ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
85°
Sct Thunderstorms
H 88° L 74°
  • cloudy-day
    85°
    Current Conditions
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 88° L 74°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    79°
    Evening
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 88° L 74°
  • cloudy-day
    75°
    Morning
    Mostly Cloudy. H 85° L 74°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National Govt & Politics
Former Trump aide Hope Hicks agrees to Judiciary interview
Close

Former Trump aide Hope Hicks agrees to Judiciary interview

Former Trump aide Hope Hicks agrees to Judiciary interview
Photo Credit: AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite, File
FILE - In this Feb. 27, 2018 photo, then-White House Communications Director Hope Hicks arrives to meet behind closed doors with the House Intelligence Committee, at the Capitol in Washington. Hicks has agreed to a closed-door interview with the House Judiciary Committee, according to two people familiar with the deal. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite, File)

Former Trump aide Hope Hicks agrees to Judiciary interview

Former White House communications director Hope Hicks has agreed to a closed-door interview with the House Judiciary Committee, the panel announced Wednesday, a breakthrough for Democrats who have been frustrated by President Donald Trump's broad stonewalling of their investigations.

The Judiciary panel subpoenaed Hicks, a close and trusted Trump aide who worked for the presidential campaign and in the White House, last month as part of its investigation into special counsel Robert Mueller's report and obstruction of justice. Her June 19 interview will mark the first time a former Trump aide has testified before the panel as part of its probe.

Hicks was a key witness for Mueller, delivering important information to the special counsel's office about multiple episodes involving the president. That includes the president's role in the drafting of a misleading and incomplete statement about a 2016 Trump Tower meeting at which Donald Trump Jr. expected to receive dirt on Democrat Hillary Clinton.

Hicks and another former White House aide, Annie Donaldson, both defied subpoenas last week to provide documents to the committee after the White House directed them not to cooperate. That came after former White House counsel Don McGahn also defied subpoenas for documents and testimony at the direction of the White House. McGahn was mentioned frequently in Mueller's report, in addition to Donaldson, who was his aide.

It is unclear whether Hicks will decline to answer some questions related to her time in the White House. She has so far declined to release any documents related to that period after the White House said she had no legal right to provide them. But she has turned over documents related to her time on the Trump campaign.

An attorney for Hicks declined to comment.

While the interview will be behind closed doors, the committee chairman, Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., said the interview transcript will be released to the public.

"It is important to hear from Ms. Hicks, who was a key witness for the special counsel," Nadler said. "Ms. Hicks understands that the committee will be free to pose questions as it sees fit."

Democrats hope that Hicks' interview will be the first of many related to Mueller's report. They are expected to go to court soon to enforce a subpoena against McGahn, and negotiations are ongoing for Mueller's own testimony. Mueller has made it clear that he doesn't want to testify and will not go beyond the substance of the report in any questioning, but Democrats want to talk to him anyway.

Nadler said Tuesday that he also hopes to call in Jody Hunt, who served as former Attorney General Jeff Sessions' chief of staff, and former White House aide Rick Dearborn.

Absent key witnesses, Democrats have so far held hearings with issue experts to review Mueller's report, which examined Russian interference in the 2016 election and whether Trump obstructed justice as he tried to undermine the probe.

On Wednesday, the House intelligence panel heard from former FBI officials who told lawmakers that Russian meddling in the 2016 election bore some of the textbook tricks of the trade of Kremlin spycraft, including the volume and breadth of contacts with Trump associates.

After that hearing, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff, D-Calif., threatened to subpoena FBI Director Christopher Wray for information related to the bureau's counterintelligence investigation into the Russian interference.

Schiff said he has unsuccessfully sought more information about that investigation and any links to Trump's campaign, including whether that probe is still active. The investigation was first disclosed by then-FBI Director James Comey at a committee hearing in March 2017, and Schiff said he has received few answers about it since Comey was fired by Trump two months later.

Schiff wants to know whether the FBI is still conducting any related counterintelligence investigations. Such inquiries can take years and extend far beyond a criminal probe.

"We are determined to get answers, and we are running out of patience," Schiff said. "If necessary, we'll subpoena the director and require him to come in and provide those answers under oath."

The two FBI witnesses at the hearing, Robert Anderson and Stephanie Douglas, highlighted aspects of the Mueller report they said showed Russian efforts to screen and test Trump campaign associates, to establish backchannels of communications and to spread their contacts around in hopes of maximizing their chances of getting what they wanted.

Mueller did not find a criminal conspiracy between the campaign and Russia, but he did detail a series of interactions and outreach that has alarmed Democrats and accelerated calls from some in the party for impeachment proceedings and renewed investigations.

Also Wednesday, Trump Jr. spoke with the Senate Intelligence Committee for about three hours to clarify an interview with the committee's staff in 2017. Senators wanted to talk to him again about the Trump Tower meeting with a Russian lawyer and a Trump real estate project in Moscow.

The president's former lawyer, Michael Cohen, told a House committee in February that he had briefed Trump Jr. approximately 10 times about a plan to build a Trump Tower in Moscow before the 2016 election. But Trump Jr. had told Congress he was only "peripherally aware" of the real estate proposal.

As he left the interview, Trump Jr. said he was happy to clarify his answers, but "I don't think I changed any of what I said because there was nothing to change."

___

Associated Press writers Lisa Mascaro and Laurie Kellman contributed to this report.

Read More

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • A Springfield, Ohio, man who pleaded guilty to killing his neighbor’s dog with a baseball bat in April avoided jail time and was sentenced to community service. Jeffrey Sagraves was ordered to 40 hours of community service and to pay $300 in fines for burglary and cruelty to a companion animal. >> On WHIO.com: Springfield man accused of killing dog with baseball bat He was facing a maximum of 18 months in jail for burglary and 12 months for cruelty to a companion animal. In October, Sagraves called 911 to report that there were two pit bulls in his backyard attacking his cat, according to Clark County Common Pleas Court documents. During the call, he reportedly told dispatchers that the dogs belonged to his neighbor and threatened to kill the dogs if police didn’t show up soon The cat died during the attack, according to court records. >> Read more trending news  Minutes later, a neighbor, Lisa Marie Everhart, called 911 and said a man identified as Sagraves reportedly broke into her home and hit her dog in the head with a wooden bat. She was visibly upset, as well as her young children, who were screaming and crying, according to a court affidavit. Everhart was charged with a misdemeanor for failing to confine her dogs.
  • President Donald Trump took to Twitter on Saturday to slam The New York Times for its report that the United States has increased cyberattacks on Russia's power grid. >> Read more trending news  'Do you believe that the Failing New York Times just did a story stating that the United States is substantially increasing Cyber Attacks on Russia,' Trump tweeted shortly after 9 p.m. Saturday. 'This is a virtual act of Treason by a once great paper so desperate for a story, any story, even if bad for our Country.' He continued: 'ALSO, NOT TRUE! Anything goes with our Corrupt News Media today. They will do, or say, whatever it takes, with not even the slightest thought of consequence! These are true cowards and without doubt, THE ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE!' >> See the tweets here Earlier Saturday, the newspaper, citing 'current and former government officials,' reported that the U.S. 'is stepping up digital incursions into Russia's electric power grid.'  The news comes at least seven years after U.S. officials began putting 'reconnaissance probes' in Russia's grid, the Times reported. 'But now the American strategy has shifted more toward offense, officials say, with the placement of potentially crippling malware inside the Russian system at a depth and with an aggressiveness that had never been tried before,' the Times reported, adding that the move is part-warning, part-preparation for launching U.S. attacks 'if a major conflict' with Russia develops. Two unnamed officials with the Trump administration said they did not think the president had received detailed briefings about the U.S. implants in the Russian electric system, according to the Times.  Officials have hesitated to give him the details over worries that he might divulge information to foreign officials or react unfavorably, sources told the Times. Read more here.
  • Its going to be a busy day in Central Florida this Tuesday as Orlando prepares for President Trump's arrival and re-election rally at the Amway Center. As expected, there will be both supporters and protesters who show up to this event. In anticipation of this rally, some protesters have launched a Go Fund Me campaign to bring what they call a V.I.P.( or very important protester) to Orlando's Win With Love Rally.  They are hoping to raise $3,500 to bring the Baby Trump balloon to Orlando. You may remember this balloon was flown over London back in July of 2018 in protest while President Trump made a visit to the United Kingdom.  The funds will not only cover the costs to transport, set up, anchor, and staff the balloon, but also to cover interpretation and Real Time Captioning services for those who are hard of hearing and for non English monolingual speakers.  You can see the funds that have been raised so far here. You can also find out more information about the anti-Trump rally on Facebook here.
  • The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating a deputy involved shooting Saturday morning that put a man in the hospital. They say at 1 a.m., Osceola County deputies found an abandoned black 2016 Dodge Ram parked on the shoulder of Poinciana Boulevard near the intersection by Reeves Road. The car reportedly still had the keys in the ignition. After further investigation, they found a man, identified as 41 year old Zachary Aaron Dollar hiding in the wooded area on the northbound side of the Boulevard.  Police say Dollar hid behind a concrete telephone pole and then ran out aggressively towards the deputy. After failing multiple commands from the deputy to stop, that's when Dollar was shot in the abdomen by the deputy. After he was hit, he then began to obey and deputies were able to help him. An opened folding knife was reportedly found in the area that the deputy met Dollar.  So far, Dollar's injuries are non-life threatening and the empty car is registered in Dollar's name. The deputy involved in the shooting is on administrative while with pay as the FDLE continues their investigation.
  • The wait is finally over! Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure, the latest addition to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal's Islands of Adventure is now open. The ride made its debut on Thursday, with some fans claiming they had to wait up to 10 hours just for a chance to ride it.  The 300 million dollar attraction certainly has a lot to cater to fans of the franchise. The ride takes you on a journey through the Forbidden Forest and allows you to encounter some creatures that are both seen and never been seen in the films. It also takes you backwards and forward with speeds up to 50 miles per hour and a free fall that feels like a 17 foot drop.  However, reactions on social media have been mixed:   Some people on social media say that the park offered free water and allowed people to save their place in line as they used the bathroom. Since Friday, the park has begun using a virtual queue in its official park app so goers wont have to wait in massive lines. They will simply be notified on their phone when its time to go back in line. However, during Friday's run, riders experienced mid-way stops and a nearly 3 hour maintenance delay.  Long wait times continue to stretch up to 8 hours throughout Father's Day weekend and are expected to remain so for a while. Park leaders warn people who attend that it may reach capacity before the end of the day, so its always best to arrive early to try and get a spot in line.

Washington Insider

  • NBC News and the Democratic National Committee unveiled the lineups for the first two night debate in late June, setting the stage for the first group face off of the large Democratic field for 2020, with three top candidates getting paired together on the second night. The first night - Wednesday June 26 - features Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), while former Vice President Joe Biden, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigeg, and Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA) are grouped together on Thursday. Here are the lineups as announced Friday by NBC News, which is hosting this first debate in Miami. The lineup means that four of the top five candidates - in terms of overall polling right now among Democrats - will be in the second debate, with Warren the only one of those leaders going on Wednesday.