H 86° L 65°
  • clear-night
    Current Conditions
    Sunny. H 86° L 65°
  • clear-day
    Sunny. H 86° L 65°
  • clear-day
    Mostly Sunny. H 86° L 65°

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00


The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00


The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Crime & Law
Kidnapped woman uses insulin pump light to escape car trunk

Kidnapped woman uses insulin pump light to escape car trunk

Photo Credit: AP Photo/David J. Phillip
In this June 7, 2016, photo, Stephanie Rodenberg-Lewis holds her Animas Corp. insulin pump at her home in Katy, Texas.

Kidnapped woman uses insulin pump light to escape car trunk

An Alabama woman’s insulin pump saved her life last week, but not in a way she ever imagined.

Brittany Diggs, 25, was lying in the trunk of her own Nissan Altima just before midnight on March 14, hours after being kidnapped outside her apartment in Birmingham’s Avondale neighborhood by a man wielding a gun. Diggs told “Today” that the gunman kept demanding her money. 

Diggs, a nursing student, told him she was a “broke college student” and didn’t have anything. 

“He was, like, since you don’t have any money, you’re going to help me get money,” Diggs told “Today.” “So he made me drive him to another side of town (and) he tried to rob two other couples.” 

Watch Diggs’ “Today” interview below.

When that didn’t work, the man, who took Diggs’ phone and wallet, forced her into the trunk of the car and drove to multiple ATMs to use her debit card to get cash from her bank account. Hours into her captivity, he pulled into the parking lot of Gas Land in Bessemer. 

Before getting out of the car, he made a threat that Diggs said he’d made multiple times through the night. 

“(He said), ‘If this don’t work, I’m going to kill you,” Diggs said. 

>> Read more trending stories

That’s when a panicked Diggs decided to make her move. She said she had seen a video on Facebook about latches inside the trunks of vehicles, a requirement by law since 2000. 

“I just got the bright idea to use my insulin pump light,” Diggs told “Today.” 

As the man was inside the store, unsuccessfully trying to get more cash from Diggs’ bank account, Diggs held onto the trunk latch and waited. 

“He gets in, he’s yelling, he’s pulling out pretty fast, so I’m, like, ‘Oh, shoot, let me hurry up and get out of here,’” she said. 

Footage from the convenience store’s exterior security cameras captured the moment that Diggs jumped from the moving car, landed hard on the pavement and stood, fleeing into the store. Her captor hit the brakes, but only for a moment, before fleeing in her car. 

Cameras in the store showed Diggs taking cover inside as the owner, Yosef Alsabah, locked the door and called police. At one point, the visibly shaken woman grabbed a shotgun Alsabah kept in the store, fearful the man would come back. 

The store owner took the gun from her and assured her the man was not coming back. 

Alsabah told AL.com the day after the incident that the man tried several times to get cash out of the ATM in his store, but was trying to get more cash than was in the account. He said the man got frustrated and left. 

He was watching the man drive away when he saw the trunk of the car pop open and Diggs roll out, Alsabah said

Her car was recovered in Birmingham, but the suspect remains at large. Birmingham police officials released an image from surveillance video that shows the man’s face.

Diggs told “Today” that she is moving from her apartment because the suspect took not only her wallet and phone, but also her keys. A friend established a GoFundMe page to help her with the expenses of moving. 

As of Monday morning, the page had raised over $16,000, more than double its $7,000 goal. 

“I try to put it in the back of my head, so I can just, you know, get through the day,” a tearful Diggs said. “But that was, like, the scariest thing I’ve ever had to deal with.”

Read More

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • After operating for more than a year with a temporary chief, NASA faces an unprecedented leadership bind as its acting Administrator announced this week that he would retire at the end of April, with no hint that the Senate will vote by then on President Donald Trump’s nominee to lead the space agency. “It has been a long process but we are optimistic that the vote will come soon,” said Sheryl Kaufman, the Communications Director for Rep. Jim Bridenstine (R-OK). “We hope that happens soon,” said Rep. Bruce Babin (R-TX), as House Republicans and Vice President Mike Pence pressed the Senate for action on Bridenstine. The problem for Bridenstine is that just one Republican has refused to support him for the job as NASA Administrator – that being Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) – and with only a bare majority, and the absence of Sen. John McCain (R-AZ), Bridenstine does not have the votes to win. As I reported Monday, Rubio is still holding up Bridenstine's confirmation for the NASA gig. Rubio tells E&E: 'We've had some concerns about his nomination, so that's why we've said in the past we weren't prepared to move forward on it yet.' https://t.co/iiJOx74sAT — Justin Wingerter (@JustinWingerter) March 16, 2018 Since President Trump took office in January of 2017, NASA has been led by Robert Lightfoot, a well-respected NASA veteran who has drawn bipartisan praise. But with Lightfoot announcing this week that he is retiring – effective April 30 – it’s possible that NASA could be forced to dig deeper down the depth chart for another temporary leader at the space agency. “Robert Lightfoot has served NASA exceptionally well for nearly 30 years,” said Rep. Lamar Smith (R-TX), the head of the House Science Committee. Capping nearly 30 years in government, we thank Robert Lightfoot for his service to @NASA & our Nation. @RepJBridenstine would continue @NASA’s important work & the Senate should swiftly confirm him as Administrator to carry on NASA’s proud tradition. — Vice President Mike Pence (@VP) March 13, 2018 Apart from a couple of major issues, Bridenstine in 2017 did not cast votes on regular legislation in the House – while waiting for his Senate confirmation. This year has been different – Bridenstine is voting on most legislation in the House, except for measures that deal with NASA. “He will represent his constituents as fully as possible while awaiting the confirmation vote by the full Senate,” said his spokeswoman. But without enough support, there’s no hint of a vote on Bridenstine in the Senate. “The facts of this nomination have not changed,” said Sen. Bill Nelson (D-FL) back in January – and two months later, that statement is still true.
  • Gov. Rick Scott signed into a law a massive new state budget Friday. Before he signed the nearly $89 billion budget,  the Governor vetoed $64 million that he said was for projects that weren't needed.  The chairman of Orange County Public Schools, Bill Sublette is one of many criticizing the bill, saying that it shortchanges the state's public schools.  'It's so frustrating that we take it on the chin from the Florida legislature and our teachers take it on the chin and it just doesn't make sense, Sublette told News 96.5 WDBO.  Florida lawmakers did boost overall school funding, but most of the money is tied to a school safety bill signed into law by Gov. Scott.  That bill includes money for mental health programs and hiring additional school resource officers.  Pasco County School Superintendent Kurt Browning is also critical of the bill, saying it was wrong to increase school safety at the expense of education. 
  • A recently installed pedestrian bridge connecting Florida International University with the City of Sweetwater collapsed Thursday, killing at least six people, the Miami-Dade Police Department said Friday morning. >> READ MORE: Miami bridge collapse: What is accelerated bridge construction? | Photos: FIU pedestrian bridge collapses in Miami | Boston firm partly behind Zakim Bridge designed collapsed Florida bridge | 7 things to know about the fiery I-85 bridge collapse | MORE
  •   Special counsel Robert Mueller has subpoenaed the Trump Organization for documents as part of his investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election and its possible ties to President Donald Trump and his associates, according to multiple reports. >> Read more trending news The subpoena is the first directly connected to one of Trump’s businesses, The New York Times reported Thursday. The newspaper was the first to report on the subpoena, citing two unidentified sources briefed on the situation. The breadth of the subpoena was not immediately clear, although some documents sought were related to Russia, the Times reported. According to the newspaper, the subpoena was served “in recent weeks.” >> More on Robert Mueller's investigation The Trump Organization has already provided investigators with a range of documents, most focused on the period between when Trump announced his candidacy for president, in June 2015, to his inauguration, in January 2017, CNN reported in January. Citing an unidentified source familiar with the situation, the news network reported that the recently issued subpoena was meant “to ‘clean up’ and to ensure that all related documents are handed over to the special counsel.” In a statement released to several news outlets Thursday, Alan Futerfas, an attorney representing the Trump Organization, said reports of the subpoena were “old news.” >> Related: Former Trump campaign aide Rick Gates to plead guilty in Mueller investigation “Since July 2017, we have advised the public that the Trump Organization is fully cooperative with all investigations, including the special counsel, and is responding to their requests,” Futerfas said. “This is old news and our assistance and cooperation with the various investigations remains the same today.” The decision to subpoena the Trump Organization, which is owned by the president and managed by his children, appeared to mirror the strategy employed by Mueller with the Trump campaign, The Wall Street Journal reported. The newspaper noted that the campaign “voluntarily gave documents to the special counsel for months before receiving a subpoena in October.” >> Related: Mueller indicts 13 Russians, 3 Russian entities in election meddling probe Mueller, who headed the FBI from 2001 to 2013, was appointed by the Justice Department in May 2017 to oversee the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election. His investigation has thus far led to several indictments and a handful of guilty pleas from people connected to Trump. Mueller indicted 13 Russians and three Russian entities last month on accusations that they interfered with American elections and political processes, starting in 2014. On Twitter, Trump claimed that information in the indictments proved his innocence on allegations of colluding with Russia to win the election. Five people have pleaded guilty to charges levied against them in Mueller's investigation. Most recently, former Trump campaign aide Rick Gates pleaded guilty to making false statements and conspiring against the United States.
  • NASA’s Kepler spacecraft is running out of fuel, giving the planet-hunting observatory a few months for one last maneuver. >> Read more trending news “Trailing Earth’s orbit at 94 million miles away, the Kepler space telescope has survived many potential knock-outs during its nine years in flight, from mechanical failures to being blasted by cosmic rays,” NASA announced in a news release Wednesday. “At this rate, the hardy spacecraft may reach its finish line in a manner we will consider a wonderful success.” >> On AJC.com: What is the NASA Parker Solar Probe and how can you send your name to the sun? Scientists plan to “squeeze every last drop of data from the spacecraft” in its remaining time, but note that without a gas gauge, they only have estimates about how low its fuel is running. Kepler is expected to run out of fuel and reach its death “within several months.” “It’s like trying to decide when to gas up your car. Do you stop now? Or try to make it to the next station? In our case, there is no next station,” Kepler mission system engineer Charlie Sobeck wrote in the news release.  >> Related: Breathtaking NASA time-lapse shows how much Earth has changed over 20 years The Kepler mission, NASA Discovery’s 10th mission, first launched in March 2009 with a goal to survey the Milky Way and hunt for Earth-size and smaller planets near the galaxy or “habitable” regions of planets’ parent stars. In 2014, the Kepler space telescope began a new extended mission called K2, which continues the hunt for planets outside our solar system along with its other cosmic tasks. During this extended mission, the spacecraft was required to shift its field of view to new regions of the sky every three months. This process is called a campaign. “Initially, the Kepler team estimated that the K2 mission could conduct 10 campaigns with the remaining fuel,” Sobeck wrote. “It turns out we were overly conservative. The mission has already completed 16 campaigns, and this month entered its 17th.” >> Related: Another 8-planet solar system? 7 things about Kepler’s ‘sizzling’ discovery According to Space.com, “Kepler spots alien worlds by noticing the tiny brightness dips they cause when they cross the face of their host star from the spacecraft's perspective.” Since 2009, Kepler has discovered thousands of exoplanets ranging between Earth-size and Neptune-size (four times the size of Earth).