ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
80°
Partly Cloudy
H 86° L 74°
  • cloudy-day
    80°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 86° L 74°
  • cloudy-day
    75°
    Morning
    Partly Cloudy. H 86° L 74°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    84°
    Afternoon
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 87° L 74°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Disasters
Mexico earthquake: 'Frida Sofia,' girl supposedly trapped in rubble, never existed, officials say
Close

Mexico earthquake: 'Frida Sofia,' girl supposedly trapped in rubble, never existed, officials say

More Than 200 Killed In Central Mexico Earthquake

Mexico earthquake: 'Frida Sofia,' girl supposedly trapped in rubble, never existed, officials say

As rescue workers tirelessly searched and the world waited breathlessly for them to find a 12-year-old girl believed to be trapped under the rubble of a caved-in school toppled by the devastating earthquake in Mexico City, it became apparent that the little girl never existed, Mexican officials said.

>> PHOTOS: Major earthquake strikes Mexico City

According to the New York Post, the girl, called “Frida Sofia,” was a case of a story that ran wild in the frantic aftermath of the disaster.

>> How you can help Mexico and people affected by the Mexico earthquake

“We are certain that it was not an actuality,” Adm. Angel Enrique Sarmiento, assistant secretary of the Mexican navy, told local paper El Universal. “We don’t have any knowledge, we never had any knowledge of the account.”

>> Frida, the hero rescue dog, saves 12 following Mexico earthquake

In the face of unimaginable destruction and hundreds killed, the story took on a life of its own as a symbol of much-needed help. A report first surfaced Wednesday that a little girl had signaled to rescuers from under the rubble of the Enrique Rebsámen school.

>> On Rare.us: A family is devastated after this baptism turned tragic during the Mexican earthquake

From that report came a series of details that included the girl’s name and age, and even reports of communication with the girl. Rescuers said they managed to slide a hose to her for her to drink, and other workers told MSNBC that they handed the little girl a phone and that she reported two other children were trapped with her under a granite table.

>> On Rare.us: Salma Hayek generously pledges $100,000 to Mexican earthquake victims

However, no parents came to claim the girl, which led some to believe she was misidentified. And, then Thursday, Sarmiento announced that after 11 children had been rescued, and 19 other children, plus six adults found dead, there were no other children beneath the collapsed school.

>> Read more trending news

“We have carried out a full count with the directors of the school, and we are sure that all the children are either safe at home, in the hospital or, unfortunately, died,” Sarmiento said.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • Police are investigating after a young child's body was found on a Texas beach. >> Read more trending news Officers responded to a call Friday evening from an individual who said they found a body near the shoreline of a Galveston beach, according to the report posted on the Galveston Police Department's Facebook page. Police determined that the body was that of a white boy, approximately 3-5 years old. The child has not been identified and no missing persons reports match the child's description, KHOU reported. Galveston police Capt. Joshua Schirard told KHOU that this is a very unusual case. Schirard said the U.S. Coast Guard and agencies in surrounding counties are assisting with the case.
  • A 26-year-old Bunnell man is dead after his motorcycle crashed on an Interstate 95 on-ramp, the Florida Highway Patrol said.  Read: Florida man arrested after bombs, ammo, school maps found in home Troopers said the man was driving on the entrance ramp to I-95 from U.S. 1 around 1:30 a.m. Saturday when he lost control of his motorcycle.  Read: Teacher embroiled in student sex scandal in Seminole County bonds out of jail His motorcycle flipped over and threw him off, troopers said.  The man died at the scene, troopers said.  The crash remains under investigation.  Troopers have not yet identified the man. 
  • More than 60,000 people have already registered for the  event, which is meant to help people with food following Hurricane Irma. Over 100,000 thousand are expected to show up throughout the week. Organizers say the event was prepared based off of similar event that were held in Volusia and Brevard Counties. The events caused huge lines that stretched out the door. The DCF Regional Director says the program is open for people not already on public assistance who suffered some sort of loss or damage because of the storm. They will leave with a debit card to buy groceries. Those who live in neighboring counties but could not make it to their county’s registration events will not be turned away. Roughly 15,000 Orange County residents have already been served at other events. People in Seminole County are encouraged to go to Orlando Live Events in Casselberry. People who decide to show up should expect to wait in line for hours, as well as expect traffic congestion. Attendees are advised to bring a valid Florida Driver License or Identification card. Attendees are also advised to show up on days corresponding to the first letter of your last name. The centers will be open between October 21st and October 25th. The information for the Orlando and Casselbery centers are as follows: Orange County: Camping World Stadium1 Citrus Bowl PlaceOrlando, FL 10/21 – A - F10/22 – G - J10/23 – K - O10/24 – P - Z10/25 – Make-up Day Seminole County: Orlando Live Events6405 S US Hwy 17 92Casselberry, FL 32730 10/21 – A - F10/22 – G - J10/23 – K - O10/24 – P - Z10/25 – Make-up Day More information can be found here: https://www.dcf.state.fl.us/programs/access/fff/siteLocations.shtml
  • A Florida man was arrested after homemade bombs, an AK-47 assault rifle, ammunition and school maps were discovered inside his bedroom.  Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri said in a news conference Thursday that deputies were set to search the home Randall Drake, 24, of Dunedin, Florida, shared with his parents for a child pornography investigation. >> Read more trending news During a search of Drake’s bedroom on Wednesday, authorities said detectives found explosives and numerous firearms in a locked closet, The Associated Press reported. The weapons included the following: An AK-47 rifle with a 60-round clip A .308-caliber rifle A .50-caliber pistol A 12-gauge shotgun Numerous other handguns About 15 knives A baseball bat with protruding nails in it  A crossbow Brass knuckles A container of gunpowder More than 2,300 rounds of ammunition Three incendiary devices A homemade silencer Tactical vests Detectives also said they found a map and aerial images of an elementary and middle school in Tampa, Florida, as well as the Hillsborough County Water Treatment Plant. According to deputies, journals and a handwritten letter that talked about revenge were also discovered. Gualtieri said his office is trying to figure out why Drake had the incendiary devices and what he was going to do with them. Drake has since posted $20,000 bond. He faces two charges of unlawfully making, possessing or attempting to make a destructive device.
  • A day after Senate approval of a budget outline for 2018 that authorizes expedited work on a tax reform plan- without the threat of a Senate filibuster – House GOP leaders set the table for a vote next week on the budget measure, hoping to give more momentum to the bid for the first major tax reforms since 1986. Friday afternoon, House GOP leaders signaled their plan to simply accept the budget plan passed 51-49 by the Senate, setting a Tuesday meeting of the House Rules Committee, which sets the ground rules for bills on the floor of the House. “We want Americans to wake up in the new year with a new tax code, one that is simple and fair,” said House Speaker Paul Ryan. “Now it is time to meet this moment and deliver real relief to hardworking people.” Approval of the Senate-passed plan would allow tax-writing committees in both the House and Senate to get to work on the actual details of tax reform; what’s been released so far is an outline, but not the fine print. “This is another important milestone for tax reform, and sets the stage for us to pass major tax cuts that will deliver more jobs and higher wages for hardworking Americans all over the country,” said White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders. As for Democrats, some feel like they are being set up by the GOP, predicting that Republicans will unveil their tax reform bill, and then demand a vote on it days later. “I am perfectly willing to negotiate,” said Sen. Clare McCaskill (D-MO). “I can’t do it in a vacuum.” “It doesn’t work that way,” McCaskill told reporters. “Why can’t we have a bill?” When you look back at the 1986 Tax Reform Act – that took months to make its way through the House and Senate, and then a conference committee for final negotiations. Need some weekend reading? Here is the link to the explanation of the 1986 Tax Reform Act – it’s only a little under 1,400 pages. It’s a gentle reminder that if you do ‘real’ tax reform – it is a very complicated endeavor.