MANCHESTER, N.H. - A New Hampshire woman is demanding an apology and raising questions about the cleanliness of a Manchester McDonald’s after she says her son became covered in human waste in the playpen.
Justina Whitmore said that when she let her son play, she knew he may be covered in germs, but she never imagined her 5-year-old would emerge from the yellow slide covered in another child’s waste.
Gabriel said he was playing tag with another child, who apparently had a soiled diaper.
“It was because he went down the slide first,” he said. “And then I couldn’t help it, and it went all over me.”
But it’s what happened after the incident that the mother finds even more outrageous.
She said there was no soap in the bathroom, and when she asked employees for help, she said they just laughed at her.
“I went over to the counter and said, ‘Are you going to give me any paper towels or anything to help clean my son off?' and they were just laughing and arguing about who should clean it up.”
For 10 minutes, Whitmore said she was pleading for assistance, only to have employees ignore her and take smoke breaks or act like a child.
“I was at that point just using my bare hands and ... using his left sock to scrape it off his skin,” Whitmore said.
Her friend started taking video when things got heated.
Whitmore shared the encounter on Facebook. It’s now been shared more than 4,500 times, raising questions about the cleanliness of the fast-food favorite.
“I’m sure employees go to the bathroom,” Whitmore said. “There’s no soap. How are they washing their hands?”
Because her son has eczema, she had to take him to the emergency room to get checked out after the incident.
She said she just wants an apology but hasn’t heard from the owner.
WFXT received a statement from the owner, Michael Gambino, who said, “The safety and well-being of our customers are our top priorities. We are investigating the situation and will take any appropriate measures to address.”