ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

clear-day
60°
Partly Cloudy
H 76° L 62°
  • clear-day
    60°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 76° L 62°
  • cloudy-day
    68°
    Evening
    Partly Cloudy. H 76° L 62°
  • cloudy-day
    64°
    Morning
    Mostly Cloudy. H 77° L 64°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National Govt & Politics
Official says Puerto Rico needs 'unprecedented' federal help
Close

Official says Puerto Rico needs 'unprecedented' federal help

Official says Puerto Rico needs 'unprecedented' federal help
Photo Credit: AP Photo/Alex Brandon
Natalie Jaresko, executive director, with the financial oversight and management board for Puerto Rico, speaks during a House Committee on Natural Resources hearing to examine challenges in Puerto Rico's recovery and the role of the financial oversight and management board, on Capitol Hill, Tuesday, Nov. 7, 2017 in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

Official says Puerto Rico needs 'unprecedented' federal help

WASHINGTON (AP) — Puerto Rico has suffered such extensive devastation from Hurricane Maria that its recovery will fail unless the island gets more help from the Trump administration and Congress, the head of a federal control board that oversees Puerto Rico's finances said Tuesday.

Natalie Jaresko, executive director of the Financial Oversight and Management Board for Puerto Rico, told Congress that the U.S. territory needs emergency and restoration funds "on an unprecedented scale" to restore housing, water and electric power.

While conditions have improved since the Sept. 20 storm, nearly 60 percent of the island is without electricity, thousands remain in shelters and tens of thousands of houses do not have roofs, Jaresko said. The installation of temporary tarps will not be completed for months, she added.

"Without unprecedented levels of help from the United States government, the recovery we were planning for will fail," Jaresko said. The oversight board projects it will need up to $21 billion over the next two years to "ensure provision of the basic functions of government," including police, firefighters, teachers and other public employees, Jaresko said.

Puerto Rican authorities have estimated the island suffered $45 billion to $95 billion in damage in the September storm, which virtually destroyed the island's power grid and other infrastructure. So far, Congress has approved nearly $5 billion in aid.

Rep. Rob Bishop, R-Utah, chairman of the House Natural Resources Committee, said he was disappointed that the head of Puerto Rico's power authority did not testify as scheduled Tuesday. Ricardo Ramos, executive director of the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority, had been expected to answer questions about a canceled a $300 million contract to a tiny Montana company from Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke's hometown.

Whitefish Energy Holdings had just two employees when the hurricane struck, but nonetheless was selected to help rebuild the island's electrical system. Ramos moved to cancel the contract Oct. 29 amid bipartisan criticism from members of Congress and a request by Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rossello to void the deal.

The utility's chairman, Ernesto Sgroi, said in a letter to the committee that Ramos was needed in Puerto Rico. "Having him off the island for the three days required to come to Washington, D.C., would undoubtedly disrupt our restoration efforts," Sgroi said.

Bishop said it was unfortunate that Ramos "bailed" on the hearing, but promised that lawmakers will pursue questions about the Whitefish contract. The deal includes several "weird" elements, such as high hourly payments for truck drivers and other workers and a clause that prohibits review of labor rates, Bishop said.

Whitefish remains in Puerto Rico and expects to continue through November. It has 446 people working on the island as of Tuesday, the company said, mostly through subcontracts.

San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz — an outspoken critic of the Whitefish contract and the Trump administration's response to the storm — also declined to testify.

Bishop, who visited the island last month, said restoring the power grid is "paramount" to solve immediate emergency needs in Puerto Rico.

Retired Air Force Col. Noel Zamot, named to oversee power restoration, said he had no estimate for when work would be completed, although other officials have said power will not be fully restored until next year.

The power authority declared bankruptcy before the storm, and Bishop said a long history of severe mismanagement, inadequate maintenance and "political cronyism" have exacerbated the island's problems.

Tuesday's hearing was not intended to "ascribe blame or browbeat or play politics," Bishop said. "The goal isn't to shame for shame's sake. The goal is to fix problems and help people."

Rep. Raul Labrador, R-Idaho, defended the Trump administration's response and said the severity of the storm has made recovery difficult.

More than 100,000 Puerto Ricans have left the island since the storm hit, with most settling in states such as Florida, New York, Pennsylvania and Ohio.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • A woman accused Sen. Al Franken, D-Minnesota, of groping her during a photo-op in Minnesota in 2010, two years after the former comedian and radio show host was voted into the U.S. Senate, CNN reported on Monday. >> Read more trending news Lindsay Menz, now 33, told CNN that she was posing for a photo with Franken at the 2010 Minnesota State Fair when the senator “pulled me in really close, like awkward close, and as my husband took the picture, (Franken) put his hand full-fledged on my rear.” She said the “uncomfortable” incident left her feeling “gross.” 'It wasn't around my waist. It wasn't around my hip or side. It was definitely on my butt,' she told CNN. 'I was like, ‘Oh my God, what's happening?’' In a statement to CNN, Franken said that he felt “badly that Ms. Menz came away from our interaction feeling disrespected,” but he said he didn’t remember taking the photo with her. Menz came forward in the wake of allegations against Franken made by Los Angeles news anchor Leeann Tweeden. In a blog post for KABC, Tweeden wrote that Franken, who was a radio host for Air America at the time, forced himself on her as they were practicing a skit he wrote for the tour. Franken has since apologized for the incident. >> Related: Sen. Al Franken accused of kissing, groping news anchor without consent “I felt disgusted and violated,” Tweeden wrote. “No one saw what happened backstage. I didn’t tell the sergeant major of the Army, who was the sponsor of the tour. I didn’t tell our USO rep what happened.” She said she focused on entertaining the troops and didn’t speak up because she “didn’t want to cause trouble.” “We were in the middle of a war zone, it was the first show of our holiday tour, I was a professional and I could take care of myself,” she wrote. “I told a few of the others on the tour what Franken had done, and they knew how I felt about it.” >> Related: 'SNL' slams former cast member Al Franken on 'Weekend Update' Franken called for an investigation into the 2006 incident after apologizing to Tweeden in a statement last week. 'The truth is, what people think of me in light of this is far less important than what people think of women who continue to come forward to tell their stories,' Franken said. 'They deserve to be heard, and believed. And they deserve to know that I am their ally and supporter. I have let them down and am committed to making it up to them.”
  • A DNA expert is testifying Monday in the murder trial of a man accused of raping and killing a 27-year-old woman at her downtown Orlando apartment. Police said Stephen Duxbury strangled Sasha Samsudean in October 2015 at the Uptown Place apartments after she returned from a night out. Duxbury worked as a security guard at the apartment building at the time. Read: Investigators testify in downtown Orlando security guard's murder trial On Friday, jurors were shown physical evidence in the case, including a pair of Skechers sneakers prosecutors said Duxbury was wearing when he killed Samsudean. Police said Duxbury tried to pass off a different pair of shoes as the ones he had worn that night, but they said the sneakers match shoe prints found in her apartment. Prosecutors on Friday had a cellphone expert testify that Duxbury googled how to open Samsudean's unique front door lock before she died. The expert said Duxbury tried erasing his phone afterward. Read: Testimony continues in downtown Orlando security guard's murder trial Photos: Sasha Samsudean Duxbury told police he never went into Samsudean's apartment. Investigators said DNA evidence was discovered on Samsudean's body and her bedsheets, and Duxury's fingerprints were found on her toilet and her nightstand. Investigators said surveillance footage shows Duxbury walking with an intoxicated Samsudean. Read: Video shows murder suspect, victim at downtown Orlando apartment His attorneys claim that investigators botched the case and that the true killer remains at large. Duxbury faces life in prison if convicted in Samsudean’s death. Click here to watch the trial live. Read: New report outlines how suspect broke into woman's downtown apartment
  • Police are investigating a fatal shooting that happened at Barcelona Wine Bar. According to Atlanta police, officers responded to the restaurant in the 1000 block of Howell Mill Road just before 2 a.m. Sunday on a report that a person had been shot. Police said they found 29-year-old Chelsea Beller, of Atlanta. Police told WSBTV, Beller had been shot once in the shoulder during an apparent robbery. >> Read more trending news As the restaurant was closing, three men entered the location and tied up employees with electrical tape, according to police. They said the victim was forced upstairs to open the safe and then shot. She was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital, where she later died. 'She was just a positive person, fun loving. She didn't have an enemy to speak of,' said her cousin, Brandi Borgwat. 'Everybody that knew her, loved her.' Friends left flowers and candles outside the restaurant Sunday afternoon. While the investigation continues, Beller's family hopes that her killers are not on the streets for much longer. 'She deserves justice for this,' said Borgwat.
  • Dashcam footage from two different vehicles captured a plane crash Sunday on a busy Clearwater road. The Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office shared the video on YouTube Sunday, within hours of the crash. Two deputies were driving on North Keene Road as the plane tried to make an emergency landing.  The plane’s wing clipped a wing, sending the plane crashing into a wooded area. A resident in the area quickly recorded video of the response. According to reports, the pilot and passenger were able to escape the wreckage uninjured. The Federal Aviation Administration and National Transportation Safety Board are both investigating the incident.
  • Look up in the sky, it’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s a phallus and the U.S. Navy says it’s responsible for the obscene sky drawing. Maverick and Ice have nothing on this pilot. Navy officials were forced to apologize after residents of Okanogan County, Washington noticed a sky drawing many said looked like male genitalia on Thursday. In a statement to KREM-TV, officials at Naval Air Station Whidbey Island said, 'The Navy holds its aircrew to the highest standards and we find this absolutely unacceptable, of zero training value and we are holding the crew accountable.' So just to be clear, the Navy says, there is ‘zero training value’ in drawing a giant penis in the sky.