ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
91°
Sunny
H 94° L 77°
  • cloudy-day
    91°
    Current Conditions
    Sunny. H 94° L 77°
  • clear-day
    78°
    Morning
    Sunny. H 94° L 77°
  • cloudy-day
    92°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 95° L 77°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National
Obamacare: What did the Senate do last night?
Close

Obamacare: What did the Senate do last night?

Obamacare: What did the Senate do last night?
FILE - In this Oct. 6, 2015, file photo, the HealthCare.gov website, where people can buy health insurance, is displayed on a laptop screen in Washington. The Obama administration says 6.4 million people have signed up so far this year for subsidized private insurance coverage through HealthCare.gov. Despite rising premiums, dwindling insurers, and a Republican vow to repeal “Obamacare,” enrollment is running ahead of last year’s pace. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File)

Obamacare: What did the Senate do last night?

Early Thursday morning, the Senate passed a measure that is the first step in repealing the Affordable Care Act, or "Obamacare."

The nonbinding budget measure, which passed 51-48, will make it easier for future legislation to repeal President Barack Obama’s signature health care law.

The 2010 law set up exchanges to sell health care polices to millions of Americans who could not get health care insurance because of pre-existing conditions or because they could not afford it. The legislation also poured billions of dollars into states’ Medicaid programs for the poor.

In the past two years, many major insurance companies have pulled out of the exchanges, because they claim they lost too much money paying claims without bringing in enough new, healthy payers to make up a profit.

The House is expected to vote on the measure Friday. While Republicans hold the majority there, some GOP members have said they want to see a plan to replace the ACA before they vote to repeal it.

Here’s a look at the process to dismantle Obamacare that began with the vote early Thursday:

Why is the vote significant?

Thursday's Senate vote was a procedural oneNo law was passed. What was passed was a budget resolution bill. Included in that legislation was a procedure that set up special rules that will allow a bill to repeal the Affordable Care Act to move forward. The procedure is known as reconciliation. 

The rules will let portions of a bill to repeal the ACA to move forward with only a simple majority vote in the Senate. That means that instead of requiring 60 votes to move legislation, it will take only 51 votes.

There are 52 Republicans in the Senate this term.

Wednesday’s vote was one to begin debating a 2017 budget. That is the first step in repealing the ACA.

What does reconciliation do?

Under reconciliation, certain legislation cannot be held up by a filibuster, a delaying tactic used to block legislation or procedural votes. A filibuster can happen when a senator is recognized to speak on the Senate floor. He or she may speak as long as they wish, potentially holding up a vote on legislation.
It takes a motion known as cloture to end a filibuster.

A cloture motion requires a three-fifths majority (60 votes out of the 100 votes in the Senate) to end a filibuster. First, however, 16 senators must present the motion, then a day must pass before the motion is considered. If the motion passes – that is 60 senators vote to end a filibuster – 30 more hours of debate is still allowed.

Democrats used reconciliation in part to get the Affordable Care Act passed in 2010.

Does reconciliation works with all legislation?

Reconciliation is only allowed with budget issues, legislation that has to do with federal spending or taxes. Reconciliation bills are not subject to a filibuster in the Senate. Debate is limited to 20 hours under Senate rules.

So the repeal of the ACA is a done deal now?

No, it isn’t, and here is why. To replace the ACA requires legislative action that has nothing to do with the budgeting process.

Much of the replacement of the law would take place outside of the reconciliation process. Since it would be outside of the that process, it would be subject to filibusters, thus Republicans would need Democratic votes to get over the 60-vote filibuster threshold. (Remember, there are only 52 Republican Senate members).

What’s the next step?

On Friday, the House is expected to pass the budget measure passed by the Senate Thursday.

What are some of the replacement plans?
That is something that is not known yet. According to Politico, there is a Jan. 27 deadline for a draft of the legislation that would replace the ACA. Some senators want to push the deadline to March 3.

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., said Wednesday that Republicans hope to get a plan on the new legislation to President-elect Donald Trump by the end of February.

Some Republicans want to see what is being proposed before they consider repealing the ACA. No replacement legislation has been made public.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission confirms they’ve investigating a video on social media showing a group of men dragging a shark behind their boat. Whoever is recording pans over to reveal three men on the boat, laughing as the shark is being dragged at a high rate of speed.  The shark appears to be tied by its tail. (Mobile users click here to see video) Investigators said they don’t know who originally posted the video, where it was shot, or what happened to the shark. A spokesperson for FWC said they take the incident very seriously and are attempting to identify everyone in the video. South Florida sport fisherman Mark Quartiano, also known as “Mark the Shark,” re-posted the video on his Instagram page and condemned it, saying “Force once I may have to agree with Peta.” (Click here to see Instagram post) Anyone with information is urged to contact the FWC’s Wildlife Alert Hotline at 888-404-3922 or Tip@MyFWC.com.  Individuals can choose to remain anonymous.
  • Last year more than 6,000 juveniles were arrested in Orange County. Now the Orange County Sheriff’s Office and community leaders are asking for help to keep kids and teens out of trouble.  Orange County has the highest number of juvenile arrests in the state of Florida and according to the Florida Department of Juvenile Justice many of those arrests come from Pine Hills.  Though agency data show that deputies are expecting that number to go down this year,  Orange County Sheriff’s Office Capt. Angelo Nieves said it will take help.  “The struggle to help youth in the community is an ongoing one, though, so while things are improving, there is still a lot of work to do,” Nieves said.  Community outreach leaders Miles Mulrain and Emory “Zulu Dynasty” James are part of the help needed in the community. Their nonprofit organization Let Your Voice Be Heard, works to keep youth out of trouble.  “We don’t want to see these young people incarcerated and destroying their lives. Certain experiences we’ve had motivate and inspire us to get out,” James said.  However Mulrain and James said that getting the number of arrests down will also take help from the community.  “One of the biggest things to have is more involvement from other groups, more involvement from neighbors and residents,” Mulrain said. “The more hands on deck, the more we can all do.”  Mulrain said with a little help each person can make a positive change.  “It’s up to us to make it happen, and that’s just to show that you don’t need to have everything you think to make a change,” Mulrain said. 
  • Police in Prince William County, Virginia, have rescinded a warrant to arrest former Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Lucky Whitehead. “Upon reviewing the June 22, 2017, arrest of an individual named ‘Rodney Darnell Whitehead, Jr.,’ the police department is confident that the man charged with petit larceny, and who is subsequently being sought on an active warrant for failure to appear in court, is not Lucky Whitehead of the Dallas Cowboys,” said a statement from the Prince William County Police Department. 'The police department regrets the impact these events had on Mr. Whitehead and his family.' >> Read more trending news TMZ reported Monday during the Cowboys’ morning walk-through that the receiver was arrested for shoplifting on June 22 and had a warrant out for his arrest after failing to appear for a July 6 court date. When informed of the matter, Whitehead said he knew nothing of it and the allegations were false. In a press conference, coach Jason Garrett said the Cowboys had just discovered the situation as the walk-through was concluding and that the team would “respond accordingly.” Later that day, the Cowboys released him. When Cowboys chief operating officer Stephen Jones was asked if he had spoken with Whitehead’s agent about the possibility of it being a case of mistaken identity, as was being reported from Whitehead’s camp, Jones said, “I’m not going to comment on that.” Whitehead was the example the Cowboys used to demonstrate accountability after an offseason that has seen defensive end David Irving suspended for a performance-enhancing drug policy violation, linebacker Damien Wilson arrested on charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and running back Ezekiel Elliott allegedly involved in a night club incident.
  • Deland police and the Volusia County Sheriff’’s Office are tracking a suspect after after a Tuesday morning bank robbery. No one was hurt and the suspect fled on foot towards Interstate 4, according to DeLand Police.  The suspect entered the PNC Bank at 111 Endicott Way shortly after 10 a.m. and demanded money. He left with an undisclosed amount of cash. Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-888-277-8477. People may remain anonymous and those with information leading to an arrest could be eligible for a reward.
  • Immigrants who survived a trip inside a big rig in which eight people were found dead in San Antonio this weekend told police as many as 180 to 200 people had been in the trailer at some point during the trip, according to court documents. >> Read more trending news A criminal complaint filed Monday against James Mathew Bradley Jr. also outlines the danger and cost of crossing the Texas-Mexico border illegally, including an expensive river crossing and protection payments to men with alleged ties to the notorious Zetas drug cartel. When authorities found the vehicle on the southwest side of San Antonio on Sunday, there were 39 people inside, including the eight dead. Two more died from their injuries after being taken to area hospitals for treatment. The immigrants, identified only by their initials, told investigators that they had paid thousands of dollars to enter the country. One told authorities he was traveling with seven relatives in a group of 24 people. He said he’d been held in a stash house in Laredo for 11 days before boarding the rig. “He stated when his group arrived at the tractor-trailer, there were already 70 people in the trailer and it was very hot,” the complaint said. Another immigrant told investigators that he was going to pay smugglers $5,500 when he arrived at his final destination in San Antonio. But even before, he was told by a smuggler that that people linked to the Zetas drug cartel would charge 11,000 pesos (about $622) for protection and another 1,500 pesos (about $85) to cross into the United States by raft at a deep section of the river. “The money was collected and his group crossed the river by raft in three trips,” the complaint said. One of the undocumented immigrants told federal investigators that “people had a hole in the trailer wall to provide some ventilation, and they started taking turns breathing from the hole.'f The victims “were very hot to the touch” and the “people were in this trailer without any signs of any type of water,” San Antonio Fire Chief Charles Hood said. Temperatures reached a searing 101 degrees in San Antonio on Saturday and didn’t drop below 90 degrees until after 10 p.m. Authorities said 39 people were in the truck when rescue workers arrived early Sunday. Four of the survivors appeared to be between 10 and 17 years old, ICE acting Director Thomas Homan said. Bradley was charged Monday with transporting immigrants in the U.S. illegally for 'commercial advantage or private financial gain.' The Associated Press reported that the charge could qualify for a death penalty sentence if Bradley is convicted. The Associated Press and the Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.