ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

clear-night
66°
Clear
H 75° L 54°
  • clear-night
    66°
    Current Conditions
    Clear. H 75° L 54°
  • clear-night
    55°
    Morning
    Clear. H 75° L 54°
  • clear-day
    70°
    Afternoon
    Sunny. H 73° L 55°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Sports
76ers agree trade Jahil Okafor, 2nd-round pick to Brooklyn
Close

76ers agree trade Jahil Okafor, 2nd-round pick to Brooklyn

76ers agree trade Jahil Okafor, 2nd-round pick to Brooklyn
Photo Credit: 8
FILE - In this Dec. 29, 2016, file photo, Philadelphia 76ers center Jahlil Okafor (8) drives to the basket as Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert (27) defends in the first half during an NBA basketball game in Salt Lake City. A person familiar with the deal says 76ers are set to trade beleaguered center Okafor to the Brooklyn Nets. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer, File)

76ers agree trade Jahil Okafor, 2nd-round pick to Brooklyn

Buried on the bench in Philly, Jahlil Okafor has a chance to prove in Brooklyn he's not a bust.

Okafor got his wish when the Philadelphia 76ers finally traded the No. 3 overall pick of the 2015 draft to the Brooklyn Nets. The deal ends the stalemate that had kept Okafor on the bench for all but two games this season.

Once a prized piece of The Process, Okafor rapidly fell out of favor with the rise of star center Joel Embiid.

"Love you. New beginnings," Embiid said he texted Okafor. "Good luck. And I made sure to let him know I was going to kick his (rear)."

Team president Bryan Colangelo said he reached a deal with a team he declined to name to trade Okafor last season until it fell apart at the last minute. That led to an awkward situation where Okafor didn't even travel with the team during the trade deadline. Okafor led the Sixers in scoring as a rookie with Embiid out with injuries. Okafor played 55 games last season and never really meshed with the franchise center. Okafor started piling up DNP-CDs and those stretched into this season, where the Sixers will chase a playoff berth without him.

"He can go play basketball again," coach Brett Brown said.

The Sixers also sent seldom-used guard Nik Stauskas, the No. 8 overall pick in the 2014 draft, and a 2019 second-round pick to the Nets for forward Trevor Booker. Booker, the 23rd overall pick of the 2010 draft by Washington, averaged 10.1 points with the Nets.

"There is a level of toughness and versatility that interests me," Brown said. "He's shown that he can play, handle not play and be good people and handle himself like a pro."

Okafor gave the Sixers plenty of headaches in his rookie season out of Duke with his off-court conduct, which included his role in Boston street fight that earned him TMZ scrutiny and a two-game suspension.

He was widely mocked last year for a lackadaisical defensive effort where he stood still and failed to contest shots in a game against Miami.

"I think like anybody that comes into our organization, we need to defend the basketball," Nets coach Kenny Atkinson said. "I think that will be a challenge for both of them. We need those guys to be two-way players."

Under former general manager Sam Hinkie, the Sixers orchestrated a plan to strip the roster of talent to gobble draft picks that could turn into future rotation players. Accused of tanking, the Sixers went 18-64 in 2014-15 and earned the No. 3 pick. They landed a flop instead of a future star. Okafor not only dropped behind Embiid on the depth chart, but this year was demoted behind Richaun Holmes and Amir Johnson.

"It's not easy to take a guy that was drafted third in the draft, after all the pain and strife that this organization and fan base went through, to just move away," Colangelo said.

Colangelo had no ties to Okafor and there was no secret of his desire to move him. Okafor played in 105 games (81 starts) with the Sixers and averaged 14.6 points, 5.9 rebounds, 1.2 assists and 26.2 minutes while shooting 51.0 percent from the field

"I wouldn't say there's regrets. I'd say there's human disappointment," Brown said. "We went through a lot together while he was here."

The Nets also requested waivers on guard Sean Kilpatrick. Atkinson said he was ready to help the two former first-rounders find success with the rebuilding Nets.

"I think they're coming into a strong locker room," Atkinson said.

"This trade provides us with a good opportunity to bring in two young players who were high picks in recent drafts and give them a chance to succeed in our system," Nets general manager Sean Marks said.

Booker was ready for a fresh start in Philly.

"It's been real Brooklyn . Will always have nothing but love for you. Loved my time in New York!!!" Booker tweeted Thursday night. "Philly what it do ?"

The Sixers played the Los Angeles Lakers, and the Nets were in Mexico City for a game against Oklahoma City later Thursday night.

___

Associated Press writer Carlos Rodriguez contributed from Mexico City

___

For more NBA coverage: https://apnews.com/tag/NBAbasketball

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • Dozens of deserving children with the Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida got to pick out Christmas gifts with the helping hands of the Orange County Fire Rescue. Each child received a gift card and was paired with a firefighter at the Toys “R” Us at Millenia on Thursday night. Firefighters dressed in their Class A uniform escorted the children around the store, while other firefighters in bunker gear wrapped the gifts outside. A fire engine was displayed for the children to enjoy. Santa also dropped by. Donations are still being accepted in order to benefit more children. Click here to learn more.
  • GOP nearing huge victory as Republicans unveil final tax reform deal Republicans on Friday evening unveiled the details of a final tax reform compromise, as the drive for approval of a sweeping package of GOP tax reforms gained new momentum, with two key Senators announcing their support for the plan, as party leaders planned final votes in the House and Senate for next week, on the verge of a major political victory. “This bill is far from perfect,” said Sen. Bob Corker (R-TN), who voted against the original Senate plan. “But after great thought and consideration, I believe that this once-in-a-generation opportunity…is one we should not miss.” Corker’s announcement came soon after Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) signaled his support, after a late change to the bill’s details on a child tax credit provision, all but insuring that the plan would make it through the Senate. First, here are the links to the important documents: + This is the text of the bill, along with some explanation of the provisions. + This second document also offers more details on what was agreed to in the final conference report. Now, let’s see what we find: –
  • A 17-year-old Wekiva High School student has been arrested for bringing a gun to school, Orange County deputies said. On Friday, Clevens Delice posted a video on Snapchat of himself with the gun, and a student notified school resource officers at the school, deputies said. Deputies later confirmed the gun was loaded. Delice faces charges of possession of a firearm on school grounds and possession of an altered firearm. Eyewitness News has named the juvenile because both offenses are felony charges. Delice did not threaten anyone with the firearm, deputies said. Sheriff Jerry Demings applauded the student who reported that Delice had a gun, investigators said. 'They did the right thing. I don't know who they were, but they should be getting a gold medal basically,' student Jesse Sanders told  Channel 9’s Len Kiese . Principal Michele Erickson sent a phone message to parents to alert them of the situation and to let parents know the school was briefly placed on lockdown while deputies located Delice, investigators said. 'The appropriate disciplinary action will be handed out in accordance with the code of student conduct,' Erickson said in the phone message.
  • Pregnant women have to take a ton of precautions to help keep their babies healthy healthy. A new report suggests avoiding fracking sites should be one of them.  >> Read more trending news While fracking, the process of injecting liquid into the ground to free up petroleum resources, can benefit local economies, there are potential health risks. That’s why researchers from Princeton University, the University of Chicago and other institutions across the country recently conducted a study, which was published in Science Advances, to determine the human health hazards associated with fracking. To do so, they analyzed 1.1 million births in Pennsylvania between 2004 and 2013, examining expectant mothers who lived between 1 and 3 kilometers from fracking areas, before and after the wells were active, and those who lived 10 miles or more away. Analysts then compared the birth weights of siblings born at different distances to wells.  They found that pregnant women living within two-thirds of a mile to a fracturing well were more likely to give birth to a smaller infant than women who lived at least 10 miles away during pregnancy. In fact, babies born to mothers who lived closest to or, about 1 kiometer within, a well were 25 percent more likely to weigh less than 5.5 pounds, which is classified as a low birth weight. Low birth weights are linked to infant mortality, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, asthma, lower test scores, lower schooling attainment and lower lifetime earnings. “Given the growing evidence that pollution affects babies in utero, it should not be surprising that fracking, which is a heavy industrial activity, has negative effects on infants,” Janet M. Currie, co-author of the study, said in a statement. While scientists are unsure whether the pollution is coming from air, water, on-site chemicals or increased traffic, they said the results prove “hydraulic fracturing does have an impact on our health.” They are now looking forward to investigating the source of the pollution and challenging lawmakers to consider the dangers to health. “As local and state policymakers decide whether to allow hydraulic fracturing in their communities,” co-author of the study Michael Greenstone said, “it is crucial that they carefully examine the costs and benefits, including the potential impacts from pollution.”
  • Guns, drugs and money were confiscated during recent busts in Seminole County. At least 21 people have been arrested in the racketing and drug case that spanned a nine month investigation involving the Sheriff's Office and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's Homeland Security Investigations, investigators said. Deputies identified some of the suspects as Carlos Alicea-Mota, 27, Juan Rafael Montanez-Concepcion, 33, Osvaldo Nieves-Ortiz, 26, Kennya Perez-Diaz, 29, Mar Perez-Diaz, 25, Roberto Perez-Guadalupe, 24, Quinton Rumph, 34, Terry Tillman, 30, Quentin Terrill Wilson, 40. Heroin, cocaine, marijuana, fentanyl, firearms and money were seized in the operation in Seminole and Orange counties, deputies said. Agents believe the suspects imported 25 to 30 kilograms of cocaine and one kilogram of heroin into Central Florida every month since July. 'Some of these folks feel they are untouchable and I'm so glad to see these arrests. I am so glad we could round these individuals up and get them off the streets,' Seminole County Sheriff Dennis Lemma said. Deputies have investigated many drug overdoses in recent months and drug dealers have been charged in people's deaths, investigators said. There were 51 overdoses and four documented deaths in 2015 and 116 overdoses and 12 documented deaths in 2016, investigators said. Deputies said from Jan. to Nov. there have been 213 overdoses and 34 documented deaths. Narcan was used 103 times this year to save lives, investigators said.   #New: These are the 10 individuals arrested as part of @SeminoleSO operation. Livestream of news conference begins at 2pm on https://t.co/Szuzf2fTXS #WFTV pic.twitter.com/xR9Tthpu7k — Jeff Levkulich (@jlevkulichWFTV) December 15, 2017     #New:@SeminoleSO showing off several of the guns and drugs confiscated during a recent operation. Will give us specifics on https://t.co/QfmVTaS2zV coverage https://t.co/Szuzf2fTXS #WFTV pic.twitter.com/U3OaUfD1UJ — Jeff Levkulich (@jlevkulichWFTV) December 15, 2017