ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

clear-day
83°
Sct Thunderstorms
H 93° L 75°
  • clear-day
    83°
    Current Conditions
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 93° L 75°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    88°
    Afternoon
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 93° L 75°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    81°
    Evening
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 90° L 75°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Latest from Tony Marino

    Disney World is hiring part-time workers to operate it's Disney Skyliner, set to debut in late September. The new transportation system will connect Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios and four nearby resort hotels.  Skyliner workers will be responsible for greeting guests, loading and unloading the gondolas, as well as, monitoring the gondola system and providing audience control, according to a job posting.  The starting pay will be $12 an hour according to the posting, but Skyliner workers will be eligible for Disney's new starting rate of $13 as of September 29, 2019  Click here to apply
  • A 48 year old woman has been charged with DUI manslaughter for a crash that killed a toddler on a family bicycle ride.  According to the Altamonte Springs Police Department, Shona Wallace, was arrested and charged in connection with with a crash June 2 on State Road 414.   The Zisa family was on a bike ride to help 17-month-old Adalyn fall asleep when deputies say a car jumped the curb and struck the trio, killing the toddler and seriously injuring her parents.   In addition to DUI manslaughter, Wallace is also charged with DUI with serious bodily injury, possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.
  • A fire, possibly ignited by lightning, destroyed a home near Windermere Thursday afternoon. Orange County Fire Rescue said the blaze was reported shortly after 4:30 p.m. at a home on Butler Bay Court near McKinnon and Windermere roads.  There were multiple reports of lightening in the area as thunderstorms passed over western Orange County.  According to firefighters, Flames engulfed 75 percent of the home.  The family who lives there was not home at the time, but a dog inside was rescued from the fire, according to investigators.
  • A Volusia County inmate has been charged with making threats to blow up several key sites including the White House and the Orlando airport. Deputies said Ethan Russell, 18, handed a correctional officer hand written notes about his intent to make bombs and join terrorist organizations such as ISIS or Al-Qaeda. Records show the letter mentioned seven targets including the Orlando International Airport, the White House, the Capitol Building, Daytona International Speedway, the Pentagon, the DeLand courthouse and the 'Magic stadium.'  Russell's mother said her son suffers from mental disorders and often lies to make himself seem more interesting.  Russell was already in jail on an previous charges of attempted armed burglary after a witness saw him attempting to break into a Deltona home.  Investigators at the time, said Russell was carrying seven large kitchen knives, a green mask and a pair of gloves.  He now faces an additional charge of written threat to kill or commit an act of terrorism.
  • After two days of deliberation, a jury on Thursday recommended life in prison without the possibility of parole for convicted killer Scott Nelson. Nelson who told the jury earlier in the week that he wished to be executed, previously admitted to the kidnapping and murder of Winter Park nanny Jennifer Fulford.  A juror told our news partner, Eyewitness Channel 9, that she believed the decision came down to one juror who refused to vote for death and could never explain why.  'This was not in reaction to him saying on the stand that he wanted to be executed.'   Questions about Nelson's mental health seemed to dominate the jury's deliberations, indicated by several notes passed to the judge.  Fulford's family was not present during the verdict. Thursday would have been Fulford's 58th birthday and the family said they did not want to be present for the decision.  So Nelson avoids the death penalty, which requires a unanimous recommendation.   The state has requested Nelson serve four consecutive life sentences.
  • Federal authorities in Puerto Rico unveiled a sprawling corruption investigation into high levels of the island’s government Wednesday, including criminal charges against six people, including two former agency officials. The Justice Department accused Julia Keleher, the former education secretary, and Ángela Ávila Marrero, the former executive director of the Puerto Rico Health Insurance Administration, of steering $15.5 million in federal funds to unqualified, politically connected contractors.  Glenda Ponce-Mendoza and Mayra Ponce-Mendoza, two sisters who worked as education contractors were also arrested along with Fernando Scherrer Caillet, an accounting firm executive and consultant Alberto Velázquez Piñol. The two businessmen face charges of money laundering, and other serious in the 32-count indictment.  The U.S. attorney for Puerto Rico, said the men used their political influence to improperly obtain contracts, and then used that money for illegal lobbying.  Velázquez Pinol was arrested in Greenwich, Connecticut. Keleher, who resigned from her position in April, was arrested in Washington. The other arrests took place in Puerto Rico.  Investigators found that government officials and employees used personal email and Telegram, a mobile encrypted messaging app, to conduct government business.  Keleher’s arrest was especially notable, following a tumultuous tenure in which she closed hundreds of public schools, citing Puerto Rico’s diminishing population and dwindling resources.  The arrests come as Puerto Rico’s leaders are asking Congress to approve $12 billion for the island’s Medicaid program, which faces a looming funding shortfall.  President Donald Trump, has been the most prominent skeptic of sending aid to Puerto Rico, who has repeatedly cast the island’s leaders as incompetent.  The arrests rocked the administration of Gov. Ricardo A. Rosselló, who said he would cut short a family vacation in France to hastily return to Puerto Rico.    “It is time to be present on the island and reiterate the message personally: The agenda of this Government does not stop, despite those who have incorrectly decided to treason the trust of the People,” Rosselló said in a statement.
  • The county clerk is holding nearly five-thousand checks ranging from eleven cents to more than nine-thousand dollars that belong to residents of the county.  The money is for things like jury duty, refunds, restitution, vendor payments and bonds.  The checks listed are those that were mailed, but never cashed; perhaps because the intended recipient moved away and did not leave a forwarding address, or put the check away and forgot about it.  'Our customers deserve to receive the money that is rightly theirs,' said Clerk of Courts Tiffany Moore Russell. 'That is why every year we go above and beyond to spread the word about our unclaimed checks list.'  If the money is not claimed by Sept. 1, the funds will be forfeited.  Anyone with questions about an unclaimed check can call the Clerk's office at 407-836-2200.  A list of unclaimed checks can be found at this link.
  • Navy Special Operations Chief Edward Gallagher was found not guilty Tuesday of first-degree murder of a captive ISIS fighter and attempted murder of civilians in Iraq. Gallagher, a decorated veteran serving in SEAL Team 7, was convicted of a single charge of posing with the dead body of the Islamic State captive.  Because the maximum sentence he could face was four months and he has spent more time than that in pretrial confinement, he will go free Tuesday.  Gallagher was turned in by his own platoon last spring. Several fellow officers reported that their leader had shot civilians and had killed a captive fighter with a hunting knife during a deployment in Iraq in 2017. He was also charged with obstruction of justice
  • A video has surfaced on social media showing a woman licking the top of an open container Blue Bell ice cream in the freezer section of a grocery store. She then returns the product back to the store's shelf while her friend/cameraman is heard laughing and calling her nasty.  In response, Blue Bell Creameries released the following statement:  'We want to thank our consumers for alerting us to the recent food tampering incident. We take this issue very seriously and are currently working with law enforcement, retail partners and social media platforms. This type of incident will not be tolerated.  Food safety is a top priority, and we work hard to provide a safe product and maintain the highest level of confidence from our consumers.  During production, our half gallons are flipped upside down and sent to a hardening room where the ice cream freezes to the lid creating a natural seal. The lids are frozen tightly to the carton. Any attempt at opening the product should be noticeable.  We will continue to monitor this situation.'  See video in APP here 
  • Orange County deputies said Monday, they arrested one of their own on charge of grand theft.  A news release to the media says, sergeant Carly Friedman was arrested at the request of the F-D-L-E following a criminal investigation.  Friedman has been relived of all her law enforcement powers without pay. This is a developing story check back on air and on-line for an update.
  • Tony Marino

    Anchor/Host

    Tony Marino is the host of Orlando’s Evening News and news anchor for News 96.5 WDBO. 

    Read More

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • Oviedo Mayor Dominic Persampiere announced that he will not seek reelection today, after more than 20 years in city government. Persampiere said the decision is because he wants to spend more time with his family, and work on growing his business. Previously, he had served as an Oviedo city councilman before running for mayor. He’s been serving as Mayor since 2011.  Two months ago, Persampiere was involved in a dispute with a neighbor that led to police involvement, but a judge dismissed an injunction filed against him.
  • Disney World is hiring part-time workers to operate it's Disney Skyliner, set to debut in late September. The new transportation system will connect Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios and four nearby resort hotels.  Skyliner workers will be responsible for greeting guests, loading and unloading the gondolas, as well as, monitoring the gondola system and providing audience control, according to a job posting.  The starting pay will be $12 an hour according to the posting, but Skyliner workers will be eligible for Disney's new starting rate of $13 as of September 29, 2019  Click here to apply
  • Aaron Carreto was enjoying his 10th birthday, playing outside his Compton home on July 6 when two neighbors tossed a lit, homemade firework at him, his family said. The boy reflexively grabbed the illegal firework, which exploded in his left hand, destroying four fingers and most of his palm, the Los Angeles Times reported. Aaron also lost a finger on his right hand and suffered burns on both hands, his face and his torso. One of the neighbors, Walter David Revolorio, 27, was arrested and charged with felony child cruelty and possession of a destructive device, the Times reported. The investigation is ongoing, but no charges had been filed against a second neighbor as of Monday. Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department officials had no immediate comment on the status of the investigation. Aaron told Fox 11 in Los Angeles he was playing outside in his neighborhood when he walked over to the neighbors to say hello. At one point, the men called out his name. “They said my name, and then I turned and my hand flipped over, so that’s when they handed the firework to me,” Aaron said. “I was about to throw it and it exploded in my hand.” The explosion was so great, it rocked nearby cars, Fox 11 reported. >> Read more trending news The Times reported that Aaron was immediately taken to Long Beach Memorial Medical Center, where he underwent a series of emergency surgeries. Doctors at UC Irvine Medical Center attached his left arm to his stomach to hopefully preserve nerve and skin tissue they can use to reconstruct his hand. Aaron’s older sister, Adriana Carreto, said doctors also reattached the finger her brother lost on his right hand. Carreto wrote on a GoFundMe page set up to help with Aaron’s medical expenses that he has a long recovery ahead, including at least two additional surgeries. Photos and video of the boy on the fundraising page, as well as on social media, show him with burns on his face and his left arm hidden under a hospital gown. Pain is etched on the boy’s face. “This incident changed his life, (his) way of living, but not his spirits,” Carreto wrote. “Everyone knows him as a social butterfly, always friendly to his teammates on the soccer team. He’s very caring and aware of other people’s needs.” Carreto wrote that her brother loves riding his bike with neighborhood friends and playing the popular online video game 'Fortnite' with classmates over their summer break. “Now with his new disability, he’ll find it difficult to adjust to his day to day lifestyle,” Carreto wrote. As of Monday afternoon, donors had raised more than $47,000 of the page's $50,000 goal to help Aaron and his family. Carreto said along with the physical pain her brother is in, he is also psychologically scarred. “He tells his family how he feels betrayed by those people around us and wants to start a new life far away from where he grew up,” Carreto wrote on the GoFundMe page. As of Monday, Aaron had been released from the hospital to continue his recovery at home. “I been reading all the positive and kind words to Aaron from his donors and he said he appreciates all the help and support,” Carreto wrote. “He said he feels happy with each and every one of you guys.” The distraught sister told ABC 7 she, however, is angry. “I’m angry because those two guys are adults and one of them has kids,” Carreto told the news station. “I’m pretty sure if it was his kid, he wouldn’t have let that happen.” Aaron told KTLA he wants to see both men punished for what they did to him. “Those guys who did this, I don’t want to see them no more,” Aaron told the news station. “I just wish that they could be in jail.” Revolorio remained Monday at the Los Angeles County Jail, where records show he is being held in lieu of $630,000 bond. The second neighbor accused in the incident has not been publicly identified.
  • President Trump continues his public criticism of House democrats Ayanna Pressley, Rashida Tlaib, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Ilhan Omar. He tweets, “The “Squad” is a very Racist group of troublemakers who are young, inexperienced, and not very smart. They are pulling the once great Democrat Party far left, and were against humanitarian aid at the Border...And are now against ICE and Homeland Security. So bad for our Country!” These comments come after President Trump last week said those four freshman House Democrats should 'go back to the crime infested places' from which they came. This also comes after a crowd at a Trump campaign rally in North Carolina chanted 'send her back.
  • A California woman and her boyfriend have been charged in connection with their newborn son’s death after investigators learned they strangled the boy at the hospital shortly after he was born, authorities said. Andrea Torralba, 20, and David Villa, 21, both of Oxnard, are being held in the Ventura County Jail on suspicion of felony assault on a child causing death, Oxnard Police Department officials said. Jail records show Villa, who is described as a field worker, is being held in lieu of $5 million. ABC 7 in Los Angeles reported that Torralba’s bail was set at $1 million. >> Read more trending news  Oxnard police investigators said officers were called just before 8 a.m. Friday to St. John’s Medical Center, where they learned a newborn boy was in critical condition with serious injuries. The boy was found unresponsive and despite all medical efforts, he died of his injuries. Detectives from the department’s Family Protection Unit learned that Torralba and Villa strangled the newborn until he lost consciousness, police officials said. Oxnard police Sgt. Brandon Ordelheide told ABC 7 that the couple, when questioned by detectives, admitted they did not want the baby. Both were arrested and charged in the boy’s death.

Washington Insider

  • In a dramatic expansion of a process known as 'expedited removal' of illegal immigrants in the United States, the Trump Administration will start applying that everywhere in the United States - to anyone who has been in the U.S. illegally for less than two years - as critics quickly said they would challenge the change in federal court. 'The effect of that change will be to enhance national security and public safety,' the Department of Homeland Security states in a new rule set to go into effect on Tuesday, which the notice says will allow 'DHS to address more effectively and efficiently the large volume of aliens who are present in the United States unlawfully.' Up until this change, expedited removal was only used for illegal immigrants who were detained within 100 miles of the border - now it can be enforced anywhere in the U.S. Under the Immigration and Nationality Act, the Trump Administration argues the Acting Homeland Security Secretary has the 'sole and unreviewable discretion' to change 'the scope of the expedited removal designation,' shifting it from the 100 mile policy to one that applies nationwide. Critics denounced the immigration policy change, with some vowing to challenge the move in court. 'One of the major problems with expedited removal is that the immigration officer making the decision virtually has unchecked authority,' said the American Immigration Council, as the process does not involve an immigration judge or any type of court hearing. 'We will sue to end this policy quickly,' said Omar Jadwat of the American Civil Liberties Union, who charged that deportations could occur with 'less due process than people get in traffic court.' 'This is a massive and dangerous change,' said Aaron Reichlin-Melnick of the American Immigration Council, which is joining in the ACLU legal challenge to the new policy. The announcement marked the second straight week that the Trump Administration had rolled out a new immigration policy - last Monday, the feds announced a new plan to restrict asylum claims by migrants from Central America. Those plans are also facing a legal challenge from the ACLU and other groups.