ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
78°
Mostly Clear
H 84° L 64°
  • cloudy-day
    78°
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Clear. H 84° L 64°
  • clear-night
    75°
    Evening
    Mostly Clear. H 84° L 64°
  • clear-day
    65°
    Morning
    Sunny. H 86° L 68°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National
Lawsuit: 2-year-old drank beverage contaminated by Starbucks barista’s blood
Close

Lawsuit: 2-year-old drank beverage contaminated by Starbucks barista’s blood

VIDEO: Toddler Drank Starbucks Beverage Allegedly Contaminated By Barista's Blood

Lawsuit: 2-year-old drank beverage contaminated by Starbucks barista’s blood

A California family has filed a lawsuit against Starbucks after they claim their toddler daughter drank a beverage that had been contaminated by a barista’s blood.

Amanda and Louis Vice, of Redlands, filed suit regarding a Feb. 6, 2016, visit to a Starbucks coffee shop in San Bernardino, according to a news release from the Frish Law Group in Los Angeles. The couple, their then-2-year-old daughter and Louis Vice’s mother visited the location and ordered drinks that they took home with them.

After drinking the beverages, they noticed a red smear on one of the signature Starbucks cups, as well as a strong metallic odor, the news release said. There was also a red stain on another of the cups, from which two of them, including the little girl, had been drinking. 

Amanda Vice told KTLA in Los Angeles that she didn’t see anything at first.

“Once we drank it, then we could see on the inside of the rim that there was blood,” Vice told the news station, adding that her daughter had been licking the lid and eating whipped cream from the inside of the cup.

After determining that no one in the family was bleeding, the Vices called Starbucks, at which point they “confirmed that there was, in fact, an employee who was bleeding, but had since been removed from the sales floor,” the law firm’s news release stated.

“My wife and my baby just drank someone’s blood,” Louis Vice told KTLA. “It was bad.”

The Vices were offered free drinks for a week, but were “extremely concerned” that they, their daughter or Louis Vice’s mother could become sick if the employee had any diseases communicable by blood, such as HIV, the couple’s lawyer, Stan Pekler, said in the news release. The manager initially agreed, but never followed through with having the employee get a blood test to reassure the family of their safety.

“The family was then left to schedule their own blood tests, causing extreme distress for the parents, as they had to watch their daughter be poked with a needle and agonizingly wait for the results,” Pekler said

Though the initial results were all negative, the family had to be retested again six months later to ensure that no HIV antibodies popped up after the round of tests. 

“This caused the family stress, nervousness, fright, anguish, grief, anxiety, worry and shock for several months while awaiting the second round of test results,” Pekler’s statement read. 

>> Read more trending news

Pekler and the family began negotiating with Starbucks for a proper resolution to the situation, and the company offered each family member $1,000 for their trouble, the statement said. 

“This does not begin to compensate the family for suffered injuries and damages for which Starbucks is liable,” the news release stated. “Immediately upon learning they had consumed beverages that contained human blood, the family experienced suffering, as well as feelings of anguish, fright, horror, nervousness, grief, anxiety, worry, shock, humiliation, and shame. They endured additional distress because Starbucks seemed to not care about their well-being and refused to direct the employee to undergo a blood test to ensure the family's safety.”

“We felt sick to our stomachs,” Amanda Vice told KTLA. “We shouldn’t have to worry about going to get something to drink and there being blood in our drink where we could get sick.”

The lawsuit seeks damages on claims of failure to warn the family, negligence, breach of express and implied warranty, fraud, intentional infliction of emotional distress, battery, assault, negligent hiring and negligent training and supervision, Pekler said

A Starbucks representative told KTLA that the company is aware of the lawsuit and is prepared to present its own case in court. 

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • Millions of BB&T customers have been locked out of their accounts due to an outage that bank officials say has been caused by a 'technical issue.' The interruption of services was first reported Thursday night but had not been resolved by early Friday. >> Read more trending news “At this time, many of our services are unavailable, including digital banking, Phone24, and ATM. Thank you for your patience as we work diligently to restore your services. We will continue to provide updates here and on http://BBT.com,” the Winston-Salem-based bank tweeted. WSOCTV tried to access a BB&T ATM in uptown Charlotte, but the message “Sorry, this ATM is temporarily offline,' was displayed on the screen. The company's website said many of its other banking services were down as well, including digital banking and Phone24, meaning customers cannot pay bills or check their accounts. The bank said customers will still be able to use their debit, credit and prepaid cards at places like the grocery store or gas station. A bank spokesperson told WSOCTV, 'We understand this is causing a major inconvenience for clients and our teams are continuing to work diligently to restore those services. We will work with clients who have incurred fees or experienced other challenges and continue to provide updates through our website and social media. At this time, we have no reason to believe this issue is related to cybersecurity.
  • A man is accused of hitting a woman with his pickup in Texas after she refused his advances toward her, according to an arrest affidavit. >> Read more trending news Carlos Amozurrutia, 27, of Round Rock, was charged with accident involving personal injury, a third-degree felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison. The victim said Amozurrutia was giving her a ride home Sunday when he began making unwanted advances toward her, the affidavit said. It said she told him to stop so he stopped his pickup and pushed her out. She said that when he drove away, he struck her with the truck, the affidavit said. It said police were alerted at 2:26 a.m. Sunday about the incident in the 400 block of Blockhouse Drive. The victim had an injury on the left side of her face, and also scratches and red marks on her hands and knees, according to the affidavit. The affidavit does not say how the victim and Amozurrutia knew each other. A witness who also was in the pickup said she got out of the truck with the victim and saw it strike her, the affidavit said. It also said two other witnesses who were driving by saw the victim struck and knocked to the ground by an open door on the passenger side when the truck pulled away. It said the two witnesses told police the driver left without offering to help the victim. Police stopped Amozurrutia at a nearby gas station for an unrelated offense and were able to identify his truck as the one that hit the victim, the affidavit said. Amozurrutia was released from the Williamson County Jail on Sunday after posting bail set at $75,000.
  • Only on Orlando’s Morning News with Joe Kelley You don’t usually have to look too far to find fun things to do around Central Florida, and we’ve got you covered by selecting the best of the best each week. Laurel Lee talked through our top weekend picks early Friday morning on Orlando’s Morning News with Joe Kelley. The icFlorida Fun 3: 10th Annual Downtown Food & Wine Fest The 10th Annual Downtown Food & Wine Fest takes place in the heart of downtown Orlando at Lake Eola on Robinson Street, and the two-day Fest features mouth-watering dishes from 30 of Orlando’s premier restaurants, 50 domestic & international wines, and live entertainment.    7th annual Central Florida Dragon Parade Lunar New Year Festival The Year of the Dog marks the 7th annual Central Florida Dragon Parade Lunar New Year Festival held in Orlando, Florida. UCF Fan Experience and Fight Night The UFC Fan Experience and Fight Night will take over the Amway Center this Saturday.   Before you head out for any of these awesome events, be sure to check the icFlorida Weekend Events Weather Forecast from WFTV meteorologist Brian Shields.
  • In a speech to a large gathering of conservative political activists outside Washington, D.C., President Donald Trump on Friday said he is committed to forcing security changes in America’s schools, which he says will cut down on the threat of mass school shootings, like the one last week in Parkland, Florida that killed 17 people. “We will act, we will do something,” the President said in a speech to the Conservative Political Action Conference. “We will act.” Mr. Trump on Friday again repeated his support for his call to allow certain teachers and administrators to carry a concealed weapon in school, all to form a line of defense. “Why do we protect our airports and banks, but not our schools?” the President said. At #CPAC2018, Trump renews his call for 'gun-adept' school staff to be armed: 'When we declare our schools to be gun-free zones, it just puts our students in far more danger' https://t.co/K3rEyFsN7e https://t.co/kNnFYsQAXV — CNN Politics (@CNNPolitics) February 23, 2018 “Our schools are essentially gun-free zones and that makes them very dangerous places,” Mr. Trump added. Both at the speech, and earlier in the day at the White House, Mr. Trump said he was disappointed in the reaction of an armed deputy, who was stationed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, but did not confront the gunman who was shooting inside. “When it came time to get in there and do something, he didn’t have the courage or something happened. But he certainly did a poor job,” the President told reporters before boarding Marine One. President Trump says the Parkland sheriff who did not enter Marjory Stoneman Douglas High during the shooting 'certainly did a poor job — there's no question about that' https://t.co/9jVQ6bkOKr https://t.co/frVLMDkkjs — CNN Politics (@CNNPolitics) February 23, 2018 At CPAC, the President also expressed his support for more efforts to put mental health information into the current instant background check system for gun buyers, and said it’s time for police and authorities to do more about people who have mental health issues. “We will really have to strengthen up background checks,” the President said. “We have to do that.” Several times, Mr. Trump seemed to be publicly cajoling the National Rifle Association to accept his plans on guns and school security, as the President reminded his audience that he was a staunch defender of the Second Amendment. “Let’s get it done right,” the President said of action on a variety of fronts to deal with school shootings. “We really owe it to our country.” The President on Friday did not mention his call to raise the minimum purchase age for a gun like an AR-15 from 18 years old to 21 years old – that proposal has already drawn some concern from Republicans in the Congress, and reports of resistance inside the NRA as well. Also in his CPAC speech, Mr. Trump ran through a familiar list of achievements during his first term in office, talking up a major package of tax cuts, the end of dozens of regulations, and the confirmation of conservative federal judges. “Don’t get complacent,” the President urged the crowd, telling them a victory for Democrats in the Congress in the 2018 mid-term elections would endanger a number of his accomplishments. “They will take away those massive tax cuts, and they will take away your Second Amendment,” the President said of Democrats. “We’ve got seven years to go,” Mr. Trump said to cheers. “We’re finally rebuilding our nation.” There was also a lighter moment, as President Trump noted that the big video boards in the convention hall might show something he tries to avoid. Trump admits to hiding his bald-spot as he gets distracted by his own image during a speech at CPAC pic.twitter.com/3Onp8xuMcK — Jenni Missye White (@Missycilious) February 23, 2018 “I try like hell to hide that bald spot,” the Preisdent said to cheers.
  •   An 8-year-old Florida girl became the subject of an Amber Alert on Thursday, according to officials with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.   FDLE officials said an Amber Alert for Juliet Odierna, of Cape Coral, has been canceled.   She was wearing a blue polo shirt, khaki skorts and black shoes.    FDLE officials said she might have been with Jennifer Odierna, 34, and Theodore Moschovas, 37.   FDLE didn't say if there was any type of relationship between Juliet and the two adults.   No other details were given.