On Air Now

Listen Now

Weather

clear-day
83°
Mostly Cloudy
H 84° L 68°
  • clear-day
    83°
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Cloudy. H 84° L 68°
  • cloudy-day
    69°
    Morning
    Mostly Cloudy. H 84° L 68°
  • cloudy-day
    79°
    Afternoon
    Cloudy. H 81° L 73°
Listen
Pause
Error

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National Govt & Politics
Pelosi sidesteps growing feud with Ocasio-Cortez
Close

Pelosi sidesteps growing feud with Ocasio-Cortez

Pelosi sidesteps growing feud with Ocasio-Cortez

Pelosi sidesteps growing feud with Ocasio-Cortez

Amid growing public complaints about her leadership from a small group of more progressive Democrats in Congress led by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY), House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Thursday refused to be further drawn into a spat with a group of newly elected Democrats, brushing aside questions from reporters about the internal bickering among Democrats.

"I said what I'm going to say in the caucus," Pelosi said, referring to a closed door discussion she had on Wednesday with fellow House Democrats.

"That's where this is appropriate," the Speaker added, as Pelosi turned the discussion away from any fight with Ocasio-Cortez, to a tweet by the New York Democrat's Chief of Staff, which attacked more moderate Democrats in the House.

"Our members took offense to that," Pelosi said of the tweet. "I addressed that."

"We respect the value of every member of our caucus," the Speaker said. "Diversity is our strength."

Before reporters, the Speaker did not identify the source of the tweet as being from Ocasio-Cortez's top staffer, instead referring to it as a 'tweet that came out of one of the member's offices.'

The tweet by Ocasio-Cortez Chief of Staff Saikat Chakrabarti was deleted - but it has aggravated lawmakers, some of whom were already irked by attacks on Democrats from within their own House caucus.

Ocasio-Cortez raised eyebrows earlier in the week by asserting in an interview with the Washington Post that Pelosi was 'singling out...newly elected women of color.'

Those other women include Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN), and Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-MI), who have found some support in their tussle with Pelosi as well.

In a quick exchange with reporters just off the House floor, Ocasio-Cortez seemed frustrated with the situation.

“I've been on the floor for an hour voting.  No one came up to me, no one talked to me personally,” the New York Democrat said when asked about the Pelosi rift.

Asked if the situation was being handled correctly, Ocasio-Cortez shot back, “Of course not.”

But at her regular weekly news conference on Thursday, it was obvious that the Speaker did not want to dwell on the spat in public.

"How they're interpreting it and carrying it to another place is up to them, but I'm not going to be discussing it any further," the Speaker said.

When reporters pressed further, Pelosi was even more direct.

"That's all I'm going to say on the subject - so, if you want to waste your question, you can waste your question," the Speaker added.

Read More

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • An administration official said that U.S. Secretary of Energy Rick Perry has formally notified President Donald Trump that he intends to resign. >> Read more trending news  Perry was traveling with the president to Texas Thursday when he shared the news aboard Air Force One. Perry had disputed reports that he was planning to leave the administration in an interview Wednesday with The Wall Street Journal. But he reportedly left the door open, saying he expected to be at the Energy Department at Thanksgiving. He gave a less definitive answer, however, when asked whether he’d be there through the end of the year. Bloomberg News reported in April that Perry was reportedly planning to leave the Trump administration.  Perry became Energy secretary in 2017.The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • The U.S. and Turkey agreed Thursday to a five-day ceasefire in Syria, Vice President Mike Pence announced at a news conference in Turkey. >> Read more trending news  Pence said military operations will be paused for 120 hours on the border between Turkey and Syria to give U.S.-allied Syrian Kurds time to withdraw from the area. 'The Turkish side will pause Operation Peace Spring in order to allow for the withdrawal of YPG forces from the safe zone for 120 hours,' Pence said. 'All military operations under Operation Peace Spring will be paused, and Operation Peace Spring will be halted entirely on completion of the withdrawal.' The announcement came after a high-level delegation, including Pence and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, met with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Ankara. Trump praised the announcement Thursday while speaking with reporters in Forth Worth, Texas. He credited his threat of sanctions on Turkey as 'tough love' that led to the ceasefire. 'This is an incredible outcome,' Trump said. 'It's a great day for the United States. It's a great day for Turkey.' Erdogan announced Turkey launched a military operation in northern Syria last week, days after Trump pulled U.S. troops out of the region. Trump disavowed the decision in statement, saying he 'made it clear to Turkey that this operation is a bad idea.' The Associated Press reported the agreement, 'essentially gives the Turks what they had sought to achieve with their military operation in the first place.' Kurdish forces were not party to the agreement, and it was not immediately clear whether they would comply. Ankara has long argued the Kurdish fighters are nothing more than an extension of the Kurdistan Workers Party, or PKK, which has waged a guerrilla campaign inside Turkey since the 1980s and which Turkey, as well as the U.S. and European Union, designate as a terrorist organization. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • The next Group of Seven summit will be held in June at Trump National Doral Miami, one of President Donald Trump's golf resorts in Florida, acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney announced Thursday. >> Read more trending news  Mulvaney said officials considered about a dozen different locations for the meeting, which will be held June 10-12. 'Doral was far and away the best physical facility for this meeting,' Mulvaney said, adding that a site selection official told him, 'It's almost like they built this facility to host this type of event.' The site was chosen despite ongoing investigations into whether Trump has used his office for personal gain. Mulvaney said Thursday that he was unconcerned by the appearance of a conflict of interest. He told reporters Doral was chosen partially because the site was dramatically cheaper than others officials considered. 'There's no issue here on him profiting from this in any way, shape or form,' Mulvaney said. Trump has touted his resort, saying it's close to the airport, has plenty of hotel rooms and offers separate buildings for every delegation. When the United States has hosted the summit before, it has been held in Puerto Rico; Williamsburg, Virginia; Houston; Denver; Sea Island, Georgia; and Camp David, the presidential retreat in Maryland. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • Tropical storm warnings are in place along the Florida Panhandle for a tropical system that doesn’t even have a name yet. Potential Tropical Cyclone 16 is currently off the coast of Mexico in the southwest Gulf of Mexico.  In recent days, meteorologists at the National Hurricane Center have increased the storm’s chances of tropical development to 90-percent as of the NHC’s latest advisory. The storm is not expected to reach hurricane strength, but it is forecast to make landfall this weekend over the Panhandle as Tropical Storm Nestor. News 96.5 WDBO spoke to the National Weather Service office in Melbourne about what impacts Central Florida could see from the storm.  Meteorologist Scott Kelly says it could impact your weekend plans. “It looks like it will mainly be a rain producer for us with some embedded strong thunderstorms.  We’re not expecting a lot of strong winds with it, although there could be some strong winds with the thunderstorms that come through early on this weekend,” said Kelly. 

Washington Insider

  • Brushing aside questions about the ethics of hosting the G-7 summit at one of President Donald Trump's own  golf properties, the White House announced Thursday that the 2020 meeting of the G-7 will take place at the President's Doral resort in Miami, Florida. “Doral was by far and away - far and away - the best physical facility for this meeting,” said Acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney. Pressed repeatedly by reporters in a rare Q&A in the White House Briefing Room, Mulvaney gave the back of the hand to any ethical concerns. Democrats in Congress said the decision just screamed self-dealing by the President. “This is corruption in the open,” said Rep. Ted Lieu (D-CA). “Corruption in plain sight is still corruption,” said Rep. Seth Moulton (D-MA). “Unbelievably brazen. Taxpayer and foreign money funneled right to his own club as a result of a decision he is making as President,” tweeted Rep. Gregory Meeks (D-NY). “This is just open corruption,” said Rep. Ruben Gallego (D-AZ). “Congress should block any taxpayer money from going to G7 while it's at Trump's resort,” said Rep. Tim Ryan (D-OH). “This is a textbook case of unconstitutional conduct,” said Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-MD). “By holding G7 summit at his own resort, the President is using his office to enrich himself,” said Rep. Stephanie Murphy (D-FL). “This is corruption, plain and simple,” said Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), who is running for President. Outside ethics watchdog groups chimed in immediately. “By treating the G7 summit like a commercial for his businesses, inviting foreign governments to line his pockets and hold their next meeting at his Doral, FL golf course next year, he mocks the Constitution he swore to uphold,” said Constitutional Accountability Center President Elizabeth Wydra.