Orlando, Fla. - If you've stepped outside of your door recently, then surely you have seen a swarm of teeny flying insects we Floridians have come to know as love bugs. Well anyone can tell you that they don't like the unwelcome visitors, especially when their guts are splattered all over your car.
Rather than constantly spending money on a car wash, here are some useful tips for you to keep them away and keep your car clean if they do end up all over it. Keep in mind that these are not universal solutions to the bug problem, but they should be effective at reducing their numbers near you.
To keep the love bugs away or get rid of them in or around your home:
- Spray your front door with all natural inspect spray. That will keep them away or at least leave em on the floor, if you know what I mean.
- Create your own insect spray. Mix warm water with a citrus smelling detergent like orange or lemon dish soap along with a splash of mouthwash and shake well in a spray bottle. This will help keep them off your plants and walls.
- Suck them up with a vacuum cleaner.
- Keep up to date on mowing the lawn so they won't get attracted to the dead leaves and debris. Also watering it will make it harder for them to lay their eggs.
- Wear dark colored clothes.
If they are all over your car, here is what you do:
- Wet the hood with water, take some dryer sheets that you can get from places like Wal-Mart and then gently start scrubbing it. It should come right off. Then rinse it off with water.
- A wet cloth dipped in baking soda won't damage your paintwork.
- Some good ole fashioned WD-40 will help with the cleaning job.
-If possible, get a filter screen on your car grill so they won't get into the radiator.
These solutions should make your lives a bit easier and keep your pockets full until its time for these guys to move on.