ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

clear-day
66°
Partly Cloudy
H 72° L 56°
  • clear-day
    66°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 72° L 56°
  • cloudy-day
    65°
    Evening
    Partly Cloudy. H 72° L 56°
  • cloudy-day
    56°
    Morning
    Mostly Cloudy. H 75° L 55°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National
'Saturday Night Live' women defend Sen. Al Franken after groping allegations
Close

'Saturday Night Live' women defend Sen. Al Franken after groping allegations

What You Need To Know About Al Franken

'Saturday Night Live' women defend Sen. Al Franken after groping allegations

More than 30 women who worked with Sen. Al Franken on “Saturday Night Live,” defended the embattled lawmaker in an open later Tuesday, writing that while working with him “not one of us ever experienced any inappropriate behavior.”

>> Read more trending news

The women, including former SNL cast members Jane Curtin and Laraine Newman, writers and producers, wrote that they felt “compelled to stand up for Al Franken” in the wake of allegations that he forced himself on Los Angeles news anchor Leeann Tweeden in 2006.

Franken apologized after Tweeden made her allegations public last week in a blog post for KABC.

>> Related: Sen. Al Franken accused of kissing, groping news anchor without consent

“What Al did was stupid and foolish, and we think it was appropriate for him to apologize to Ms. Tweeden, and to the public,” the letter said.

“In our experience, we know Al as a devoted and dedicated family man, a wonderful comedic performer, and an honorable public servant. That is why we are moved to quickly and directly affirm that after years of working with him, we would like to acknowledge that not one of us ever experienced any inappropriate behavior; and mention our sincere appreciation that he treated each of us with the utmost respect and regard.”

Franken worked on “Saturday Night Live” as a writer and a featured player from 1977 to 1980 and from 1988 to 1995.

Tweeden said last week that she was forcibly kissed by Franken, who was a radio host for Air America at the time, and groped in her sleep during a USO tour in 2006. She shared an image of herself sleeping as Franken’s hands hovered over her chest as evidence of the incident.

Franken apologized and called for an ethics investigation into the incident.

"I don't know what was in my head when I took that picture, and it doesn't matter," Franken said in a statement released Thursday. "There's no excuse. I look at it now and I feel disgusted with myself. It isn't funny. It's completely inappropriate. It's obvious how Leeann would feel violated by that picture."

A second woman came forward Monday, accusing Franken of groping her as they posed for a photo at the 2010 Minnesota State Fair.

>> Related: Sen. Al Franken accused of groping woman in 2010

Lindsay Menz told CNN that Franken, “pulled me in really close, like awkward close, and as my husband took the picture, (Franken) put his hand full-fledged on my rear.”

In a statement to CNN, Franken said he didn’t remember taking the photo but that he felt “badly that Ms. Menz came away from our interaction feeling disrespected.”

Carolyn Kaster/AP
Senate Judiciary Committee member Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., pauses during a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on nominations on Capitol Hill in Washington, Wednesday, Nov. 15, 2017. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)
Close

'Saturday Night Live' women defend Sen. Al Franken after groping allegations

Photo Credit: Carolyn Kaster/AP
Senate Judiciary Committee member Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., pauses during a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on nominations on Capitol Hill in Washington, Wednesday, Nov. 15, 2017. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • Patrol officers with Mount Dora police are riding around with comfort bears  to hand out to children during certain emergency calls. The bears were made by volunteers who spent 200 hours crafting them from old police uniforms gathered up by Chief John O’Grady. “It’s a wonderful gift and a great use of material. I want to thank the citizens of Mount Dora and our eight volunteers that came forward and put these together for us,” he said. Comfort bears were made back in the 90’s to help children and Chief O’Grady saw that the need is still present today. The first bears will be handed out this weekend.
  • Police in Dunwoody, Georgia, are working to find a boy who stole a Salvation Army kettle. A young boy grabbed the kettle being watched by Todd Copper, who has been collecting money for the Salvation Army for 21 years despite having cerebral palsy and manning his post from a wheelchair. “I sit out here like nine hours, 10 hours a day,” he said. “I’m helping a lot of people who cannot do it on their own.” >> Read more trending news  Tom Copper, his father, said his son has never let his physical limitations hold him back. “Even though he’s in a wheelchair, he believes that he can do things that other people can't,” he said of his son. Todd Copper said he never had a problem at his post at Perimeter Mall until Monday afternoon. “An approximately 10 - 12 year old male approached him, snatched his collection bucket, and took off running,” Sgt. Robert Parsons with the Dunwoody Police Department told WSB.  Police hope surveillance video will help them catch the thief. “He was really distraught,” Tom Copper said. The father said his son continued to take donations after the theft. “He said, ‘No, I want to stay here.’ And even though he didn't have a bucket, people were putting money on his lap,' Tom Cooper said. Police said they are hopeful mall and MARTA surveillance cameras may help catch the suspect.
  • U.S. Rep. Blake Farenthold announced he won’t seek re-election, less than a week after a House committee opened an investigation into sexual harassment claims from a former aide. >> Read more trending news
  • Five years after tragedy struck Newtown, relatives of the victims of the Sandy Hook school shooting are fighting to prevent what happened there from ever happening again.  Thursday will mark five years since 20 first-graders and six adults were shot and killed inside Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newton. >> Read more trending news Nicole Hockley, whose son, 6-year-old Dylan, was killed, spoke to Boston 25 News reporter Robert Goulston about how she helped to release a video calling on people to do more to stop mass shootings. The Sandy Hook Promise video depicts a tragedy similar to the one at Sandy Hook, one day before it happens. “To have it played out as something before a shooting takes place -- it really hammers that message home,” Hockley said. 'The end of the PSA has a little bit of a gut punch but gun violence is not comfortable and as a country, I think we've become a little too comfortable with.” Sandy Hook Promise was co-founded by several families who lost loved ones in the shooting. The PSA was released this week as a way of trying to change behaviors that seem to play out over and over.  “The mass shootings. That tears the scab right off my heart and makes everything incredibly fresh and painful again especially when there’s children involved,” Hockley said. The anniversaries are also incredibly difficult. >> Related: Newtown marks fifth anniversary of deadly Sandy Hook shooting 'The pain, it never goes away. There is no closure on this. There is no moving on,' she said. But she says Dylan is still by her side, keeping focused preventing this violence.  'His legacy lives on through these programs and that's the only way I can think to pay tribute to my little boy,” she said. 'Knowing that we are having an impactm that fuels us. Because that's all we want to do and that helps save lives.' There is no permanent memorial in Newtown. A commission has been working for years to design and pick a location. Recently, a resident donated five acres not far from the school - but they are still working on a design.
  • A 93-year-old Eustis woman was in jail Wednesday night after being arrested for allegedly refusing to leave her home at National Church Residences’ Franklin House after being evicted, police said. >> Read more trending news Juanita Fitzgerald was jailed just days before her 94th birthday on Friday. According to a Eustis Police Department arrest report, Fitzgerald had been “made well aware the day prior of her being evicted (Tuesday).” She was being evicted after falling behind on her rent, police said. When officers arrived at the senior living facility in the 2400 block of Kurt Street, Fitzgerald was in the lobby. “After several times telling Juanita to get her belongings and leave, she refused officers’ commands and stated, ‘Unless you carry me out of here, I’m not going anywhere,’” the report said. Fitzgerald was warned that she would be arrested if she did not leave, but continued to refuse to move. “Juanita still did not listen and refused to leave, stating again to ‘carry me out of here,’” the report said. The 5-foot-tall, 100-pound woman purposefully slid onto the floor as officers tried to escort her from the building and allegedly resisted officers’ attempts to lift her up, investigators said. Fitzgerald was eventually escorted to an officer’s patrol vehicle and taken to the Lake County Jail. The officer noted that due to her age and possibility of injury, Fitzgerald was not handcuffed. The Eustice police report said that Franklin House staff offered to help her move, but she refused. She also refused assistance from the Department of Children and Families, The Homeless Coalition, Department of Elder Affairs and eight other agencies, officers said. Fitzgerald was being held at the Lake County Jail in lieu of a $500 bond on a charge of trespassing.