On Air Now

Listen Now

Weather

clear-day
80°
Clear
H 88° L 69°
  • clear-day
    80°
    Current Conditions
    Clear. H 88° L 69°
  • clear-night
    70°
    Morning
    Clear. H 88° L 69°
  • cloudy-day
    85°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 89° L 71°
Listen
Pause
Error

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Local
2 men drown while fishing at Seminole County lake
Close

2 men drown while fishing at Seminole County lake

2 men drown while fishing at Seminole County lake

2 men drown while fishing at Seminole County lake

The Seminole County Sheriff's Office said two men drowned while fishing at a lake near Apopka Thursday evening.

Investigators said the bodies were discovered after a canoe was found submerged at Border Lake.

 

 

 

Deputies said someone noticed a truck that had been near a boat for an extended period of time. A resident told Channel 9 that the truck had been parked there since last week.

"We see boats and little canoes down there, but they're not down there for long," said Diana Holland. "They're usually down there for a couple hours and they're gone."

Victim information has not yet been released. 

Officials do not suspect any foul play is involved. 

DOWNLOAD: Free WFTV News & Weather Apps

Not near a TV? Click here to watch WFTV newscasts live

Watch Live: Doppler 9 HD 

Read More

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • A former Disney Cruise Line employee is set to face trial this month after he reportedly fondled a 10 year old boy while working onboard the Disney Magic. According to the Miami Herald, 25 year old 'youth host' Oliver Lovatt of Manchester, England, was arrested this past spring and charged with two counts of lewd and lascivious battery on children under the age of 16.  A police report shows that Lovatt was working in the ship's Oceaneer Lab, which is an activity center that serves kids between the ages of 3 and 12. Detectives say back in April, as part of an activity, Lovatt placed a blindfold on a 10 year old boy, during which he allegedly 'fondled the victim's penis outside of the clothing'. The victim claims that Lovatt sat next to him during another activity, and as he moved 'his hands towards him', the boy reportedly covered his private parts, worried that Lovatt may try to fondle him again. The arrest report then says that 'the defendant proceed to place his hand over the victim's hand, attempting to fondle his penis again.'  Police say Lovatt 'confessed to fondling' the boy since the incident was captured on security cameras. In a statement, Disney Cruise Line spokeswoman Kim Prunty said 'When we became aware of the allegation, it was reported to law enforcement and the crew member was removed from duty permanently.' She also added that the company has 'zero tolerance for this type of unacceptable behavior.'  Lovatt's trial is scheduled for October 28th in Miami Dade County. Police are also reaching out to the public to see if there are any more potential victims. Anyone with more information on this case can called the Miami Dade Special Victims Bureau at 305-715-3300 or Miami Dade CrimeStopper at 305-471-8477.
  • The first of two trials for Markeith Lloyd continued Saturday in Orange County. Lloyd faces a first degree murder charge in the death of his pregnant ex girlfriend, Sade Dixon. A later trial will be held for the murder of Orlando police Lt. Debra Clayton, whom prosecutors say he shot to avoid capture. Court opened at 9 a.m. with arguments from both sides about a juror who was questioned for lying about her employment at Publix. The state also discovered that the juror had previously been involved in a domestic violence incident as a teenager, and as a result, the juror was dismissed. The juror in this case was an African American female and was replaced by an African American male. The judge noted that this does not change the racial composition of the jury, but that it does change the gender composition.  The first witness to testify was Takeisha Bryant, whose cousin was married to Markeith Lloyd. She testified about going to Walmart to get a jacket for her daughter. She says she noticed Lloyd in line and told an officer who was leaving that he was there. She later said that she heard the officer tell Lloyd to get on the ground, and when he refused, they both drew their guns, and she got on the ground. She added that when the shooting was over, she got back up and Lloyd was nowhere to be seen. Bryant was not cross-examined.  The next witness was Brian Striby, a Walmart employee who was at the store on January 9th, 2017. He said that he was in the parking when he heard an officer yelling and he noticed Lloyd was trying to run around a pillar in what appeared to be an attempt to avoid the officer, but did not do so. That's when Striby says Lloyd pulled out his gun and started shooting. As Striby was being cross examined, the defense attorney asked about pending criminal charges that he was facing at the time, as well as his original interview, in which he says that he was unsure who fired first. During his testimony he said 'What do you want from me, man?' He also says he was not offered a deal for his charges to testify in the trial.  Orlando Police Department crime scene investigator Karen Livengood also took the stand. Livengood says she found eight 9 mm casings in the area, along with eight 40 mm casings. She says the 9 mm casings would have belonged to Clayton's police issued gun and that Lloyd allegedly had a .40 caliber handgun.  The defense asked about a mysterious bullet that was found 'on the other side of the Walmart.' However, Livengood said that since another detective found it, he would have to speak about it.  Orange County Sheriff Detective Charles Ashworth testified about capturing Lloyd at the abandoned house where he was hiding after the death of Clayton. He testified that a loaded .40 caliber handgun was found in the front yard of the house.  The final witness of the day was Richard Ruth, who worked for the FDLE as lab analyst for firearms during the incidents. He described how he figures out if a bullet is unloaded from a specific gun, and in this case, he held the gun found in the yard of Sade Dixon's house. This was found at the time of her death. Ruth noted that since no rounds from the scene matched to the gun, she never fired it. Ruth was also given the handgun that investigators say belonged to Lloyd. He said he believed that the cartridge casings that were found at Dixon's home and at the Walmart were the ones that were fired from the handgun.  The jury was then dismissed for the day ahead of schedule and will resume the trial Monday at 9 a.m..
  • The most anticipated event of Pride Week is about to go down in downtown Orlando at Lake Eola. This Saturday is the Come Out with Pride Festival, which features a marketplace, two entertainment stages for performers, and of course, a parade and fireworks. The free event itself starts at noon with stuff going on all around the lake. The marketplace will showcase both businesses and organizations that support the LGBTQ community, as well as a kickoff launch party at the Stonewall Bar. There will also be events at the Kids Fringe Rainbow Ranch, including Bubble Fun, Rainbow Dance and Storytime with a Drag Queen. In regards to the entertainment stages, among the performers are Brazillian pop star Pabllo Vittar and Broadway star Jennifer Holliday.  At 4 p.m., the Most Colorful Parade will begin, which will feature over 100 groups that span a one mile route around Lake Eola.  Finally, at 9 p.m., the evening will end with a signature fireworks show, which will mark the end of Come Out with Pride 2019.  Due to the size of the event and the amount of people that are expected to attend, there will be road closures that last all weekend. Here they are  - Magnolia Avenue is closed from Robinson Street to Concord until 7 p.m.  - Rosalind Avenue will be closed from South Street to Robinson until 7:30 pm.  - Summerlin Avenue will be closed from Central Boulevard to Robinson Street until 8 p.m.  - Central Boulevard is closed from Rosalind to Summerlin Avenue until 9 p.m.  - Eola Drive will closed until midnight between Robinson and Washington Street.  - Robinson Street is closed between Rosalind Avenue and Summerlin until Sunday at 2 a.m.  For the complete list of events going on at the Come Out with Pride Festival, click here: https://comeoutwithpride.com/festival/ 
  • A woman who shot and killed a popular street performer outside the H.E. Holmes MARTA station three years ago is headed to prison.  >> Read more trending news  Lucianna Fox, 44, fatally shot 54-year-old Leroy Midyette in Nov. 5, 2016, after running over the homeless man’s shopping cart twice. Midyette, who performed outside the train station, was affectionately known as “Tin Man” because of the silver paint he wore when he danced, the Fulton County District Attorney’s Office said Friday in a news release. The night of the shooting, Fox got mad at Midyette as he pushed his belongings across an access road that led into the parking lot of the Holmes station, authorities said. Fox told him to move his cart out of the road and Midyette motioned for the woman to drive around.Instead, Fox slammed into Midyette’s cart, threw her car in reverse and rammed it again before driving off. Upset, Midyette ran toward Fox’s car as she waited at a nearby stop sign and confronted her. Fox then got out of her car, drew a silver handgun and shot the homeless man in the chest from about 2 feet away, prosecutors said. She then set her weapon on the hood of her car and waited for police to arrive as Midyette died in the street. The entire incident was captured on MARTA’s surveillance cameras, and Fox was arrested at the scene, authorities said. She was convicted of murder and possessing a firearm during the commission of a felony and sentenced to life in prison plus five years. 
  • Court documents filed against an Indianapolis man accused of violently assaulting his mother with a cast iron frying pan last month give gruesome details of how badly the woman was beaten. Bobby Wayne Gibson Jr., 44, is charged with attempted murder, aggravated battery, battery resulting in serious bodily injury, strangulation and auto theft, according to Marion County court records. A judge last week ordered him held in lieu of a $90,000 surety bond. Gibson was also ordered to stay away from his mother, for whom an order of protection was granted, court records show. >> Read more trending news  Gibson was arrested Sept. 25 after an anonymous tip led police to a vacant home, where he told officers his mother had given him her car, a silver Chevy Malibu, to sell for drugs, WRTV in Indianapolis reported. Fox 59 reported that a SWAT standoff earlier in the day, which included tear gas and flash grenades, had failed to turn up the fugitive. Gibson had been on the run since the day before, when police officers went to his mother’s home and found her unresponsive and covered in blood, according to a probable cause affidavit obtained by WRTV. The woman was taken to the hospital in critical condition. According to the affidavit, her injuries included “multiple skull and facial fractures, three lacerations in the head that penetrated to the skull, exposed brain matter due to a hole in the skull, four deep lacerations to the chest and a collapsed lung.” Her condition was not immediately available Friday afternoon. Detectives who went to her home found blood spattered throughout the kitchen and living room, along with “broken glass, broken kitchen utensils and a bloody cast-iron frying pan with a broken handle,” the document said. Blood was on the carpet, the telephone and the walls in both rooms. Gibson’s mother, who was able to speak to detectives at the hospital, told them an argument began when she spotted a bottle of vodka in her son’s pocket and told him he was not allowed to drink in her home, WRTV reported. She told police she poured the vodka out and told her son, who has a criminal record, “The court needs to do something with you.” “You wanna lock me up? I’m gonna give you something to lock me up,” she said Gibson responded, according to the affidavit. The victim told detectives Gibson attacked her, choking her until she lost consciousness. When she came to, he was beating and kicking her and hitting her with pots and pans from the kitchen, the news station reported. Gibson demanded her purse, so she told him where it was, and he left in her car, WRTV reported. A silver car could be seen in photos taken by a Fox 59 reporter during the Sept. 25 SWAT situation on the city’s south side. Authorities at the scene told the news station Gibson had forced his way into the home, where his wife was staying. She fled the house and called 911, Fox 59 reported. When the tear gas and flash grenades failed to get anyone to come outside, officers went in and found the house empty, the news station said. Gibson was taken into custody a few hours later.

Washington Insider

  • With higher tariffs originally scheduled to kick in Tuesday on imported goods from China now on hold, U.S. and Chinese negotiators still need to flesh out the details of a trade deal announced Friday at the White House, as President Donald Trump expressed optimism that the plan would be 'phase one' of a broader trade agreement. 'We have a great deal. We're papering it now,' the President told reporters on Friday. 'Over the next three or four or five weeks, hopefully it'll get finished.' 'I mean, it's an incredible deal for farmers. I think they'll have to go out and buy more land and buy bigger tractors,' Mr. Trump added, as officials said China had agreed to buy between $40 billion and $50 billion in U.S. agricultural products. But other than those ball park figures on farm purchases, there were few details offered by either side on what was agreed, as the U.S. Trade Representative's office put out no statement or specifics on the agreement. In Washington, the announcement drew immediate praise from Republican lawmakers from farm states, who have watched nervously from the sidelines as the U.S. raised tariffs to 25 percent on many Chinese goods, and China retaliated by reducing purchases of American agricultural products. 'This is excellent news, and I look forward to reviewing the specifics,' said Sen. Kevin Cramer (R-ND). 'I’m encouraged by the progress announced on the China trade deal,' said Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI). 'I hope it can be concluded expeditiously.' 'Glad to see this great progress,' tweeted Rep. Roger Marshall (R-KS). 'President Trump’s announcement to postpone the tariff hike is welcome news for American businesses, farmers, and consumers,' said Myron Brilliant, a top official with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. But others pointed out that the progress made this past week in trade talks did not erase the tariffs and trade barriers already in place against American products, as China has reduced its purchases of U.S. products during this trade fight with President Trump. The agreement 'is a break in the clouds, but tariffs continue to cast a pall over the futures of farmers, ranchers and rural America,' said Brian Kuehl with the group Farmers for Free Trade. It wasn't immediately clear when a broader deal would be finished, or signed. 'We’re at point where tariffs have continually escalated since basically spring of 2018 and I think both sides want to see if they can find a way out of this,' said David Salmonsen, the top Washington lobbyist for the American Farm Bureau Federation. 'So, we’re encouraged that this is going on.