A new video has surfaced of Parkland, Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz, 19, getting into a fight with other students while attending Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. It’s one of at least five fights Cruz is believed to have been involved in while as a student.
The video from September 20, 2016 shows Cruz, wearing a white T-shirt, pushing and shoving a couple of students in the school’s courtyard. He was suspended after the incident and eventually transferred to a different school the following year.
According to Local 10 News, the Broward County Sheriff’s Office received about 20 complaints about Cruz over the past few years but many of the neighbors say their concerns went ignored.
"This kid, in his own way, was screaming out in every way the mind knows how to scream out,” Howard Finkelstein, Cruz's court-appointed lawyer, said. “He did everything including saying, 'I want to go and shoot people in school.' I don't know what you can do more than that to get somebodies attention.”
Cruz is being described as an extremely troubled young man with a history of red flags, from posting disturbing photos holding guns on Instagram to cutting himself in a video on Snapchat.
"Mr. Cruz was on Snapchat cutting both of his arms," the Florida DCF abuse hotline was told in August 2016. "Mr. Cruz has fresh cuts on both his arms. Mr. Cruz stated he plans to go out and buy a gun."
The agency investigated and came to the conclusion that found him “to be stable enough not to be hospitalized.”
In September last year, a YouTube vlogger reported to the FBI that someone with the user name Nikolas Cruz had left a comment under one of his videos that said “I’m going to be a professional school shooter.”
On January 5, 2018, someone called the FBI tipline, warning them about Cruz. The caller told the FBI about Cruz’s disturbing social media posts, his obsession with guns and his strange behavior. The bureau said in a statement that the information should’ve been assessed as a potential threat and sent over to the FBI’s Miami office for further investigation. That didn’t happen.
Seventeen people were murdered on February 14 when Cruz walked into his former high school armed with an AR-15 and went on a shooting rampage.