ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

clear-day
83°
Sct Thunderstorms
H 93° L 75°
  • clear-day
    83°
    Current Conditions
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 93° L 75°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    88°
    Afternoon
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 93° L 75°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    81°
    Evening
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 90° L 75°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Latest from Katrina Scales

    President Trump continues his public criticism of House democrats Ayanna Pressley, Rashida Tlaib, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Ilhan Omar. He tweets, “The “Squad” is a very Racist group of troublemakers who are young, inexperienced, and not very smart. They are pulling the once great Democrat Party far left, and were against humanitarian aid at the Border...And are now against ICE and Homeland Security. So bad for our Country!” These comments come after President Trump last week said those four freshman House Democrats should 'go back to the crime infested places' from which they came. This also comes after a crowd at a Trump campaign rally in North Carolina chanted 'send her back.
  • The Orlando Police Department is looking to identify two persons of interest in a carjacking near Camping World Stadium Tuesday. Surveillance footage shows the two males suspects crossing South Orange Blossom Trail near South Street. App users tap here to see the surveillance video. If you recognize them, call OPD at 407-246-2918 or call Central Florida Crimeline at 800-423-8477.
  • The Washington Monument became the Apollo 11 rocket Tuesday night in honor of the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 launch. The monumental column was lit up or 17 minutes projecting a re-creation of the Saturn V Rocket with the Kennedy Space Center countdown clock, CNN reported.  The projection-mapping artwork occupied 363 of the monument's 555 vertical feet. It will be projected again tonight and tomorrow. On Friday and Saturday, the semi-centennial show will switch to a 17-minute film that re-creates the Apollo 11 launch.
  • State corrections officials are investigating after a video posted to YouTube shows a group of officers beating an inmate on the lawn of a Lake County prison. The video was shot by an unidentified inmate who says in the background, 'this is why we're in fear of our life.' He identified some of the officers at Lake Correctional Institution by name and rank.  App users, see YouTube video HERE. Department of Corrections Secretary Mark Inch said in a statement Saturday night that the video was 'deeply disturbing' and that their inspector general's office had launched an investigation.  Inch said the officers involved in the incident 'have been taken out of contact with inmates' and will not return to full duty until an investigation is completed. He said those found participating in abuse could face administrative and criminal charges.  He said the inmate will be relocated to another facility.
  • A jet that took off from Kennedy Space Center Tuesday is hoping to break a record today.  Former NASA astronaut Terry Virts will attempt to fly around the world in less than 48 hours.  Virts and his crew wants to set a round-the-world speed record for any aircraft flying over the North and South Poles.  The time to beat: 52 hours and 32 minutes—a record set in 2008.  The 25,000 mile mission, called One More Orbit, pays tribute to the start of the historic Apollo 11 mission to the moon. You can track the flight on FlightRadar24.com.
  • If an $80 Publix coupon circulating social media right now sounds too good to be true...that’s because it is. The link to the fake coupon takes you to a three question survey with the Publix logo on top.  At the end of the survey, it says you've won an $80 coupon and prompts you to share it on Facebook.  A similar fake coupon picture on social media says its celebrating the store’s 75th anniversary.  This September, Publix will ACTUALLY be celebrating 89 years since the opening of its first store in Winter Haven.  The company said yesterday that the coupon is not valid and not supported by Publix.  This particular scam has circulated several times in the past few years.
  • Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-CA) is reportedly set to end his presidential campaign. According to the LA Times, Swalwell will abandon his campaign on Monday and announce that he’ll be running for a fifth term as a congressman. Swalwell, who consistently trailed the polls at 1 percent or less, is the first to drop out from the mammoth Democratic field of more than 20 candidates.
  • A Florida zoo is welcoming two rock hyrax pups. Brevard Zoo in Melbourne said in an email that Turnip and Radish were born on Wednesday. Zoo officials say they don't yet know the sex of the pups yet and zoo guests won't be able to see them. The zoo considers them as ambassador animals and would only be brought out for educational programs. Rock hyraxes weigh around 8 pounds (3.6 kilograms) as adults. Zoo officials say rock hyraxes are the closest living relatives to elephants and manatees. The species is typically found in rocky habitats throughout Africa and the Arabian Peninsula. Human hunting has led to population decline in some areas. Turnip and Radish join siblings Gnocchi and Hashbrown, who were born last year to parents Buffy and Fangs.
  • Two accused teenage car thieves are in jail. Deputies say they were speeding in a stolen Mustang in Flagler and Volusia counties, ditched the car and tried to get away on foot. Deputies said Hollins Mills, 19, and  a 15-year-old were arrested early Friday morning after being tracked by a sheriff's helicopter and Volusia Sheriff’s K-9 Endo to the backyard of a home on West Lake Victoria Circle in DeLand. Video released by deputies shows the two inside the pool as deputies moved in to make an arrest. App users see that video HERE. Both have been charged with grand theft of a motor vehicle and burglary, officials said.
  • Conspiracy theorists got excited in Florida after a mysterious flying object resembling an orange fireball streaked across the sky. The Palm Beach Sheriff's office joined the fun, tweeting that there was no Martian invasion.  App users see video here. The Center for Astrophysics has a more logical explanation: It was a Chinese rocket, breaking up and burning as it reentered the Earth's atmosphere.  Astrophysicist Jonathan McDowell says lots of space junk is being tracked in orbit, and this reentry was expected.
  • Katrina Scales

    Reporter

    Katrina Scales is a reporter for News 96.5 WDBO. After graduating from Florida Atlantic University, she moved back to central Florida to be an intern at WDBO and was later hired as an afternoon reporter in December 2018. A native of Merritt Island, she most enjoys covering space news and local government.

    Read More

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • Oviedo Mayor Dominic Persampiere announced that he will not seek reelection today, after more than 20 years in city government. Persampiere said the decision is because he wants to spend more time with his family, and work on growing his business. Previously, he had served as an Oviedo city councilman before running for mayor. He’s been serving as Mayor since 2011.  Two months ago, Persampiere was involved in a dispute with a neighbor that led to police involvement, but a judge dismissed an injunction filed against him.
  • Disney World is hiring part-time workers to operate it's Disney Skyliner, set to debut in late September. The new transportation system will connect Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios and four nearby resort hotels.  Skyliner workers will be responsible for greeting guests, loading and unloading the gondolas, as well as, monitoring the gondola system and providing audience control, according to a job posting.  The starting pay will be $12 an hour according to the posting, but Skyliner workers will be eligible for Disney's new starting rate of $13 as of September 29, 2019  Click here to apply
  • Aaron Carreto was enjoying his 10th birthday, playing outside his Compton home on July 6 when two neighbors tossed a lit, homemade firework at him, his family said. The boy reflexively grabbed the illegal firework, which exploded in his left hand, destroying four fingers and most of his palm, the Los Angeles Times reported. Aaron also lost a finger on his right hand and suffered burns on both hands, his face and his torso. One of the neighbors, Walter David Revolorio, 27, was arrested and charged with felony child cruelty and possession of a destructive device, the Times reported. The investigation is ongoing, but no charges had been filed against a second neighbor as of Monday. Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department officials had no immediate comment on the status of the investigation. Aaron told Fox 11 in Los Angeles he was playing outside in his neighborhood when he walked over to the neighbors to say hello. At one point, the men called out his name. “They said my name, and then I turned and my hand flipped over, so that’s when they handed the firework to me,” Aaron said. “I was about to throw it and it exploded in my hand.” The explosion was so great, it rocked nearby cars, Fox 11 reported. >> Read more trending news The Times reported that Aaron was immediately taken to Long Beach Memorial Medical Center, where he underwent a series of emergency surgeries. Doctors at UC Irvine Medical Center attached his left arm to his stomach to hopefully preserve nerve and skin tissue they can use to reconstruct his hand. Aaron’s older sister, Adriana Carreto, said doctors also reattached the finger her brother lost on his right hand. Carreto wrote on a GoFundMe page set up to help with Aaron’s medical expenses that he has a long recovery ahead, including at least two additional surgeries. Photos and video of the boy on the fundraising page, as well as on social media, show him with burns on his face and his left arm hidden under a hospital gown. Pain is etched on the boy’s face. “This incident changed his life, (his) way of living, but not his spirits,” Carreto wrote. “Everyone knows him as a social butterfly, always friendly to his teammates on the soccer team. He’s very caring and aware of other people’s needs.” Carreto wrote that her brother loves riding his bike with neighborhood friends and playing the popular online video game 'Fortnite' with classmates over their summer break. “Now with his new disability, he’ll find it difficult to adjust to his day to day lifestyle,” Carreto wrote. As of Monday afternoon, donors had raised more than $47,000 of the page's $50,000 goal to help Aaron and his family. Carreto said along with the physical pain her brother is in, he is also psychologically scarred. “He tells his family how he feels betrayed by those people around us and wants to start a new life far away from where he grew up,” Carreto wrote on the GoFundMe page. As of Monday, Aaron had been released from the hospital to continue his recovery at home. “I been reading all the positive and kind words to Aaron from his donors and he said he appreciates all the help and support,” Carreto wrote. “He said he feels happy with each and every one of you guys.” The distraught sister told ABC 7 she, however, is angry. “I’m angry because those two guys are adults and one of them has kids,” Carreto told the news station. “I’m pretty sure if it was his kid, he wouldn’t have let that happen.” Aaron told KTLA he wants to see both men punished for what they did to him. “Those guys who did this, I don’t want to see them no more,” Aaron told the news station. “I just wish that they could be in jail.” Revolorio remained Monday at the Los Angeles County Jail, where records show he is being held in lieu of $630,000 bond. The second neighbor accused in the incident has not been publicly identified.
  • President Trump continues his public criticism of House democrats Ayanna Pressley, Rashida Tlaib, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Ilhan Omar. He tweets, “The “Squad” is a very Racist group of troublemakers who are young, inexperienced, and not very smart. They are pulling the once great Democrat Party far left, and were against humanitarian aid at the Border...And are now against ICE and Homeland Security. So bad for our Country!” These comments come after President Trump last week said those four freshman House Democrats should 'go back to the crime infested places' from which they came. This also comes after a crowd at a Trump campaign rally in North Carolina chanted 'send her back.
  • A California woman and her boyfriend have been charged in connection with their newborn son’s death after investigators learned they strangled the boy at the hospital shortly after he was born, authorities said. Andrea Torralba, 20, and David Villa, 21, both of Oxnard, are being held in the Ventura County Jail on suspicion of felony assault on a child causing death, Oxnard Police Department officials said. Jail records show Villa, who is described as a field worker, is being held in lieu of $5 million. ABC 7 in Los Angeles reported that Torralba’s bail was set at $1 million. >> Read more trending news  Oxnard police investigators said officers were called just before 8 a.m. Friday to St. John’s Medical Center, where they learned a newborn boy was in critical condition with serious injuries. The boy was found unresponsive and despite all medical efforts, he died of his injuries. Detectives from the department’s Family Protection Unit learned that Torralba and Villa strangled the newborn until he lost consciousness, police officials said. Oxnard police Sgt. Brandon Ordelheide told ABC 7 that the couple, when questioned by detectives, admitted they did not want the baby. Both were arrested and charged in the boy’s death.

Washington Insider

  • President Donald Trump and Democratic leaders in Congress agreed on Monday to a two-year budget plan which will increase spending in 2020 and 2021, and allow the national debt to go up for a two year period, while including little in the way of budget savings, continuing a trend of higher government spending and larger deficits under the Trump Administration. 'If this deal passes, President Trump will have increased discretionary spending by as much as 22 percent over his first term, and enshrine trillion-dollar deficits into law,' said Maya MacGuineas, head of the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, who labeled the deal a 'total abdication of fiscal responsibility.' The agreement includes only $77.4 billion in budget offsets to pay for an estimated $320 billion in extra spending over two years. While the President tweeted his support, joined by Congressional leaders in both parties, a handful of lawmakers said the deal made no sense, because it guaranteed more deficit spending. With the White House already forecasting deficits above $1 trillion for the next four years, this agreement would do nothing to ease that tide of red ink, which had dropped to $438 billion in 2015 - but has steadily increased over the past three years. 'With more than $22 trillion in debt, we simply cannot afford deals like this one,' said Rep. Mike Johnson (R-LA), the head of the conservative Republican Study Committee. 'It’s not too late to reject the Pelosi-Mnuchin spending deal and strike a better deal for all Americans that cuts spending,' argued Jessica Anderson, a former Trump budget official. But those voices have faded into the wilderness in recent years in the GOP, as deficits have steadily increased under President Trump. “It’s pretty clear that both houses of Congress and both parties have become big spenders, and Congress is no longer concerned about the extent of the budget deficits or the debt they add,” said the Club For Growth, which has seen its influence on Capitol Hill dwindle in recent years.