Central Florida fire departments are offering essential safety tips for space heaters after one caused a fire in Parramore early Tuesday morning, killing one man.
Orlando Fire Assistance Chief Paul Plaugher said in his experience, he has seen many fires from people using kerosene heaters inside instead of outside. The heater tips over and spills fuel all over. He recommends using kerosene and gas heaters outside and electric ones inside.
Several COLD nights ahead in Central Florida. @OrlandoFireDept offering tips on space heaters after Parramore fire killed one man.— Gene Wexler (@GeneWexler) January 2, 2018
Use kerosene and gas heaters outside and space heaters inside. @news965wdbo pic.twitter.com/FbMoNxT59b
Essential Space Heater Tips:
- Do not use heaters meant for a whole room as a personal heater and vice versa
- Buy a space heater that turns off when it tips over or when objects are too close
- Plus electric heaters directly into the wall - do not use an extension cord
- Use gas/kerosene heaters outside
Both the Orlando and Seminole County Fire Departments offered up tips for other home heating methods.
- Keep a glass or metal screen in front of the fireplace to prevent embers or sparks jumping out
- Do not burn paper in your fireplace
- Put the fire out before going to sleep or leaving the home
- Place three feet from anything that can burn
- Do not burn paper in it
- Have chimney inspected and cleaned each year by a professional
Follow these tips to maintain a fire-safe home this winter. pic.twitter.com/qe9xpua6VS— SCFD PIO Media (@scfdpio) January 2, 2018
Do not use your home oven or stove for heat. This can pose a fire or carbon monoxide risk.
#ItsSoCold you might think it’s a good idea to use the oven for extra heat...but it’s not. Ovens and stoves are not designed to heat your home and can pose a fire or carbon monoxide risk. pic.twitter.com/rvkF1BZUwu— U.S. Fire (USFA) (@usfire) December 28, 2017