ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

heavy-rain-night
80°
Partly Cloudy
H 86° L 74°
  • heavy-rain-night
    80°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 86° L 74°
  • cloudy-day
    75°
    Morning
    Partly Cloudy. H 86° L 74°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    84°
    Afternoon
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 87° L 74°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

News
No electronics on some US-bound jets from Mideast, Africa
Close

No electronics on some US-bound jets from Mideast, Africa

No electronics on some US-bound jets from Mideast, Africa

No electronics on some US-bound jets from Mideast, Africa

The U.S. government is ordering passengers on nonstop, U.S.-bound flights from a handful of mostly Middle Eastern and North African countries to pack electronic devices other than cellphones in their checked baggage.

Senior Trump administration officials said that starting Tuesday morning airlines flying directly to the United States from 10 airports in eight countries starting passengers that only cellphones and smartphones will be allowed in the passenger cabin of U.S.-bound flights. Other electronics, including laptops and tablets, will be indefinitely banned from the passenger cabin.

The officials said the airlines will have 96 hours to implement the security order or face being barred from flying to the United States. The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the security ban despite President Donald Trump's repeated insistence that anonymous source should not be trusted.

The electronics ban affects flights from international airports in Amman, Jordan; Kuwait City, Kuwait; Cairo; Istanbul; Jeddah and Riyadh, Saudi Arabia; Casablanca, Morocco; Doha, Qatar; and Dubai and Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates. About 50 flights a day, all on foreign carriers, will be impacted. The officials said no U.S.-based airlines have non-stop flights from those cities to the United States.

The officials said the decision was prompted by "evaluated intelligence" about ongoing potential threats to airplanes bound for the United States. The officials would not discuss the timing of the intelligence or if any particular terror group is thought to be planning an attack.

The ban would affect laptops, iPads, cameras and most other electronics. Royal Jordanian Airlines tweeted about the ban Monday, telling passengers that medical devices would also be allowed onboard with passengers.

Details of the ban were first disclosed by Royal Jordanian and the official news agency of Saudi Arabia.

In its statement, Royal Jordanian said the electronics ban would affect its flights to New York, Chicago, Detroit and Montreal.

Across the Atlantic early Tuesday, problems and confusion ensued.

Egyptian officials at the Cairo International Airport said they had not received any instructions on banning passengers from bringing laptops, iPads, cameras and some other electronics on board direct flights to the United States. The officials said a New York-bound EgyptAir flight departed and that passengers were allowed to take their laptops and other electronics on board in their carry-on luggage.

A spokesman for Royal Jordanian says the airliner has not yet started to enforce the new U.S. regulation.Basel Kilani has told The Associated Press that the airline was still awaiting formal instructions from the relevant U.S. departments, which could possibly come later on Tuesday.

Brian Jenkins, an aviation-security expert at the Rand Corp., said earlier that the nature of the security measure suggested that it was driven by intelligence of a possible attack. There could be concern about inadequate passenger screening or even conspiracies involving insiders - airport or airline employees - in some countries, he said.

Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly phoned lawmakers over the weekend to brief them on aviation security issues that have prompted the impending electronics ban, according a congressional aide briefed on the discussion. The aide was not authorized to speak publicly about the issue and spoke on the condition of anonymity.

The administration officials who briefed reporters about the ban said foreign officials were told about the impending order starting Sunday.

A U.S. government official said such a ban has been considered for several weeks. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity to disclose the internal security discussions by the federal government.

The ban would begin just before Wednesday's meeting of the U.S.-led coalition against the Islamic State group in Washington. A number of top Arab officials were expected to attend the State Department gathering. It was unclear whether their travel plans were related to any increased worry about security threats.

Another aviation-security expert, Jeffrey Price, said there could be downsides to the policy.

"There would be a huge disadvantage to having everyone put their electronics in checked baggage," said Price, a professor at Metropolitan State University of Denver. He said thefts from baggage would skyrocket, as when Britain tried a similar ban in 2006, and some laptops have batteries that can catch fire - an event easier to detect in the cabin than the hold.

Most major airports in the United States have a computer tomography or CT scanner for checked baggage, which creates a detailed picture of a bag's contents. They can warn an operator of potentially dangerous material, and may provide better security than the X-ray machines used to screen passengers and their carry-on bags. All checked baggage must be screened for explosives.

___

Associated Press writers David Keonig in Dallas, and Matthew Lee, Joan Lowy and Ted Bridis in Washington contributed to this report.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • Police are investigating after a young child's body was found on a Texas beach. >> Read more trending news Officers responded to a call Friday evening from an individual who said they found a body near the shoreline of a Galveston beach, according to the report posted on the Galveston Police Department's Facebook page. Police determined that the body was that of a white boy, approximately 3-5 years old. The child has not been identified and no missing persons reports match the child's description, KHOU reported. Galveston police Capt. Joshua Schirard told KHOU that this is a very unusual case. Schirard said the U.S. Coast Guard and agencies in surrounding counties are assisting with the case.
  • A 26-year-old Bunnell man is dead after his motorcycle crashed on an Interstate 95 on-ramp, the Florida Highway Patrol said.  Read: Florida man arrested after bombs, ammo, school maps found in home Troopers said the man was driving on the entrance ramp to I-95 from U.S. 1 around 1:30 a.m. Saturday when he lost control of his motorcycle.  Read: Teacher embroiled in student sex scandal in Seminole County bonds out of jail His motorcycle flipped over and threw him off, troopers said.  The man died at the scene, troopers said.  The crash remains under investigation.  Troopers have not yet identified the man. 
  • More than 60,000 people have already registered for the  event, which is meant to help people with food following Hurricane Irma. Over 100,000 thousand are expected to show up throughout the week. Organizers say the event was prepared based off of similar event that were held in Volusia and Brevard Counties. The events caused huge lines that stretched out the door. The DCF Regional Director says the program is open for people not already on public assistance who suffered some sort of loss or damage because of the storm. They will leave with a debit card to buy groceries. Those who live in neighboring counties but could not make it to their county’s registration events will not be turned away. Roughly 15,000 Orange County residents have already been served at other events. People in Seminole County are encouraged to go to Orlando Live Events in Casselberry. People who decide to show up should expect to wait in line for hours, as well as expect traffic congestion. Attendees are advised to bring a valid Florida Driver License or Identification card. Attendees are also advised to show up on days corresponding to the first letter of your last name. The centers will be open between October 21st and October 25th. The information for the Orlando and Casselbery centers are as follows: Orange County: Camping World Stadium1 Citrus Bowl PlaceOrlando, FL 10/21 – A - F10/22 – G - J10/23 – K - O10/24 – P - Z10/25 – Make-up Day Seminole County: Orlando Live Events6405 S US Hwy 17 92Casselberry, FL 32730 10/21 – A - F10/22 – G - J10/23 – K - O10/24 – P - Z10/25 – Make-up Day More information can be found here: https://www.dcf.state.fl.us/programs/access/fff/siteLocations.shtml
  • A Florida man was arrested after homemade bombs, an AK-47 assault rifle, ammunition and school maps were discovered inside his bedroom.  Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri said in a news conference Thursday that deputies were set to search the home Randall Drake, 24, of Dunedin, Florida, shared with his parents for a child pornography investigation. >> Read more trending news During a search of Drake’s bedroom on Wednesday, authorities said detectives found explosives and numerous firearms in a locked closet, The Associated Press reported. The weapons included the following: An AK-47 rifle with a 60-round clip A .308-caliber rifle A .50-caliber pistol A 12-gauge shotgun Numerous other handguns About 15 knives A baseball bat with protruding nails in it  A crossbow Brass knuckles A container of gunpowder More than 2,300 rounds of ammunition Three incendiary devices A homemade silencer Tactical vests Detectives also said they found a map and aerial images of an elementary and middle school in Tampa, Florida, as well as the Hillsborough County Water Treatment Plant. According to deputies, journals and a handwritten letter that talked about revenge were also discovered. Gualtieri said his office is trying to figure out why Drake had the incendiary devices and what he was going to do with them. Drake has since posted $20,000 bond. He faces two charges of unlawfully making, possessing or attempting to make a destructive device.
  • A day after Senate approval of a budget outline for 2018 that authorizes expedited work on a tax reform plan- without the threat of a Senate filibuster – House GOP leaders set the table for a vote next week on the budget measure, hoping to give more momentum to the bid for the first major tax reforms since 1986. Friday afternoon, House GOP leaders signaled their plan to simply accept the budget plan passed 51-49 by the Senate, setting a Tuesday meeting of the House Rules Committee, which sets the ground rules for bills on the floor of the House. “We want Americans to wake up in the new year with a new tax code, one that is simple and fair,” said House Speaker Paul Ryan. “Now it is time to meet this moment and deliver real relief to hardworking people.” Approval of the Senate-passed plan would allow tax-writing committees in both the House and Senate to get to work on the actual details of tax reform; what’s been released so far is an outline, but not the fine print. “This is another important milestone for tax reform, and sets the stage for us to pass major tax cuts that will deliver more jobs and higher wages for hardworking Americans all over the country,” said White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders. As for Democrats, some feel like they are being set up by the GOP, predicting that Republicans will unveil their tax reform bill, and then demand a vote on it days later. “I am perfectly willing to negotiate,” said Sen. Clare McCaskill (D-MO). “I can’t do it in a vacuum.” “It doesn’t work that way,” McCaskill told reporters. “Why can’t we have a bill?” When you look back at the 1986 Tax Reform Act – that took months to make its way through the House and Senate, and then a conference committee for final negotiations. Need some weekend reading? Here is the link to the explanation of the 1986 Tax Reform Act – it’s only a little under 1,400 pages. It’s a gentle reminder that if you do ‘real’ tax reform – it is a very complicated endeavor.