On Air Now

Listen Now

Weather

cloudy-day
74°
Sct Thunderstorms
H 89° L 75°
  • cloudy-day
    74°
    Current Conditions
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 89° L 75°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    86°
    Afternoon
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 89° L 75°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    82°
    Evening
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 89° L 75°
Listen
Pause
Error

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Entertainment
Earthlings dwindle, music fading at Area 51 events in Nevada
Close

Earthlings dwindle, music fading at Area 51 events in Nevada

Earthlings dwindle, music fading at Area 51 events in Nevada
Photo Credit: AP Photo/John Locher
People dressed in costumes visit an entrance to the Nevada Test and Training Range near Area 51, Friday, Sept. 20, 2019, near Rachel, Nev. People came to visit the gate inspired by the "Storm Area 51" internet hoax. (AP Photo/John Locher)

Earthlings dwindle, music fading at Area 51 events in Nevada

Bands played to a dwindling crowd of Earthlings late Saturday at one remaining festival spawned by a "Storm Area 51" internet craze in the remote Nevada desert.

Lights were dark at another venue where promoters pulled the plug because of low attendance.

Little A'Le'Inn owner Connie West vowed that a music program topped by the Los Angeles band Wily Savage would continue until midnight, as scheduled, in the tiny town of Rachel.

But bands playing from a temporary stage faced few people beneath a sky full of stars at a dusty venue where authorities tallied a peak of about 3,000 attendees on Friday.

"Things are ramping down," Lincoln County emergency services chief Eric Holt said as darkness fell and first-responders from around the state began heading home.

"Area 51 Basecamp" was already dark, after pulling the plug the morning after a Friday concert-and-vendors just that drew just 500 attendees in Hiko.

"We put on a safe event for the people that showed up," promoter Keith Wright said. "It was a gamble financially. We lost."

West, in Rachel, said she was sad to hear the Hiko festival didn't succeed.

"This is the most fabulous time," West said. "It's been a great turnout, and it wasn't the humanitarian disaster that everyone claimed it would be."

Holt, who said resources had been mustered to handle up to 30,000 people, called the low turnout a "best-case" scenario for a county with 5,200 residents in an area the size of Massachusetts. The county dipped into a $250,000 emergency fund to deal with an event that drew interested internet clicks from more than 2 million Facebook users.

Despite an initial suggestion that people rush the gates, festival organizers and authorities discouraged people from entering the military base.

More than 1,000 people visited gates Thursday and Friday, and more made the trek on long dirt roads near Rachel on Saturday.

Officials reported six arrests overall, mostly for misdemeanor trespassing on base property, a $1,000 fine. One man was arrested for disorderly conduct at a festival venue and one for public urination at a base gate.

In Nye County, west of Las Vegas, authorities reported no arrests after a total of about 200 people showed up early Friday at two remote gates to the once-secret Area 51 facility.

In Lincoln County, Sheriff Kerry Lee said about 20 people broke from among revelers early Saturday and "acted like they were going to storm, but stopped short."

Holt said two people badly hurt Saturday in a rollover crash of a vehicle on a dry lake bed near Rachel were sent to hospitals in St. George, Utah, and Las Vegas, Holt said.

On Friday, one man was treated for dehydration by medics at the Rachel festival.

Two crashes also were reported involving vehicles hitting cows, Holt said. The cows died, but motorists weren't hurt. Officials noted the highway between Hiko and Rachel is open range for cattle grazing.

While costumed space aliens were a common and sometimes hilarious sight in events that began Thursday, no one has reported seeing actual extraterrestrials or UFOs.

Keegan VanLuven, an 18-year-old from Auburn Hills, Michigan, who was thumbing a ride from Hiko to Rachel on Saturday said he experienced all he traveled to Nevada to do.

He visited the gates of Area 51, enjoyed the music at the "Area 51 Basecamp" concert on Friday night and made new friends, including a 23-year-old woman from Charlottesville, Virginia, with whom he was hitchhiking. She identified herself only as Amity.

"The people that didn't come," VanLuven said. "They missed out."

Read More

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • A road construction worker was killed and three others were hurt after being hit by a suspected drunken driver near Concord Mills Mall in North Carolina early Saturday, police said. >> Read more trending news  Danyel Middleton was charged with felony death by a motor vehicle, and police said she could face more charges. She spent her 22nd birthday in jail and will face a judge Monday. Socorro Martinez, 50, was confirmed dead at the scene. The three other victims were taken to a nearby hospital. Two were being treated for serious injuries, and the third was treated and released from the hospital. The crash happened around 1:45 a.m. on Concord Mills Boulevard near Entry A to Concord Mills Mall. Police said the four crewmen were working on road improvements when Middleton plowed into them. According to authorities, the crew had appropriate signs and lighting indicating the work zone. 'They're just trying to make a living, and they can't come to work and be safe,' a Concord community member told WSOC's DaShawn Brown.  Officials said the four who were struck were workers with Cruz Brothers Concrete. The company, based near Burlington, North Carolina, is said to have over 75 years of experience and family-owned.  For community members, news of the crash was unsettling enough, but even more so close to home.  'You know, sometimes if I want to go out and drive at night, it makes me a lot more nervous knowing something like this could've happened,' Nate Seedorf said. 'Not only is the driver going to live with that for the rest of her life, but the family of the victims are also going to be dealing with this forever,' another community member told WSOC-TV. Middleton is being held at the Cabarrus County Jail with bail set at $1 million.
  • The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) charged two men with what they call “ the state’s largest seizure of turtles in recent history.” Officers say a tip back in February 2018 started the investigation into what they call a turtle trafficking ring that involved thousands of animals and thousands of dollars.  On October 18 wildlife officers arrested Michael Boesenberg, 39, and Michael Clemons, 23, both of Fort Myers, Fl. and charged them with poaching and selling the turtles on the black market.  Most went to large-scale reptile dealers and illegal distributors, who would then ship them overseas on the black market with a majority of the animals ending up in Asia,  according to a press release. The turtles would fetch between $300 and $10,000 dollars each. Officers estimate one month of turtles would net approximately $60,000. The FWC documented more than 4,000 turtles illegally taken and sold over a 6-month period in the release,  including Florida box turtles, Eastern box turtles, striped mud turtles, Florida mud turtles, chicken turtles, Florida softshell turtles, Gulf Coast spiny softshell turtles, spotted turtles and diamondback terrapins. When investigators arrived with a search warrant they say they found the poachers in possession of hundreds of turtles, along with the skull and shell of a protected Kemp’s Ridley sea turtle.  Biologists evaluated all of the animals for health and species identification and were able to return more than 600 of them back into the wild.
  • Friday was a tough night for residents in Polk County where a EF-2 tornado touched down causing damage to homes and churches and left thousands without power.  But it was especially hard for the Pelham family who told Bay News 9 they had only moments to get into a closet before the tornado struck.  After the storm passed, they discovered their pitbull, Tuffy, and his dog house were gone.  The family told reporters they immediately began searching the area and discovered the dog house 100 yards away. It was severely damaged.  Still, there were no signs of their big dog.  Miraculously, 18-hours after the search began a neighbor found the pooch hiding in a ditch about a half-mile away.  He was scared but otherwise seemed to be OK.  Tuffy’s reunion was shared on twitter by reporter Trevor Pettiford Sunday.  One person commented, “They don’t call him Tuffy for nothin!” App users click here to see the video.   
  • One of Texas' largest cities is reeling after a tornado swept through north Dallas on Sunday night, officials said. >> Read more trending news  According to KDFW-TV, the twister struck about 9 p.m. CDT near Dallas Love Field Airport, then headed east, damaging homes and businesses while initially knocking out power to more than 100,000 people in the region. As of early Monday, no deaths or serious injuries had been reported, the city of Dallas said in a news release; however, emergency officials told The Associated Press that they received reports of people cut by glass shards. Crews also were trying to determine whether any victims were trapped inside a collapsed structure after seven people safely fled the building, the AP reported.  WFAA-TV reported that the storm destroyed Dallas Stars hockey player Tyler Seguin's mansion. Seguin appeared to confirm the news on Twitter but assured fans that he was OK. 'Thanks to everyone reaching out about the news tonight, I am safe,' he tweeted. 'Luckily this is my house for sale and I have moved into a new one. I just left the area and it is an extremely sad sight to see. Prayers to everyone affected by the tornado.' The storm caused 'significant' damage to six homes in nearby Sachse, as well, the AP reported. Four of those houses are now considered 'uninhabitable,' according to the news agency. Read more here. – The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • Residents in Gotha have been dealing with flooding for weeks. They said it’s because road projects nearby are dumping water into Lake Nally and that water is running straight into their homes. With the outer bands of Nestor impacting the area, some residents had to find a new place to stay because their homes were being flooded from all the rain. One family had to find a new place to stay and another may need to soon due to flooding. The Fernandez family was forced to move out of their home.  “There are snakes in there, and ... we haven’t been able to move out anything,” Mery Fernandez said. Neighbors said the county refuses to take responsibility for the road projects that dump water into the lakes. The water then floods homes in the area. “The county's going to own up to that and they’re gonna get my house back,” Fernandez said. Resident Paul Dehart is worried he won’t be able to get into his house one day. “Doesn’t have to rise much more and I won’t be able to get in and out, which will effectively take away my house,” Dehart said. People in the neighborhood said county officials told them that because the lakes are private, the responsibility falls on the homeowners.  “In the meantime, they still say there’s no temporary solution for this, which is hard to believe,” Dehart said. Residents said county officials told them authorities are working on conducting a study of the entire basin to find a long-term fix. For now, the neighbors are doing what they can to help each other out.

Washington Insider

  • Accused by Democrats of blatant corruption by planning to host the 2020 G7 Summit at his Doral resort and golf course in Miami, President Donald Trump on Saturday night reversed course and dropped those plans, retreating just two days after his acting White House Chief of Staff announced the plans. 'I thought I was doing something very good for our Country by using Trump National Doral, in Miami, for hosting the G-7 Leaders,' the President wrote on Twitter, defending his choice of venue - which he owns. 'I announced that I would be willing to do it at NO PROFIT or, if legally permissible, at ZERO COST to the USA. But, as usual, the Hostile Media & their Democrat Partners went CRAZY!' the President wrote. “To translate, “Democrat Crazed and Irrational Hostility” means people who stood up for the Constitution and the rule of law against what some of the most flagrant corruption in American history,” said Rep. Don Beyer (D-VA). Critics in Congress and outside ethics groups had denounced the President's decision, arguing that it was a clear cut example of corruption. Democrats had already planned a vote this coming week in the House on a measure to condemn the President for his choice, as some suggested it was such a  clear cut violation of ethics rules - and federal law - that it would automatically become an article of impeachment. “After demanding answers from the White House about the President’s decision to hold the G-7 at his Doral resort, I’m glad he’s reversed course,” said Sen. Gary Peters (D-MI). “But it never should have come to this.” “It's just one mind-blowing, embarrassing fiasco after another,” said Sen. Chris Murphy (D-CT). 'President Trump’s decision to award the G-7 Conference to his own property was outrageous, corrupt and a constitutional violation,' said Noah Bookbinder, the head of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington.  'It was stunningly corrupt even for a stunningly corrupt administration,' Bookbinder added. The announcement on Twitter by the President came barely 48 hours after acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney was pelted with questions in a rare briefing for reporters, as he shrugged off repeated questions about why the G7 selection wasn't straight and simple corruption. 'Get over it,' Mulvaney said at one point. That news conference also included Mulvaney openly acknowledging that the Trump White House had pressured the Ukraine government to investigate items related to the 2016 elections, in exchange for the release of military aid to Ukraine. Several hours after that briefing, Mulvaney issued a denial of any quid pro quo, as he accused reporters of twisting his words - even though his statements were very clear. “I don’t think he’s enjoying impeachment at all,” Sen. Brian Schatz (D-HI) said of the President. “He can also repay American taxpayers the millions collected at Mar-a-Lago, the Trump Hotel, and other Trump properties from DOD, Secret Service, the White House and other fed agencies in violation of the Domestic Emoluments Clause,” tweeted Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-MD).