ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
86°
Mostly Sunny
H 85° L 69°
  • cloudy-day
    86°
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Sunny. H 85° L 69°
  • clear-day
    70°
    Morning
    Mostly Sunny. H 85° L 69°
  • clear-day
    83°
    Afternoon
    Mostly Sunny. H 85° L 58°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

US loses to Russia in case of 2 arms trafficking suspects

The Russian father and son were in a Hungarian jail, charged in an elaborate plot to ship weapons to Mexican drug cartels and cocaine to the U.S. They found an American lawyer anticipating an inevitable extradition and trial in New York. But then the case took an unexpected turn. 

Instead of being extradited to the U.S., Vladimir Lyubishin Jr. and Sr. were sent back to Russia, where, the State Department says, it's not clear if they will face trial.

"The United States believes that all the relevant factors favored extradition to the United States," the Justice Department told The Associated Press in a written response to questions. "And it appears that Russia sought the Lyubishins in order to protect them, not to prosecute them."

Last week, the State Department issued a rare public rebuke of Hungary, a NATO ally and member of the European Union, which has extradited people to the United States in the past.

"Hungary is a partner and friend of the United States, but this decision raises questions about Hungary's commitment to law enforcement cooperation," said spokeswoman Heather Nauert.

The case, first reported by the Hungarian investigative group Direkt36, is murky, involving a shadowy world of confidential informants and meetings in different countries. U.S. court documents allege that Vladimir Lyubishin Sr., who is in his mid-60s, and his son, who is in his mid-30s, entered negotiations in 2015 to sell machine guns, grenades and anti-aircraft missiles to three men they believed were representing Mexican drug cartels. The men said they wanted the armaments to protect their merchandise from American law enforcement. The Russian men were working with a Turkish business partner, Hamit Nasirlioglu.

Over more than a year of meetings, the men eventually agreed to provide the weapons and to ship at least 5 kilograms of cocaine to the U.S. as part of the deal. The representatives of the cartel turned out to be confidential sources working with the Drug Enforcement Administration, and the three men were charged in federal court in New York with drug and weapons offenses that carry lengthy prison terms. The Lyubishins could face 25 years in jail or more.

Nasirlioglu was arrested on Nov. 9, 2016, in Montenegro, and the Russian father and son were nabbed the same day in Hungary.

The Turkish defendant was extradited to the U.S. in in March 2017, and at a hearing a few days later, a federal prosecutor told a judge she was "optimistic" the Lyubishins would follow within the next couple of months. But she also cautioned that Moscow's involvement could complicate matters.

Two months later, Russia filed its own request for extradition.

Robert Fridman, a Hungarian-based lawyer for the Lyubishins, said his clients, who had lived in Hungary since the 1990s, believed they were legitimately selling decommissioned Hungarian military equipment weapons to buyers from Nicaragua who had the necessary import permits.

"They fell victim to a provocation by the agents of the DEA," Fridman said. "They were taking part in a legitimate business. They weren't offering anything illegal."

In August 2018, the Lyubishins were flown to Moscow and jailed pending investigation and trial, Fridman said.

Russian authorities did not respond to requests from the AP for comment.

Hungarian government spokesman Zoltan Kovacs defended the extradition decision, saying it was based on a court ruling and international agreements and stressed that the Lyubishins were arrested with the help of Hungary's law enforcement agents.

He did not explain why the Russian claim trumped the U.S. extradition request.

"The laws of Hungary apply to everyone in Hungary," he said on Twitter. Kovacs noted that Hungary filed nine extradition requests with U.S. authorities in recent years, and eight have been rejected.

Nasirlioglu pleaded guilty and was sentenced in November to just over three years in prison, with credit for time served in Montenegro awaiting extradition. Although the State Department said it's unclear if the Lyubishins would be tried at all in Russia, Fridman says his clients face seven years in prison, but are satisfied.

"It was a victory," he said. "They got the lesser of the two evils."

Some experts say geopolitics may have played a role. Prime Minister Viktor Orban, who has been in power since 2010, has championed a nationalist, anti-immigration agenda and has sought to cultivate closer ties to Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Orban has also faced strong criticism from other EU member states for a variety of actions, including the recent closure of Central European University, which was founded by Hungarian-born philanthropist George Soros, an Orban opponent, and for sheltering former Macedonia Prime Minister Nikola Gruevski, who fled his country last month to evade a two-year prison term for corruption.

Orban was all but shunned under Barack Obama's presidency. The Trump administration has set out to re-engage Hungary and improve relations, but some critics question that approach.

"This is just an accumulating and mounting list of really big bilateral concerns," said Heather Conley, head of the Europe program at the Center for Strategic and International Studies. "The weight of this growing list is going to become something that will require Washington to reassess its current policy approach to Hungary."

___

Associated Press writers Mike Balsamo and Jim Mustian contributed to this report.

___

This story has been corrected to show the surname is Nasirlioglu, not Nasirilioglu, and the investigative group is Direkt36, not Direct36.

Read More

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • A 31-year-old man was arrested Friday in connection with the fatal shooting of his grandfather at a home near Ocoee. Deputies said the victim was shot shortly before 7:15 a.m. in the Lake Florence subdivision near Good Homes Road.  Relatives said the victim was boxing icon Lucious 'Lou' Harris.  Deputies said they arrested Lucien Harris in connection with the shooting.  “My father was, like, an icon in the boxing world,' said Steve Harris, the victim's son and the suspect's uncle. 'Everybody knew him -- all across the world.'  He said he and his family almost expected something bad to happen.  'It's not a complete surprise. Not to me,' Harris said. 'It could have been me. It could have been my other brother in the car, my sister. We all knew something was going to happen eventually, but not my dad.'  Lou Harris owned Harris Boxing on Ivey Lane in Orlando and trained hundreds of fighters, including his grandson, relatives said.  'He took people from the street and took them right to the Olympics -- and (they won) gold medals, bronze medals. He did it all,' Steve Harris said of his father.  He said the suspect was living with his grandfather at his Florence Vista Boulevard home.  He said Lucien Harris was once a boxer, too, but was not successful and had resentment and jealousy because of it.  Records said Lucien Harris was arrested in October after he was accused of threatening to kill his uncle with a hammer and knife.  His uncle told investigators at the time that Lucien Harris has 'schizophrenia and bipolar disorder and does not take medications for his issues,' records said.  Lucien Harris was not prosecuted in that case.  Records said his arrest history dates back to 2004, when he was arrested on charges of assault with a deadly weapon.  Since then, he has also been arrested on charges of possessing a gun as a convicted felon, armed burglary and grand theft.  'His grandson had issues for many years,' Steve Harris said. 'He did time at an early age.'  Lucien Harris was booked into the Orange County Jail on charges of first-degree murder.
  • Who doesn't love food and drinks, especially when it comes to trying out a variety of kinds all in one visit? Thankfully, if you don't have any weekend plans, you can check out the annual Downtown Food and Wine Fest located in the heart of downtown Orlando at Lake Eola.  This year's celebration on Robinson Street features over 30 dishes from Orlando's premier restaurants, over 50 domestic and international wines, and of course, LIVE entertainment.  However, before you set out to enjoy the festival there's a few things you need to know:  - You can't bring any outside food or drink to the event.  - Pets are not allowed inside due to food health laws set by the City of Orlando.  - You can bring your own blanket and chairs to sit and enjoy the live music.  - Since its on the weekend, you can expect road closures. Here they are:  Southbound Eola Drive from Robinson Street to Washington Street at 10am  Northbound Eola Drive from Robinson Street to Washington Street until 2pm.  Broadway, Cathcart, Hillman from Ridgewood Street to Robinson Street until 2pm.  Robinson Street from Rosalind Avenue to Summerlin Avenue at 6am.   Ticket prices for the event vary, depending on what you want to do. You can check them out here:  https://downtownfoodandwinefest.radio.com/ticket-info  The events starts on Saturday, February 23rd from 12pm to 9pm and Sunday, February 24th from 12pm to 7pm.
  • Southeastern Grocers announced the closing of another eight Florida stores in coming months. Jacksonville based Southeastern Grocers, is the parent company to Winn-Dixie, Harveys, Bi-Lo and Fresco y Mas grocery stores.  The company owns more than 550 stores throughout the southeast and declared bankruptcy last spring. The bankruptcy restructuring included closing 94 stores to help lower debt by about $600 million.  In addition to the eight stores closing in Florida, two of which are in Central Florida, another 14 are closing throughout the South.  The two in Central Florida include the Winn-Dixie at 7840 W. Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy in Kissimmee and the Winn-Dixie at 5732 N. Hiawassee Road in Orlando.
  • Prosecutors in Illinois have filed 10 counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse against R&B musician R. Kelly, Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx said Friday at a news conference. Foxx said the charges were related to incidents alleged to have occurred between 1998 and 2010 with four separate victims. >> Read more trending news Update 9:20 p.m. EST Feb. 22: R. Kelly turned himself in to Chicago police after being charged with 10 counts of aggravated sexual abuse. The 52-year-old singer, whose real name is Robert Kelly, arrived at the precinct in a van about 8:15 p.m. Friday. If taken into custody, he is expected to be held overnight and appear Saturday in bond court. Kelly’s attorney Steve Greenberg said he maintains his innocence and looks forward to being acquitted at trial. Update 6:30 p.m. EST Feb. 22: R. Kelly’s attorney said the singer is “shell-shocked” by the aggravated sexual abuse indictment against him and plans to turn himself in to authorities Friday night. Steve Greenberg told The Associated Press that his client is “extraordinarily disappointed and depressed” by the 10 counts Chicago prosecutors filed against him. Update 3:15 p.m. EST Feb. 22: Authorities held a brief news conference Friday to announce the charges against Kelly. Foxx said the charges brought against Kelly involve four victims, three of which were under the age of 17 at the time of the alleged sexual abuse. The alleged sexual abuse took place between 1998 and 2010, she said. The charges are class 2 felonies which carry maximum sentences of seven years per charge, Foxx said. She added that they were “also probationable.” “We anticipate that Mr. Kelly will appear in bond court tomorrow afternoon,” Foxx said. Update 2:50 p.m. EST Feb. 22: The Chicago Tribune reported that the charges against Kelly involve four victims, at least three of which are underage. The incidents were alleged to have occurred between 1998 and 2010 with minors between the ages of 13 and 16, according to the Tribune. A judge on Friday approved of a no-bail arrest warrant for Kelly, the Sun-Times reported. Authorities are expected to provide more information on the case at a news conference Friday afternoon. Original report: Tandra Simonton, spokeswoman for the Cook County State's Attorney's Office, confirmed to The Associated Press that charges had been filed against the 52-year-old Grammy winner but declined to say the specific number. Media reports said there were 10 counts, all involving underage victims. >> New sex tape allegedly shows R. Kelly having sex with underage girl, according to reports The charges are felonies that carry maximum sentences of seven years each, if Kelly is convicted, WGN-TV reported. Kelly, one of the top-selling recording artists of all time, has several times over the years been accused of sexual misconduct, allegations that he’s consistently denied. Jurors acquitted Kelly of child pornography charges at a 2008 trial. Those charges stemmed from a video prosecutors alleged showed of Kelly having sex with a girl as young as 13. >> Report: R. Kelly being investigated by Atlanta-area DA after docuseries abuse allegations The latest charges were filed nearly two weeks after a man gave authorities new footage that purportedly showed Kelly engaging in sexual acts with an underage girl. The man's attorney, Michael Avenatti, told CNN last week that the man was a whistleblower. Avenatti said his client “worked for and has known R. Kelly for decades and he met the girl on a number of occasions.” On Friday, Avenatti seemed to announce the charges against Kelly with a two word tweet: “It’s over.” >> Who is R. Kelly? 7 things to know  “After 25 years of serial sexual abuse and assault of underage girls, the day of reckoning for R. Kelly has arrived,” he wrote in a subsequent tweet. Avenatti said he will provide more information about the case at a press conference Friday afternoon. Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx is also expected to hold a news conference Friday. The Associated Press contributed to this report. Check back for updates to this developing story.
  • The midnight deadline for special counsel Robert Mueller’s office to make recommendations about the sentencing for Paul Manafort passed Friday night, but the report was not publicly released as of Saturday morning. Manafort, President Donald Trump’s campaign chairman, pleaded guilty to several charges last year.  >> Read more trending news Prosecutors may have sent the document to Judge Amy Berman Jackson under seal, with proposed redactions, CNN reported Saturday. It would then be up to Jackson to decide what happens next. Prosecutors were expected to file the sentencing memo in federal court in Washington, where Manafort pleaded guilty in September to charges including conspiracy against the United States and conspiracy to obstruct justice through witness tampering. >> More on Robert Mueller's investigation  Manafort agreed to fully cooperate with Mueller’s team as part of a plea agreement with prosecutors; however, authorities later said Manafort lied to investigators. Prosecutors are not expected to recommend leniency for him. Manafort’s attorneys will have until midnight Monday to file their own sentencing memo. A judge is expected to hand down Manafort’s sentence March 13 at a 9:30 a.m. hearing before U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson. >> Judge rules Paul Manafort intentionally lied after agreeing to cooperate In a separate case that also stemmed from Mueller’s investigation, a jury in Virginia found Manafort guilty last summer of tax and bank fraud charges in a case related to work he and an associate did for pro-Russia political forces in Ukraine. Prosecutors last week recommended Manafort serve between 19.5 and 24.5 years in prison and be fined as much as $24 million for those crimes. Manafort is scheduled to be sentenced in that case during a 9 a.m. hearing March 8 before U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis, according to a court filing. >> Mueller recommends Paul Manafort be sentenced to 19.5-24.5 years in prison and $24M fine Last month, defense attorneys said Manafort has been kept in solitary confinement for his own safety. He’s had severe gout for several months of his incarceration, according to his attorneys, and it’s sometimes been severe enough to require him to use a wheelchair. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Washington Insider

  • Democrats in the House of Representatives unveiled their one page plan on Friday to overturn President Donald Trump's bid to funnel more money to a border wall by declaring a national emergency, as Speaker Nancy Pelosi told reporters said the House would vote next Tuesday to block the President's executive actions on funding for the wall. 'Members of Congress all swear an oath to support and defend the Constitution,' the Speaker said. 'The President’s decision to go outside the bounds of the law to try to get what he failed to achieve in the constitutional legislative process violates the Constitution and must be terminated,' Pelosi wrote earlier this week in a letter to fellow Democrats. Democrats said they already have more than a majority of members signed on to the one page resolution to reject the Trump national emergency. 'We hope that enough of our normal Republican enablers will join us to stand up for the Constitution,' said Rep. Lloyd Doggett (D-TX). 'If not, we’re ready to turn to the courthouse.' As of Friday, only one Republican in the House had signed on to the plan to reject the President’s national emergency, Rep. Justin Amash (R-MI). “Trump’s absurd declaration of a “national emergency” undercuts the Constitution,” said Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-OR), as approval in the House would send the plan to the Senate. Under special rules governing this process, GOP leaders would not be able to ignore the House action, as a vote must take place on the resolution. But even if it passes in the Senate, a veto is likely by President Trump, and at this point - it seems unlikely that Democrats could muster enough GOP votes for a two-thirds supermajority to override a veto.