ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

clear-night
64°
Sct Thunderstorms
H 78° L 64°
  • clear-night
    64°
    Current Conditions
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 78° L 64°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    77°
    Afternoon
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 78° L 64°
  • cloudy-day
    70°
    Evening
    Cloudy. H 78° L 64°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National Govt & Politics
Report: Trump expected to sign new executive order on immigration Monday
Close

Report: Trump expected to sign new executive order on immigration Monday

Report: Trump expected to sign new executive order on immigration Monday
Photo Credit: Pool
WASHINGTON, DC - JANUARY 28: President Donald Trump signs three executive actions in the Oval Office on January 28, 2017 in Washington, DC. The actions outline a reorganization of the National Security Council, implement a five year lobbying ban on administration officials and a lifetime ban on administration officials lobbying for a foreign country and calls on military leaders to present a report to the president in 30 days that outlines a strategy for defeating ISIS. (Photo by Pete Marovich - Pool/Getty Images)

Report: Trump expected to sign new executive order on immigration Monday

UPDATE: Politico is reporting that President Donald Trump is expected to sign a new executive order on immigration Monday at the Department of Homeland Security. 

The White House has not confirmed this information.

Read the original report below.

President Donald Trump plans to issue a new executive order soon after a panel of federal judges unanimously upheld a lower court's decision to suspend his immigration order amid challenges by state attorneys earlier this month.

>> Read more trending stories

"We will be issuing a new and very comprehensive order to protect our people," Trump said Thursday at a news conference.

He added that the order is being "tailored" to the decision made on Feb. 9 by judges in the San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

"The president intends in the near future to rescind the order and replace it with a new, substantially revised executive order to eliminate what the panel erroneously thought were constitutional concerns," the Justice Department wrote in briefs filed Thursday. "In so doing, the president will clear the way for immediately protecting the country rather than pursuing further, potentially time-consuming litigation."

A three-judge panel last week rejected arguments from the administration that the president has broad discretion over immigration policy, particularly when the policies cite national security concerns.

"Rather than present evidence to explain the need for the executive order, the government has taken the position that we must not review its decision at all," the judges wrote in their decision. "There is no precedent to support this claimed unreviewability, which runs contrary to the fundamental structure of our constitutional democracy."

>> Related: U.S. Appeals Court unanimously upholds suspension of Trump travel ban

The states at the center of the case, Washington and Minnesota, showed that they would likely suffer "irreparable harm" because of the order, which they said "unconstitutionally and illegally stranded its residents abroad, split their families, restricted their travel and damaged the state's economy and public universities," the judges determined.

The panel did not rule on the constitutionality of the ban.

Trump told reporters last week that he might sign "a brand-new order" after the judges' decision. Still, he remained adamant that the order would ultimately pass constitutional muster.

>> Related: Trump's immigration ban: What to know

"We will win that battle," he said. "The unfortunate part is that it takes time statutorily, but we will win that battle. We also have a lot of other options, including just filing a brand-new order."

Trump signed the initial immigration order on Jan. 27. It suspended travelers from seven Muslim-majority countries for 90 days and paused the country's refugee program for 120 days. Refugees from Syria were indefinitely banned and authorities were directed to prioritize refugee applications based on applicants' religious beliefs after the 120-day period.

The order elicited protests nationwide and widespread confusion at airports, but the White House has argued that it is necessary to ensure the safety of Americans and American interests.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • Rahmael Sal Holt, the suspect in the shooting death of New Kensington, Pennsylvania, Officer Brian Shaw, is in custody after a days-long manhunt. >> Watch the news report here Police had been searching for Holt since Friday night’s shooting. Holt’s family made a public plea Monday for him to turn himself in. >> Visit WPXI.com for complete coverage Shaw, 25, was killed after he pulled over a Jeep on Friday in a traffic stop on Leishman Avenue. According to court documents, the Jeep never stopped and Holt, who allegedly killed Shaw, fled and Shaw pursued him on foot.  >> Suspect named in Pennsylvania police officer's shooting death Tavon Harper, who police say was driving the Jeep, took off, police said. Holt then fired multiple shots, killing Shaw, according to court documents. Shaw was transported to Allegheny Valley Hospital, where he later died.  >> Read more trending news WPXI confirmed with multiple sources that Shaw was ambushed that night and at least one of the bullets went through a soft spot in his body armor. Read more here.
  • Jacksonville, Florida, officers say a man was high on 'loveboat' when he shot and killed a driver on I-95. >> Watch the news report here Police said 32-year-old Tyrell Brown was sleeping in the passenger seat of 25-year-old Steven Shawn Grady's car as they drove through Jacksonville on Sunday. The group was traveling from Orlando to North Carolina. At one point, Brown woke up and shot Grady in the face, a witness told police. The witness, who was in the backseat of the car, tried to gain control of the wheel. The car ran off the interstate and crashed near the Union Street exit around 3:15 a.m. >> Read more trending news Officials said Brown violently resisted officers when they got to the scene. There was no indication of a prior altercation between Brown and Grady, officers said. A Jacksonville Sheriff's Office spokesperson said Brown smoked a cigarette dipped in formaldehyde and marijuana before the shooting. He was taken to UF Health Jacksonville for his safety, officers said. Brown is facing a murder charge. His next court date is Dec. 12.
  • A dentist in Washington state didn't show up for an appointment Saturday, so just after 7 p.m., a family member called the King County sheriff. >> Watch the news report here What they found has devastated a family and touched people in Sammamish and Seattle, where he and his wife worked. Dr. Rick Nicolini, his wife and adult son were all found dead inside their home in Sammamish's tony Broadmoore neighborhood. It is a development where neighbors say they know each other by name. But few people knew the Nicolinis well. 'They kind of kept to themselves,' said neighbor Rick Willard. 'I saw the kid when he was going to school.' And Willard said he saw nothing that foreshadowed this.  'And you never heard, you never saw anything between, among them, that would make you say ...' he was asked.  He interrupted the question and said, 'Never heard them yelling or screaming. Nothing, yeah. Just heard them doing yard work.' >> Read more trending news He said the entire neighborhood was surprised to see King County sheriff's deputies surrounding their home Saturday night.  On Monday, investigators said all indications are that Richie Nicolini killed his parents, then took his own life.  Nicolini and his wife, Mary Ellen, worked at his dental office on Olive Way near downtown Seattle. KIRO-TV went to Sound Dentistry.  'Hi there,' said reporter Deborah Horne. 'We're from KIRO 7.' But the receptionist said everyone was grieving too much to talk. No patients were waiting; the Nicolinis didn't work Mondays.  Back at their home in Sammamish, a second car was parked in the driveway. The people in it said they had nothing to say. All of this is a sorrowful coda to three lives. 'Yeah, it's sad,' said Willard.  'Sad and, as you said, a surprise?' he was asked.  'Yeah,' he replied. 'I don't know what would drive somebody to do that.' That is what detectives are trying to determine, too: why Richie Nicolini shot his parents and himself in the head. The case remains an active investigation.
  • Police are investigating a Facebook Live video that shows at least two men with guns inside a mall in Memphis, Tennessee. >> Watch the news report here >> On Fox13Memphis.com: PHOTOS: Video shows men with guns in Oak Court Mall The 39-minute video was broadcast live Saturday at the Oak Court Mall in East Memphis. The video shows a man and several friends walking inside the mall. Several minutes into the video, he pulls out a gun. A few moments later, a second man pulls out another gun. >> Watch the video here (WARNING: Viewer discretion advised.) The video has been viewed more than 7,000 times. One of the suspects has been identified as 19-year-old Artavius Lynshun Lipsey, police said. He is wanted for questioning. >> Read more trending news  He has two active felony warrants for domestic violence and failure to appear in a felony case. WHBQ reached out to the Oak Court Mall. The mall said it will not be releasing a statement.
  • Charles Manson’s infamous “family” numbered around 100 people in 1969, when Manson orchestrated a series of murders in Los Angeles that, over two nights, left seven people dead.  Nearly five decades later, the names of only a few family members are remembered, mostly due to the grisly nature of the crimes for which they were convicted. >> Read more trending news Here’s where the most notorious Manson family members are now: Charles Manson Manson, 83, died Sunday night at a hospital in Bakersfield, California. He was taken there last week for treatment of an undisclosed illness from the California State Prison at Corcoran, where he was serving a life sentence. Manson, along with several of his followers, was convicted of multiple counts of murder for the Aug. 9, 1969, killings of actress Sharon Tate, celebrity hairstylist Jay Sebring, coffee heiress Abigail Folger, her partner Wojciech Frykowski and Steven Parent, as well as the Aug. 10, 1969, murders of Leno and Rosemary LaBianca.  Manson was also convicted of the unrelated murders of music teacher Gary Hinman and stuntman Donald “Shorty” Shea.  Though Manson was not present for the Tate-LaBianca homicides, he was convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to death. That sentence was commuted to life in prison in 1972, when the California Supreme Court ruled the death penalty was unconstitutional.  According to the Los Angeles Times, Manson’s stay in prison was not a peaceful one. He racked up hundreds of infractions and over the years was denied parole 12 times.  His next parole hearing was scheduled for 2027, the Times said.  Susan Atkins Susan Atkins, who was 21 at the time of the crimes, died of brain cancer at the Central California Women’s Facility at Chowchilla in September 2009, just a week shy of 40 years after her conviction. The longest-serving female inmate in California, she was denied compassionate release by the state parole board. Described by a former prosecutor as the “scariest of the Manson girls,” Atkins played a large role in the murders, particularly that of Sharon Tate, who was nearly nine months pregnant when she was killed. The Times reported that Atkins confessed to stabbing Tate to death as the young actress pleaded for her life and that of her unborn son. “Woman, I have no mercy for you,” Atkins testified she told Tate.  Atkins also participated in the LaBianca murders the following night.  The Manson family became suspects in the murders, in part, due to Atkins’ confession to cellmates while she was jailed on unrelated charges.  Atkins, who embraced Christianity while incarcerated, married twice while behind bars, the Times said. Despite prison staff advocating for her release as far back as 2005, Atkins was denied parole 13 times before she died.  Charles “Tex” Watson Tex Watson, 71, is imprisoned at Mule Creek Prison, where he is an ordained minister, the Times reported. A model prisoner, he works as a janitor at the facility.  Watson, who described his position in the family as Manson’s “right-hand man,” was the Manson-appointed leader at both the Tate and LaBianca murder scenes. According to testimony in the murder trial, Watson shot Parent, Sebring and Frykowski, who was also pistol-whipped. He also inflicted some of the stab wounds on the victims in the Tate murders. Manson also put Watson in charge the next night at the LaBianca house, where he killed Leno LaBianca and participated in the slaying of Rosemary LaBianca. Watson, who was married and divorced in prison, and fathered four children, has his own ministry, Abounding Love. His website, run by an administrator outside of the prison, states that he “testifies that anyone can be forgiven and transformed by Christ, even a former member of the Manson family.” Watson has been denied parole 17 times, most recently in October.  Leslie Van Houten Leslie Van Houten, 68, remains jailed at the California Institution for Women at Corona, where she has spent her entire sentence as a model prisoner, the Times said. She was convicted of murder and conspiracy in 1978, following her third trial on the charges. A former homecoming princess and the youngest of Manson’s followers, Van Houten held Rosemary LaBianca down as Tex Watson and Patricia Krenwinkel stabbed her to death. Testimony at trial indicated that Van Houten also stabbed the victim, but did so after she was already dead.  Van Houten once told a parole board she was “deeply ashamed” of her role in the slayings, the Times reported.  “I take very seriously not just the murders, but what made me make myself available to someone like Manson,” she said.  The state parole board recommended Van Houten for parole in April after 19 previous tries, but California Gov. Jerry Brown reversed the decision.  The parole board again recommended her for parole in September, and Van Houten is awaiting Brown’s response, the Times said. Patricia Krenwinkel Patricia Krenwinkel, who became the longest-serving female inmate in California upon Susan Atkins’ death, remains at the California Institution for Women at Corona, where she works in the prison’s rehabilitative programs, the Times said. She has condemned Manson in the years since the murders. “What a coward that I found myself to be when I look at the situation,” Krenwinkel told the New York Times in 2014. “The thing I try to remember sometimes is that what I am today is not what I was at 19.” Krenwinkel participated in the murders at both the Tate and LaBianca murder scenes. Testimony at trial showed that she chased an injured and screaming Abigail Folger from the house onto the expansive lawn, where she continued to stab her 28 times, CNN reported.  The following night, Krenwinkel stabbed Rosemary LaBianca to death, testimony showed. She later scrawled “Death to Pigs” on the wall in Leno LaBianca’s blood. Krenwinkel has been denied parole 14 times, most recently in June.  Linda Kasabian Linda Kasabian, who drove the killers to both the Tate and LaBianca scenes because she was the only family member with a valid driver’s license, was offered immunity from prosecution in exchange for her testimony at trial.  Kasabian, who Watson ordered to remain outside during the Tate murders, later recalled seeing some of the victims run screaming from the house, followed by their killers. She also remained outside at the LaBianca house.  The Times reported that, as of 1994, Kasabian was a mother of four. She was believed to be living on the East Coast.  Robert “Bobby” Beausoleil and Bruce Davis Bobby Beausoleil, 70, who was convicted of murdering Gary Hinman on Manson’s orders, is housed at California Medical Facility in Vacaville, according to CNN. In jail awaiting trial for Hinman’s slaying in August 1969, he was not involved in the Tate-LaBianca murders.  Bruce Davis, 75, is imprisoned at the California Men’s Colony at San Luis Obispo, where he is serving a life sentence in the murders of Hinman and Shorty Shea. Davis, who the Times reported has been denied parole 30 times, became a born-again Christian in prison and earned a doctoral degree in religious philosophy.  Steve “Clem” Grogan Clem Grogan, who rode along with Manson and the other killers the night of the LaBianca murders, did not participate in the killings. He did help Manson, Watson and Davis kill Shorty Shea, however.  Grogan, who was convicted and sentenced to life in prison, was released on parole in 1985 after he helped authorities recover Shea’s remains by drawing a map to where the stuntman’s body was buried.  Lynette “Squeaky” Fromme Squeaky Fromme, who was one of Manson’s most devoted followers, did not participate in the murders, but was present outside the courthouse every day during the murder trial of Manson and the other defendants.  Fromme achieved her own notoriety in 1975 when she attempted to assassinate then-President Gerald Ford during a visit to Sacramento. Her gun did not fire and Secret Service agents wrestled her to the ground.  The Times reported that Fromme, who was sentenced to life in prison, escaped from a West Virginia federal prison in 1987, but was recaptured two days later. She continued to write to Manson while in prison.  Fromme, now 68, was paroled in August 2009 after serving 34 years in prison, the newspaper said.