On Air Now

Listen Now

Weather

cloudy-day
73°
Partly Cloudy
H 87° L 69°
  • cloudy-day
    73°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 87° L 69°
  • cloudy-day
    81°
    Evening
    Partly Cloudy. H 87° L 69°
  • clear-night
    70°
    Morning
    Mostly Clear. H 91° L 70°
Listen
Pause
Error

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National Govt & Politics
Still on: Iowa, New Hampshire won't nix 2020 GOP contests
Close

Still on: Iowa, New Hampshire won't nix 2020 GOP contests

Still on: Iowa, New Hampshire won't nix 2020 GOP contests
Photo Credit: AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall, File
FILE - In this Aug. 11, 2019, file photo, Republican presidential candidate and former Massachusetts Gov. Bill Weld speaks to reporters during a visit to the Iowa State Fair in Des Moines, Iowa. Republican leaders in Iowa and New Hampshire are vowing to hold their presidential primary contests as scheduled, even as party leaders in other key states cancel their 2020 primaries to help give President Donald Trump a smooth path to re-election. (AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall, File)

Still on: Iowa, New Hampshire won't nix 2020 GOP contests

Republicans in Iowa and New Hampshire are vowing to hold a caucus and primary next year, even as party leaders in a handful of other states have canceled their contests to help smooth President Donald Trump's path to reelection.

"Under no circumstances will the New Hampshire primary ever be canceled, whether there's token opposition or a serious contest," Steve Duprey, New Hampshire's national Republican committeeman, said in an interview.

"It was never even up for discussion," echoed Iowa GOP National Committeeman Steve Scheffler in a separate interview. "We're not going to shut the door on anyone and say, 'You're not welcome.'"

At least three Republicans have stepped up to challenge Trump's claim to his party's 2020 presidential nomination: former Massachusetts Gov. Bill Weld,former South Carolina Gov. and U.S. Rep. Mark Sanford and former Illinois congressman Joe Walsh. None of them is expected to generate enough support to defeat — or even embarrass — the incumbent president in the months leading up to the November 2020 general election.

Still, Trump allies on the ground in South Carolina, Nevada, Arizona and Kansas moved in recent days to cancel their 2020 primary contests altogether to eliminate the possibility of trouble. Some said the cancellations were simply a cost-cutting measure, yet they follow aggressive steps by the Trump campaign and the Republican National Committee in recent months to strengthen Trump's reelection chances.

Canceling primaries is not unprecedented, but it is not common. Republicans and Democrats canceled presidential nominating contests to protect incumbents across 10 or fewer states in 1992, 1996, 2004 and 2012.

Longtime Iowa Republican operative David Kochel, a frequent Trump critic, said he doesn't ascribe "a sinister motive" to the recently announced cancellations. It's often a political party's job to help incumbents win reelection, he said.

"It does lend itself to the whole sinister anti-democratic thing," Kochel added. "I don't think it's quite that simple."

While polls suggest the overwhelming majority of Republican voters support Trump, some veteran GOP officials were troubled by the decisions to cancel elections altogether, dismissing the cost-cutting motive as spin.

"This was a shady backroom deal where a small group of party insiders made a big decision that stops hundreds of thousands of voters from participating in the process," said South Carolina Republican operative Rob Godfrey, who previously worked for the state GOP and former Gov. Nikki Haley.

Chip Felkel, another veteran South Carolina Republican operative, cried foul as well.

"What's the RNC and the Trump campaign afraid of?" asked Felkel, who worked for Jeb Bush's 2016 presidential bid. "This to me, no matter how they spin it, suggests there's weakness they don't want to reveal."

At least one New Hampshire Republican official went further.

Fergus Cullen, a former state GOP chairman, said the push to cancel primaries represent the "drip drip drip of autocratic tendencies in the Trump administration."

"This is the kind of thing that happens in autocratic nations led by dictators," Cullen said. "One way to ensure that the president of Russia gets 98% of the vote is you don't allow anyone else on the ballot."

The Trump campaign has essentially ignored the prospect of a serious primary challenge when asked. The incumbent president is not expected to accept invitations for traditional primary activities, such as debates.

Campaign spokesman Tim Murtaugh would say only that "President Trump's election is in November 2020."

Trump himself, however, has already given his trio of challengers a derogatory nickname. "The Three Stooges, all badly failed candidates, will give it a go!" the president tweeted over the weekend after Walsh and Sanford formally joined Weld in the Republican field.

Both Walsh and Sanford have begun reaching out to potential supporters in New Hampshire, the state that has emerged as the unofficial staging ground of the GOP's "Never Trump" movement. Former state party chair Jennifer Horn has become a fierce Trump critic, as have several former Republican officeholders in the state.

Cullen said that primary contest cancellations elsewhere mean that "New Hampshire is the only game in town" for a real Trump challenge.

"If anything, this means that the place to send a message is New Hampshire," Cullen said. "It already was, but now there's literally no other options."

Even in the Granite State, however, Trump is expected to easily beat back primary challengers. And the bar may be high even for those Republicans hoping to embarrass Trump by denying him a significant portion of the vote.

President Barack Obama, for example, won New Hampshire's 2012 presidential primary with only around 81% of the vote.

Still, New Hampshire Republicans will at least get a chance to be heard. The first-in-the-nation primary can only be canceled by changing state law.

New Hampshire GOP Chairman Stephen Stepanek, who ran the Trump campaign's New Hampshire efforts in 2016, said he could "never conceive of the New Hampshire primary ever being canceled for any reason."

The level of enthusiasm for Trump among New Hampshire Republicans "is just overwhelming," he said. He also predicted that Trump will get "well into the 90s" in the state's 2020 GOP primary.

"I think they're going to be very excited to vote for him just to show their support for him," Stepanek said.

___

Peoples reported from New York and Kinnard reported from Columbia, S.C. Associated Press writers Zeke Miller in Washington and Alexandra Jaffe in Des Moines, Iowa, contributed to this report.

Read More

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • A Michigan toddler died last week after authorities said her head became stuck in a car's power window in Detroit. >> Read more trending news  According to WXYZ-TV, Kierre Allen, 2, was inside the parked 2005 Mazda 3 with her father, who had fallen asleep, last Monday when the window somehow closed on her head, authorities said. The 21-year-old man awoke to find the child caught in the window, he told police. Kierre's uncle took the pair to a nearby hospital as the father tried to revive the girl, WJBK-TV reported. Doctors said she was dead when she arrived. Police arrested the girl's father, who had outstanding traffic warrants, authorities said. He has not been charged in connection with Kierre's death, the Detroit News reported.
  • The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office in Florida is searching for Patrick Felton, 38, in reference to an Amber Alert regarding the whereabouts of a 13-year-old boy.  The boy has been located, but Felton has not yet been found by authorities. On Saturday night, police were called after Felton allegedly got into a fight with the boy's mother. Felton dropped her off at Baptist North Medical Campus, located at 11250 Baptist Health Drive, authorities said. Felton would not let the boy get out of the vehicle and drove off with him, authorities said. The boy's mother reportedly called the suspect, demanding he return the 13-year-old. Felton confirmed he had the boy and hung up the phone, police said. Felton would no longer answer his phone, but police were able to locate his abandoned car on Redpoll Avenue, authorities said. They later found the boy, but not Felton. Records show Felton has a lengthy criminal history, including carjacking with a deadly weapon, for which he served 20 years. He was released from prison in January 2019, then he violated his parole, got arrested and was released again in August 2019.  Now, JSO is looking for him concerning his alleged involvement in this abduction.  Anyone with information about Felton's whereabouts should contact JSO at 904-630-0500 or email JSOCrimeTips@jaxsheriff.org. To remain anonymous and be eligible for a possible reward if your tip leads to an arrest, please call Crime Stoppers at 1-866-845-TIPS.
  • Authorities in Washington state are offering up to a $1,000 reward for information that leads to the identification and arrest of a suspect accused of posing as a flower delivery man, then beating and pepper-spraying a woman in an attack last month caught on camera in Seattle's Lower Queen Anne neighborhood. >> Read more trending news  'There's a good chance' the woman may lose sight in one eye following the attack that has left her traumatized with nightmares, according to Crime Stoppers of Puget Sound. Surveillance video of the attack obtained by KIRO-TV shows the woman greeting the unidentified man at her apartment lobby door on Aug. 24. The man then unleashes on the woman, who falls down, flower bouquet in hand, as the suspect repeatedly hits and then pepper sprays her. Crime Stoppers said the woman did not know the man who attacked her and that he did not steal anything from her. Seattle police confirmed Sunday they're investigating the August attack but did not provide additional details about why the woman may have been targeted citing an active investigation. The woman initially told the man by phone to leave the flowers outside, according to Crime Stoppers. The suspect then told her she would have to sign for them and asked the woman to verify her name and where she worked before attacking her. Neighbors told KIRO-TV on Sunday that they were shocked to hear of the attack. 'It's horrible; I can't believe it,' said one neighbor who did not want to be publicly identified. 'That's malicious, evil.' Contact Crime Stoppers anonymously at P3Tips.com or call 1-800-222-8477 with information related to the man's identity.
  • Apopka police said a driver hit and killed a pedestrian and hurt another early Sunday. Around 4 a.m., police said, officers responded to Main Street and McGee Avenue in reference to a traffic crash involving a SUV and two pedestrians.When emergency services arrived on scene, they found a man dead and a woman in critical condition.  Police said the driver fled the scene. Investigators were able to track down the driver, identified as Jesus Bolanos Rodriguez. Bolanos Rodriguez was arrested and charged with leaving the scene of a crash involving death, leaving the scene of a crash involving serious bodily injury and driving without a license. Bolanos Rodriguez was transported to the Orange County Jail for processing.
  •  Davie Police have been searching for 16-year-old Destiny Rose since August 20th, but are now stepping up their investigation after a video call to the missing girls family. Rose’s aunt reported the call from her niece’s Instagram account to police. The video showed a Hispanic man in his 20’s or 30’s who eventually moved to show Rose crying and sitting in a chair with a rope wrapped around her neck. The man had a crew cut and a short patch of facial hair on his chin. Detectives said the man told the family, “If you actually cared about her, you would be here to get her” before disconnecting. Rose is 5’1” tall,  with blond hair and green eyes and weighs about 146 pounds.  She was last seen at the  Alpha Group Home in Southwest Ranches.   Police are asking anyone with information to call 954-693-8200 or Broward Crime Stoppers at 954-493-TIPS (8477).

Washington Insider

  • Democrats on Sunday denounced President Donald Trump, the Justice Department, and the acting Director of National Intelligence, accusing the Trump Administration of violating federal law by withholding information from a whistleblower inside the U.S. Intelligence Community, as the top Democrat in Congress said this could dramatically escalate the standoff over various investigations of the President. 'If the Administration persists in blocking this whistleblower from disclosing to Congress a serious possible breach of constitutional duties by the President, they will be entering a grave new chapter of lawlessness which will take us into a whole new stage of investigation,' House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said in a letter to fellow Democrats on Sunday. Her letter came as critics of the President said Mr. Trump had used a phone call with the new leader of Ukraine to urge him to investigate the son of former Vice President Joe Biden, Hunter Biden, who did work for a Ukrainian gas company. 'We must be sure that the President and his Administration are always conducting our national security and foreign policy in the best interest of the American people, not the President’s personal or political interest,' Speaker Pelosi added. Democrats said the Justice Department and the Acting Director of National Intelligence - who took over in that position just last month when two other top officials were pushed out - were violating federal law by withholding the whistleblower information, evidently about President Trump and Ukraine. By referring to a 'new stage of investigation' involving the President in her letter to fellow Democrats, Speaker Pelosi immediately raised questions about whether she might change her mind on the idea of impeachment proceedings. 'Republicans, it's time to stop making excuses for Trump,' said Rep. Gregory Meeks (D-NY). 'Enough is enough.' 'No one is above the law, not even President Trump,' said Rep. Diana DeGette (D-CO). 'The DNI needs to refer this complaint to Congress immediately.' 'Trump wants to bury a whistleblower complaint that the Inspector General has deemed urgent,' said Rep. Steve Cohen (D-TN). 'It’s the law,' said Rep. Raja Krishnamoorthi (D-IL). 'It’s. The. Law.' tweeted Rep. Don Beyer (D-VA). At issue is what's known as the 'Intelligence Community Whistleblower Protection Act,' which says if an internal complaint is judged to be urgent by the Inspector General of the Intelligence Community - then it is sent to the Congressional intelligence committees. The Inspector General has ruled exactly that - but the Trump Administration refuses to turn over the information. The law does include a provision that if the Director of National Intelligence refuses to give Congress the material, the whistleblower could do it on his or her own. On Sunday, President Trump told reporters his conversation with the President of Ukraine had been a 'beautiful' one, and did not involve any wrongdoing on his part. 'Well, this whistleblower - or whoever it was - because it sounds like it’s not a whistleblower,' the President told reporters.  'You can’t have that happen to a President of the United States,' he said.