ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

clear-day
86°
Thunderstorms
H 86° L 76°
  • clear-day
    86°
    Current Conditions
    Thunderstorms. H 86° L 76°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    80°
    Evening
    Thunderstorms. H 86° L 76°
  • cloudy-day
    77°
    Morning
    Partly Cloudy. H 91° L 77°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National Govt & Politics
Trump tweet raises questions about NASA plans for Moon mission
Close

Trump tweet raises questions about NASA plans for Moon mission

Trump tweet raises questions about NASA plans for Moon mission

Trump tweet raises questions about NASA plans for Moon mission

Less than a month after publicly proclaiming his support for extra money in the federal budget to send American astronauts to the Moon in five years, with plans for a 'sustained presence on the Moon by 2028,' President Donald Trump on Friday raised questions about a lunar mission by NASA, saying the space agency should be more focused on getting to Mars.

"For all of the money we are spending, NASA should NOT be talking about going to the Moon - We did that 50 years ago," the President tweeted from Air Force One, as he flew home from a trip to Europe.

It was not immediately apparent what sparked the President's tweet about NASA's mission to the Moon - which back on May 13 was something Mr. Trump was proudly talking about.

"Under my Administration, we are restoring @NASA to greatness and we are going back to the Moon, then Mars," the President tweeted last month.

Here are the two tweets to compare:

NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine has been talking for months about establishing a base on the Moon, using it as a stepping stone to prep for an eventual mission to Mars.

"President Donald Trump has asked NASA to accelerate our plans to return to the Moon and to land humans on the surface again by 2024," Bridenstine says in a quote that is featured on NASA's website about the Moon mission.

"This time, when we go to the Moon, we will stay," Bridenstine said. "And then we will use what we learn on the Moon to take the next giant leap - sending astronauts to Mars."

Just a few hours before the President's Friday tweet, the NASA chief was telling a Washington audience that the Trump Administration is committed to a new, lunar mission. 

"The very first space policy directive of the President said, we're going to go back to the Moon," Bridenstine told an audience at the 38th International Space Development Conference.

In mid-May, President Trump officially asked Congress for $1.6 billion more to plan for a Moon mission - though the final cost would obviously be much more than that, something Democrats in Congress have questioned.

"We don’t know how much money will be required in total to meet the arbitrary 2024 Moon landing deadline or how that money will be spent," said Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson (R-TX). "We don’t know how much additional money will subsequently be required to turn the crash program to get astronauts to the Moon by 2024 into a sustainable exploration program that will lead to Mars."

Read More

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • A man who stabbed a New York City man early Tuesday also partially severed his own finger during the attack, police said. >> Read more trending news  The 35-year-old victim, who was repeatedly stabbed, lived in the Bronx, WPIX reported. According to police, the attacker and victim were arguing outside a bar at 1:15 a.m. when the stabbing occurred. The victim was stabbed in the back, while the attacker partially cut a finger on his left hand, WPIX reported. The assailant then ran away, police said. Police said the attacker appeared to be in his mid- to late 20s, the television station reported. The man had a beard and tattoos on his right forearm and upper right arm, WPIX reported. Police said the man was last seen wearing a red baseball cap, white T-shirt and dark colored shorts, the television station reported.
  • A mentally ill Oregon woman suffered life-threatening injuries Monday when she apparently climbed into a garbage chute at her boyfriend’s condominium community and plunged 16 stories to the bottom. The Oregonian reported that the woman, who was not publicly identified, suffered head injuries in her fall from the 16th floor of the Civic, a condo building in Portland’s Pearl District.  Portland Fire & Rescue spokesman Rich Chatman told the newspaper the woman, who is in her late 20s, slid down into the garbage collection area, where firefighters found her unconscious. Police declined to file charges against the woman. “I can say there was a mental health component involved,” Chatman told the paper.  On Tuesday, Chatman said it appeared the woman put herself in the chute.  “The prevailing assumption is that she got into the chute on her own will,” he said.  Steven Lofton, who lives on the 16th floor of the Civic, told a reporter that the woman and her boyfriend are known on their floor for getting into fights, both verbal and physical. Neighbors had voiced their concerns to the building’s management. >> Read more trending news Lofton said he heard someone pounding on his door just after lunchtime Monday and went to the door to find the woman, who told him she was afraid. When he opened his door, she rushed in, screaming, and began trashing his condo, he told the paper.  “She was wild, just absolutely wild,” Lofton said. “She was breaking and throwing everything in her sight. Plates, vases, cutlery. You name it.” The woman ran out into the hallway, where she encountered her boyfriend. They got into a physical confrontation, Lofton said.  Lofton said he closed his door and called 911. The woman went down the garbage chute moments later, The Oregonian said.  A Portland police spokeswoman told the paper Tuesday that a domestic violence investigation is ongoing, though detectives are waiting for the woman’s condition to improve. “The involved woman’s medical situation is of a higher priority than the criminal investigation at this time,” Jones said in an email to the newspaper.  
  • Meet Poncho Via - the newest holder of a Guinness World Record with a sensational set of 10 foot-7.4 inches horns from tip to tip. The 7-year-old steer makes his home in Goodwater, Alabama and has been living with his family, the Pope’s, since he was six-months old. The family said they knew Poncho was something special when his horns began to grow out to the sides inside of curving up, like other longhorns’ do. Poncho is very popular around town too, with his ‘dad’ saying of him, 'All my neighbors (around) here, any time they have company, they come over to see the longhorn. He's just a big, gentle character. Everyone brings (food) with them -- he likes apples, carrots and marshmallows.' Mobile user see tweet here. His humongous horns aren’t all glitz and show, though. They’ve gotten him into trouble a time or two. George Jones, a family member who helps out with Poncho on the ranch, tells the story, “He pulled a water bottle right out my pocket with his tongue. He's there playing with the bottle and I reached and scratched him for a bit.'  The caretaker said he was knocked into a pond once, when the longhorn became spooked by something. 'That went on for a little while and I guess a horsefly got on him or something (because), all of a sudden, he turned that head and I went airborne into the pond. He just knocked me completely off my feet into the water,' Jones said. The former record holder, a Texas longhorn named Sato, had a horn spread of 10 feet, 6.3 inches, when measured in September, according to Guinness World Records. As the tweet below mentions, Poncho’s horns measures more than twice the width of a concert grand piano. Mobile user see tweet here.
  • An independent investigator for the United Nations says there is 'credible evidence' warranting a probe into Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman's possible involvement in the 2018 slaying of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi.  >> Read more trending news  According to The Associated Press, U.N. special rapporteur Agnes Callamard said in a 101-page report that 'a proper authority' should consider whether the crown prince or senior adviser Saud Alqahtani bore 'criminal responsibility' in the death. 'Mr. Khashoggi's killing constituted an extrajudicial killing for which the State of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is responsible,' the report said.  Khashoggi, who was critical of the Saudi regime, was killed at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul last October. Saudi officials later blamed the death on 'rogue operators,' CNN reported. Eleven people – five of whom could receive the death penalty – are being tried in Saudi Arabia in connection with the slaying. The report said Callamard made 'no conclusion' as to whether the crown prince or Alqahtani are guilty but determined that Khashoggi's execution was 'deliberate' and 'premeditated,' news outlets reported. The report also named 15 suspects in the incident, during which Khashoggi was drugged, suffocated and dismembered, CNN reported. Read more here or here. – The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • The SpaceX  team raised the Falcon Heavy onto launchpad 39A early this morning in preparation for next week’s launch. We expect crews to test it’s 27 Merlin engines as early as this afternoon. SpaceX says this will be one of the most challenging launches ever. The STP-2 mission will have four upper stage engine burns, three separate deployment orbits, and a final propulsive passivization maneuver.  The mission will last six hours and will deliver 24 satellites into orbit.  This will also be the first time they will re-use side boosters from the Arabsat-6A Falcon Heavy launch. The launch window for STP-2 opens at 11:30 p.m. E.T. Monday, June 24, 2019. Be sure to download the News 96.5 WDBO app and turn on the push notification tab by clicking the three line menu in the upper right corner, to receive the latest launch information.  You can also hear the launch live, when it happens, on News 96.5 FM.

Washington Insider

  • After weeks of negotiations over a White House request for extra money to deal with a surge of illegal immigrants along the southern border with Mexico, Senators on a key spending panel voted 30-1 on Wednesday to approve a $4.59 billion spending package to insure that various federal agencies have enough money to address what President Donald Trump has said is a crisis at the border. 'This situation as most of us realize is past the breaking point,' said Sen. Richard Shelby (R-AL). 'I believe we must act.' 'The fact is that we do have a humanitarian crisis on the border that does need to be addressed,' said Sen. Jon Tester (D-MT), who recounted crowded holding facilities for illegal immigrants. 'We've seen big numbers in the past, but we're going to exceed that this year,' said Sen. Roy Blunt (R-MO). 'This bill is absolutely necessary,' said Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV). 'There are families and children who need our support.' The only 'no' vote in the Senate Appropriations Committee came from Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-OR). The bill only deals with money to help address the humanitarian needs along the border - it does not address any changes in U.S. immigration laws desired by President Trump. On Thursday, the Senate Judiciary Committee had been scheduled to start work on a bill which would make some of those immigration reforms, but that work will be delayed into July in search of a bipartisan agreement. “This is not a crisis - this is a disaster,” said Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC), who is leading President Trump's charge to change immigration laws. 'Our immigration laws are a disgrace and the Democrats can get together with the Republicans and solve the problem quickly,' the President told his campaign kickoff rally on Tuesday night in Orlando, Florida. It's expected the full Senate could vote on the package next week. It is not clear if the House would follow suit before lawmakers leave town at the end of June for a break during the week of July Fourth.