ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
65°
Showers
H 82° L 67°
  • cloudy-day
    65°
    Current Conditions
    Showers. H 82° L 67°
  • rain-day
    79°
    Afternoon
    Showers. H 82° L 67°
  • clear-night
    74°
    Evening
    Clear. H 82° L 67°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National Govt & Politics
Virginia sex allegations are latest against state officials
Close

Virginia sex allegations are latest against state officials

Virginia sex allegations are latest against state officials
Photo Credit: AP Photo/Jeff Roberson, File
FILE - In this May 23, 2017, file photo, Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens speaks to supporters during a rally outside the state Capitol in Jefferson City, Mo. Greitens resigned June 1, 2018, while facing potential House impeachment proceedings over allegations of sexual and political misconduct. A woman with whom Greitens had an extramarital affair testified that he slapped, shoved, restrained and belittled her during a series of sexual encounters in 2015, while he was preparing to run for governor. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson, File)

Virginia sex allegations are latest against state officials

Virginia's lieutenant governor has denied newly publicized allegations that he sexually assaulted two women years ago and has vowed to continue serving in office. It's a scenario that already has played out in several other states, with differing conclusions.

At least six other statewide elected officials have faced allegations of sexual misconduct since 2017. Several initially resisted calls to step down before eventually doing so under the pressure of public scrutiny and ongoing investigations. At least one other accused official remains in office.

Nationwide, at least 90 state lawmakers also have resigned or been ousted, faced discipline or other repercussions, or been publicly accused of sexual misconduct since the beginning of 2017. Many of those allegations were brought to light as part of the #MeToo movement that gained steam after allegations of sexual misconduct were made against movie mogul Harvey Weinstein.

Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax, a Democrat, is accused of sexually assaulting a woman while they were students at Duke University in 2000 and forcing another woman to perform a sex act at a Boston hotel in 2004. Fairfax has denied ever sexually assaulting anyone.

A look at other statewide elected officials who have recently faced sexual misconduct allegations:

— Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley, a Republican. Bentley resigned April 10, 2017, as House impeachment proceedings began against him. He pleaded guilty that same day to two misdemeanor campaign finance violations that arose during an investigation of his alleged affair with a top aide.

An investigatory report for the impeachment proceedings had said Bentley encouraged an "atmosphere of intimidation" to try to keep the relationship secret and had directed a law officer to try to track down and seize recordings of him making sexually charged comments to the woman.

— Wyoming Secretary of State Ed Murray, a Republican. Murray resigned Feb. 9, 2018, following accusations of sexual misconduct by two women from decades ago. One woman accused him of sexually attacking her after hours at a Cheyenne law office where they both worked over 35 years ago. The other woman said Murray forcibly kissed her when she was 18 years old after she had been babysitting for his family on New Year's Eve 1988.

— New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, a Democrat. Schneiderman had built a reputation as a supporter of the #MeToo movement and had filed a lawsuit aimed at securing better compensation for those accusing Weinstein of sexual misconduct.

But he resigned May 7, after a media report that he had slapped, choked, threatened and abused four women during intimate encounters. Campaign finance reports show Schneiderman used nearly $340,000 in political campaign money to pay a law firm that represented him during an investigation into the allegations.

— Louisiana Secretary of State Tom Schedler, a Republican. Schedler resigned effective May 8 after being accused in a lawsuit by an employee of sexually harassing her for years and punishing her when she rebuffed his advances. The state paid nearly $150,000 to settle the lawsuit plus an additional $35,000 on private attorneys to respond to the suit.

— Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens, a Republican. Greitens resigned June 1 while facing potential House impeachment proceedings over allegations of sexual and political misconduct. A woman with whom Greitens had an extramarital affair testified that he slapped, shoved, restrained and belittled her during a series of sexual encounters in 2015, while he was preparing to run for governor.

As jury selection was getting under way for a May criminal trial, a St. Louis prosecutor dropped a charge of invasion of privacy related to a nonconsensual compromising photo that Greitens allegedly took of the woman.

In exchange for Greitens' resignation, the prosecutor also dropped a separate charge of tampering with computer data alleging that Greitens improperly provided his political fundraiser with a donor list from a veterans charity he founded.

— Indiana Attorney General Curtis Hill, Republican. A special prosecutor declined in October 2018 to pursue criminal charges against Hill. That decision came as a state investigation cited witness testimony that an apparently intoxicated Hill inappropriately touched a female lawmaker and three female legislative staffers during a March party at an Indianapolis bar celebrating the end of the 2018 legislative session.

Other top elected officials had called on Hill to resign after media publicized the allegations in July. He remains in office.

___

Follow David A. Lieb at https://twitter.com/DavidALieb

Read More

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • A loaded gun was brought inside a Pittsburgh elementary school Monday, officials said. >> Watch the news report here WPXI-TV reports that the weapon wasn't found until after school, when another student told a bus driver that someone had a gun. Children are not required to go through the metal detectors at Pittsburgh Faison Elementary School in Homewood, but a district spokesperson told WPXI that there are going to be changes in security measures starting Tuesday morning. >> Read more trending news  The kindergarten student had the loaded gun, with the safety on, in his backpack, inside his locker. Officials told WPXI that parents got a notice from the district's phone system. WPXI is working to find out if the child's parents will be charged.
  • Razor blades have been found under the handles of shopping carts at a Walmart store in North Carolina, police said. >> Watch the news report here The blades were found at the store in Siler City, about 35 miles south of Greensboro, WSOC-TV reported. Two people reportedly have been hurt. Siler City police are seeking two people of interest, both described as white men in their 30s. Police said the men were seen in a tan Chevrolet Suburban or GMC SUV. >> Read the full descriptions here >> See the surveillance photos here – The Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.
  • A skyride malfunctioned Monday night at SeaWorld San Diego, initially stranding nine adults and seven children – including an infant. Here are the latest updates: Update 11:26 p.m. PST: Rescue workers have saved all 16 people who were trapped on the Bayside Skyride at SeaWorld San Diego, the San Diego Fire Department tweeted late Monday. >> See the tweet here Original story: A rescue is underway at SeaWorld San Diego after a skyride malfunctioned Monday night, initially stranding nine adults and seven children – including an infant. >> See a photo from the scene here >> Read more trending news  As of 10:30 p.m. PST, crews had rescued 14 people from the Bayside Skyride, which stalled when heavy winds 'tripped a circuit breaker' more than three hours earlier, KSWB reported. Two people were still trapped on the ride's gondolas, the San Diego Fire Department said. >> See the tweet here KSWB said some of the gondolas were over Mission Bay when the ride stopped working. Those trapped were 'lowered by harnesses & rescued by [San Diego Lifeguards] boats,' the Fire Department tweeted. Read more here.
  • A University of Central Florida employee suffered burns Monday after a chemical reaction, according to Orange County Fire Rescue officials. Firefighters were called to 3512 Perseus Loop Lane near the Facilities Operations building on UCF's campus around 3 p.m.  The 29-year-old who was the only person in the building at the time, and was transporting the chemicals when a static discharge sparked a fire.  He was taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center with burns to his face, arms and chest according to responding firefighters.  A university spokeswoman said the incident happened in a building on campus that is designed to handle chemicals and no students were involved in the incident or ever in any danger.  The worker's name was not released. Mike Jachles with OCFR said he was conscious and alert when he was taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center.
  • Four days after the announcement of a series of executive actions to fund his signature border wall, President Donald Trump’s administration still needs to fill in the details on his plans to shift over $6.6 billion from the Pentagon and Treasury Department into funding border security, as members of Congress continue to wonder if the move will dig into their local military base construction projects. On Capitol Hill, lawmakers and their staffs were awaiting guidance on where the Pentagon would look for money in the $3.6 billion sought by the President in his emergency declaration from military construction projects, which was already the subject of new lawsuits. “Congress has not enacted any emergency legislation even remotely related to border wall construction, and thus the President’s reallocation of funds is unlawful,” read a suit filed against the President and Pentagon by several environmental groups. In a letter to the Acting Secretary of Defense, Sen. Tim Kaine (D-VA) asked for a breakdown of which projects would be put on hold – as under the ‘national emergency’ law used by the President, the Pentagon would make those decisions – not the Congress. Congress approved $10.3 billion for military construction in Fiscal Year 2019 – the $3.6 billion sought by the President would be more than one-third of that amount – which has drawn expressions of concern from lawmakers. As Kaine noted in his letter, the move to shift money from military construction comes at a time when the Pentagon already was having to deal with hurricane damage at two major domestic bases – Camp Lejeune for the Marines in North Carolina, and Tyndall Air Force Base in Florida. Tyndall was seriously damaged by Hurricane Michael in 2018 – and despite support for rebuilding the base, Congress has not yet acted on extra money for the Pentagon – or on broader hurricane relief for those hit in Florida and Georgia. During the partial government shutdown, Democrats in the House approved a bill which had $12.1 billion in disaster aid, both for hurricanes and wildfires – but that bill does not seem to be on the agenda in the U.S. Senate at this point. @DrNealDunnFL2 Dr Dunn, we are hearing here in the Panhandle that Trump is going after Tyndall rebuilding money for his wall. Please don’t let this happen! No Tyndall would be catastrophic to our area. Please help! — Billy Shears (@BillyShears9) February 14, 2019 The Commandant of the Marine Corps said over the weekend that he needs $3.5 billion just for repairs at Camp LeJeune from damage caused by Hurricane Florence in September of 2018 – which is equal to the figure of how much in military construction the President wants to shift into a border wall. Earlier this month, Air Force officials said they planned to spend $3 billion to rebuild Tyndall, which was flattened by Hurricane Michael in October of last year. House Democrats say they plan to hold a hearing as soon as next week to get a better idea on what military construction projects the Pentagon wants to scrap – in order to move money to the wall. Also still unclear is the legal underpinnings for two other moves announced last week by the White House, where the President would move money from a Treasury Department drug forfeiture fund, as well as money from a Pentagon anti-drug account – into a border wall.