ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

clear-night
67°
Sunny
H 83° L 61°
  • clear-night
    67°
    Current Conditions
    Sunny. H 83° L 61°
  • clear-day
    81°
    Afternoon
    Sunny. H 83° L 61°
  • clear-night
    73°
    Evening
    Clear. H 85° L 64°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Celebrity News
‘The Voice’ singer Melanie Martinez accused of rape, denies allegations
Close

‘The Voice’ singer Melanie Martinez accused of rape, denies allegations

‘The Voice’ singer Melanie Martinez accused of rape, denies allegations
Photo Credit: Mauricio Santana/Getty Images/Getty Images
Singer Melanie Martinez has been accused of rape by her former best friend, Timothy Heller.

‘The Voice’ singer Melanie Martinez accused of rape, denies allegations

Melanie Martinez may have impressed judges when she appeared on season three of “The Voice” in 2012, but what she’s making headlines for in 2017 is less than positive.

In a lengthy and graphic statement posted on Twitter, Timothy Heller accused Martinez, 22, of performing sexual acts on her despite her protests.

>> Read more trending news

Heller told her followers that her “best friend” Martinez had repeatedly asked her to have sex when the pair shared a bed during sleepovers. According to Heller, she rejected the offers over the course of several nights making different excuses, including that she had a boyfriend, until one evening when Martinez kept asking to touch her and, she said, went on to rape her.

Heller wrote, “The bottom line that I need to always remind myself is that: I said no. For TWO NIGHTS STRAIGHT.”

“If you begin to doubt the abuse taking place in this story, I beg you to imagine her role in this being a man,” Heller wrote. “Girls can rape girls. Best friends can rape best friends. Friendship does not equal consent. Silence doesn’t equal consent. I wish it wasn’t so hard for me to convince myself of these things.”

Following the accusation, Martinez took to Twitter to issue a response, claiming that any and all contact between the women had been consensual.

“I am horrified and saddened by the statements and story told by Timothy Heller,” the singer said. “What she and I shared was a close friendship. We tried to help each other. We both had pain in dealing with our individual demons. She never said no to what we chose to do together. And although we parted ways, I am sending her love and light always.”

Actress Abigail Breslin was one of many who responded online to the statement, slamming Martinez for her “unacceptable response.”

“Not saying no doesn’t mean yes. But for the record, she did and has stressed that numerous times,” Breslin tweeted. “Shame on you for this disgusting reply that contributes to the victim blaming culture we live in.”

Martinez shot to stardom in 2012 during the third season of “The Voice,” when she turned three judges’ chairs with her cover of Britney Spears’ “Toxic.” She became one of the top six contestants before her elimination in the live shows.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • Casselberry police say a woman is dead after a  man shot her multiple times.    Police responded to a report of a shooting around 10:59 am on Saturday at the Regency Oaks apartments on Monarch Circle.    Police say the victim and the man, 29 year old John Murray both lived together, but are not sure of what their relationship was like.    Murray has been taken into custody, but has not been formally arrested or criminally charged.    There is no reported history of any previous disturbances between the two.    What led up to the shooting is still under investigation.
  • Harbor House, Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer and Orlando Police Chief John Mina want all of Orlando to stand together to prevent domestic abuse.   On Saturday morning, the annual 'It Takes Courage' event went underway at the parking lot on the west side of the First Baptist Church campus. Among the key speakers included Harbor House CEO Michelle Sperzel, OPD Chief John Mina and Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings.    Volunteers joined with law enforcement officers to fan out across the Orlando area to distribute door hangers with information about a simple life saving message: That if abuse is happening now, call 911, but if its ongoing to reach out to the Harbor House hotline to get help and get to safety.   The goal is to reach over 10,000 homes in the Orlando area.
  • Florida Highway Patrol reports that a Brevard County Deputy was killed in a fatal car crash with a semi truck. The crash happened Saturday morning on I-95 southbound, just north of State Road 50.  FHP reports that the semi truck, which was partially loaded with car parts, was traveling southbound on I-95 in the center lane and the marked Brevard County Sheriff’s Patrol car was traveling in the left lane. The semi truck suffered a tire tread separation to the left front tire, and the driver immediately steered to the left into the path of the patrol car, causing the deputy’s vehicle to crash into the back of the semi. The truck driver was not injured, but the male deputy did not survive.  The deputy, 32 year old Kevin Stanton was an 11 year veteran and a field training officer. The northbound lanes remain open, but the southbound lanes are all blocked.
  • Having more fun in Orlando is going to cost you more money! A one-day adult ticket to a single Universal Orlando park has increased $5 from $110 to $115.A two-park ticket, which includes Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios, has also increased $5 from $165 to $170.  Prices for peak-season, one-day tickets, called 'anytime season' dates, remain at $124 for a single park and $179 for two parks.  Ticket prices to Universals new water park, Volcano Bay also remained unchanged at $67.  The increase comes only daysafter Disney World raised ticket prices to its main parks, including the cost of an annual pass.  Universal is expected to open a 'Fast & Furious'themed ride called 'Supercharged,' sometime this spring. The company also has plans for two new hotels.
  • At least 17 people were killed in a high school shooting Wednesday afternoon in Parkland, Florida and more than a dozen others were injured, according to Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel. The lone gunman, identified as Nikolas Cruz, 19, was a former student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and was taken into custody without incident after the attack, Israel said. READ MORE: Who is Nicolas de Jesus Cruz, accused gunman in Florida high school attack? | What to do if you are in an 'active shooter' situation | What is a mass shooting? Definitions can vary | MORE