H 69° L 48°
  • clear-night
    Current Conditions
    Sunny. H 69° L 48°
  • clear-day
    Sunny. H 69° L 48°
  • clear-day
    Sunny. H 69° L 48°

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00


The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00


The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

FDLE investigates deadly deputy-involved shooting in Volusia County

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating the Volusia County Sheriff’s Office and the DeLand Police Department after law enforcement officers shot and killed a man in DeLand.

The shooting was reported around 5:06 p.m. Sunday at North Amelia Avenue and Old Daytona Road.

A woman called 911, saying a Mario Simoes, 45, was drinking and suicidal at a law firm at 919 Biscayne Boulevard. The caller said Simoes was distraught over the couple's marital issues.

As DeLand police arrived at the scene, the gunman was firing at the building and officers, investigators said.

Photos: Volusia County deputies investigate deputy-involved shooting

Deputies said Simoes got in a Mercedes and sped away. Volusia County Sheriff Mike Chitwood said the man was going 100 mph when he hit stop sticks at Amelia Avenue and Old Daytona Road, got two flat tires and crashed into innocent bystanders in a white pickup truck; those bystanders were not seriously hurt.

"They (were) rear-ended and knocked into the air," Chitwood said.

Chitwood said after Simoes crashed the Mercedes, he got out of the vehicle and appeared to have reloaded his gun. After the Simoes ignored officers' repeated requests to drop the weapon, they fired at him and killed him.

A prelimary investigation showed deputies and police told Simoes to drop the gun or show his hands more than 30 times in a span of about two minutes, investigators said.

“We have three independent witnesses who say it felt like two minutes. They just kept hearing deputies and DeLand police officers saying, ‘Drop the gun, drop the gun, drop the gun,’ before he was fatally shot,” Chitwood told reporters at a news conference.

Two deputies, Bryant Lickiss, 26, and Sgt. Mike Chilcot, 49, and a DeLand officer, Jason Floryance fired at the man, investigators said. The law enforcement officers have been placed on paid administrative leave pending the investigation, which is standard procedure.

Lickiss has been with the sheriff's office since 2014, Chilcot since 1993.

Floryance has been with the DeLand Police Department since 2005.

Acting DeLand police Chief Randel Henderson said the agency’s police officers receive training annually on how to handle situations involving people who are suicidal, but ultimately law enforcement officials have to make quick decisions.

“We deal with the complexities of human behavior,” he said. “We never know at any given time what someone’s thinking, what’s going to punch their buttons and what’s going to make them react. (Officers and deputies) very quickly have to look at a scenario that unfolds around them and act accordingly."

Chitwood said they found at least one weapon inside the Mercedes. He also said there was body camera video of the shooting that investigators are reviewing.

"None of us are trained to come to work and kill anybody. We're trained to come to work to help people," Chitwood said.

This is the second deputy-involved shooting in less than a week in Volusia County.

FDLE is investigating 9 officer-involved shootings this year.

Watch the news conference regarding the shooting below: 






Read More

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • The Florida Department of Health restricted the license of a 31-year-old massage therapist who was charged with battery after he allegedly touched a patient in a sexual manner.   Glenn Redman went to a woman's house last month to give her a professional massage, records said.   The victim said Redman sexually touched her while she was lying on the table and she became 'terrified and froze,' according to a license restriction order.   The victim told Redman to stop touching her in a sexual manner, but he continued and she again told him to stop, the order said.   Redman told the woman 'he may have gone too far,' records said.   The woman reported the incident to Sanford police.   Investigators said Redman contacted the victim through Facebook after they learned of the allegations.   'Hey. I'm really sorry about what happened last night. That was really f----- up, and I shouldn't have done that,' he said, according to records.   No one answered Wednesday evening when Channel 9's Samantha Manning visited the suspect's home.   Redman has had a massage therapy license in the state since 2011. He isn't affiliated with a massage therapy salon, records said.   He has pleaded not guilty to the battery charge.
  • Officials at Travis Air Force Base in California say a car gained “unauthorized access” to the base’s main gate and later crashed. >> Read more trending news 
  • Attorneys with the Orlando-based law firm Morgan & Morgan on Tuesday filed the first lawsuit against social media giant Facebook and data company Cambridge Analytica after the personal information of 50 million Facebook users was released without their knowledge.   Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg discussed the revelations Wednesday afternoon, admitting that his company made mistakes after the massive data breach.   Morgan & Morgan attorney John Yanchunis filed the lawsuit on behalf of a Maryland woman who is one of at least 50 million Facebook users whose information was breached by Cambridge Analytica, the same company accused of using Facebook data to target American voters ahead of the November 2016 presidential election.   'We filed a case yesterday on her behalf and on behalf of those 50 million individuals,' Yanchunis said. 'In fact, the benefit of the lawsuit will extend to all Facebook users.'   Zuckerberg told CNN Wednesday evening that he's 'really sorry.'   Earlier in the day, he said Facebook immediately banned Cambridge Analytica from using any of the company's services.   Cambridge Analytica denied that the data was used by Donald Trump's campaign and said that it deleted the data when it found out it was improperly obtained.   'Information that was scraped from at least (an) acknowledged 50 million users -- potentially more -- remains in the possession of this company,' Yanchunis said. 'And it hasn't been destroyed.'   He said Facebook knew about the 2014 breach, did nothing about it and didn't notify affected users.   'Facebook did not adhere to its own privacy policy,' Yanchunis said.   He said cyber-thieves could use users' personal information to steal their money.   The lawsuit could take as long as three years to play out in court, he said
  • A Georgia woman was found covered in cockroaches and maggots, bedridden on a sheet smeared in feces, a police report says.  Her caretakers and family members, 54-year-old Terry Ward Sorrells and 18-year-old Christian Alexander Sorrells, have both been charged with neglect of a disabled adult or elder person.  >> On AJC.com: Cops: Home invaders tie up woman and son, steal jewelry Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services responded to the Sugar Hill home where the woman lived with Terry Sorrells and Christian Sorrells on March 15 after receiving a call for medical assistance. The woman was unresponsive but still alive, the report says. The AJC is not identifying the woman because she is an alleged victim of neglect. >> MORE NEWS: 55 hours of terror, and a final blast in Austin serial bombings When the fire crew arrived, they said they saw that maggots and roaches were eating the woman’s flesh and her legs were “completely black and showing signs of decomposition.” They had transported her a month earlier with a “mega mover” — a tarp-like object used by emergency medical technicians to move obese patients — and she was sitting on the same mega mover, now “completely brown and black” and covered in feces. The fire crew called police because “they did not believe she would live much longer and felt a moral obligation to report this,” the report says. The living conditions inside the home on Pine Tree Circle were “deplorable,” the responding officer said in his report. The officer was “overwhelmed with the smell of human feces and garbage” when he walked into the house, and roaches were crawling on the walls and ceiling of “every single room,” the report says. Garbage lined the floor from the entryway to the kitchen, and covered the floor of the bathroom. In Terry Sorrells’ bedroom, there was a two-foot-high pile of empty Monster energy drink cans, with garbage piled in a closet and covering a dresser, the report says.  >> Read more trending news  Terry Sorrells had gone with the woman in an ambulance before the officer arrived, but Christian Sorrells remained at the house. He told the officer that the woman had been bedridden for one or two years and had been progressively getting worse; she had been admitted into a long-term care facility, but returned home after Medicaid would not cover the cost, the report says. Christian Sorrells also told the officer that no one in the house worked.  Christian Sorrells was transported to Gwinnett County police headquarters and Terry Sorrells was arrested later that day. Both were booked into the Gwinnett County Detention Center after 10 p.m. March 15. They remain in jail, each held on a $22,200 bond. 
  • As the investigation into the acts of serial bombing suspect Mark Conditt continues, many are taking the opportunity to reflect on the lives of those lost in the attacks across Austin and central Texas in March. >> READ MORE: Austin bombings: 25-minute recording left behind by suspected bomber | Who is Mark Anthony Conditt, the suspected Austin bomber? | Trump says 'it's not easy to find' culprit in first public comment on Austin bombings | 'Hold your leaders accountable': Chance the Rapper tweets about Austin bombings | Photos: Austin police investigate explosions | For investigators, a race to decode hidden message in Austin bombings | Map shows location of 4 Austin bombs | Austin explosions: 2 men hurt in fourth blast this month | Officials increase reward to $115,000 for information on Austin bombings | Man held in SXSW threat ruled out as bomb suspect, police say | Austin package explosions: 3 blasts appear connected, claim 2 lives, police say | The Roots' SXSW show canceled after bomb threat; man arrested | Austin package bombings: Friends remember victims Draylen Mason, Anthony House | MORE Anthony Stephan House, the 39-year-old man who was killed in the first bombing on March 2, left behind a wife and daughter. His family started a GoFundMe page to help his surviving family members with bills related to House’s death and repairs to their home after the explosion. Any extra money will go to a fund for House’s daughter’s future education. The fundraiser has raised more than $36,000 as of Wednesday. There’s also a second fund, started by House’s mother, which aims to raise money specifically for House’s 8-year-old daughter “to help secure her future.” That fundraiser has raised more than $5,200 as of Wednesday. >> On Statesman.com: Complete coverage of the Austin bombings Draylen Mason, 17, an Austin musician and aspiring neurosurgeon, was killed by a second bombing attack on March 12. His family has set up a YouCaring page to help with memorial costs, as well as to help with repairs to the family home before Mason’s mother and grandmother can return to the house. The family has raised more than $106,000 as of Wednesday. >> On Statesman.com: Mason family on bombing suspect: ‘We can now start to move forward’ Four others were wounded in the attacks. Mason’s mother, Shamika Wilson, was injured in the explosion that killed her son, and Esperanza Herrera, 75, was injured in a separate package explosion later that same day. Two unidentified men were injured when a bomb, which police said was likely triggered by a trip wire, exploded on Dawn Song Drive in Southwest Austin on March 18. >> Read more trending news