. Socorro Martinez, 50, was confirmed dead at the scene. The three other victims were taken to a nearby hospital. Two were being treated for serious injuries, and the third was treated and released from the hospital. The crash happened around 1:45 a.m. on Concord Mills Boulevard near Entry A to Concord Mills Mall. Police said the four crewmen were working on road improvements when Middleton plowed into them. According to authorities, the crew had appropriate signs and lighting indicating the work zone. 'They're just trying to make a living, and they can't come to work and be safe,' a Concord community member told WSOC's DaShawn Brown.  Officials said the four who were struck were workers with Cruz Brothers Concrete. The company, based near Burlington, North Carolina, is said to have over 75 years of experience and family-owned.  For community members, news of the crash was unsettling enough, but even more so close to home.  'You know, sometimes if I want to go out and drive at night, it makes me a lot more nervous knowing something like this could've happened,' Nate Seedorf said. 'Not only is the driver going to live with that for the rest of her life, but the family of the victims are also going to be dealing with this forever,' another community member told WSOC-TV. Middleton is being held at the Cabarrus County Jail with bail set at $1 million.
  • The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) charged two men with what they call “ the state’s largest seizure of turtles in recent history.” Officers say a tip back in February 2018 started the investigation into what they call a turtle trafficking ring that involved thousands of animals and thousands of dollars.  On October 18 wildlife officers arrested Michael Boesenberg, 39, and Michael Clemons, 23, both of Fort Myers, Fl. and charged them with poaching and selling the turtles on the black market.  Most went to large-scale reptile dealers and illegal distributors, who would then ship them overseas on the black market with a majority of the animals ending up in Asia,  according to a press release. The turtles would fetch between $300 and $10,000 dollars each. Officers estimate one month of turtles would net approximately $60,000. The FWC documented more than 4,000 turtles illegally taken and sold over a 6-month period in the release,  including Florida box turtles, Eastern box turtles, striped mud turtles, Florida mud turtles, chicken turtles, Florida softshell turtles, Gulf Coast spiny softshell turtles, spotted turtles and diamondback terrapins. When investigators arrived with a search warrant they say they found the poachers in possession of hundreds of turtles, along with the skull and shell of a protected Kemp’s Ridley sea turtle.  Biologists evaluated all of the animals for health and species identification and were able to return more than 600 of them back into the wild.
  • Friday was a tough night for residents in Polk County where a EF-2 tornado touched down causing damage to homes and churches and left thousands without power.  But it was especially hard for the Pelham family who told Bay News 9 they had only moments to get into a closet before the tornado struck.  After the storm passed, they discovered their pitbull, Tuffy, and his dog house were gone.  The family told reporters they immediately began searching the area and discovered the dog house 100 yards away. It was severely damaged.  Still, there were no signs of their big dog.  Miraculously, 18-hours after the search began a neighbor found the pooch hiding in a ditch about a half-mile away.  He was scared but otherwise seemed to be OK.  Tuffy’s reunion was shared on twitter by reporter Trevor Pettiford Sunday.  One person commented, “They don’t call him Tuffy for nothin!” App users click here to see the video.   
  • One of Texas' largest cities is reeling after a tornado swept through north Dallas on Sunday night, officials said. >> Read more trending news  According to KDFW-TV, the twister struck about 9 p.m. CDT near Dallas Love Field Airport, then headed east, damaging homes and businesses while initially knocking out power to more than 100,000 people in the region. As of early Monday, no deaths or serious injuries had been reported, the city of Dallas said in a news release; however, emergency officials told The Associated Press that they received reports of people cut by glass shards. Crews also were trying to determine whether any victims were trapped inside a collapsed structure after seven people safely fled the building, the AP reported.  WFAA-TV reported that the storm destroyed Dallas Stars hockey player Tyler Seguin's mansion. Seguin appeared to confirm the news on Twitter but assured fans that he was OK. 'Thanks to everyone reaching out about the news tonight, I am safe,' he tweeted. 'Luckily this is my house for sale and I have moved into a new one. I just left the area and it is an extremely sad sight to see. Prayers to everyone affected by the tornado.' The storm caused 'significant' damage to six homes in nearby Sachse, as well, the AP reported. Four of those houses are now considered 'uninhabitable,' according to the news agency. Read more here. – The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Washington Insider

  • Former Housing Secretary Julian Castro said Monday that he needs to raise at least $800,000 over the next ten days in order to keep his long shot bid going for the White House. In a fundraising email to supporters, and on social media, Castro bluntly said he needs more money to stay in the race. 'If I can’t raise $800,000 by the end of this month -- I will have no choice but to end my race for President,' Castro said. The appeal for money was much like one from Cory Booker a few weeks ago. While Booker hit his target -like Castro - he remains far back in the race for the Democratic nomination. Not only is Castro running into money troubles, but he is not expected to do well enough in the polls to qualify for the next Democratic debate, which will be held next month in Georgia. At this point, eight Democrats have hit the qualifying numbers both in terms of campaign donors, and polls - Biden, Sanders, Warren, Harris, Buttigieg, Steyer, Booker, and Yang. But a lack of strength in the polls means that Castro may not make the November debate, as he still needs four solid polls to get on the debate stage. Weak poll numbers also could keep out Tulsi Gabbard and Beto O'Rourke, as they both need three more qualifying polls. Amy Klobuchar needs two more. Castro's efforts to move up in the Democratic race have not worked; he used two debates to sternly attack former Vice President Joe Biden - but, while the efforts gained attention, it did not lead to a bump in the polls.