ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

clear-night
76°
Thunderstorms
H 84° L 76°
  • clear-night
    76°
    Current Conditions
    Thunderstorms. H 84° L 76°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    83°
    Afternoon
    Thunderstorms. H 84° L 76°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    80°
    Evening
    Thunderstorms. H 84° L 76°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Business
Agency: Safeguards failed in fire that killed 5 at gas well
Close

Agency: Safeguards failed in fire that killed 5 at gas well

Agency: Safeguards failed in fire that killed 5 at gas well
Photo Credit: Kevin Harvison/The McAlester News-Capital via AP, File
FILE - In this Monday, Jan. 22, 2018, file photo, smoke billows from the site of a gas well fire near Quinton, Okla. A federal report says the explosion and fire that killed five workers at the southeastern Oklahoma natural gas well in 2018 was caused by the failure of blowout prevention devices and other factors. (Kevin Harvison/The McAlester News-Capital via AP, File)

Agency: Safeguards failed in fire that killed 5 at gas well

The failure of safety devices designed to prevent blowouts contributed to an explosion and fire that killed five workers last year at a southeastern Oklahoma natural gas well, according to a federal agency's report Wednesday that also lists inadequate training and a deactivated alarm system as factors.

The report by the U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board says the safeguards, designed to prevent the uncontrolled release of gas and other fluids from the well, were ineffective before the Jan. 22, 2018, explosion and fire in Pittsburg County near Quinton, which is about 125 miles (200 kilometers) east of Oklahoma City.

Among other things, the 158-page report found certain operations at the Houston-based Patterson-UTI Energy Inc. drilling site were conducted "without needed planning, equipment, skills, or procedures," nullifying the primary barrier designed to prevent a blowout.

In a statement, Patterson said it does not agree with all of the agency's findings but is evaluating what policies, procedures and training it could implement to address the issues raised in the report.

"We remain committed to preventing an accident like this from ever happening again," the statement says.

The explosion was the deadliest drilling accident since the Deepwater Horizon rig exploded in the Gulf of Mexico in 2010, killing 11 people. The report represents the first time the board has investigated a deadly accident at an onshore drilling site, according to its interim executive, Kristen Kulinowski,

"This is a very serious incident. Five people lost their lives. That is a threshold we cannot ignore," said Kulinowski, a chemist.

Kulinowski said the board's investigation found a "multitude of issues that went wrong." Among other things, the well's safety management system that was not effective for managing safe rig operations and the driller was not effectively trained in using a method for monitoring the uncontrolled flow of natural gas.

"This was a senseless tragedy that did not need to occur." Kulinowski said.

The report says the explosion followed the removal of a pipe from the well, a process known as "tripping" that the report says was performed in a way that "allowed a large amount of gas to enter the well." The equivalent of more than 8400 gallons (31,800 liters) of natural gas entered the well during the 14 hours before the explosion but was not detected, the board's lead investigator, Lauren Grim, said.

The report says an alarm system that could have detected the escaping gas was switched off. While the reason is unknown, the report noted that alarms set for the drilling operation were perceived as irrelevant for other operations.

The blowout preventer failed to close when workers attempted to activate it after the fire started because control hoses had burned and leaked hydraulic fluid, the agency's report determined. It also says the victims had no safe escape route from the driller's cabin once the drilling mud and gas was ignited, effectively trapping them once the fire started.

Killed in the explosion and fire were Matt Smith of McAlester, Oklahoma; Parker Waldridge of Crescent, Oklahoma; Roger Cunningham from Seminole, Oklahoma; Josh Ray of Fort Worth, Texas; and Cody Risk of Wellington, Colorado. Autopsies determined all five men died of burns and smoke inhalation.

Family members of the victims filed lawsuits alleging, among other things, that the well's operator used a cheaper and quicker drilling plan than experts advised and ignored warnings that safety equipment at the well site was malfunctioning prior to the explosion. The agency's report does not specifically address those allegations.

Patterson has said it does not comment on pending litigation but is committed to preventing future accidents.

The report says few regulations govern the safety of onshore oil and gas drilling operations in the U.S. It provides a series of recommendations that the agency said could help prevent future catastrophic blowouts and protect people as well as the environment, including a suggestion that the American Petroleum Institute convening a group of experts in drilling, engineering and instrumentation to discuss ways to implement automatic safety instrumented systems industrywide to control an oil and gas well when other operational barriers fail.

Other recommendations include development of a safety management system that applies only to the drilling of onshore oil and gas wells with detailed, written operating procedures for all drilling operations; a risk assessment of hazards associated with the drilling plan; development of a recommended practice on alarm management specifically for the drilling industry; and development of safety regulations for companies who design oil and gas well drilling plans for wells in Oklahoma.

Read More

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • A man is facing several charges after police said he dragged an officer during a traffic stop, reaching 60 miles per hour. The video shows officer John Murphy with the Orlando Police Department speaking with Zavier Askew during a traffic stop near College Drive and Willie Mays Parkway. Officer Murphy initially pulled Askew over on May 9, 2019 for an expired tag.  The officer later asks Askew to to get out of the vehicle and pats him down after having him stand by his patrol car. Murphy then searches the glove compartment inside the vehicle and allegedly discovers 'a large vacuum seal bag of pot.' Vials of cannabis oil, a scale and multiple baggies were also allegedly found. As Murphy walks back to Askew, the video then allegedly shows Askew run back to the car, jumping in the drivers seat and accelerating, dragging Murphy with him. 'Dude you're killing me,' the officer can be heard saying as his legs were being dragged outside the vehicle. 'Stop! This is attempted murder!'  A minute into the drive, Askew finally stops and is placed in handcuffs. 'I'm bleeding I think,' Murphy can be heard saying. 'You almost killed me.' App users click here to see the video. Another officer arrives as backup and to help with the arrest. Askew faces six charges, including attempted murder of a law enforcement officer.  He is being held at the Orange County Jail on no bond. 
  • Deputies from the Limestone County Sheriff’s Office in Alabama found what they call a  caged ‘attack squirrel’ during a raid on a suspected drug house. Officials believe two suspects who lived in the home fed the animal meth to keep it aggressive. A video shows the long tailed guy jumping around his cage while the deputy reports in saying “I’m dodging a crazy squirrel right now.” Animal control was called in to assist and ultimately decided the squirrel should be released into the wild. They were not able to test it for meth consumption prior to its release, citing safety concerns. This may give new meaning to the term “Wild animal.” App users click here to see the video. One  suspect who lived in the home was arrested, a second man fled the scene.  Officials reported they recovered other drugs, body armor and ammunition from the home.
  • A Missouri man who pleaded guilty to molesting an 11-year-old girl will not be going to prison, a judge decided last week. According to the Jefferson City News Tribune, Judge Calvin Holden on Friday sentenced Joseph Meili, 22, of Russellville, to five years of supervised probation after Meili pleaded guilty to a third-degree child molestation charge. Authorities said Meili sexually assaulted the girl at a Springfield apartment in July 2017 after the pair met on a dating app, the News Tribune reported. >> Read more trending news During the incident, police were looking for the child, who had been reported missing, authorities said. She was found after she returned to her Republic home to pack a bag, according to the Springfield News-Leader. The girl told investigators that she had fallen asleep while she was with Meili, the News Tribune reported. When she woke up, she felt like a sexual encounter had occurred, she told authorities. The girl later told police that she and Meili had had sex, HuffPost reported. A test also confirmed that the child had chlamydia, a sexually transmitted disease, authorities said. Meili, who initially was arrested on kidnapping, statutory rape and statutory sodomy charges, said the girl's dating profile said she was 18, the News-Leader reported. Those charges were dropped as part of Meili's plea deal. Meili's attorney, Scott Pierson, said the girl had 'essentially catfished' his client by lying about her age, according to the News-Leader. 'He felt horrible about the entire incident,' Pierson told HuffPost of Meili, who is now a registered sex offender. But Elizabeth Fax, an attorney with the Greene County Prosecutor's Office, was skeptical. 'I think dating apps make it easier to get into these types of situations, to be sure, but to actually see her in person. ... He knew and just decided to go along with it anyway,' Fax told HuffPost.
  • Video posted on youtube by Laura Loomer shows a man in a F-trump t-shirt being cuffed and frisked by Orlando police Tuesday, after he allegedly assaulted a Trump supporter who was waiting in line outside the Amway Center. The video was taken by Illoominate Media reporter, Jacob Engels who can be heard saying “plenty of witnesses saw you kick the other person.” Another witness can be heard saying  “ It’s not funny now, huh?” App users click here to watch the video.  Thousands of people crowded into downtown Orlando to support the presidents re-election bid or to protest the event. Most were peaceful. 
  • A convicted rapist was released from jail on the promise he’d return to Mexico, but instead attacked his victim, who uses a wheelchair, again three days after his release, according to deputies in Washington state. Now, he’s on the run again, authorities said.  King County sheriff’s deputies are asking for the public’s help finding 35-year-old Francisco Carranza-Ramirez. He’s listed in court documents as a 5-foot-8, 140-pound white male with brown eyes and black hair. >> Read more trending news Carranza-Ramirez was released from jail on June 13 in the rape case from September 2018.  The defense asked the court to not impose community custody because he wanted to return to Mexico. The King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office recommended community custody – meaning Carranza-Ramirez would still be released with conditions.  King County Superior Court Judge Nicole A. Gaines Phelps agreed to let him go with credit for time served and no community custody, as long as Carranza-Ramirez would provide proof that he returned to Mexico. A review hearing for the conditions of his release was scheduled for June 25.  As part of his June 13 guilty plea in the rape case, Carranza-Ramirez was the subject of a sexual assault protection order to keep him away from the victim for five years.  Carranza-Ramirez violated the protection order by being within 1,000 feet of the victim two days after his release, deputies said.  “The following day, the suspect assaulted the victim, knocking her out of her wheelchair, strangled her and threatened to kill her,” Sgt. Ryan Abbott said in a statement.  Deputies arrived at the scene but said Carranza-Ramirez fled and was not located.  Detectives said they believe he is in the White Center area and is homeless. On Tuesday, prosecutors filed charges of second-degree assault , felony harassment, intimidating a witness and violation of a sexual assault protection order against Carranza-Ramirez.  Anyone with information on Carranza-Ramirez’s location is asked to call 911.

Washington Insider

  • Even as President Donald Trump and top Republicans in Congress call on Democratic leaders in the U.S. House to allow a vote on a new trade deal with Mexico and Canada, the President's top trade negotiator told Senators on Tuesday that there's still no set date for when the agreement would be submitted to the Congress 'I believe we're on track, I believe we are making progress,' said United States Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer. Asked by a GOP Senator about discussions with Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Lighthizer gave no public hint about any problems. 'My hope is that over the course of the next several weeks, that we can make substantial progress,' Lighthizer added, as he said talks with Pelosi had been 'constructive.' Democrats have been pressing the Trump Administration over the enforcement of new labor reforms in Mexico, worried that the government won't adequately enforce the changes. Asked by Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) when to expect a vote in Congress, Lighthizer gave no concrete date - as the trade agreement has not yet been formally submitted to the Congress. At a hearing of the Senate Finance Committee, Lighthizer faced some verbal slings and arrows from both parties about the President's trade policies. 'I do not agree that tariffs should be the tool we use in every instance to achieve our trade policy goals,' said Sen. Charles Grassley (R-IA). 'China's market is now more closed off to American goods and American agriculture than before the trade war began,' said Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR), as he complained about the impact of the President's tweets on trade policy. For the most part, Lighthizer did not engage in pitched battles with Democrats over trade matters, repeatedly stressing common ground over trade disputes with China and final talks over the USMCA trade deal. As for China, Lighthizer made clear that President Trump isn't bluffing when it comes to additional tariffs on Chinese goods, acknowledging to Senators that the next round could have a bigger impact, to include items like laptop computers and cell phones. Lighthizer could have a somewhat more partisan reception on Wednesday, when he testifies on the same issues before the House Ways and Means Committee.