ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

clear-day
91°
Partly Cloudy
H 91° L 77°
  • clear-day
    91°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 91° L 77°
  • cloudy-day
    78°
    Morning
    Partly Cloudy. H 91° L 77°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    91°
    Afternoon
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 91° L 77°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Crime & Law
Former 'principal of the year' accused of sex with students
Close

Former 'principal of the year' accused of sex with students

Former Ohio ‘Principal of the Year’ Accused of Sex With Students

Former 'principal of the year' accused of sex with students

The 2015 Ohio “principal of the year” has been indicted on sex charges stemming from alleged relationships with students.

On Friday, a grand jury issued a summons to Chillicothe High School Principal Jeffrey Fisher, charging him with seven counts of sexual battery. The charges relate to two students — then 16 and 17 — who say the teacher had inappropriate contact with them. County Prosecutor Matt Schmidt told the Chillicothe Gazette that he didn’t want to get into the specifics of the charges, but the paper noted that sexual battery charges “include allegations of sexual intercourse.”

The investigation into Fisher began after an Aug. 16 meeting where school officials were informed of the allegations by the local department of family services.

>> Teacher accused of sex with students in cemetery sentenced

In a statement to the Gazette, Fisher’s attorney wrote, “We’ve been aware of these accusations for years, and we’ll be entering a not guilty plea.” He also asked for information from the public that might help exonerate the 35-year-old principal.

Schmidt says the relationships occurred during the 2009-10 and 2011-12 school years and that “certainly with at least one victim, phone records will show substantial telephone and text contact.”

On Friday, Superintendent Jon Saxton sent a letter to parents explaining the situation and saying that as soon as the allegations arose, Fisher was “reassigned” to work from home. He closed by saying it would be inappropriate to discuss the matter further, citing the ongoing case.

>> Teacher sentenced for sex with student claims victim lured her like 'used car salesman'

Fisher has reportedly been on Saxton’s radar for quite some time, and the superintendent has had multiple conversations with the principal about his behavior. In September 2015, the Chillicothe Gazette found that Saxton laid out a list of complaints, saying Fisher’s social media behavior may be crossing the line. In one letter, the superintendent wrote, “In our conversation, you did not seem to understand the importance of separating yourself from relationships with students via messaging and texts.”

A student allegedly told a member of the staff this year about the allegations, and the district released a screenshot of a text conversation in which one possible victim said she retained a lawyer to speak for her. It’s unclear who the parties in the message were, but one wrote, “She could hardly talk to me from crying and saying it’s been seven years trying to get over this.”

>> Read more trending news 

Although Fisher has taken down all his social media profiles, he previously had some eyebrow-raising interactions, the Gazette reported. On Twitter, he reportedly liked a former student’s post about turning 21 and being “sloshed.” On another occasion, he told a student that she was a “10/10," according to the Gazette.

He is scheduled to be arraigned on Nov. 21. His attorney says he will plead not guilty.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • Police in Osceola County have found two people dead inside a home south of Kissimmee Saturday night. Around 7 p.m., deputies found the two at the home on Meadow Oak Circle, about a mile and a half from Pleasant Hill Road and State Road 17.  No word yet on who the two victims are or how they died. This is an active investigation.
  • Nearly 400 people lost power after an alleged drunk driver crashed into a power pole in Colonialtown Sunday morning. It happened at 3:30 a.m. at North Forest Avenue and Virginia drive where officers responded to a traffic crash involving a car versus a pole. Orlando Utility Commission leaders say the crash took down an electric pole causing significant damage and power outage in the area.  According to the OUC website, power was able to be restored just before noon. Police say the driver has been arrested and faces a charge of driving under the influence. Police have not released the name of the driver.
  • The Orange County Sheriff’s Office is asking for the public’s help to identify a man who was found dead behind a Walgreens earlier this week. Deputies found the man’s moderately decomposed body behind the Walgreens at 13989 Landstar Blvd. on Monday, according to a release.  The man is about 5 feet 11 inches tall and weighed about 200 pounds. He was wearing a dark T-shirt and “skinny jeans” and black Nike tennis shoes.    The Sheriff’s Office released an image of the Nike shoes, hoping to develop a lead.  Anyone with information is urged to call the Orange County Sheriff’s Office at 407-836-4357.
  • An Alabama 13-year-old found dead in a wooded area last month was beheaded after she saw two men stab her grandmother to death, an investigator testified Thursday.  The grisly details of Mariah Lopez’s slaying came out during the preliminary hearing of Yoni Martinez Aguilar, AL.com reported. Aguilar, 26, and Israel Gonzalez Palomino, 34, are each charged with two counts of capital murder in the deaths of Lopez and her 49-year-old grandmother and legal guardian, Oralia Mendoza. Palomino is also charged with possession of methamphetamine.  Members of the middle schooler’s family wept as Investigator Stacy Rutherford testified about the details Aguilar, who was Mendoza’s live-in boyfriend, gave in a statement following his June 14 arrest.  Related story: Police: 13-year-old girl dead in ‘brutal’ killing, grandmother’s body also found According to AL.com, Aguilar told detectives that Mendoza was involved with the Sinaloa cartel, considered to be the world’s most powerful drug trafficking organization.  Rutherford testified that the defendant told investigators that he, Palomino, Mendoza and a woman named Leticia Garcia traveled June 2 to Norcross, Georgia, where they picked up a quarter kilo of meth for the cartel. Along the way, something went wrong and Palomino became suspicious that Mendoza and Garcia, who was also tied to the cartel, might be setting him up, Aguilar said in his statement.  WAAY in Huntsville reported that Rutherford testified that sometime after the group returned to Huntsville, Palomino learned that Mendoza had removed the SIM card from her cellphone. He also found a text she sent during the drug run to Georgia, in which she asked an unknown woman to pick up her granddaughter, who was with Palomino’s wife, because she feared that she and her granddaughter were in danger.  Early on June 4, the men woke Mendoza at their Huntsville home and told her that they were taking her and Lopez, who had special needs, somewhere safe, AL.com reported. Rutherford testified that they were instead taken to Moon Cemetery, located about 15 miles southeast of the city in Owens Cross Roads.  Palomino and Mendoza argued in the cemetery about the drug deal and Palomino stabbed the grandmother multiple times, leaving her for dead, Aguilar told investigators.  Lopez, who witnessed her grandmother’s slaying, was taken to a wooded area about 2½ miles from the cemetery, where Aguilar said Palomino forced him to kill the girl. Rutherford testified that Aguilar told investigators he was holding the knife when Palomino grabbed his arm and moved it back and forth in a “sawing motion,” with which the girl was beheaded.  Aguilar said he participated in the slayings out of fear.  “He said he was fearful of Israel,” Rutherford testified, according to AL.com.  >> Read more trending news The men left the teen’s body where she was killed and stopped to clean Palomino’s car, the detective said.  Mendoza was reported missing two days later by worried relatives, WAFF in Huntsville reported last month. Lopez’s body was found the following day. Madison County investigators released information describing the items the body was clothed in: red pajama pants with gingerbread men on them, as well as a pink undershirt and black tank top. The news release also indicated that the young victim had a cerebral shunt.  Lopez’s mother -- who is also Mendoza’s daughter -- showed up at the Madison County Sheriff’s Office a short time after the description was released and told investigators that the body might be that of her daughter, Sheriff’s Office officials said. Dental records provided a positive identification a week later.  Mendoza’s body was found at the cemetery June 15, after Aguilar gave his statement to investigators. She was also identified through dental records, Sheriff’s Office officials announced June 27.  Aside from Aguilar’s alleged confession, investigators have collected physical evidence they say links the men to the slayings -- including the suspected murder weapons. AL.com reported that Rutherford testified one knife was found under Palomino’s mattress and the other was found under Aguilar’s mattress.  Despite the men’s cleanup efforts, blood was also found in Palomino’s car, the investigator said.  Both men’s cellphones also “pinged” in the area of the killings during that time frame, the news site said.  The slayings shocked the community, particularly those at Challenger Middle School, where Lopez was a student. The school’s Parent-Teacher Association last month set up a memorial account to help her family pay for her and her grandmother’s funerals. “No one is prepared to lose a child or other relative at such young ages,” a statement from the PTA said. “With the untimely passing of two family members, one can imagine the mounting costs of funeral and burial expenses that the family faces in addition to the unparalleled grief that is felt as well.” The “Mariah Lopez and Oralia Mendoza Memorial Account” was established at Wells Fargo, with donations set to go directly to the funeral home.  “Anything in excess of those costs will be given to the immediate family to assist with other expenses and needs,” the PTA statement said.  Lt. Donny Shaw, a Sheriff’s Office spokesman, last month credited the community with helping to quickly bring the search for Lopez’s and Mendoza’s killers to an end.  “For a murder where there were no indications, no witnesses, nothing to lean on when we began with it, the Hispanic community, the partners, the media, we’ve been able to do a phenomenal thing in just a little over seven days by coming to the arrests of two individuals,” Shaw told WAFF.  Both Aguilar and Palomino are being held without bail in the Madison County Jail. Palomino is also being detained on a hold for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.  His preliminary hearing in the case is scheduled for Monday. 
  • Police in Orlando are investigating after a teen was shot and found outside the Florida Hospital Saturday evening. At 10:03 p.m. India Units responded to Orlando Regional Medical Center to investigate a shooting. While at Florida Hospital, Orlando Fire Department Rescue 7 noticed a white, 4 door sedan pull up next to their truck in the parking lot.  They then heard a knock on their truck door, but chose to ignore it. After the sedan pulled away, they found a 17 year old Hispanic male outside the door with multiple gunshot wounds to his hip and knees.  He was taken to ORMC for treatment where deputies met up with him. Initially, he refused to cooperate, not giving any details of what led to the shooting. However, afterwards, he said that he was shot by unknown people while at the Englewood Center's basketball court just hours before that.  Police are investigating the area to find any additional information.