ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

clear-day
66°
Partly Cloudy
H 72° L 56°
  • clear-day
    66°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 72° L 56°
  • cloudy-day
    65°
    Evening
    Partly Cloudy. H 72° L 56°
  • cloudy-day
    56°
    Morning
    Mostly Cloudy. H 75° L 55°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National Govt & Politics
Key Republicans oppose effort to reduce corporate tax cut
Close

Key Republicans oppose effort to reduce corporate tax cut

Key Republicans oppose effort to reduce corporate tax cut
Photo Credit: AP Photo/Alex Brandon
President Donald Trump accompanied by Vice President Mike Pence, listens as House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi of Calif., speaks before a meeting with congressional leaders including House Speaker Paul Ryan of Wis., Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Ky., and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer of N.Y., in the Oval Office of the White House, Thursday, Dec. 7, 2017, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

Key Republicans oppose effort to reduce corporate tax cut

Key Republican lawmakers oppose efforts to scale back a proposed cut in the corporate income tax rate to pay for other tax breaks, complicating efforts to appease Republicans from high-tax states.

Both the House and Senate tax packages would reduce the corporate income tax rate from 35 percent to 20 percent. However, negotiators have been discussing whether to set the corporate rate at 22 percent to help pay for an expanded deduction for state and local income taxes and other provisions.

"I think a 20 percent rate is a better rate," Sen. Pat Toomey, R-Pa., said Thursday. "We're far better off for a lot of reasons if we can hold it to 20, but we do have some challenges that we've got to work through, so we'll work through them."

A prominent House member agreed.

"I continue to argue the 20 percent rate not only makes us competitive, it ensures that we are bringing jobs back from overseas," said Rep. Kevin Brady, R-Texas, chairman of the tax-writing House Ways and Means Committee.

Toomey and Brady are both on the conference committee that is working to reconcile the House and Senate bills. So is Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C.

Scott said a 22 percent rate "changes the distributional burden throughout the tax code, so while it is something that lots of folks are talking about, I don't know that it is as simple as it seems."

"I'm likely to advocate to keep it where it is," Scott added.

President Donald Trump opened the door to scaling back the corporate tax cut over the weekend, telling reporters, "It could be 22 when it comes out, but it could also be 20. We'll see what ultimately comes out."

Brady said, "My view is the president was giving us flexibility in that area if it's needed."

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said on Thursday the president wants to lower the corporate income tax rate as much as possible.

"Fifteen is better than 20. Twenty is better than 22, and 22 is better than what we have," she said.

Both the House and Senate tax packages would provide steep tax cuts to businesses and more modest tax breaks for families and individuals.

Lawmakers are struggling to find additional revenue to help pay to sweeten some of the tax breaks for both individuals and businesses. They are working under the constraints of Senate budget rules, which limit the overall size of the tax package to $1.5 trillion over the next decade.

Both the House and Senate tax bills initially repealed the entire deduction for state and local taxes, a tax break enjoyed by more than 43 million taxpayers last year. Both bills have since been amended to allow homeowners to deduct up to $10,000 in property taxes.

The provision was a compromise among Republicans from high-tax states such as New York and New Jersey. California Republicans are pushing for an amendment to let taxpayers deduct local income taxes, too, and they appear to have an ally in Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky.

McConnell called the proposal a "reasonable idea." It is unclear how much it would cost to expand the tax break.

Lawmakers also are working to eliminate the alternative minimum tax for corporations, which was meant to ensure that businesses pay at least some tax. The House bill eliminates the tax, but it was added back to the Senate bill to raise an additional $40 billion over the next decade.

Brady said the tax "undermines many of the pro-growth aspects of the new tax code. It's not something the House wants to retain in there, but we're going to have those discussions with the Senate."

___

Follow Stephen Ohlemacher on Twitter at http://twitter.com/stephenatap

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • Police in Dunwoody, Georgia, are working to find a boy who stole a Salvation Army kettle. A young boy grabbed the kettle being watched by Todd Copper, who has been collecting money for the Salvation Army for 21 years despite having cerebral palsy and manning his post from a wheelchair. “I sit out here like nine hours, 10 hours a day,” he said. “I’m helping a lot of people who cannot do it on their own.” >> Read more trending news  Tom Copper, his father, said his son has never let his physical limitations hold him back. “Even though he’s in a wheelchair, he believes that he can do things that other people can't,” he said of his son. Todd Copper said he never had a problem at his post at Perimeter Mall until Monday afternoon. “An approximately 10 - 12 year old male approached him, snatched his collection bucket, and took off running,” Sgt. Robert Parsons with the Dunwoody Police Department told WSB.  Police hope surveillance video will help them catch the thief. “He was really distraught,” Tom Copper said. The father said his son continued to take donations after the theft. “He said, ‘No, I want to stay here.’ And even though he didn't have a bucket, people were putting money on his lap,' Tom Cooper said. Police said they are hopeful mall and MARTA surveillance cameras may help catch the suspect.
  • U.S. Rep. Blake Farenthold announced he won’t seek re-election, less than a week after a House committee opened an investigation into sexual harassment claims from a former aide. >> Read more trending news
  • Five years after tragedy struck Newtown, relatives of the victims of the Sandy Hook school shooting are fighting to prevent what happened there from ever happening again.  Thursday will mark five years since 20 first-graders and six adults were shot and killed inside Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newton. >> Read more trending news Nicole Hockley, whose son, 6-year-old Dylan, was killed, spoke to Boston 25 News reporter Robert Goulston about how she helped to release a video calling on people to do more to stop mass shootings. The Sandy Hook Promise video depicts a tragedy similar to the one at Sandy Hook, one day before it happens. “To have it played out as something before a shooting takes place -- it really hammers that message home,” Hockley said. 'The end of the PSA has a little bit of a gut punch but gun violence is not comfortable and as a country, I think we've become a little too comfortable with.” Sandy Hook Promise was co-founded by several families who lost loved ones in the shooting. The PSA was released this week as a way of trying to change behaviors that seem to play out over and over.  “The mass shootings. That tears the scab right off my heart and makes everything incredibly fresh and painful again especially when there’s children involved,” Hockley said. The anniversaries are also incredibly difficult. >> Related: Newtown marks fifth anniversary of deadly Sandy Hook shooting 'The pain, it never goes away. There is no closure on this. There is no moving on,' she said. But she says Dylan is still by her side, keeping focused preventing this violence.  'His legacy lives on through these programs and that's the only way I can think to pay tribute to my little boy,” she said. 'Knowing that we are having an impactm that fuels us. Because that's all we want to do and that helps save lives.' There is no permanent memorial in Newtown. A commission has been working for years to design and pick a location. Recently, a resident donated five acres not far from the school - but they are still working on a design.
  • A 93-year-old Eustis woman was in jail Wednesday night after being arrested for allegedly refusing to leave her home at National Church Residences’ Franklin House after being evicted, police said. >> Read more trending news Juanita Fitzgerald was jailed just days before her 94th birthday on Friday. According to a Eustis Police Department arrest report, Fitzgerald had been “made well aware the day prior of her being evicted (Tuesday).” She was being evicted after falling behind on her rent, police said. When officers arrived at the senior living facility in the 2400 block of Kurt Street, Fitzgerald was in the lobby. “After several times telling Juanita to get her belongings and leave, she refused officers’ commands and stated, ‘Unless you carry me out of here, I’m not going anywhere,’” the report said. Fitzgerald was warned that she would be arrested if she did not leave, but continued to refuse to move. “Juanita still did not listen and refused to leave, stating again to ‘carry me out of here,’” the report said. The 5-foot-tall, 100-pound woman purposefully slid onto the floor as officers tried to escort her from the building and allegedly resisted officers’ attempts to lift her up, investigators said. Fitzgerald was eventually escorted to an officer’s patrol vehicle and taken to the Lake County Jail. The officer noted that due to her age and possibility of injury, Fitzgerald was not handcuffed. The Eustice police report said that Franklin House staff offered to help her move, but she refused. She also refused assistance from the Department of Children and Families, The Homeless Coalition, Department of Elder Affairs and eight other agencies, officers said. Fitzgerald was being held at the Lake County Jail in lieu of a $500 bond on a charge of trespassing.
  • Police in Alpharetta, Georgia, have arrested a restaurant employee accused of using Snapchat to stalk two teenage girls. >> Read more trending news Jason Porras, 23, is charged with enticing a minor for indecent purposes. “Someone had been randomly reaching out to her on social media and over time had sent her inappropriate messages,” the father of one of the girls told WSBTV’s Mike Petchenik. The man is not being identified to protect the identity of his daughter. Police believe Porras, a prep cook at Marlow's Tavern, spotted the girls while they ate lunch at Marlow’s Tavern at Avalon last August, and then used Snapchat’s location application to find them and send them messages. “As they leave, the guy sends them a message, ‘How did you like your food?’” said Officer Jason Muenzer. Muenzer and the father said, over time, Porras continued speaking to the girls via Snapchat and tracking their locations. “Initially started making comments asking where she was, those types of things, which led to him actually soliciting my daughter and one of her friends for sex,” the father said. “More specifically, offering her things like an Apple watch or money if she would do things with him.” Police said Porras also sent the girls explicit pictures. The girls eventually told their parents who, in turn, brought Alpharetta police into it. They tell Petchenik they were able to identify Porras as the messenger. “This 23-year-old did admit he asked the girls for sex for money, and at that point, warrants were taken,” Muenzer said. A spokeswoman for Marlow’s Tavern sent Petchenik a statement about the incident. “The employee was terminated immediately upon our learning of his arrest and the charges against him,” said Melissa Libby. The father said what happened should be a warning to all parents. “If he’d be willing to do this to our daughter and her friend, we were quite confident there was a potential that he’d do this to other kids,” he told Petchenik. “We talk to our kids a lot about social media and the risks and consequences that they don’t think about.” Police echoed that sentiment. “The girls did exactly what we’d hope they would have done. They contacted the parents and the parents eventually contacted us,” said Muenzer. “With Snapchat, you can receive them and then they disappear so you’ve got to stay on top of what’s going on with social activity on the phones. It’s just not safe.”